Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,981 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies - Pets (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies (82630 Views)

A Mysterious Tortoise Appeared In Our Backyard Today. Advise Needed! (pictures) / See This Little Tortoise I Saw At Our Backyard / I Caught This In Lagos: Is This A Tortoise Or Turtle? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by hakm5: 5:56pm On Oct 03, 2019
GOFRONT:
undecided

Last time, It was about the Oldest Gorilla who passed away in UNN....And now a 344 year old Toroise......

Only when they die, That's when we hear about their existence....

That means you are a young lad that doesn't know anything except Tacha. Or you didn't go to school or you are just a chronic ignorant because even my five years old son knew about Alagba

4 Likes

Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by shiffynaani(m): 6:03pm On Oct 03, 2019
logan2:
sorry but I know about this tortoise since I was a kid, funny enough, I never melt him in real life...
Thank God you didn't MELT him in real life; now you can now go and can

1 Like

Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by Boyooosa(m): 6:04pm On Oct 03, 2019
hope he was not eaten...

1 Like

Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by cerpvad(m): 6:08pm On Oct 03, 2019
Tortoise is one of the animals that have longest life span. The remains of the Alagba tortoise should be preserved and kept in any of the Museum of Natural History in the country.
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by FloxySmart(f): 6:08pm On Oct 03, 2019
Make dem bring it’s remain jare make we take am do pepper soup, after all na meat

1 Like

Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by mechanics(m): 6:09pm On Oct 03, 2019
YOUNGELDER1:
344 indeed lipsrsealed
lolz, that means it should have died long time ago.
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by AreaFada2: 6:13pm On Oct 03, 2019
SpecialAdviser:
Im sure some people will start worshiping it. Even calling it their ancestor.

Africans and stupidity are like 5 and 6.
Monkeys, cobra, cattle and many other animals are widely revered and worshipped in India. Are they also Africans? shocked shocked
Copying the culture of others doesn't make you suddenly more civilised or sophisticated than your kilt and kin.

The reason Middle Eastern religions now look attractive is because the owners maintained and spread them. In the beginning adherents were hounded by the governing authorities of those days.

They were considered primitive trouble makers opposing status quo.

4 Likes

Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by midnighter(f): 6:16pm On Oct 03, 2019
Cant believe people get mind to eat hundred-year-old meat..nobody should spread any kind of virus here o
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by OlawaleBammie: 6:19pm On Oct 03, 2019
SpecialAdviser:

Mumu nie, who dash u ur moniker??

if its d oyinbos dat want to kp it as artifact now u wil b hailing dem, but we re tryin to do such, even resisting the urge to disect it into put but u re stil throwing tantrums all over, shiorr

2 Likes

Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by OlawaleBammie: 6:23pm On Oct 03, 2019
NtoAkwaIbom:
Woawww beautiful to know that we were able to conserve that one for that long

I feel some cultures help in animal preservations, in where i am from in akwa ibom, it is a taboo to kill or eat monkey meat, so one finds out, that in the bushes enclosing my area, there are a good number of monkeys that face poaching from outsiders...

In other areas you find out that they dont eat snails, snakes, dogs and the likes... These customs ordinarily helps protect the culture banned animals.. Come to think of it,if it were not the palace's tortoise we all know this tortoise would have been meat some 300years ago, the moment it was caught.. But because it became the property of the gods, it lived to 300yrs.

Maybe the best way to vonserve animals for future generations is to link them to our culturesand make them sacred

what abt killing the monkeys in ur backyard and transportin it to lagos to eat, isit still a taboo??

and monkey meat dey sweet o
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by VicM6: 6:26pm On Oct 03, 2019
lalastical go dy eye dat meat like dat..... see beta pepper soup
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by Olayetan(m): 6:27pm On Oct 03, 2019
sonnie10:

It was among the first living creatures that Oduduwa met when he landed on earth from heaven.

Ehn

But you go school nah...

1 Like

Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by Rotimi47: 6:30pm On Oct 03, 2019
SpecialAdviser:

grin
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by RexTramadol1: 6:36pm On Oct 03, 2019
GREATESTPIANIST:
If you are reading this, and you are a Yahoo Yahoo or scam guy, or 419 etc , please know that you are doomed for life...... That money u HV stolen or acquired illegitimately, u can't enjoy it, gbagbe......... U are only heaping curses on ur head.....so quit such life, retrace ur steps BK to God and engage in decent work, God will surely bless ur handwork if he sees ur heart

Dem Don do you strong thing

Awon omo alaye baje
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by unitysheart(m): 6:40pm On Oct 03, 2019
GOFRONT:
undecided

Last time, It was about the Oldest Gorilla who passed away in UNN....And now a 344 year old Toroise......

If you don't know Alagba then you don't know ogbomoso that well.
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by AdetayoNL(m): 6:50pm On Oct 03, 2019
boss1310:
so who was counting the age knowing fully well that three centuries ago we don't count the years like we do before the arrival of our colonial masters

Through stories pass down from generations. The great great grand father told the great grand father about how his own great grand father has been living with the tortoise.. Have known about that tortoise since I was a kid

2 Likes

Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by gleamy(m): 7:11pm On Oct 03, 2019
NL Admins ehn... In 2016, they posted about this tortoise and claimed it's 330 years... 2016-2019, 3 years difference they say it's 344 years... 3 years cum 14 years...
UR A JOKER!!! ����
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by Bigseven(m): 7:11pm On Oct 03, 2019
Johnnyessence:
may his soul rest in perfect peace. he lived well on the surface of earth.
shey hin get soul ni? Who is doing us thing..
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by cbrass(m): 7:22pm On Oct 03, 2019
omenka:
Forget math and all that. Simply do a radio carbon dating and you wouldnt have to do any guessing or mathematics.

That shouldnt be too hard to perform.

of course but in the case we want to do some manual counting
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by cbrass(m): 7:30pm On Oct 03, 2019
BABSSSOO:
if your great great grand Father died at 90,and your great died 59 years later,and your granny died another 60 after.... and your baba don reach 70 now....meanwhile na all of them know alagba while growing up, oya you calculate alagba age...

God bless you bro, wisdom is really far from these people and they will be here forming as if they have sense

1 Like

Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 8:02pm On Oct 03, 2019
OlawaleBammie:

what abt killing the monkeys in ur backyard and transportin it to lagos to eat, isit still a taboo??

and monkey meat dey sweet o

Lols... Still taboo
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by OgbeniSamm(m): 8:08pm On Oct 03, 2019
MelesZenawi:
How do they know the tortoise is 344 years..?

How do they know that the USA is 243 years old?

2 Likes

Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by oloyedayo(m): 8:13pm On Oct 03, 2019
Alagba was allegedly brought to the palace by Soun Ikumoyede Ajao, the third Soun of Ogbomoso, who is believed to have been born sometime in the late 16th century and who reigned in the 17th.

Mr. Ajamu Oluwatoyin, the secretary of the current Soun says dating of the kingship of Ogbomoso was started by the elite in 1797 during the reign of Oba Toyeje Akanni (1797 to 1825), the fourth Soun and one time Are Ona Kakanfo (the Yoruba Nation Generalissimo).

1 Like

Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by planetx: 8:27pm On Oct 03, 2019
Meaning the tortoise was born during the time of the trans Atlantic slave trade hmmm.
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by DSHADOWWALKER: 8:47pm On Oct 03, 2019
Man102:

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/tribuneonlineng.com/breaking-344-year-old-tortoise-in-soun-of-ogbomosos-palace-is-dead/amp/

According to guiness world records,the world's oldest tortoise lived for 189years
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by DSHADOWWALKER: 8:52pm On Oct 03, 2019
NotFarFrom:
It is very possible. Tortoise can live for up to 500years.

Shut up there,the Oldest living tortoise lived for 189years
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by osazsky(m): 8:59pm On Oct 03, 2019
Kia see fresh meet how I wish I could lay my hands on this thing,y is dis thing so expensive in Benin city see d small one I bought for 4k pot nor even full self sweetest meet ever
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by above2811(m): 9:01pm On Oct 03, 2019
GOFRONT:
undecided

You need to GOFRONT as your Username because I don't think you know anything at all. You mean you just heard of that tortoise from that ancient city. Sorry is your name.
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by luluosas(m): 9:27pm On Oct 03, 2019
Tell us the exact age sir
YOUNGELDER1:
344 indeed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by Solsix(m): 9:29pm On Oct 03, 2019
GOFRONT:
undecided

The hunger in the land is affecting both the animals
Re: 344-Year-Old Tortoise 'Alagba' Is Dead! Tortoise In Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies by omoadeleye(m): 9:39pm On Oct 03, 2019
Arysexy:
Lies! 344 wetin? They wan their own UNN Gorilla to trend.

Do we even have the technology to detect such in Nigeria. Even common Radio-carbon dating that gives rough estimate, we don't have.

Something is wrong with you... You are just exhibiting an act of ignorance...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dean Schneider; The Man That Belongs To A Lion’s Pride / My Pet Snake / Rottweiler Dog Bites Pupil To Death In Port-Harcourt, Shot Dead After. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.