Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,338 members, 7,780,888 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:52 AM

Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy - Pets (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy (17035 Views)

Meet Roxy.. My 3 Months Old Gsd / Roxy The Rottweiler / Roxy, My First Pet (GSD). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by IamAnderson(m): 10:40am On Dec 14, 2019
Dreazy23:
So we got another pup(bailey) she's different!!!
Bailey has inflicted more injuries on me that Rex and Roxy combine....she is calm at all.
He disturbs Rex so much that Rex which doesn't allow Roxy near his food allows her eat his food just so she would leave him alone.
She mouths alot and so agressive we can't even leave her for long with Rex cause we fear Rex might just switch and kill her...iamanderson, she behaves similar to Roscoe when he was little were you able to reduce the aggression or you just worked with it.
She has been with us for 3 weeks or so
(She's so agile we didn't even do leash and collar training)
She's just 3months old also
just train her and channel the aggression into other things, socialize her too and her head will level down.
I started playing tug of war with Roscoe and also some rough play where I pad my hands and make him attack me like we're fighting till he gets rid of the excess energy and calms down.
I also took him outside sometimes to sniff around and walk around the area with me, that also works in making the dog more focused.
with time she'll calm down but the aggression will always be there, she'll just be less reckless.

don't try to chain her or lock her up too much because you're just going to create a problem for yourself, just engage her in exercise and play and with time she'll calm down and start thinking properly.

I still do the rough play till date (I even did it this morning), sometimes if he hasn't been walked for a while he starts misbehaving again so I wrestle with him or play tug of war and he'll relax later on.
right now he's relaxing after the session we had this morning.

I know you're wondering if you'll get bitten during the wrestling cheesy
well when she's a puppy she can't control her bites so she'll definitely injure you hence the wrapping your hands with things.
when she grows up and she can control her bites then you'll be less at risk.
right now I can wrestle with Roscoe with short sleeves without pads and not get scratched even as he bites my hands and drags them because he can control the intensity of the bite wink
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Greenarrow01(m): 11:22am On Dec 14, 2019
IamAnderson:

just train her and channel the aggression into other things, socialize her too and her head will level down.
I started playing tug of war with Roscoe and also some rough play where I pad my hands and make him attack me like we're fighting till he gets rid of the excess energy and calms down.
I also took him outside sometimes to sniff around and walk around the area with me, that also works in making the dog more focused.
with time she'll calm down but the aggression will always be there, she'll just be less reckless.

don't try to chain her or lock her up too much because you're just going to create a problem for yourself, just engage her in exercise and play and with time she'll calm down and start thinking properly.

I still do the rough play till date (I even did it this morning), sometimes if he hasn't been walked for a while he starts misbehaving again so I wrestle with him or play tug of war and he'll relax later on.
right now he's relaxing after the session we had this morning.

I know you're wondering if you'll get bitten during the wrestling cheesy
well when she's a puppy she can't control her bites so she'll definitely injure you hence the wrapping your hands with things.
when she grows up and she can control her bites then you'll be less at risk.
right now I can wrestle with Roscoe with short sleeves without pads and not get scratched even as he bites my hands and drags them because he can control the intensity of the bite wink

so my dog karik is now 8months plus.
got a good trainer for him about three weeks ago.
the trainer seems good..cos his dog is well trained.
man can ask the dog to stay at a point for 20 minutes and he will stay. he attacks on the word "get him" and stops only when asked to. the dog understands so many commands.
i paid 20k for my dog to be trained by this man. paid 10k in advance..and will bal the rst. my dog hasnt picked oooh

the man cimes only once in 4 days.. and the deal was to run for 2 weeks.. tgen extra two weekend.
in all karik hasnt learned much.

i now have holidays from monday till next year..i will wanna do this training myself.

how shoukd i go about it.

1. stop the dog from draging me or goingbin front, side ways or behind when i am walking him

2 obey commans once..without me repeatung those commands.

3. obey the stop command, get him command. come here command, lie down command, shake command, inside command and jump command.

4. what treat can i use effectively.

5. will 3 weeks be enough.

i have watched videos and i am not getting them wella.
i wanna be able to walk my dog round a crowdy place without leash..or fair.

also.. man is so afraid of crossing expreess.. this is a dog i have walked atleast twice weekly along tarred road since he was two montgs plus.

karik is a caucasian...

Son of pumba and Lola of bsquared

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by IamAnderson(m): 12:30pm On Dec 14, 2019
Greenarrow01:

so my dog karik is now 8months plus.
got a good trainer for him about three weeks ago.
the trainer seems good..cos his dog is well trained.
man can ask the dog to stay at a point for 20 minutes and he will stay. he attacks on the word "get him" and stops only when asked to. the dog understands so many commands.
i paid 20k for my dog to be trained by this man. paid 10k in advance..and will bal the rst. my dog hasnt picked oooh

the man cimes only once in 4 days.. and the deal was to run for 2 weeks.. tgen extra two weekend.
in all karik hasnt learned much.

i now have holidays from monday till next year..i will wanna do this training myself.

how shoukd i go about it.

1. stop the dog from draging me or goingbin front, side ways or behind when i am walking him

2 obey commans once..without me repeatung those commands.

3. obey the stop command, get him command. come here command, lie down command, shake command, inside command and jump command.

4. what treat can i use effectively.

5. will 3 weeks be enough.

i have watched videos and i am not getting them wella.
i wanna be able to walk my dog round a crowdy place without leash..or fair.

also.. man is so afraid of crossing expreess.. this is a dog i have walked atleast twice weekly along tarred road since he was two montgs plus.

karik is a caucasian...

Son of pumba and Lola of bsquared
well sorry to break the news to you but if you wanted a dog that'll act like how you're describing then a Caucasian shepherd isn't what you should have gotten cheesy

they are very stubborn dogs no matter how well trained they are and I don't think 3weeks is enough to train an 8 month Caucasian to behave like a military dog.
training a Caucasian shepherd is a full time job, and they still won't act like how you want except you do it frequently and for long.
and I don't think walking him without leash in a crowded place is a good idea because people might get scared and act a certain way that can trigger him to attack, not every dog is stable enough for that exercise.

you can still train him tho but he won't pick everything well till he's mature, some commands you want him to learn are too advanced for his age(he's just 8 months right?).
I can give you a few tips but don't expect too much from a puppy.
and I'm very sure the trainer's dog isn't a Caucasian or 8 months old, the breed and age of your dog has to be considered during training
send me a message on Whatsapp
p.s tarik looks nice, I've seen his parents he's growing well
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Greenarrow01(m): 4:30pm On Dec 14, 2019
IamAnderson:

well sorry to break the news to you but if you wanted a dog that'll act like how you're describing then a Caucasian shepherd isn't what you should have gotten cheesy

they are very stubborn dogs no matter how well trained they are and I don't think 3weeks is enough to train an 8 month Caucasian to behave like a military dog.
training a Caucasian shepherd is a full time job, and they still won't act like how you want except you do it frequently and for long.
and I don't think walking him without leash in a crowded place is a good idea because people might get scared and act a certain way that can trigger him to attack, not every dog is stable enough for that exercise.

you can still train him tho but he won't pick everything well till he's mature, some commands you want him to learn are too advanced for his age(he's just 8 months right?).
I can give you a few tips but don't expect too much from a puppy.
and I'm very sure the trainer's dog isn't a Caucasian or 8 months old, the breed and age of your dog has to be considered during training
send me a message on Whatsapp
p.s tarik looks nice, I've seen his parents he's growing well

You are right..
The trainers dog is 7years .. And also not a cauc. Thanks.. Maybe I am expecting too much
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by IamAnderson(m): 4:58pm On Dec 14, 2019
Greenarrow01:

You are right..
The trainers dog is 7years .. And also not a cauc. Thanks.. Maybe I am expecting too much
training him is still possible though you can text me on Whatsapp I'll see if I can give you some tips
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Greenarrow01(m): 5:24pm On Dec 14, 2019
IamAnderson:

training him is still possible though you can text me on Whatsapp I'll see if I can give you some tips
I will text you sir.. Thank you
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 7:17pm On Dec 15, 2019
IamAnderson:

ask him if he can take the dog anywhere or go for any dog walk event or even go see a vet.
does that kind of dog seem like something that's good now?

my dog is still very aggressive to intruders like his but the difference is that mine is level headed when he needs to be, I can walk him comfortably, noise and crowds don't trigger him and he knows when to be aggressive and when to be calm and when to attack. which type of behaviour would you prefer your dog having?

Definitely a level headed dog, no one wants a psychopath for a dog
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 7:19pm On Dec 15, 2019
IamAnderson:

he will attack when he's older, he's still a pup

Hopefully, I can see his territorial side kicking off so I'm not even really concerned about agression.
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by IamAnderson(m): 2:54am On Dec 16, 2019
Dreazy23:

Hopefully, I can see his territorial side kicking off so I'm not even really concerned about agression.
I sent you a message on Whatsapp let's talk about bailey
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 9:00pm On Dec 16, 2019
IamAnderson:

I sent you a message on Whatsapp let's talk about bailey

sorry, my phone is bad at the moment(using my laptop)....i will get to back when i replace it.

i really appreciate you.
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by IamAnderson(m): 10:19pm On Dec 16, 2019
Dreazy23:

sorry, my phone is bad at the moment(using my laptop)....i will get to back when i replace it.

i really appreciate you.
okay no problem send me a message when you can
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 9:03am On Dec 17, 2019
IamAnderson:

okay no problem send me a message when you can

Definitely
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 5:47pm On Dec 17, 2019
So I have brought this up one time but still experiencing the same issue, Rex is Meat Agressive

Once you've handed meat to him he doesn't know anyone again....i thought it's something that he will grow out of but he's far from that.

Basically I can get bitten by Rex if I disturb his meat time but he's cool with food, I can put my hands in his mouth when he's eating his food and nothing but once it's meat it's totally different.

Tips on how to curb this? cause it's Dangerous for the new pup who like disturbing him and also for me
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 7:21pm On Dec 19, 2019
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by IamAnderson(m): 8:08pm On Dec 19, 2019
Dreazy23:
So I have brought this up one time but still experiencing the same issue, Rex is Meat Agressive

Once you've handed meat to him he doesn't know anyone again....i thought it's something that he will grow out of but he's far from that.

Basically I can get bitten by Rex if I disturb his meat time but he's cool with food, I can put my hands in his mouth when he's eating his food and nothing but once it's meat it's totally different.

Tips on how to curb this? cause it's Dangerous for the new pup who like disturbing him and also for me
try to stop simply handing the meat to him
hold the meat and let him sit or lay down before you give him, also when you give him let him eat it while you hold it, if he tries to take it away or growl at you then take it and walk away.
with time he'll understand he has to be well mannered or no treats, he's just acting like that because he really loves meat and he's testing your boundaries.
I did this and it worked, now if my dog wants the meat in my hand he'll sit and wait for me to hand it to him before he takes it slowly and runs away with it to eat it were no one will disturb him .
it's like you're scared of Rex cheesy
don't let him see that, his testing is just beginning, if you don't assume the alpha role he'll only come harder for you when he's older.
sometimes when he sets boundaries, break them and you'll see he's just testing how much power you have over him.
when my dog went through this faze I used to ignore his grolws and remove whatever I wanted to remove from his mouth no matter how much he growled or snarled at me.
it got easier later on, right now he allows me touch any part of his body anyhow I want, I also have free access to his mouth which helps me a lot during grooming or brushing

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 8:40am On Dec 21, 2019
IamAnderson:

try to stop simply handing the meat to him
hold the meat and let him sit or lay down before you give him, also when you give him let him eat it while you hold it, if he tries to take it away or growl at you then take it and walk away.
with time he'll understand he has to be well mannered or no treats, he's just acting like that because he really loves meat and he's testing your boundaries.
I did this and it worked, now if my dog wants the meat in my hand he'll sit and wait for me to hand it to him before he takes it slowly and runs away with it to eat it were no one will disturb him .
it's like you're scared of Rex cheesy
don't let him see that, his testing is just beginning, if you don't assume the alpha role he'll only come harder for you when he's older.
sometimes when he sets boundaries, break them and you'll see he's just testing how much power you have over him.
when my dog went through this faze I used to ignore his grolws and remove whatever I wanted to remove from his mouth no matter how much he growled or snarled at me.
it got easier later on, right now he allows me touch any part of his body anyhow I want, I also have free access to his mouth which helps me a lot during grooming or brushing

It's actually working although he injured me by mistake now he just growls but when I collect it he just looks like please na grin

But he still attacks bailey if she comes close when he's eating Meat
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by IamAnderson(m): 10:07am On Dec 21, 2019
Dreazy23:

It's actually working although he injured me by mistake now he just growls but when I collect it he just looks like please na grin

But he still attacks bailey if she comes close when he's eating Meat
that's good smiley
just keep on doing it and he'll learn, don't stop until you have total control over his behavior around food, still continue again when he's grown and more mature
I don't think you should let Bailey disturb him while he's eating tho, he might harm her.
try to chain them apart during feeding time.

oh and how's Bailey acting now? have you started training her to calm her down?
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Spanishmilf(m): 10:26am On Dec 21, 2019
IamAnderson:

that's good smiley
just keep on doing it and he'll learn, don't stop until you have total control over his behavior around food, still continue again when he's grown and more mature
I don't think you should let Bailey disturb him while he's eating tho, he might harm her.

I'm alao getting a Caucasian i heard they eat alot
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by IamAnderson(m): 1:13pm On Dec 21, 2019
Spanishmilf:
like mad cheesy
one day I'll snap Roscoe's food and show you guys.
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2019
IamAnderson:

that's good smiley

Rex is just Meat Agressive not food Agressive grin
Rex loves bailey, sometimes bailey even sleeps in his kennel but I think she has learnt to back off when Rex is eating his meat asides meat they're really cool with each other.

Yes I have been trying to manage her Agressive nature and it's reducing but still the normal mouthing but she now knows how to control the bites a bit and she substitute with licks now
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2019
IamAnderson:

that's good smiley

Rex is just Meat Agressive not food Agressive grin
Rex loves bailey, sometimes bailey even sleeps in his kennel but I think she has learnt to back off when Rex is eating his meat asides meat they're really cool with each other.

Yes I have been trying to manage her Agressive nature and it's reducing but still the normal mouthing but she now knows how to control the bites a bit and she substitute with licks now.
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 5:00pm On Dec 21, 2019
Spanishmilf:

Yes and No for me, Rex is a very light eater right from day 1, Roxy was never full, bailey is just in the middle (normal)

I think it varies
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 5:01pm On Dec 21, 2019
IamAnderson:

like mad cheesy
one day I'll snap Roscoe's food and show you guys.

How many times do you feed Roscoe?

I still feed Rex thrice a day cause of the way he eats
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 5:05pm On Dec 21, 2019
N.b: I will post pictures of bailey as soon as I get a phone
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by IamAnderson(m): 6:05pm On Dec 21, 2019
Dreazy23:

How many times do you feed Roscoe?
I still feed Rex thrice a day cause of the way he eats
Roscoe eats once a day now
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 7:23pm On Dec 21, 2019
IamAnderson:

Roscoe eats once a day now

That would be one big bowl
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by IamAnderson(m): 8:25pm On Dec 21, 2019
Dreazy23:

That would be one big bowl
yeah he eats in a basin lol
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by UniportAgbero: 12:12am On Dec 23, 2019
I followed your thread and I've just gotten a Caucasian, Zeus. He's just wonderful. He's 9 weeks old but doesn't eat any other food but Diamond puppy and canned pedigree beef.
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 8:38pm On Dec 23, 2019
UniportAgbero:
I followed your thread and I've just gotten a Caucasian, Zeus. He's just wonderful. He's 9 weeks old but doesn't eat any other food but Diamond puppy and canned pedigree beef.

Hi There, he's just used to it so and that's why he doesn't eat any other food(although expensive it's good for him).

You can introduce the food you desire to make him use to by putting little quantity among the one he already eats and then increase the amount with time. You will notice change in his poo cause of the change of diet.

Also for his age the dog food is necessary cause it contains nutrients to help him grow well.

I wish you the best with your furry friend.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by UniportAgbero: 8:29am On Dec 24, 2019
Dreazy23:

Hi There, he's just used to it so and that's why he doesn't eat any other food(although expensive it's good for him).

You can introduce the food you desire to make him use to by putting little quantity among the one he already eats and then increase the amount with time. You will notice change in his poo cause of the change of diet.

Also for his age the dog food is necessary cause it contains nutrients to help him grow well.

I wish you the best with your furry friend.

Thanks a lot
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 9:43pm On Dec 25, 2019
UniportAgbero:

Thanks a lot

You're welcome

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 1:29pm On Jan 01, 2020
Happy New year from Rex and Bailey.
Wishing everyone a fruitful year ahead!!!

Pictures cause it’s a new year grin
Rex is currently 7months and 1 week
Bailey is 2months 3weeks

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

All Dogs Go To Heaven: How Belief In Pet Afterlife Has Risen Over The Last 150Yr / Plz Expert,how Can I Make My Dog Aggressive And Bark? / Meet Zoey My Sable Female GSD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.