Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,449 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

[Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" - Programming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" (20005 Views)

My Journey To Getting A Remote Job / How Did You Land You First Job As A Self-taught Developer? / Working Or Looking For Foreign Remote Software Developer Job As A Nigerian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by shegzhkn: 9:06pm On Oct 07, 2019
MountainView:

None, I just market market myself
didn't catch that , market your self like how ?
or those platform are not good enough for you ?
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by MountainView: 9:10pm On Oct 07, 2019
shegzhkn:

didn't catch that , market your self like how ?

or those platform are not good enough for you ?

I don't use them, Bro, I tried them, it didn't work out well for me.
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by shegzhkn: 9:12pm On Oct 07, 2019
MountainView:

I don't use them, Bro, I tried them, it didn't work out well for me.

OK , did you try codementor.io or any other platform your skill set might be needed ?

did you have people cashing in on fiverr and the rest ?

1 Like

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by MountainView: 9:23pm On Oct 07, 2019
shegzhkn:

OK , did you try codementor.io or any other platform your skill set might be needed ?

did you have people cashing in on fiverr and the rest ?

There are people these platforms work for, I happen not to be lucky enough
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by shegzhkn: 9:27pm On Oct 07, 2019
MountainView:

There are people these platforms work for, I happen not to be lucky enough

competition on it ain't healthy at all especially for computer programmers , Pakistani , Indian guys full the place gan .

hope you doing something at least ?
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by MountainView: 9:33pm On Oct 07, 2019
shegzhkn:

competition on it ain't healthy at all especially for computer programmers , Pakistani , Indian guys full the place gan .

hope you doing something at least ?

I'm just working on my website at the moment, the one at my signature, That's where all my Energy is at the moment.

What about you??
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by shegzhkn: 10:10am On Oct 08, 2019
MountainView:

I'm just working on my website at the moment, the one at my signature, That's where all my Energy is at the moment.

What about you??

was replying you yesterday my phone went off , M sorry .

I am a mobile developer android to be precise , and also do back end technologies hoping to build the next big thing.

actually I have some idea but I have implemented yet for now , still learning some advanced stuff and am trying to provide services and product people are willing to buy.
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by MountainView: 10:20am On Oct 08, 2019
shegzhkn:

was replying you yesterday my phone went off , M sorry .

I am a mobile developer android to be precise , and also do back end technologies hoping to build the next big thing.

actually I have some idea but I have implemented yet for now , still learning some advanced stuff and am trying to provide services and product people are willing to buy.

Hope you don't mind sharing them with me?
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by shegzhkn: 10:35am On Oct 08, 2019
MountainView:

Share me ? Hope you know the story of the winklovoss and mark zuckerberg ? Lol

well it just stuff we've known for decade , just trying to add some disruptive innovation .

1. a mobile centric e-commerce platform where you don't don't search for item you are looking for but you choose icon and features that describe the product , comparison of product cluster , etc

2. an edtech startup taking STEM courses some thing like a game but you are actually learning , like having fun and learning at the same time but as market expand I can monetise it where users can pay for annual subscription

That is just what I have now , you know ....
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by Cannonleo(m): 3:26pm On Oct 08, 2019
Predstan:

U are good to go being one. You just need some experience to break into the right industry.

If you are one, I will advise you follow "Victor Asemota" on Twitter. He is an IT Don, he own a very Big IT firm, follow up with him to get some innovative ideas from his tweets. You can break into those industry with the required experience
thank you bro whats his handle properly
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by shegzhkn: 4:40pm On Oct 08, 2019
MountainView:

u there sis ?
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by MountainView: 5:55pm On Oct 08, 2019
shegzhkn:

u there sis ?

Bro, I'm a guy, Sowi, thought I had replied that your previous quote, just pm me let's talk further
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by shegzhkn: 12:12pm On Oct 10, 2019
MountainView:

Bro, I'm a guy, Sowi, thought I had replied that your previous quote, just pm me let's talk further

man , can u use camtasia ? you know what it is I guess ?
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by MountainView: 1:34pm On Oct 10, 2019
shegzhkn:

man , can u use camtasia ? you know what it is I guess ?

I know what it is, but never used it before
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by shegzhkn: 1:39pm On Oct 10, 2019
MountainView:

kk , wanted to see if you know how get it license key the software is 299 USD.
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by shegzhkn: 1:40pm On Oct 10, 2019
MountainView:

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by shegzhkn: 1:40pm On Oct 10, 2019
MountainView:

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by Kvngfrosh(m): 2:15am On Oct 11, 2019
Pls can someone recommend an instructor or A teacher on udemy that can help me Understand Web development
Most courses I am taking presently I am NT grabbing it at all

1 Like

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by Nobody: 6:27am On Oct 12, 2019
sparkle7:

I beg to disagree on the above. What metrics did you use to come up with the above false conclusion? You haven't even graced any software summit organised by the the National Computer science body. There you will see badass programmers who dhtml can't even untie their shoe lace.
I agreed with your other points but the bolded is simple off track and false.
That you saw some computer science student struggling at the initial stage doesn't mean they didn't succeed in being good with programming.
You saying that MOST good programmers in Nigeria didn't study computer science is simply fallacious from all ramifications.
You just saw 2 good ones and made up your conclusions.
Please endeavor to carry out a detailed research before you make such statements.
Thank you.

Lol me that i study free computer science books everynight you can code without computer science knlwledge but when its time to understand whats going on, Data structure, Algorithms are extremely crucial. Knowing the growth of your algorithm is key , check out this github repo OSS Computer Science. Its not easy but worth it when you grasp the concept.

So many things you will struggle with if you didnt study computer science but the good part is you can teach yourself. There's one dude i met in the emulation scene he wrote an OpenGL for the PS2 emulator which is an hard feat, this guy never studied computer science and went straight to just learning. Alot of devs esp outside the country are practical, they first write a code that works, then later optimize ,its mostly here we have an unhealthy view to coding we assume coders must know all languages and be able to recall algorithms easily. I met a C++ Dev in Atlanta at work planning , this man has 30 yrs he told me, when he applied for a C++ for Linux he didnt know shit about compiling to linux he lied and got the job and started studying and took him some weeks, whats the morale, if you are passionate start , but always remember the foundation because as data are getting bigger, comp sci core skills are getting more important to know than ever esp with ML and other things. Thats my honest advice. Plus i am still learning, its not a competition no one is better than the other, just that some devs spend more time studyung and practicing so its onky natural for them to be that good at what they do. Once you remove the ego, and just see yourself as a student, it will himble you to pick up a tech and know youre trying your best init. Companies employ devs who are passionate, we've at a point didnt pick a smart dev because of his ego attitude. Being passionate is key, a dev willing to learn and fruther his knowledge is one that a company will always hire on the spot. IBM hired my friemd who i knew had 0 years of experience as a dev, but she wrote codes day and night while studying. I hope this helps.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 12, 2019
jossydee1:

Don't waste your time on Java (I'm telling you this because I assume you are just about to start. If you have started it already, I wouldn't want to discourage you)

Follow it the way I ask you to;

HTML
CSS
JavaScript

You will come back and thank me.

I knew this in a hard way...you don't have to go the hard way too.

My piece of advice

Dont write Java off, with Java you can write alot of microservices easily, Android apps, build console and Desktop applicatipns, there's more to programming than builindg websites. I use Java to do some low level work like stealing songs from notjustok becsuse java has thread and i can spin up thread to do more work, JS is single threaded so imagine the headache i will. I always advise to start with a static typed lamguage. I started with c++, only reason I got into programming was because someone played Playstation1 on my comouter and i was curious to study how it works, i was always curious as a child as to how things work.

1 Like

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by brandable: 9:38am On Oct 12, 2019
pcguru1:

Dont write Java off, with Java you can write alot of microservices easily, Android apps, build console and Desktop applicatipns, there's more to programming than builindg websites. I use Java to do some low level work like stealing songs from notjustok becsuse java has thread and i can spin up thread to do more work, JS is single threaded so imagine the headache i will. I always advise to start with a static typed lamguage. I started with c++, only reason I got into programming was because someone played Playstation1 on my comouter and i was curious to study how it works, i was always curious as a child as to how things work.

Can java be used to automate things. Like being a bot developer and using API to pull an account. I intend venturing into such sector.
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by tizzdi(m): 10:44pm On Feb 21, 2020
Predstan:

Learn Very well and Understand it. I can tell you, you will make money and more money, I'm not a developer, just an analyst and a tester and I know how much I rake after each project.

But learn to develop and not to secure a job
how can i move to this field bro...i read CS...would like to be a tester also cus developing no b my tin
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by bet9ja(m): 11:05pm On Feb 21, 2020
tizzdi:
how can i move to this field bro...i read CS...would like to be a tester also cus developing no b my tin
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by bet9ja(m): 11:20pm On Feb 21, 2020
Kvngfrosh:
Pls can someone recommend an instructor or A teacher on udemy that can help me Understand Web development
Most courses I am taking presently I am NT grabbing it at all
I will advise you to start with w3school and codecademy. Start with HTML5/CSS3. Don't jump to Jquery after mastering the duo. Learn vanilla javascript. Learn how to traverse the DOM using javascript. Once u understand the idea of javascript. U can learn jquery

1 Like

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by tizzdi(m): 1:04am On Feb 22, 2020
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by Codysseus: 2:02am On Mar 15, 2020
nelsonoba:

Very well said! I studied Mechanical Engineering in Uni, but I started learning programming years after I graduated. I didn't just learn wordpress, I learnt HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, Laravel, Angular, Vue.js, Node.js, Typescript, MySQL, NoSQL. I didn't go to school to learn them, I took many courses on YouTube and Udemy, and I did many personal projects to practice what I was learning and I was very consistent in my learning process. I didn't give up even when I faced many hurdles I found difficult to cross until I crossed them. From the day I started my first course beginning with HTML to the day I got my first job in the industry as a Junior PHP developer was about 13 months. After being on the job for about 6 months and I updated my CV to include my few months of experience plus the other new technology stack I had also learnt since I started my first job, I posted my CV online and updated my LinkedIn, and I started getting regular job offers from recruiters almost everyday. In order not to exaggerate, any week I don't receive offers from recruiters to accept their interview invitations for a job they have available, I receive nothing less than 2 invitations. There are some days when I receive up to 3 different invitations for job interviews and I haven't applied for any of them.

The point is this; be very serious with your learning. Don't go into web development just to learn how to build wordpress websites. And don't be a mediocre. Push yourself consistently and keep learning and practicing, and after a while jobs will start chasing you. Don't go into this industry so that you can get a job after 3months of training or even after 6months. You need to give it time and consistency. In fact, if I were to advice a novice who wants to start now, I will tell them to budget at least the next 18months of their life to tedious learning from courses and practicing, and to be honest, if they follow this rigorous procedure, even before the 18th month, jobs would be looking for them. Again, don't expect to be learning like only 10hours or less a week and be able to achieve this target in that 18months

Most of the good programmers in Nigeria today didn't study computer science.

Pcguru, a popular programmer on this platform didn't study computer science.

Dhtml18, who has now deactivated his account, another popular programmer here didn't study computer science. In fact, Dhtml18's case is very interesting, because he studied medicine and surgery, became a qualified doctor but he is not practicing medicine, rather he's programming and he has worked with many notable organizations.

Note: there is a world of difference between a web programmer and a WordPress installer.

Bro please kindly advise me on which path to follow in becoming a self-taught web(and mobile) developer. I'm ready to learn the whole day. I just need a guide on how to start and where I can get free resources for learning as I can't afford these bootcamp training in Lagos. Thanks
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by abimijul1: 7:51am On Mar 15, 2020
Starrygold Comprehensive and Affordable WEB DESIGN VIDEO TRAINING!!

Take advantage of Starrygold video training to develop your long awaited Passion for Web development. For more info on the web design training package and how to place your order, kindly contact me on 08062761209 or send me a text on WhatsApp.

You can also register on our platform with this link:  http://starrygoldacademy.com/app/website%20design/?ref=ebenezer

Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by nelsonoba: 10:10pm On Mar 15, 2020
Codysseus:

Bro please kindly advise me on which path to follow in becoming a self-taught web(and mobile) developer. I'm ready to learn the whole day. I just need a guide on how to start and where I can get free resources for learning as I can't afford these bootcamp training in Lagos. Thanks
Maybe send me a dm
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by Codysseus: 7:18am On Mar 16, 2020
nelsonoba:

Maybe send me a dm

Bro u may add me on Whatsapp if u don't mind. 07031957083
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by Sheffdon: 1:12pm On Apr 25, 2021
Predstan:

Learn Very well and Understand it. I can tell you, you will make money and more money, I'm not a developer, just an analyst and a tester and I know how much I rake after each project.

But learn to develop and not to secure a job
hi bro. I'm inspired by this post. Pls can you direct me on how to become an ANALYST AND A TESTER and where to source for work then I'll take on the rest by my self. Thanks

Note i know you might be busy or something, I'm not requesting you to teach me bro.

Just tell me how to start it and where to find work if im thru. Thanks
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by shiffynaani(m): 11:47pm On May 06, 2021
Predstan:

I'm a test Analyst(Quality Assurance Analyst). Not a Data analyst Sir
boss I've started learning programming. Can i become quality assurance tester like you if I'v known html, css and JavaScript to some level?

And where can i start to test to make money?

Thanks sir
Re: [Career Post] "What Are My Chances Of Getting A Job As A Web Developer?" by Predstan: 1:36am On May 07, 2021
shiffynaani:
boss I've started learning programming. Can i become quality assurance tester like you if I'v known html, css and JavaScript to some level?

And where can i start to test to make money?

Thanks sir

If you have learnt all of this and can confidently use these languages. You shouldn’t be looking for Testing jobs. You can haunt for developer jobs....

For testing, we use mostly Python and drivers such as chrome drivers and softwares like Selenium(open source), Soap UI e.t.c...

Searching for Jobs in IT? LinkedIn works very well, Twitter as well. I will advice remote jobs with the current situation of Nigeria. Connect with people and search critically for jobs that you meet their minimal requirements. You can also sign up for freelance on Utest, Fiverr and Upwork. My brother does this and helps with Python in GIS(surveying) softwares and data analysis. You can also do the same for testing and code development

@sheffdon so sorry I didn’t respond to early. This will help as well

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Let's Stop Talking About Password Strength / Is It Late To Start Learning Programming @ 28 Years? / Female OAU Graduate Wins N1m In iROKOtv Programming Contest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.