Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,869 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:55 PM

If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? (31741 Views)

UK People Are Miserable, Nigerians Are 'happy' / Kenyan Says Nigerians Are Operating Like Chinese And Taking Over African Nations / Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by holocron: 9:41pm On Oct 05, 2019
babasolution:
i am so dissapointed in the comments on this thread,gosh many people here have terrible low self esteem and inferiority complex,they are also evil,making dooming pronouncement and curses on nigeria and the black race,all i know is that Nigeria will be great and the black race will be great

Oga, face reality. First step in solving a problem is acknowledgement of the problem.
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by babasolution: 9:44pm On Oct 05, 2019
holocron:

Oga, face reality. First step in solving a problem is acknowledgement of the problem.

true,but we shouldnt curse ourselves in the process,we can acknowledge our failures and seek to improve without damning ourselves

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by ednut1(m): 9:52pm On Oct 05, 2019
babasolution:
i am so dissapointed in the comments on this thread,gosh many people here have terrible low self esteem and inferiority complex,they are also evil,making dooming pronouncement and curses on nigeria and the black race,all i know is that Nigeria will be great and the black race will be great
if black race tries to catch up. Do you think others will be looking . Nigeria as a country is doomed. The earlier you realise and accept. A tortoise cannot gap a rate in a 100m race
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by MILLERMannn: 9:55pm On Oct 05, 2019
malcomxjr:
We are intelligent no doubt about that but the environment is not willing to support your idea which makes it a disease. Also we have great numbers of dream killers and stealers where you tell someone your idea then they tell you it won’t work and they go behind you and execute the ideas.Another point is Nepotism l believe you understands the cause.God bless us
Exactly. I could remember while teaching for a particular school. I authored a practical workbook for the students only for the supervisor to tell me that such is not allowed in the school. Only to my surprise, 3 weeks after, she bought similar workbook from outside for students to use. That is the first time the school will introduce it to the students_something of my idea. My question is why did she refuse mine? Up till now I have been unable to figure out the answer.

3 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by ericmor: 9:57pm On Oct 05, 2019
pocohantas:
What Nigerians call smartness, would most times turn out to be total disresgard for the next person, basic etiquette, moral values, laws or rules and regulations.

A Nigerian will drive one way, get to the front- return to the correct lane and feel like a sharp guy.

A Nigerian will jump the queue, luckily they get attended to by whoever after dropping N200. They come back to you that is standing on the queue like a sane human being and tell you that you are not STREET SMART. So, you fit sleep here today o...Truly you might sleep there.

Na this kind smartness we dey exhibit most times. Majority of us are guilty of one or more. Not our fault sha, it is the kind of smartness you need to survive in a third world country, where everything-including the government is working against you.

The people that are BOOK SMART (we call them efiko and even demonise them), we stereotype them as clumsy and timid- NOT STREET SMART. The ones going about their businesses jejely are not left out from the above stereotype.

That is why when we go to countries where normal humans are, we complain it is slow, boring...etc. We have to relearn to live, because we have only been existing/surviving in the jungle we hopped on the plane from.

Normal human ke? So we are not normal abi? Isorite. Anyway, is all in the holy bible, cus everything God says God do which is y we take religion more than the white people. Only if u can think deep and ask for wisdom then u will understand y we are like dis
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by hopefulLandlord: 9:58pm On Oct 05, 2019
pocohantas:
What Nigerians call smartness, would most times turn out to be total disresgard for the next person, basic etiquette, moral values, laws or rules and regulations.

A Nigerian will drive one way, get to the front- return to the correct lane and feel like a sharp guy.

A Nigerian will jump the queue, luckily they get attended to by whoever after dropping N200. They come back to you that is standing on the queue like a sane human being and tell you that you are not STREET SMART. So, you fit sleep here today o...Truly you might sleep there.

Na this kind smartness we dey exhibit most times. Majority of us are guilty of one or more. Not our fault sha, it is the kind of smartness you need to survive in a third world country, where everything-including the government is working against you.

The people that are BOOK SMART (we call them efiko and even demonise them), we stereotype them as clumsy and timid- NOT STREET SMART. The ones going about their businesses jejely are not left out from the above stereotype.

That is why when we go to countries where normal humans are, we complain it is slow, boring...etc. We have to relearn to live, because we have only been existing/surviving in the jungle we hopped on the plane from.
I'm impressed

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by WillTop: 10:02pm On Oct 05, 2019
Nigerian's only claim to be smart but we are actually not that intelligent (of course there will be pockets of intelligent people anywhere in the world but as whole most African countries are not smart). 1 simple example Nigeria population increased from approximately 45miillion in 1960 to 180million+ in 2019 predicted to be around 400 million in 2050 (using China population as an excuse to keep procreating without control) despite the increase in poverty, unemployment, high dependency ratio - This is the perfect definition of dumbness.

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by WillTop: 10:06pm On Oct 05, 2019
ednut1:
see dubai. Are the inhabitants there smart No. They are lazy and rely on expatriates and Indian labour . But with sheik mansours vision. See where them dey
Yes the leader has great vision, but without the oil luck (very tiny population with very huge oil resource - over 80% of people living in UAE are foreigners) UAE will still be very poor, no single innovation from the indigenous people, just spending oil money on huge construction (construction led by mainly smart white people). Nigerians are not smart the fact that we can't even choose our best in the various sectors in Nigeria proves it.
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by ericmor: 10:09pm On Oct 05, 2019
MILLERMannn:

Exactly. I could remember while teaching for a particular school. I authored a practical workbook for the students only for the supervisor to tell me that such is not allowed in the school. Only to my surprise, 3 weeks after, she bought similar workbook from outside for students to use. That is the first time the school will introduce it to the students_something of my idea. My question is why did she refuse mine? Up till now I have been unable to figure out the answer. Nigeria or should I say a black person is very wicked than devil.

Who is devil, who is black. U think attributing every bad things to black is a mistake? Someone will be online insulting the white folks forgoten that the phone, internet and even the English he/she is using are invented by the white folks they are insulting and why busy insulting dem, the white people are there trying to discover new things to make the world better

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by hopefulLandlord: 10:24pm On Oct 05, 2019
IGBOSON1:

Nigerians are no more criminally inclined than people from more developed countries! However, when a society doesn’t provide avenues for a ambitious and smart people to earn a living legitimately, then they would naturally find other means to survive that may sometimes be unorthodox and unwholesome!

interesting

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by missjo(f): 10:26pm On Oct 05, 2019
konvict0111:
It's a question for me and you, missjojo. The power lies with the people. It's not clear to me how this will come to be, but examples abound in history.

Just as it was possible to wrestle against colonialism, one day we will find the courage to begin again as a people. This is possible.

There was a country!
smiley

Those who start revolutions are rarely the ones who end it. The French revolution is a perfect example.

2 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by naijaseeker: 10:29pm On Oct 05, 2019
Truth is, if you study history properly you will notice that 59 years is shockingly a short period. Even a hundred years, therefore the time is very short to argue why we still have a western influence on Nigeria after independence.

It took the Spaniards more than 700 hundred years to reconquer Spain from the Moors and Muslims. It took the Turks over 400 years of repeated attacks and determination to capture Constantinople i.e. current day Turkey which was once the heart of Roman/Western civilization and it took the Western world over 500 years of Crusades to give up trying to recapture the Middle East from Islamic civilization

The most enduring civilization in Nigeria is Kanem Bornu and it has been conquered and reconquered.

You need to understand certain things. The period from independence till date is quite short and Nigeria like most African countries is still passing through neo-colonization. African was practically structured to malfunction as it supports Europe Most Africans like the OP do not want to hear this, therefore ultimately they want to remain where they are, undeveloped.

For Nigeria to develop, Nigerians need to understand basic things and face it. One, current Nigeria is a phase in the final set of things. We need to make a decision about what we want. This means, do we need Nigeria or not. How do we need Nigeria?

We need to understand our challenges and dynamics. We have external and internal challenges. Internally we have very strong entrenched powers that have a goal to maintain their power, wealth and influence. It does not matter if we all perish. They control the government, civil society and are everywhere. To them, Nigeria is a milking ground to use for personal gain, their children are not here and the throw crumbs to the rest. Those who are lucky to catch a few crumbs start shouting Nigerians are lazy yoots, Nigerians are study. They forget they were lucky to catch the crumbs.
Externally, we have foreign powers who are majorly interested in our natural resources. This means they want control over these resources therefore it is to their interest that people who will ensure their control are always in position and further, we must not be able to develop enough to start using them but must export it to them raw so as to reduce costs. The meeting of these two forces is the major problem of Nigeria and other African problems.
Yes, it is our fault we have not yet overcome them, but it does not mean we are stupid. It means the time is actually short from independence to think we can do much and we still have much articulation to do. In order to overcome, we may just need to dissolve Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by javaguru: 10:40pm On Oct 05, 2019
IGBOSON1:

[s]You either missed his point or you’re pretending not to know what he means![/s]

Federal gov’t should be there only to enact laws and ensure an enabling environment for private enterprise to thrive.[s] What he’s talking about is the unitary system of gov’t.[/s]..the big, all powerful, all controlling and bullying central gov’t Nigeria has been operating since 1966!

The federal gov’t owns the airports, the seaports, the railway, oil and gas, universities, secondary schools, a large slice of the VAT cake that ordinarily should go to the states where they’re generated.....jeez, i could go on and on!

One thing Nigerians are adept at is pretending not to notice the elephant in the room! Things are the way they are today in Nigeria b’cos certain sections of the country are afraid to answer their papa name and allow others own their resources and grow at their own pace! These people not only have an eye on the oyel and gas, VAT, and control of money-spinning coys and parastatals from other regions, but they also feel that if we revert back to the arrangement we all agreed to on the eve of ‘independence’ in 1960, that other regions will leave their lazy, quota-system loving arsses behind and show them up for the liability they actually are!

You lot can keep on burying your heads in the sand!
sorry. But ur the person misunderstanding it. Actually he is talking about Capitalism where do you expect the Nigerian govt to make money . if those powerful economic sector where given to individuals what will be of the govt. It May be applicable in a confederation.
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by babasolution: 10:45pm On Oct 05, 2019
ednut1:
if black race tries to catch up. Do you think others will be looking . Nigeria as a country is doomed. The earlier you realise and accept. A tortoise cannot gap a rate in a 100m race

oga,d black race is not doomed,we are not competing with anybody.Nigeria is growing if you cant see it then you are blind

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by babasolution: 10:48pm On Oct 05, 2019
naijaseeker:
Truth is, if you study history properly you will notice that 59 years is shockingly a short period. Even a hundred years, therefore the time is very short to argue why we still have a western influence on Nigeria after independence.

It took the Spaniards more than 700 hundred years to reconquer Spain from the Moors and Muslims. It took the Turks over 400 years of repeated attacks and determination to capture Constantinople i.e. current day Turkey which was once the heart of Roman/Western civilization and it took the Western world over 500 years of Crusades to give up trying to recapture the Middle East from Islamic civilization

The most enduring civilization in Nigeria is Kanem Bornu and it has been conquered and reconquered.

You need to understand certain things. The period from independence till date is quite short and Nigeria like most African countries is still passing through neo-colonization. African was practically structured to malfunction as it supports Europe Most Africans like the OP do not want to hear this, therefore ultimately they want to remain where they are, undeveloped.

For Nigeria to develop, Nigerians need to understand basic things and face it. One, current Nigeria is a phase in the final set of things. We need to make a decision about what we want. This means, do we need Nigeria or not. How do we need Nigeria?

We need to understand our challenges and dynamics. We have external and internal challenges. Internally we have very strong entrenched powers that have a goal to maintain their power, wealth and influence. It does not matter if we all perish. They control the government, civil society and are everywhere. To them, Nigeria is a milking ground to use for personal gain, their children are not here and the throw crumbs to the rest. Those who are lucky to catch a few crumbs start shouting Nigerians are lazy yoots, Nigerians are study. They forget they were lucky to catch the crumbs.
Externally, we have foreign powers who are majorly interested in our natural resources. This means they want control over these resources therefore it is to their interest that people who will ensure their control are always in position and further, we must not be able to develop enough to start using them but must export it to them raw so as to reduce costs. The meeting of these two forces is the major problem of Nigeria and other African problems.
Yes, it is our fault we have not yet overcome them, but it does not mean we are stupid. It means the time is actually short from independence to think we can do much and we still have much articulation to do. In order to overcome, we may just need to dissolve Nigeria.
you are absolutely right,the hatred of Nigeria by people on this site is incredible to believe

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Slimpotter(m): 10:56pm On Oct 05, 2019
thebosstrevor:

Hongkong is more developed than china, it is also the place chinese companies goes to source foreign capital

Hongkong also have a very strong banking system to the extend that the world financial system is scared that we might go for a recession because of the protest going on there
What's the essence of being developed when there's widening inequality in Hong Kong, China is better when it comes to standard of living. And again Hong Kong is China, forget western connotations.
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by DexterousOne(m): 10:58pm On Oct 05, 2019
ednut1:
china was a wasteland that a small japan was bullying and beating in wars. Mao zedond and co later made it what it is. Dubai was a fishing outpost ask mansour family how far. The former libya by ghadaffi too. There is no light in nigeria is it you and i that will build dams or nuclear plants Is it you and i that will provide world class universities or roads Wake up

Mao Zedong ruined China tho

It's Deng Xiaoping or so that saved China

Just so you know

The upheavals and starvation that Mao brought no be here

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by hopefulLandlord: 11:00pm On Oct 05, 2019
lagdmark:

You missed it totally here. Religion played a major role in the American Revolution
Even till 1976 about 55% Americans were Protestants, 1996 about two-thirds were Christians.
Moral teachings, and civil rights movement, values was based on Christian religion.
Facts is the famous John Havard the founder of Havard College was Pastor.
If you believe religion gave Nigeria her problems, the same Christian religion gave the Western countries her development.

Bullsheet! I'm just too busy to dismantle this nonsensical rubbish

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by DexterousOne(m): 11:02pm On Oct 05, 2019
Slimpotter:

What's the essence of being developed when there's widening inequality in Hong Kong, China is better when it comes to standard of living. And again Hong Kong is China, forget western connotations.

Wrong

Hong Kong is parrallel to China
#Fact

No Chinese city is as developed as Hong Kong

They were only unfortunate to have the 100 year lease expire
So they had to go back to China

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by hopefulLandlord: 11:09pm On Oct 05, 2019
pacespot:

We can make policies to change all those anomalies you mentioned up there. After all, we are no longer the colony of the west. Would they invade Nigeria if we start putting these foreign multinationals in order? No.
Yes they would! Qaddafi was killed cuz he wanted to create a new currency for Africans which would hurt the US dollar badly

Read what Chiquita did to Colombia and Guatemala
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by DexterousOne(m): 11:09pm On Oct 05, 2019
pocohantas:

You said it all
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by DexterousOne(m): 11:11pm On Oct 05, 2019
thebosstrevor:

it seems the definition of smartness according to Nigerians is upside down

in every developed country of the world, you need only 2 set of people to develop the country, The Booksmart and the Entrepreneurs

The Booksmarts ( politicians and bureaucrat) create good laws and regulations while the entrepreneurs create jobs for the masses

both group work together for the good of a country but i guess in Nigeria it doesnt work like that.

I have to agree with you

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Slimpotter(m): 11:15pm On Oct 05, 2019
DexterousOne:

Wrong
Hong Kong is parrallel to China #Fact
No Chinese city is as developed as Hong Kong
They were only unfortunate to have the 100 year lease expire So they had to go back to China
Wrong There's only one country China There are two systems Mainland China's and Hong Kong SAR Again I'm talking about standard of living not development status.
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Truthbites: 11:15pm On Oct 05, 2019
They are not smart.. trust me!!! See the kind of unintelligent people they vote in!

2 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by DexterousOne(m): 11:16pm On Oct 05, 2019
ednut1:
you clearly are not smart. This is my last comment here. I work in the oil and gas sector let me school you small.
1- exon, shell chevron help us drill crude/gas and also steal from it. Their refineries also convert it with crude along with indian refineries ( our refineries were from the french and are dead now). There is no oil in netherland but shell from the same country brings in billions from overseas

2- as we no get light we have to use generators from perkins(UK) and some asians ones- if we had light is there any market for those guys

3- cocoa from west africa is converted into billions of chocolate in the west and asia( if we had chocolate companies here would it benefit west?)

4. All the other things we import nko Does it not benefit them

Be smart bro. U say our leaders shud be smart. So our reps and senators shud make laws that will favour all of us So their 33m salary becomes 2m and the 5.5 billion car doesn't see the light of day. U dull sha

Well I have a slightly different view to this
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by DexterousOne(m): 11:18pm On Oct 05, 2019
Slimpotter:

Wrong
There's only one country China
There are two systems Mainland China's and Hong Kong SAR
Again I'm talking about standard of living not development status.

If the lease did not expire

HK will still.be under British occupation

Know that

HK rejoined China less than 25 years ago
That is why they are parallels
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Slimpotter(m): 11:21pm On Oct 05, 2019
DexterousOne:

If the lease did not expire

HK will still.be under British occupation

Know that

HK rejoined China less than 25 years ago
That is why they are parallels
I don't get your point are you trying to justify Britain's hold on a region that never originally belonged to them, cause I don't understand this your constant need to separate China from Hong Kong.
It's a special administrative region, because of it's difference in political system, doesn't mean it's not part of the Chinese.
Will you also say Macao is not part of China too?
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by KekeNash(f): 11:37pm On Oct 05, 2019
So its safe to say Nigerians are stupid? I mean we need to conclude.
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by midnighter(f): 11:40pm On Oct 05, 2019
KekeNash:
So its safe to say Nigerians are stupid? I mean we need to conclude.

LOL
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by DexterousOne(m): 11:41pm On Oct 05, 2019
Ironi:

Exactly my sentiments.

Of the 200m only few Nigerians I believe have a thought process like you; too many criminal minded dumbasses who keep thinking they are smart.

It's an African problem

Ghanaians are not much better
I have dealt wity them

S.A. is even worse

It's a black man problem that we need to address really
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by BlackBaron: 11:47pm On Oct 05, 2019
b03liberty:

This thread has negate the notion
Nothing has been negated. I just did a search for 'Tacha' only to see 6400 pages of BBN updates! The number of watchers on that thread is also in the hundreds as at late this night.

Our fathers ruled themselves 30+ years ago, yet the same old men are still there while youths are dying over reality TV.

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by DexterousOne(m): 11:51pm On Oct 05, 2019
vezycash:

Mao did exactly what Buhari is doing and more. As a result, he sent his country into crazy famine. Parents ate their kids, people ate grass and at the end, over 30 Million people died.

Exactly

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Lagos-Ibadan Railway Will Be Ready In February 2019, See Photos From The Site / Ibadan Destroyed Roads Repaired After Twitter User Protested On Social Media / Air Force Helicopter Crash-lands In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.