Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,143 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times (14921 Views)

Open Letter To Peter Obi As Published By Vanguard / Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) / Trump Finally Adds Nigeria To His Restricted Travel list - NY Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Ventura1: 8:51pm On Oct 06, 2019
I don't like commenting on a thread like this, I want to move away from this kind of mindset.

That Azikiwe left the Eastern region to contest for Western premier is the height of arrogant and pride, which I think the igbo's have up till today. He chooses his puppet Opara to contest in East and was eyeing to control the growing Western region under Awolowo.

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Osaze007: 9:11pm On Oct 06, 2019
Ventura1:
I don't like commenting on a thread like this, I want to move away from this kind of mindset.

That Azikiwe left the Eastern region to contest for Western premier is the height of arrogant and pride, which I think the igbo's have up till today. He chooses his puppet Opara to contest in East and was eyeing to control the growing Western region under Awolowo.

Yup but failed woefully

4 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Timmypromise(m): 9:18pm On Oct 06, 2019
LegendHero:

I left home some years back but my family in IB told me of the strides by Ajimobi then for infrastructures and security. I wish Makinde will keep up the pace..

Yeah
There are less traffic unlike Lagos...... arranged shops I wanted to cry when I saw how odua group manage the building even foreigners walk freely...
God bless Yoruba land

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by pazienza(m): 9:39pm On Oct 06, 2019
Paul Anber's essay "Modernization and Political Disintegration: Nigeria and the Ibos" published in the journal of Modern African Studies vol. 5, No 2 (Sep, 1967) 163-179. See pp 171-172 for excerpt:

" '' A system of Universal primary education was introduced in Eastern Nigeria in 1953, though the mission schools had already prospered in the Region long before then. Despite the fact that there was a requirement for limited contributory fees, education continued to be very much in demand. Even at the time when universal primary education was first introduced, the percentage of the population over seven years of age who were literate was higher in the East than in any other Region: East, 10.6 per cent; West 9.5 percent; North, 0.9 percent. Since 1959, the East has had more teachers and pupils than any other area of the country, with the heaviest emphasis on primary education.

Figures for elementary and secondary education indicate that the approximate ratio of teachers to population in 1963 was 1 to every 1,500 in the East, 1 to every 2,500 in th West, and 1 for every 10,000 in the north. Other statistical data reveal how rapidly the standard of living rose among Ibos. The East had the most extensive hospital facilities in the country by 1965, the largest regional production of electricity in the country by 1954, and the greatest number of vehicle registrations by 1963. The economic orientation of the Ibos was also reflected through membership of credit associations:in 1963 the East had 68,220 individual members, the west 5,776, and the north a mere 2,407." ''... His source was the Annual Abstract of Statistics ( Federal Office of Statistics, Lagos, 1965

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by pazienza(m): 9:42pm On Oct 06, 2019
I don't know where the OP is talking about, but at the era in discussion, Western region was no match for the Eastern region in any aspect of human endeavor.

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Minenaira: 9:51pm On Oct 06, 2019
pazienza:
I don't know where the OP is talking about, but at the era in discussion, Western region was no match for the Eastern region in any aspect of human endeavor.

You mean baby factory and crime stuffs
Yes yorubas can't match you guys with that

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Osaze007: 9:54pm On Oct 06, 2019
pazienza:

All the rants in this book are about federal government which was dominated by Hausa and Igbo cause Yoruba was in opposition none of the statistics here says anything about eastern region being as developed or richer than western region it only says
Igbos absorbed western Education and were in civil service so your still missing the point

4 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Ventura1: 10:00pm On Oct 06, 2019
johntolu:

I agree entirely with your write-up.
The Nigerian leadership, post civil war, has mainly been led by people from the Hausa-Fulanis/Hausa-Fulanis sub groups and Yoruba ethnic group and the country has no reasonable progress to show for the leadership the Nation has been given by these sets of leaders. I am not, in any way, insinuating that other ethnic groups, are in any way better, Ebele Jonathan's 6 years of catastrophic misrule is still fresh in our minds.
OBJ had 3 terms as President, Gowon, IBB & Abacha, had 22 years of draconian military rule and what score cards do we have to show for their stewardship? A highly corrupt, backward and hopeless country currently rated as the poverty capital of the world.
Jerry Rawlings ruled Ghana for less than 4 months in 1979, during his 1st tenure as Ghanaian leader and left an indelible foot mark in the Nation's economic and political landscape before his 2nd coming in 1981, when he transformed the country to a stable and progressive Nation with hope for the future.
Nigeria leaders post civil war, should bury their heads in shame, for 'Shipwrecking' the Nation and unfortunately, leading us to a 'dead end', with their greed and myopic rule. Sad! ���

At times, I don't feel like blaming those post war leaders, they've been borne by the history that predated Nigeria indepence and the civil war.

And knowing that some of these players are still around making the same agitation and trading blames, nevertheless, they bleeped up..... especially those after Gowon.
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by pazienza(m): 10:02pm On Oct 06, 2019
Osaze007:

All the rants in this book are about federal government which was dominated by Hausa and Igbo cause Yoruba was in opposition none of the statistics here says anything about eastern region being as developed or richer than western region it only says
Igbos absorbed western Education and were in civil service so your still missing the point

FG provided electricity for East, bought cars for Easterners, hence more registered car plate numbers for Easterners, enrolled our children in school more than Yorubas? Built more hospitals for us more than Yorubas? Manufactured teachers for us as well?

Are you alright?

The thread assumes the Western region was better economically speaking than the East in Te 60s, but this is a blatant lie, as the West trailed the East in all aspects of human endeavor in the 1960s.
It's expected since their rival political factions were busy fighting themselves in streets of Lagos and Ibadan and could not master the art of peaceful resolution of conflicts like the East did.

You need peace to build economic prosperity and there was no way in the world the volatile West could have been economically ahead of peaceful East led by juggernauts like Zik, Ita, Mbu, Okpala, Akpabio, Imoke, etc in 1960s.

You lots should stop this empty trumpet blowing already.

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Ventura1: 10:04pm On Oct 06, 2019
pazienza:

Yes, we know the East are also growing but why are they greedy to the extent of planning conquest over other region? That was probably your greatest undoing, contentment is key.

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by pazienza(m): 10:09pm On Oct 06, 2019
Ventura1:

Yes, we know the East are also growing but why are they greedy to the extent of planning conquest over other region? That was probably your greatest undoing, contentment is key.

Nzeogwu was Igbo, but he wasn't from the East.
He was from the mid west.

No time did Ndiigbo plan conquering others. We are not a people who seek for political control or conquest of others.
We were never empire builders.

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Osaze007: 10:10pm On Oct 06, 2019
pazienza:

FG provided electricity for East, bought cars for Easterners, hence more registered car plate numbers for Easterners, enrolled our children in school more than Yorubas? Built more hospitals for us more than Yorubas? Manufactured teachers for us as well?

Are you alright?

The thread assumes the Western region was better economically speaking than the East in Te 60s, but this is a blatant lie, as the West trailed the East in all aspects of human endeavor in the 1960s.
It's expected since their rival political factions were busy fighting themselves in streets of Lagos and Ibadan and could not master the art of peaceful resolution of conflicts like the East did.

You need peace to build economic prosperity and there was no way in the world the volatile West could have been economically ahead of peaceful East led by juggernauts like Zik, Ita, Mbu, Okpala, Akpabio, Imoke, etc in 1960s.

You lots should stop this empty trumpet blowing already.

Why are you delusional like this ?

The Text you yourself displayed never said eastern region was the most poperous

It only talked about progress made by eastern region which was good but guess what they still didn’t surpass western region

It gave some impressive statistics in teacher to student ratio ( we can factor in population) but it was still not as prosperous as Yoruba land

When you were busy trying to get educated
Yorubas were building the first sky scrapper in Africa
The first television station
Free education
Best Uni in Africa
So your point doesn’t show eastern region was richer than west it only shows how the catch up started which is still in effect today keep on catching up

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by pazienza(m): 10:14pm On Oct 06, 2019
Osaze007:

Why are you delusional like this ?

The Text you yourself displayed never said eastern region was the most poperous

It only talked about progress made by eastern region which was good but guess what they still didn’t surpass western region

It gave some impressive statistics in teacher to student ratio ( we can factor in population) but it was still not as prosperous as Yoruba land

When you were busy trying to get educated
Yorubas were building the first sky scrapper in Africa
The first television station
Free education
Best Uni in Africa
So your point doesn’t show eastern region was richer than west it only shows how the catch up started which is still in effect today keep on catching up

"[b]Figures for elementary and secondary education indicate that the approximate ratio of teachers to population in 1963 was 1 to every 1,500 in the East, 1 to every 2,500 in th West, and 1 for every 10,000 in the north. Other statistical data reveal how rapidly the standard of living rose among Ibos. The East had the most extensive hospital facilities in the country by 1965, the largest regional production of electricity in the country by 1954, and the greatest number of vehicle registrations by 1963. The economic orientation of the Ibos was also reflected through membership of credit associations:in 1963 the East had 68,220 individual members, the west 5,776, and the north a mere 2,407." ''... His source was the Annual Abstract of Statistics ( Federal Office of Statistics, Lagos, 1965["/b]

You have comprehension issues. Your English teacher owe your parents some refund.

4 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Osaze007: 10:19pm On Oct 06, 2019
pazienza:

"[b]Figures for elementary and secondary education indicate that the approximate ratio of teachers to population in 1963 was 1 to every 1,500 in the East, 1 to every 2,500 in th West, and 1 for every 10,000 in the north. Other statistical data reveal how rapidly the standard of living rose among Ibos. The East had the most extensive hospital facilities in the country by 1965, the largest regional production of electricity in the country by 1954, and the greatest number of vehicle registrations by 1963. The economic orientation of the Ibos was also reflected through membership of credit associations:in 1963 the East had 68,220 individual members, the west 5,776, and the north a mere 2,407." ''... His source was the Annual Abstract of Statistics ( Federal Office of Statistics, Lagos, 1965["/b]

You have comprehension issues. Your English teacher owe your parents some refund.

Yes standard of living as risen in China but are the Chinese still as rich as USA or EU hell no !!

That’s all I see here
If eastern region was the richest region all stats will point to east but it doesn’t
Infact northern Nigeria was richer than eastern region

And still your success was still dependent on Lagos as a capital

Damn no be today

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by pazienza(m): 10:23pm On Oct 06, 2019
Osaze007:

Yes standard of living as risen in China but are the Chinese still as rich as USA or EU hell no !!

That’s all I see here
If eastern region was the richest region all stats will point to east but it doesn’t
Infact northern Nigeria was richer than eastern region

And still your success was still dependent on Lagos as a capital

Damn no be today

Did you not see the use of the superlative Most ?

1 Like

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by LegendHero(m): 10:24pm On Oct 06, 2019
pazienza:

What actually is the thrust of your post? What do you mean by the East is more developed than the western region as at 1960? I can read the paper you quoted up there and I can’t seems to see anything pointing to the claim that the East was more developed.

What is the meaning of membership of credit association and how is that a measure of development? Have you heard of the Odua group? How do they measure the number of vehicle registration as a determinant of development? Even in the article you quoted, it was stated that the west was far superior and the East are only trying to catch up.

I really don’t get what you are tryna imply with the document and how does it mean the East was developed than the western region?

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by gwafaeziokwu: 10:27pm On Oct 06, 2019
LegendHero:

Yes I won’t reject the report, it’s good to have another subscriber here so we can harness the report from an objective pint of reason.

For your first question, you are mixing facts up, Awolowo cannot reject one Nigeria, he was a proponent of that One Nigeria but he was only telling them it’s better we realize our differences and that each region should grow at their own pace.

Awolowo cannot demand for self-independence of the Yoruba nation coz they are all fighting the devil (British) first and they had nothing else on their mind that to be independent of the queen’s rule. If you could check the run of play of event preceding that time You will understand why no one can try secession from the union coz they had a bigger goals in sight.

Awolowo was accused of treason by the same set of people you want him to support and he was not actually in a better position to rally around the Yorubas at that time coz the military already occupied the scene and a civilian just coming out from prison on the eve of the civil war had little he could do. Remeber Gowon released Awolowo and pardoned him then, also Awolowo met with Ojukwu to advise him to wait a little bit and explore all avenue before going to war but Ojukwu had to betray Awolowo with the late sage speech to justify the haste in advancing to the war to make it in such a way that Awo also supported it.

To show you the animosity of Azikwe towards Awolowo, when Balewa tried to include two members of the Action Group in his cabinet, Azikwe was angry that Balewa will even give the Yorubas two slot even with the fact that they (NCNC) has six members in the cabinet. Check the paper attached below to read more of the hatred.

Azikwe made sure the Igbos were placed in major federal ministries because of the alliance with the North and he remained subservient to the North so as to control the not too sound Balewa behind the scenes. How do you expect Awolowo to blink when the alliance of the Igbos and the Northerners collapsed?

Check the name of the members and see the dominace of the eastern guys in that cabinet.
Minister of Commerce and Industry: Dr. K.O Mgadiwe
Minister of Labor and Welfare - Chief Okotie-Eboh
Lagos Affair, Mines and Power - Muhammadu Ribadu
Transport - R.A Njoku
Education - Aja Nwachukwu
Research and Information - Chief Kola Balogun
Where is the federal character in all this??

Azikwe and Tafawa Balewa alliance later broke during the 1964 general parliamentary election and the true color of Azikwe was unveiled coz he had been hiding under the banner of a nationalist to dominate the rest. He was part of the first people to echo the seccession of the Eastern region as at 1965 and he was instrumental in the conspiracy of the barrack boys that would later end Balewa's life. Do you think Azikwe escaped the deathly strike of the military guys by luck? No its a well planned scheme.

I know this happened in the past and there is no need to bring this up to heat up the polity but I want the Igbos to stop thinking it was the Yorubas that allied with the northerners first, you need to stop seeing the Yorubas as your enemy because of the half-truth being propagated by people witout any knowledge of actual history

angry
OK oga legendhero. Let me gift you these points.

1. Azikiwe was stupid for not allowing seccession clause, Aguiyi Ironsi set the tone for abolition of regionalism with his unification decree.

Now answer the following questions

1. Was Awolowo remotely aware of the discussions at Aburi. Did the Aburi accord in anyway tried to amend the undesirable unification decree? Did the Aburi accord in any way meet the heart desires of the average Yoruba man whose interests he sought to protect. If yes did he use it to negotiate with General Gowon.

2. Awolowo according to you was a strong advocate and believer of regionalism. Days before the Biafran declaration Gowon divided Nigeria into 12 states. Western region was divided into 3, Lagos, Western state and Kwara. Was Awolowo comfortable with that move? If not what was his response.

3. Also according to you Awolowo was aversed to a northern coalition. He preferred southerners but Zik would not allow it come to fruition. Fast forward to 1967 eve of the civil war the east had made it clear that the romance with the north was over. That they want to chart their own cause. The north was vulnerable, there was fire in the mountain and the seat of government in Lagos was in disarray. A golden opportunity was presented to Awolowo to take his people out without firing a single shot. With the east and west pulling out the north would have negotiated and ultimately agree on the Aburi agreement. Why did Awolowo fail to grab this opportunity?

4. Presented with, a secession he has mouthed before hand, a regionalism he has professed religiously why did Awolowo embrace state creation and ultimately helped Gowon to finally bury regionalism.

5. Some school of thought believed he was a coward who couldn't put his money where his mouth is. I want to hear you own perspective.
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Osaze007: 10:32pm On Oct 06, 2019
pazienza:

Did you not see the use of the superlative Most ?

Most hospitals & now equal most prosperity

Damn

West was so rich off cocoa they loaned money to FG
Northern Nigeria was the second richest
Then east was the least richest

So your point hasn’t disproved western ng being the most prosperous

They are the only region in Nigeria
That have land mass seaport population gateway to west Africa so they will naturally be ahead

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by pazienza(m): 10:34pm On Oct 06, 2019
LegendHero:

What actually is the thrust of your post? What do you mean by the East is more developed than the western region as at 1960? I can read the paper you quoted up there and I can’t seems to see anything pointing to the claim that the East was more developed.

What is the meaning of membership of credit association and how is that a measure of development? Have you heard of the Odua group? How do they measure the number of vehicle registration as a determinant of development? Even in the article you quoted, it was stated that the west was far superior and the East are only trying to catch up.

I really don’t get what you are tryna imply with the document and how does it mean the East was developed than the western region?

How do we measure economic development? If not by living standard?

The East had more hospitals

Had better electricity supply
Had better Teacher to Student ratio

Had more car registered, which is a pointer to a booming economy, as only the well fed own cars

The East was more than ahead of the West in the 1960s. I don't care if they West were once ahead in the past.
But as of 1960s, contrary to the claim of the OP,
the west was inferior to East in most aspects of human development.

5 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by plaindealer: 10:34pm On Oct 06, 2019
Regional administration period was when all the regions showed their strength, smartness and capabilities as separate entities and regions, when they separately made their own money, and managed their own affairs.

This period was when the SW excelled and leaped ahead of the other regions across-the-board.

Their was not any tallest building in Nigeria untill the SW built one.

Their wasn't any TV station in Nigeria untill the SW built one.

Their wasn't any modern stadium in Nigeria untill the SW built one.

Nigeria didn't have industrial estates untill the SW built Ikeja, Apapa, Mushin, Ilupeju, Matori and Oluyole industrial estates.

These are either first in Nigeria or first in Africa achievements, achievements that happened strictly under Yoruba administration, policies and leadership, not the FG, not colonial masters.

These achievements are still around and standing tall untill this very second,

Odua group of industries created in the same period is still active today.

The SE made their own money and managed their own affairs in their own region too so, can they highlight one single or similar ground breaking or similar accomplishments?

None, absolutely none.

Fact is, there's no need for competition or di!ck measurements, Yoruba people are smarter, more intelligent, more sophisticated and ground breaking achievers.

Some people just love to beat chest over nothing, they say they are the most industrious, but they don't have industries, they say they are the richest, but they can not survive or get their daily bread unless they leave their states, towns and villages to make ends meet in the SW.

No political, economic or even cultural relevance.

4 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Osaze007: 10:35pm On Oct 06, 2019
pazienza:

Had more car registered, which is a pointer to a booming economy, as only the well fed own cars

The East was more than ahead of the West in the 1960s. I don't care if they West were once ahead in the past.

Lmfaooo with evidence of hospital bed my dear
Aboki was ehen ahead of you in the 60s
I know your butt hurt
Despite being in central government
Western Nigeria was and still remains the most prosperous

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Osaze007: 10:37pm On Oct 06, 2019
plaindealer:
Regional administration period was when all the regions showed their strength, smartness and capabilities as separate entities and regions, when they separately made their own money, and managed their own affairs.

This period was when the SW excelled and leaped ahead of the other regions across-the-board.

Nigeria didn't have industrial estates untill the SW built Ikeja, Apapa, Mushin, Ilupeju, Matori and Oluyole industrial estates.

These are either first in Nigeria or first in Africa achievements, achievements that happened strictly under Yoruba administration, policies and leadership, not the FG, not colonial masters.

The SE made their own money and managed their own affairs in their own region too so, can they highlight one single or similar ground breaking or similar accomplishments?

None, absolutely none.

Fact is, there's no need for competition or di!ck measurements, Yoruba people are smarter, more intelligent, more sophisticated and ground breaking achievers.

Some people just love to beat chest over nothing, they say they are the most industrious, but they don't have industries, they say they are the richest, but they can not survive or get their daily bread unless they leave their states, towns and villages to make ends meet in the SW.

I checked Quora and the Question was which region will be the most succeful should we go our separate ways the overwhelming answer was Yoruba

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by pazienza(m): 10:39pm On Oct 06, 2019
Osaze007:

Lmfaooo with evidence of hospital bed my dear
Aboki was ehen ahead of you in the 60s
I know your butt hurt
Despite being in central government
Western Nigeria was and still remains the most prosperous

The usual beer parlour gist with no statistical back up.

If not for WAEC and JAMB stats, you will still be propagating your beer parlor lies of being the leaders in education in Nigeria, using your Lagos-Ibadan media propaganda machine. Grow up dear. That era of your media monopoly and spread of lies to beef up your poor ego is gone.

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Osaze007: 10:42pm On Oct 06, 2019
pazienza:

The usual beer parlour gist with no statistical back up.

If not for WAEC and JAMB stats, you will still be propagating your beer parlor lies of being the leaders in education in Nigeria, using your Lagos-Ibadan media propaganda machine. Grow up dear. That era of your media monopoly and spread of lies to beef up your poor ego is gone.

My dear New York Times isn’t Lagos Ibadan media
It was facts
Till today igbos still have the poorest region
Newly created south south has surpassed south east

4 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by LegendHero(m): 10:42pm On Oct 06, 2019
pazienza:

Car registration is the pointer to development based on what measure? How exactly did they come to the conclusion that the eastern region had more cars registered when even Lagos alone as at then dwarf any number that can be conceived in the East?

What is the measure of economy? Can you give me the author of that journal, I’ll like to read the source coz I like giving chance to other people.

We are talking about a western region that was the best economy and had the best GDP through cocoa. We are talking about the western region that had a more coordinated tax system to cater for free education and free healthcare.

In your journal they captured the number of easterners in primary schools, I’ll find the raw statistics of the western region school intake in my archives and upload it on here for you to see that the East is not any way closer to the west in terms of education and enrollment.

We are talking about the western region with the major industries and foreign investments to our area as far back as then. We are talking about the Western region that built commercial centers in Ibadan, cocoa house one of a kind in sub-Saharan Africa, a commonwealth Odua group, First standard stadium, first standard TV station, tarred roads and with a wider tax net and you’re here telling me about development of the East because of number of cars?

Are you sure you’re trying to bring a solid argument or you’re just tryna troll?

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by plaindealer: 10:45pm On Oct 06, 2019
Osaze007:

I checked Quora and the Question was which region will be the most succeful should we go our separate ways the overwhelming answer was Yoruba

Imagine the SW without Nigeria since 1960, we achieved more before Independence than after Independence and our association with Nigeria.

Nigeria slowed us down.

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by pazienza(m): 10:47pm On Oct 06, 2019
plaindealer:

None, absolutely none.

Western region didn't excel post independence.
It crashed. You couldn't handle yourselves. You descended into your usual inter tribal bloody wrestling matches, reminiscent of your kiriji days.
You couldn't handle self governance. You couldn't live with yourselves. It was operation weetie and wild wild west, hacking down each other in streets. While Zik and Ita mended their differences, Awo and Akintola couldn't, peaceful resolution of conflicts is not your nature.

The Coaco house was built by the colonists. Western region achieved next to nothing post independence.
All you achieved before then was courtesy of having earlier contacts with the British and the capital city status of Lagos in addition to its proximity to you.

Before the colonials came, you were fighting each other, when they left in 1960, you started where you stopped. Nigerian unity united you by presenting Ndiigbo as a common enemy around which you all must unite, Awo and his gang worked on that.
You probably dread Nigeria disintegration because you know once that happens, you would have to deal with each other again, and that would mean Kiriji part 3.

5 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Osaze007: 10:48pm On Oct 06, 2019
LegendHero:

Car registration is the pointer to development based on what measure? How exactly did they come to the conclusion that the eastern region had more cars registered when even Lagos alone as at then dwarf any number that can be conceived in the East?

What is the measure of economy? Can you give me the author of that journal, I’ll like to read the source coz I like giving chance to other people.

We are talking about a western region that was the best economy and had the best GDP through cocoa. We are talking about the western region that had a more coordinated tax system to cater for free education and free healthcare.

In your journal they captured the number of easterners in primary schools, I’ll find the raw statistics of the western region school intake in my archives and upload it on here for you to see that the East is not any way closer to the west in terms of education and enrollment.

We are talking about the western region with the major industries and foreign investments to our area as far back as then. We are talking about the Western region that built commercial centers in Ibadan, cocoa house one of a kind in sub-Saharan Africa, a commonwealth Odua group, First standard stadium, first standard TV station, tarred roads and with a wider tax net and you’re here telling me about development of the East because of number of cars?

Are you sure you’re trying to bring a solid argument or you’re just tryna troll?

You know ehen Igbo runs out of points he will start trolling but we are here for him

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by pazienza(m): 10:50pm On Oct 06, 2019
LegendHero:

The author quoted his sources.
Go deal with them.
Sorry for bursting your fragile egos.

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Osaze007: 10:53pm On Oct 06, 2019
pazienza:

The author quoted his sources.
Go deal with them.
Sorry for bursting your fragile egos.

If we are using hospital beds and car regristration to measure wealth India is the richest country in the world

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by LegendHero(m): 10:53pm On Oct 06, 2019
pazienza:

Western region didn't excel post independence.
It crashed. You couldn't handle yourselves. You descended into your usual inter tribal bloody wrestling matches, reminiscent of your kiriji days.
You couldn't handle self governance. You couldn't live with yourselves. It was operation weetie and wild wild west, hacking down each other in streets. While Zik and Ita mended their differences, Awo and Akintola couldn't, peaceful resolution of conflicts is not your nature.

The Coaco house was built by the colonists. Western region achieved next to nothing post independence.
All you achieved before then was courtesy of having earlier contacts with the British and the capital city status of Lagos in addition to its proximity to you.

Before the colonials came, you were fighting each other, when they left in 1960, you started where you stopped. Nigerian unity united you by presenting Ndiigbo as a common enemy around which you all must unite, Awo and his gang worked on that.
You probably dread Nigeria disintegration because you know once that happens, you would have to deal with each other again, and that would mean Kiriji part 3.

Does this guy even know what he is saying for God sake, why will you come online to disgrace yourself bro.

The rift between Awo and Akintola was part of the grand conspiracy of the northerners with the Zik. They tried all they can to break the western region and Awolowo will never bend to their will because he was not a stooge to the north. They had to use Akintola to get back at him which led to the fracas of that time.

When the colonials came, Ibadan was already a city of wonders and it wasn’t built by those you mentioned. Your problem is that while you’re trying to elevate your region you’re missing the actual fact here.

Below shows the New York Times column about Ibadan and you can see what I’m talking about. Can you see clearly that Ibadan was already built with a working structure even when the other part of Nigeria are still akin to mushroom houses.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Lagos Embarks On Massive Law Enforcement. / President Buhari Presides Over FEC Meeting, Swears-In NPC Members (PHOTOS) / Niger State Has Crude Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.