Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,475 members, 7,808,722 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:59 PM

Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? (18500 Views)

What Are The Teachings Of Jehovah Witnesses That Are Lies / Fulani Herdsmen: Father Mbaka Protests Against Murder Of Paul Offu / Daddy Freeze Replies Pastor Adeboye’s Response To His Teachings On Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by unstoppable51(m): 5:26am On Oct 06, 2019
A Closer Look At The Words Of Jesus & The Pauline Revelations (Epistles) From FeedMeJesus.com

Looking at the teachings of Jesus in the four Gospels (the books: Matthew, Mark, Luke & John), there seems to be a very wide gap between what Jesus taught and what we see apostle Paul teach in his epistles.

For instance, in Matthew 6:14-15 we see Jesus saying “For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”

However when Paul wrote his epistles to the Ephesians and Colossians, he said something that looked like an opposite of what Jesus said. He puts his this way:

Eph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Col 3:13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

He urged believers to forgive others not so as God will forgive them but because God has ALREADY forgiven them.

Again, in Matthew 19:16-22, a young man asked Jesus what he must do to have eternal life. In His reply Jesus said:

Mat 19:17 ……Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Mat 19:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

Mat 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Mat 19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Jesus recommended a complete keeping of the Law and philanthropy to that young man. A few years later Paul was asked a similar question alongside his companion Silas by a Prison warder, and here is what they replied:

Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

While Paul recommended just Faith in the Son of God Jesus to be all that is needed to be saved and have eternal life, it seems as though Jesus Himself recommended works alone to be all it takes.

Is Paul then a false teacher? Are his teachings truly in contradiction to Jesus’ own? Should we disregard the writings of Paul completely or is there something we are not getting clearly as a church when we look at the teachings of Jesus and the writings of Paul? Let’s go further.

To truly understand why Paul wrote the things he did, we need to first of all understand that the Bible is a book of progressive revelation which was never complete until the very last book. That means until we have read it through to the very last book and gotten witnesses from its numerous authors, we cannot turn “a statement” in it into a basis for Faith, a doctrine.

This is because the book was written in such a way that you will find the explanation and confirmations of the things you read as you proceed to the very end. So taking a statement from Jesus in the book of Matthew alone and establishing it as a doctrine will not be the best thing to do until you have read through the other books.

Why is this so? Because before His death (in the Gospels), Jesus said He had many things to say (bring to understanding, explain, teach) to His disciples concerning the things he had already said to them before and things to come. But He couldn’t say those things to them because the disciples couldn’t bear them then. He however said the Holy Spirit, when He has come to live in them, will teach, explain and show them those things He couldn’t due to their inability to bear them them then.

Joh 14:25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The word “remembrance” Jesus used in that verse 26 above is actually better translated as “understanding”. That means what Jesus meant in that verse is that the Holy Spirit will bring to their understanding the things Jesus said while He was physically present with them. He (the Spirit of God) will give them the revelation, the explanations of His words beyond what the average man could understand. Verse 25 of that John 14 above makes this clearer.

While talking with His disciples again in John 16, Jesus reiterated this one more time to show how relevant it is for the Spirit (the one who explains everything) to come live in them.

Joh 16:12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Joh 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Joh 16:15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

The Holy Spirit shall show them things to come. The words “things to come” in that verse is not talking about “visions, dreams etc.” It is actually talking about the “death, burial and resurrection of Jesus” which was to come immediately after Jesus finished those statements. Those events are what Jesus meant there, not some distant future things.

In other words, the Holy Spirit will reveal to the disciples the mysteries of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. That is, why Jesus had to die, was buried and resurrected. The things He did for us via His death, burial and resurrection. The benefits His death brought for us such as grace, peace, righteousness, justification, etc. These are the things to come which the Holy Spirit would teach and have the disciples pen down in their letters to the church.

It is these “things to come” that apostle Paul devoted his time to know and Jesus by His Spirit revealed them to Him as he looked diligently into the Old Testament scriptures and prophecies concerning Salvation. This revelation of the finished works of Christ which Jesus Himself by His Spirit brought to Paul’s understanding was what inspired him to boldly write the things he did in all his epistles.
[b]
Eph 3:1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,

Eph 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

Eph 3:3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,

Eph 3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

Eph 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

Eph 3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Eph 3:7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

Eph 3:8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

Eph 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ.[/b]

He went on to explain how come about this his revelations and teachings again in Galatians 1:11-20. Here is how he puts it:

[b]Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

Gal 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Gal 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:

Gal 1:14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

Gal 1:15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,

Gal 1:16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:

Gal 1:17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.

Gal 1:18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.

Gal 1:19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.

Gal 1:20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not. [/b]

Now to confirm that the things Paul wrote in all his epistles are true, James, Peter and John, the pillars of the church, gave him the needed support. Paul called this support the right hand of fellowship to go share his Gospel revelations with the gentiles. A kind of saying “go ahead brother Paul, we are behind you because these things you teach are true.”

Gal 2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

In his own epistle, apostle Peter further confirmed this:

2Pe 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Notice how Peter did not only confirm a single epistle of Paul but all of them at the same time. Read that verse 16 again. He gave witness to EVERYTHING Paul said and wrote in ALL his epistles. That is to show that everything Paul said in all his epistles were correct.

So when next someone wants to make you believe that Paul was wrong or is a false teacher, be steadfast in your faith and rebuke them. Paul’s teachings are never against the teachings of Jesus. They are actually the continuation and explanations of what Jesus would have us the church to know today. There are no errors in those teachings. The Spirit of God made sure there was never an error in them so the church won’t be misled today.

I hope this blesses you. Now lift your hands to the Father and thank Him for the entire revelation of His Word, His Son, to us.

Glory to Jesus our King eternal.

Source: https://www.feedmejesus.com/2019/05/are-teachings-of-paul-against-teachings-of-jesus.html

31 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by princeade86(m): 5:32am On Oct 06, 2019
and with ur small brain, what is the different in the teaching.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by unstoppable51(m): 5:58am On Oct 06, 2019
princeade86:
and with ur small brain, what is the different in the teaching.
Why the rush to comment when you've obviously not read the article? Calm down bro.
It won't take you more than just 5 minutes to thoroughly read the post

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by mrvitalis(m): 6:54am On Oct 06, 2019
Have always believe so ....when I was religious never took Paul's part seriously

3 Likes

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by careytommy37(m): 6:55am On Oct 06, 2019
Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by PureGoldh(m): 6:55am On Oct 06, 2019
Ok....I Dont see any difference in Jesus's teachings and Paul's teachings...

The word of God is too deep That you need the interpretation from the Holy Spirit for you to be able to understand it very well.

If you need Natural Unadulterated Pure Honey.. Call or whatsapp me on 0 81 016 667 71

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by Ekakamba: 6:56am On Oct 06, 2019
cool
Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by Yabsun(m): 6:56am On Oct 06, 2019
Op, Jesus is alive when He(Jesus) made this quote: "For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” It was after Jesus's death that Paul said this:

ph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Col 3:13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

Bottom line is that through the grace of His death, we are saved and our sins are forgiven for those that beliveth in Him. This grace hasn't abound when Jesus made the quote.

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by 001spice: 6:57am On Oct 06, 2019
U no get work. Nothing is different

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by Kevinsamba: 6:58am On Oct 06, 2019
Bro Jesus death was the forgiveness God gave us
So since Jesus had not died then he had every reason to tell them to forgive so that his death would not be in vain.
From my explanation above I don't need to explain why Paul was now saying that they already we're forgiving.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by Silas6(m): 6:58am On Oct 06, 2019
You're misunderstanding those passages seriously!

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by boolet: 6:58am On Oct 06, 2019
undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by hisexcellency34: 6:59am On Oct 06, 2019
Rubbish talk. The Bible is God's word

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by SultanOfAbia: 7:01am On Oct 06, 2019
The Bible has
1. Spiritual Meaning
2. Literal Meaning

A lot of Christians only see the literal meaning of the word of God.
An example is when Jesus healed the blind man in Jericho
In physical literal terms Jesus gave him his sight
But what that signifies in the spiritual meaning is the Lords desire to cure mankind from the state of spiritual blindness. When you see in the bible the word blindness it means spiritual blindness.

Jesus is the light. And the Eye is a symbol of understanding. A healthy eye will absorb light so you can see. Lack of understanding means the eye can't absorb light properly and the person can't see which causes blindness.
The deeper spiritual meaning of the Word of God has more wisdom

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by Ajoboss(m): 7:02am On Oct 06, 2019
mrvitalis:
Have always believe so ....when I was religious never took Paul's part seriously
why??
Mehn I really like Paul and believe in his teachings

Considering the fact that the dude was not even part of Christ disciples while he was on earth.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by Uyi168: 7:02am On Oct 06, 2019
OK..

3 Likes

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by Mc1807(m): 7:03am On Oct 06, 2019
yet to understand what a black man have to do with stories that happened far away middle east.mtcheww wat a fuckery!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by Nobody: 7:03am On Oct 06, 2019
Brother forget this long episode, do the following if want to make heaven
1.Humility
2.Love
3.Mercy
4.Forgive
The above are the virtues of God, and if you most see him , you must be like him

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by DIVFAVOR(m): 7:05am On Oct 06, 2019
Same thing bro, Christ preached love mostly and expressed it by given His life for all, while Paul preached Christ because Christ is love and the law we have now.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by NaijaOlododo: 7:06am On Oct 06, 2019
There is no much difference. More so, don't just pick a verse and compare. Note that Jesus preached to so call believers then (Jews) while Paul spoke to the Gentiles. Our preaching also differs in perspective due to our various churches. So be guided, no difference.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by Vixlot: 7:07am On Oct 06, 2019
There is no contradiction

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 06, 2019
nothing is contradictory in Paul and Jesus teaching.
for example faith and work are the same thing. one can only know you have faith if you do the work. infact faith should move you to do the work of Christ.

Paul later move in line with Jesus at James

   
James 2:14-26 New King James Version (NKJV)
Faith Without Works Is Dead
What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?
Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without
your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by
works faith was made perfect? And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

you should also know that Paul and Jesus were speaking to different audience.
Jesus was dealing with the Jews who already have basic knowledge of the scripture and God while Paul message was tailored to suit unbelieving people of the nation

2 Likes

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by nauto7: 7:09am On Oct 06, 2019
No

1 Like

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by princeade86(m): 7:09am On Oct 06, 2019
unstoppable51:

Why the rush to comment when you've obviously not read the article? Calm down bro.
It won't take you more than just 5 minutes to thoroughly read the post
u also should read what u wrote. he didn't preach against Jesus, but telling people that with Christ in them, God can do things while Jesus said His own directly. so how did he teach against Jesus Christ. stop misleading ignorant people on this forum because u yourself know that there are many people on nairaland that don't have senses of reasoning.

1 Like

Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by Nobody: 7:10am On Oct 06, 2019
supportnija:
Brother forget this long episode, do the following if want to make heaven
1.Humility
2.Love
3.Mercy
4.Forgive
The above are the virtues of God, and if you most see him , you must be like him
only this four?
Re: Are The Teachings Of Paul Truly Against The Teachings Of Jesus? by mrvitalis(m): 7:10am On Oct 06, 2019
Ajoboss:
why??
Mehn I really like Paul and believe in his teachings

Considering the fact that the dude was not even part of Christ disciples while he was on earth.
Have u read the bible from start to finish ?

U would just notice a change ....even the 12 found it hard to understand

Jesus never came for the whole world he came for the Jews ....but Paul broke that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prophet Anointed CFM SEER 1 Claims He Healed HIV+ Man With Anointing Water / You Have First Class Righteousness - Joseph Prince / "Those Who Want Nigeria To Divide Are Agents Of The Devil" - Bishop Adeoye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.