Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,745 members, 7,802,278 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:52 AM

[Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? (14917 Views)

Nairaland Programmers !!! What New Project Are You Up To Now / What Programming Language Is Used In Creating Viruses? / Programmers, What Is Our Future?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by fxtrade6: 8:34am On Oct 08, 2019
Bro, if you want to learn programming just go for C# and python. PHP has a bad code structure and is often refer to as "monkey code".Beside PHP is outdated and is definitely not going to be the programming language of the future.

Good Luck

2 Likes

Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by Bossman(m): 8:47am On Oct 08, 2019
These are all different languages that Excel in different areas. The key thing is to use the best tool for a particular job. More importantly, once you learn the core principles of software development, you can easily move from one programming language. I will say this though, here in the USA, a huge majority of the corporations use Java. And it has been that way for a very long time. It's quite easy to find a job/contract, and the pay is quite good.

3 Likes

Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by romme2u: 8:52am On Oct 08, 2019
rexefe:

This your explanation is misleading and myopic

she is absolutely right...........

read sarutobi post carefully

1 Like

Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by ayosam4real: 8:55am On Oct 08, 2019
I can tell you authoritatively that Java is the best you can ever think of, it's so robust and avail you opportunities in bigger companies, however i need to say it's robustness is also its difficulties because you have to know most of its libraries but if you can study this programming language,i bet you are good to go that even IBM would sort after your intellectual prowess sad

Grandlord:
I've opened a ton of pages on my browser researching this question.
It's all about what 'field' you want to specialize in.

What I've found out is that PHP(Laravel) is quite popular in web Dev, especially for freelancers, though recently Python (Django) is mostly preferred because it is more reliable when it comes to complex situations.

I learnt node.js is also gaining traction and Ruby on rails is popular too.

I'm still in a dilemma myself as to whether to learn Python or PHP for web dev. I love python because I'm interested in machine learning and automation but I just wanna start out with web dev for now. So if anyone could guide me here please ?
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 08, 2019
tellwisdom:
Use Efik, But if you want the program for business, use igbo sad
Lol serves him right.
The op is as confused as fvck
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 9:00am On Oct 08, 2019
fxtrade6:
Bro, if you want to learn programming just go for C# and python. PHP has a bad code structure and is often refer to as "monkey code".Beside PHP is outdated and is definitely not going to be the programming language of the future.

Good Luck
Here you go again with the PHP Hate, a PHP code is as bad as the programmer. PHP is here to stay
Below is a trending video of myself advocating for PHP at a Google Developer Group DevFest. Beside me is the highly respected Prosper Otemuyiwa
https://twitter.com/clintonnzedimma/status/1180572970563117056

1 Like

Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by Grandlord: 9:01am On Oct 08, 2019
ayosam4real:
I can tell you authoritatively that Java is the best you can ever think of, it's so robust and avail you opportunities in bigger companies, however i need to say it's robustness is also its difficulties because you have to know most of its libraries but if you can study this programming language,i bet you are good to go that even IBM would sort after your intellectual prowess sad

Considering what you and bossman have contributed, I'll have to say that I'm super excited to take on the challenge of learning and mastering Java. smiley
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by romme2u: 9:04am On Oct 08, 2019
ayosam4real:

sad

No............C++ laughs in spiritual powers

1 Like

Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by rexefe(m): 9:07am On Oct 08, 2019
romme2u:

she is absolutely right...........

read sarutobi post carefully

Read again

(regarding the quoted text)
If you can't understand the misleading context she explained in, then that's your business.

Your Code, Your User experience
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by satowind(m): 9:09am On Oct 08, 2019
My advise is learn JavaScript, learn object oriented behaviour any other language u want to pick will be easy for u
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by Emyo(m): 9:27am On Oct 08, 2019
I need a App developer for an urgent job.
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 9:33am On Oct 08, 2019
Emyo:
I need a App developer for an urgent job.
android or web app?
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by Syranax(m): 9:42am On Oct 08, 2019
C#

Asp.net is just watching.....
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by Emyo(m): 9:45am On Oct 08, 2019
ClintonNzedimma:

android or web app?

An Android App that get triggered via a web API.
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by Grandlord: 9:50am On Oct 08, 2019
Syranax:
C#

Asp.net is just watching.....
I understand that .net is a Microsoft framework used by big corporations and banks, so more job opportunities compared to Java? cc: bossman

1 Like

Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by emmy9500: 10:08am On Oct 08, 2019
There is no best programming language, languages are just tools. You can pick up any language you need on your Dev career.

Pick any language you like to grasp the idea of programming

2 Likes

Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by dfrost: 10:11am On Oct 08, 2019
MountainView:

I hope you do know that Google makes use of ML a lot.

Always read in-between the lines, believe me, it helps!

Is ML a programming language?
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by dfrost: 10:14am On Oct 08, 2019
MountainView:

I hope you do know that Google makes use of ML a lot.

Always read in-between the lines, believe me, it helps!

You want the op to code in ML? Sometimes using big vocabulary doesn't mean we can transfer knowledge. Break it down and make it easier for the op.
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by MountainView: 10:19am On Oct 08, 2019
dfrost:

You want the op to code in ML? Sometimes using big vocabulary doesn't mean we can transfer knowledge. Break it down and make it easier for the op.

He asked a question, and I gave him options, you were the one that started quoting me anyhow.
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by AIIyIic(f): 10:21am On Oct 08, 2019
MountainView:
It depends.

Let me tell you why I said so.

1. For web applications that are expected to handle millions of server requests, One would go for a programming language like Golang, Java, and probably JavaScript (NodeJS) but again it also depends on how you want to scale both vertical and horizontal.

2. For Web Applications that would require the aid of AI/ML, and expect to handle millions of synchronous requests, then I'd go for Python/Django together with ML libraries in Python.

3. For Web Applications that would require the aid of AI/ML, and expects to handle millions of synchronous requests, then I'd still go for Golang, Java and probably JavaScript(NodeJS) together with ML libraries in Python and call these libraries via API's written in Python(Flask).

4. For web applications that won't handle millions of Synchronous requests and doesn't require any form of Automation, PHP will do just fine.

Remember, all these depend on how you implement your server infrastructure/architecture
i.e vertical/horizontal scaling.

The web app on my signature was written in PHP.
You can take your time to check it out.

Do you make a reasonable amount of money from this your website?

1 Like

Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by dfrost: 10:22am On Oct 08, 2019
MountainView:

He asked a question, and I gave him options, you were the one that started quoting me anyhow.

It's okay. Let it slide.
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by AIIyIic(f): 10:22am On Oct 08, 2019
MountainView:
It depends.

Let me tell you why I said so.

1. For web applications that are expected to handle millions of server requests, One would go for a programming language like Golang, Java, and probably JavaScript (NodeJS) but again it also depends on how you want to scale both vertical and horizontal.

2. For Web Applications that would require the aid of AI/ML, and expect to handle millions of synchronous requests, then I'd go for Python/Django together with ML libraries in Python.

3. For Web Applications that would require the aid of AI/ML, and expects to handle millions of synchronous requests, then I'd still go for Golang, Java and probably JavaScript(NodeJS) together with ML libraries in Python and call these libraries via API's written in Python(Flask).

4. For web applications that won't handle millions of Synchronous requests and doesn't require any form of Automation, PHP will do just fine.

Remember, all these depend on how you implement your server infrastructure/architecture
i.e vertical/horizontal scaling.

The web app on my signature was written in PHP.
You can take your time to check it out.

Do you make a reasonable amount of income from this your website?

1 Like

Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by omoyankee3(m): 10:55am On Oct 08, 2019
Python. It's the choice language for AI and AI is the future.

1 Like

Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by Devops: 11:17am On Oct 08, 2019
IamaNigerianGuy:
Learn Ruby of you want to get into web development no there language or framework beats Rails. Moreso your first jobs will be web programming. Forget this talk about automation, AI and ML. The jobs don't exist in Nigeria and require a lot of maths.

Alternatively learn python because it is more versatile, but python is inferior to Ruby for web dev.

Learn JavaScript after ruby or python because you cannot escape JavaScript on the web. It is the language for manipulationg the DOM ie html pages. Also, JavaScript is flawed in design and its frameworks are difficult to master. If you, as a beginner, jump directly into JavaScript then Node, React, Vue or whatever, you are in for a world of pain.

I don't recommend PHP because it has a very narrow focus. But certain companies and many websites ( based on WordPress) use it.

In all this remember that you need to learn programming first before any language. Programming is the core skill, languages are only implementations. When you know programming you can pick up languages easily; and by easily I mean one or two weeks
Programming is learning how to drive a car. Languages are like deciding which car you want to use to transport yourself to a destination.
Stop deceiving people. This is Nigeria if you a rails developer here, you won't see any job.Face reality and forget what you read online. Django is better than rails. And Python has more prospects than ruby. Be guided.

2 Likes

Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by MountainView: 11:20am On Oct 08, 2019
AIIyIic:

Do you make a reasonable amount of income from this your website?

Nope, I don't, do you care to help?
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by Ayomipoe(m): 11:21am On Oct 08, 2019
Everyone will swear by their own stack. But it really depends on what you want.
But my own take is that you learn JavaScript.
I don't know JS myself and I hate the fact. But JS Object oriented programming (oop) makes it easier to learn other C style languages easily.
I love python personally and I always seek a python first approach to solving clients issues. But learning python first? It's syntax makes it harder to learn other languages rapidly. But that's my own brain sha.
Js or python your fine. If your preference to pick python is because of data analytics and ML/AI. I'm very sure most popular libraries will support JS so don't worry.
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 11:27am On Oct 08, 2019
Devops:
Stop deceiving people. This is Nigeria if you a rails developer here, you won't see any job.Face reality and forget what you read online. Django is better than rails. And Python has more prospects than ruby. Be guided.

Comprehension is taught in secondary school. Read my post well and relate it to the question asked not your preconceptions.

And fyi I am a rails developer so I know what I'm talking about.
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by Devops: 11:32am On Oct 08, 2019
IamaNigerianGuy:

Comprehension is taught in secondary school. Read my post well and relate it to the question asked not your preconceptions.

And fyi I am a rails developer so I know what I'm talking about.
I'm a ruby/rails developer too. Rails is not better than Django. And advising someone to learn rails or ruby instead of python /django in this country is wrong.
Be guided.

2 Likes

Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 08, 2019
I wanna study elect elect engineering by Gods grace and i have a lot of interest towards programming and machine language learning , I have learnt alot from the gurus here
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 08, 2019
Which good laptop can the good people of this forum recommend for me because i intend starting my programming classes come November
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by Ayomipoe(m): 11:45am On Oct 08, 2019
And yes, python is very very versatile. But sometimes it does the job poorly or with much difficulty.
Re: [Advice] For New Programmers, what server-Side Programming Language Is The Best? by Godbuoy: 11:54am On Oct 08, 2019
shocked

Seriously speaking Boss,
You guys are complicating issues here.
This one will say PHP is outdated, expired, dead another will say learn PHP. Others will say Python, Javascript, Ruby, Django. grin

As a programmer, can't u guys just outline the language to go for as a beginner?

So u mean the person that has started PHP should quit and go for python all in the name of PHP is outdated making the person feeling bad on why he / she choosed PHP at first? Or can a person not learn pHP then move over to python or any other languages? Is it impossible to do that?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? / [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) / Arduino,raspberry Pi,sensors Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.