Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,617 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:16 PM

Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America (48723 Views)

Do this If you are a HND Graduate and want to get scholarship in USA and Canada / Dr. Bukola Bello: Mum Who Went Back To School After 4 Kids, Graduates With A PhD / Monifa Phillip, Black Woman Graduate From University Of Glasgow, PhD In Physics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by hargbolahan01: 2:50pm On Oct 08, 2019
I saw the guy is working for US fed.....that's who we are, losing talented people to the rest of the world

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by Oloyedecherry: 2:50pm On Oct 08, 2019
DOMINGOPAPI:
Wait o, if I heard well, did he mean Professor Osinbajo didn't bag any Ph.d .

That's almost shocking... shocked
Really, someone should please enlighten me on this, how possible can that be?
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by Zoehill(m): 2:50pm On Oct 08, 2019
I have said it time without numbers our Educational system need an overhaul, we worship certificates rather than merits with sincerity.
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by uuzba(m): 2:50pm On Oct 08, 2019
Xclusiveme:
Interesting. But not everyone has the capability of doing their PhD in da UK. Its very expensive. Cos the value of School there is so high. Unlike Nigeria who doesn't give a crap if you're a master holder. You won't still see a job
What do you want to do with UK phd?
I know a guy, who was doing a PhD in the University of Leeds.
Guy will fry burger in McDonalds, wash plate, wash toilet to earn money.... Carry his hard earned cash and pay his fees.
Run left and right doing research.
When he submits one chapter, the supervisor will smear it, mark him down, call it substandard rubbish work.

Na im the guy just said F**k this shit men! Throway the PhD, waka comot the school.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by erico2k2(m): 2:51pm On Oct 08, 2019
YorubaNinja:
When education is made flexible UNLIKE Nigeria and U.K.

The reason U.S is years ahead of U.K in education and technology progression is the fact that the educational system in the U.S is very flexible and simple with numerous options.
The U.K is rigid like the 90s-2000s WAEC and JAMB.
what nonsense.How is education rigid in the UK??
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by dalongjnr: 2:51pm On Oct 08, 2019
That is very good while here, all we concern ourselves with is HND/Bsc dichotomy.
Getting the work done in the best possible ways is what matters as far as,it's according to stated standards.

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by Johnson5258: 2:52pm On Oct 08, 2019
Just excellent. There is different between protocol and effectiveness.

Nigerians are protocol people while foreigners work with effective people.

Is it this one that HND holders are classified with the O'Levels?

May God help us.
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by erico2k2(m): 2:52pm On Oct 08, 2019
uuzba:

Study the history of America.
None of them owns that land. They all came from Europe and dragged black people from Africa there. The real natives of America are very quiet. Not very popular.
It is all these Europeans, once they landed US, their aim and goal was to surpass the whole world in Everything.
They all have positive mindset.
Build road, bridge, tallest building, fastest plane, strongest weapon.... and Education is the back bone to all this.
Hence very good education available to all.
please lecture him again!
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by gurunlocker: 2:53pm On Oct 08, 2019
In Nigeria, most lecturers derive joy in failing you while using impacting archaic knowledge into the students.

Whereas, in the west, they want to see you succeed.

2 Likes

Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by Carmit(m): 2:53pm On Oct 08, 2019
Lamanii22:

Don't be tribal now...

Honestly I'm not tribal.... It was an honest question. I've only being in Nigeria for 6 years now... Thats my observation

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by Carmit(m): 2:54pm On Oct 08, 2019
Ebonygirl1:

No shiit Sherlock

Madam Holmes... I greet you
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by gbollykore: 2:56pm On Oct 08, 2019
In the Uk if you have an Hnd you can go for a top up degree program for 9 months to convert it to Bachelors degree. Most universities will admit you without any troubles particularly if the Hnd is from the Uk
Universities also offer Hnd programs in the Uk
In the Usa you have to have your transcripts evaluated to Usa standards. Most universities will classify an Hnd as an associate degree which means you may have to do a year or two more to earn a bachelors
However some colleges may consider individual situations work experience and all that. They may allow someone to pursue masters program directly

I hope this helps someone

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by shamecurls(m): 2:56pm On Oct 08, 2019
Only Sango can give you this type of wisdom
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by xcelentattitude(m): 2:57pm On Oct 08, 2019
He was born in America
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by capitalzero: 3:02pm On Oct 08, 2019
Oloyedecherry:

Really, someone should please enlighten me on this, how possible can that be?

in the past,you need bsc with or without master to attain professorship status. soyinka became prof and won Nobel prize without PhD. truly, two certificates are important and both can lead to many opportunities: secondary school and first degree certificates. Other certificates are just addendum. many PhD programs are coming up because education has been commercialized. technically,you do not need PhD to become prof what you need are teaching and research skills. however, it is compulsory to have PhD to become prof in Nigeria but not worldwide.

3 Likes

Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by capitalzero: 3:04pm On Oct 08, 2019
gbollykore:
In the Uk if you have an Hnd you can go for a top up degree program for 9 months to convert it to Bachelors degree. Most universities will admit you without any troubles particularly if the Hnd is from the Uk
In the Usa you have to have your transcripts evaluated to Usa standards. Most universities will classify an Hnd as an associate degree which means you may have to do a year or two more to earn a bachelors
However some colleges may consider individual situations work experience and all that. They may allow someone to pursue masters program directly

Exactly. that is how it is supposed to be.
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by Xclusiveme: 3:23pm On Oct 08, 2019
uuzba:

What do you want to do with UK phd?
I know a guy, who was doing a PhD in the University of Leeds.
Guy will fry burger in McDonalds, wash plate, wash toilet to earn money.... Carry his hard earned cash and pay his fees.
Run left and right doing research.
When he submits one chapter, the supervisor will smear it, mark him down, call it substandard rubbish work.

Na im the guy just said F**k this shit men! Throway the PhD, waka comot the school.

He wasn't capable. People need to learn to stop doing things beyond them. Just imagine the wasted effort. If he was determined he will strive hard to make it one more time

2 Likes

Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by Oloyedecherry: 3:37pm On Oct 08, 2019
capitalzero:

in the past,you need bsc with or without master to attain professorship status. soyinka became prof and won Nobel prize without PhD. truly, two certificates are important and both can lead to many opportunities: secondary school and first degree certificates. Other certificates are just addendum. many PhD programs are coming up because education has been commercialized. technically,you do not need PhD to become prof what you need are teaching and research skills. however, it is compulsory to have PhD to become prof in Nigeria but not worldwide.
Now i get it, Thank you so much, I really appreciate.
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by Legendguru: 3:41pm On Oct 08, 2019
hmmmm
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by Lamanii22(f): 3:50pm On Oct 08, 2019
Carmit:

Honestly I'm not tribal.... It was an honest question. I've only being in Nigeria for 6 years now... Thats my observation

Okay
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by salford: 4:19pm On Oct 08, 2019
gbollykore:

Most universities will classify an Hnd as an associate degree which means you may have to do a year or two more to earn a bachelors

Same in Canada. You need additional two years to convert any sort of diploma to a degree.
Only difference is that Canada is not so crazy about degrees but experience.
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by lucianohase(m): 4:21pm On Oct 08, 2019
I like seeing my fellow ICT dudes who are doing great exploits in the field, It motivates me.
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by oleeee(m): 4:38pm On Oct 08, 2019
YorubaNinja:
When education is made flexible UNLIKE Nigeria and U.K.

The reason U.S is years ahead of U.K in education and technology progression is the fact that the educational system in the U.S is very flexible and simple with numerous options.
The U.K is rigid like the 90s-2000s WAEC and JAMB.
\
you dont know whats going on
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by Zuriel100(m): 4:43pm On Oct 08, 2019
y dey born me for naija self.... person go spend 5 years for school tnx to ASUU strike come spend another 2 years for mobilization.... if na outside na.... I for d go 4 my PhD now
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by sonnie10: 5:18pm On Oct 08, 2019
gbollykore:

This is not true. Nigeria HND is not considered as an associate degree in the US. Associate degree requires that you complete just 65 credits. But HND from Nigeria when evaluated could get as many as 130 credits. Remember in most cases, a bachelor degree in US requires completion of 120 credits which is even less than what the HND from Nigeria gets.
In some cases HND could be admitted directly for Masters level program but an associate degree holder cannot. The only exception is for certain professionals programs where the professional license is counted as credit towards the bridge bachelors-masters degree requirement. This is usually caped at 90 credits. So in that case, 30 more credits is needed to get the bachelor for the Masters program entry

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by subcbouy: 5:25pm On Oct 08, 2019
meanwhile, a phd program that should last 3 yrs will finally end 7yrs in Nigeria.
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by Tecno66: 5:30pm On Oct 08, 2019
Until recently, if you have a masters degree with years of teaching in the university and a lot of research papers to your credit, you can be made a Prof. in Nigeria. Prof. Nwabueze, the legal luminary and a lot of others passed through this route. It doesnt diminish the quality of their professorship. Until recently too, if you graduate with first class degree, you go to the UK to do direct Ph.d without a master's degree. Again, this does not diminish the quality of your Ph.d. You are also allowed to teach the master's degree that you didnt do.
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by mechanics(m): 5:51pm On Oct 08, 2019
Education in abroad is quite easier than over here, that's why some Nigerians who had third class end up having distinctions over there, congrats to him.
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by rinzaugustine: 5:54pm On Oct 08, 2019
uuzba:

Study the history of America.
None of them owns that land. They all came from Europe and dragged black people from Africa there. The real natives of America are very quiet. Not very popular.
It is all these Europeans, once they landed US, their aim and goal was to surpass the whole world in everything.
They all have positive mindset.
Build road, bridge, tallest building, fastest plane, strongest weapon.... and Education is the back bone to all this.
Hence very good education available to all.
You Forget to mention the freedom that was lacking in Europe and which they found in America allowed them to do all those things.Freedom,liberty and equality are the bedrock of America’s greatness
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by keryj(f): 6:09pm On Oct 08, 2019
gbollykore:

Yes my dear, it comes handy
Re: Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America by keryj(f): 6:11pm On Oct 08, 2019
sonnie10:

This is not true. Nigeria HND is not considered as an associate degree in the US. Associate degree requires that you complete just 65 credits. But HND from Nigeria when evaluated could get as many as 130 credits. Remember in most cases, a bachelor degree in US requires completion of 120 credits which is even less than what the HND from Nigeria gets.
In some cases HND could be admitted directly for Masters level program but an associate degree holder cannot. The only exception is for certain professionals programs where the professional license is counted as credit towards the bridge bachelors-masters degree requirement. This is usually caped at 90 credits. So in that case, 30 more credits is needed to get the bachelor for the Masters program entry

In summary, are you saying HND in Nigeria can guarantee one access to masters degree in the US?
If false, do enlighten more pleas

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obidients Get Ready To Retire Sanwo-olu / FUTO VC Gave A Student A Funny Reply On Twitter (Photo) / OAU Students Sing 'Soapy' In Class, Lecturer Looks On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.