Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:37 AM

Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State (24772 Views)

Michael Okpara University Final Year Students Spray Cash After Final Paper (Pix) / Covenant University Final Year Student Forced To Shave Beard By Lecturer(video) / Adekunle Ajasin University Students Protest Over Tuition Hike - Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by Mrcomedimatic: 7:30am On Oct 09, 2019
The recent heavy rainfall in Ondo State has claimed the life of a final year student of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba, in Akoko Southwest Local Government Area of the state.

Also, many residents of Ado Ekiti, the state capital, have been thrown into utter misery and confusion as the downpour that lasted about 11 hours wreaked havoc on different parts of the metropolis.

According to reports, the deceased student simply identified as Doyin, who was also an indigene of Ekiti State, was dragged away to an unknown destination by the heavy flood from a canal very close to her residence in Akungba town.

The downpour in Ado-Ekiti, which began around 2:45pm on Monday and lasted until 12:15pm on Tuesday, rendered many homeless and destroyed valuables worth several millions of naira. Some of the affected areas were Ajilosun, Adebayo, Odo Aremu, Ureje, Eminrin, Old Garage, Irona, Atikankan, Olorunsogo, Olorunda and Basiri, among other parts of the metropolis.

The landlord of the missing student in Ondo, Elemukona Ademola, who narrowly escaped the raging flood, said: “I have to climb cocoa tree, when many people thought I had been carried away by the flood.” The landlord said he had made many efforts to curtail the erosion from the canal.

At the scene of the incident, the Ondo State Commissioner for Agriculture, who is also an indigene of the town, Otunba Gboyega Adefarati, paid a sympathy visit to the area. He warned his kinsmen against building houses very close to the canal. Adefarati equally cautioned those in the habit of blocking the drainages with refuse to desist from such act, as this practice always leads to flooding.

Already, the AAUA authorities have suspended lectures and tests earlier scheduled for the week over the incident. A statement signed by the Institution’s Acting Registrar, Opeolu Akinfemiwa, however, said all students should resume today.

According to him, “The University is leaving no stone unturned in the quest to find the missing student. Divers and other volunteers have been sought to search the path of the river in a bid to find the missing under graduate.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/flood-sweeps-away-final-year-varsity-student-in-ondo/amp/

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by nurex01(m): 7:46am On Oct 09, 2019
Ikunle Abiyamoo. Ọ. Oh God !!! Save us from any calamity lurking dangerously around. Amin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by datopaper(m): 7:47am On Oct 09, 2019
When will NIGERIA works?

This death is painful and I reeled sad indeed.

A graduate in waiting, just die like that.

1 Like

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by vizkiz: 7:47am On Oct 09, 2019
It is no news that about 90% of the houses in Ado Ekiti are old with bad structures. Especially those God forsaken houses around Odo-Ado, Fajuyi, omisanjana and some other terrible places.

The first time I visited Akungba I was shocked to why a sane parent will send her kids to a school with such distasteful environment. I can't even let me dog live around that area (Though there are some new places with standards)

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:47am On Oct 09, 2019
According to him, “The University is leaving no stone unturned in the quest to find the missing student. Divers and other volunteers have been sought to search the path of the river in a bid to find the missing under graduate.”

Damn it!
This is so sad.
What a terrible way to die!
After all the years in nursery, primary, secondary and 3 years in the university and just some few months to be a graduate, he was swept off by flood!
We can only imagine the colossal pain of his parents.
Just so sad.
May this never be anyone's portion in Jesus name.
Pidika:
Amen
A BIG Amen.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by engrkaz(m): 7:48am On Oct 09, 2019
Sad
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by tillaman(m): 7:48am On Oct 09, 2019
Tragedy!!
The painful thing about tragedy is after it has striked then you realize it’s avoidable!
I hope God comforts the lady’s family

4 Likes

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by ednut1(m): 7:49am On Oct 09, 2019
Horrible death
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by Xstremebj: 7:49am On Oct 09, 2019
RIP to d dead

dis ar the things people demselves can do always depending on d government to do all tins

1 Like

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by 24kmagic: 7:49am On Oct 09, 2019
Chai
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by Freyabadd(f): 7:50am On Oct 09, 2019
Tragic cry
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by Nobody: 7:50am On Oct 09, 2019
Horrible angry

By the way,
I promote Businesses on social media to reach a wide range of potential customers.

Check my siggy
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by Raphsays: 7:50am On Oct 09, 2019
I hope they find him in peace and not in pieces
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by oogbiko(m): 7:50am On Oct 09, 2019
This is sad

Check my siggy
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by 24kmagic: 7:51am On Oct 09, 2019
Is Ado-Ekiti in Ondo state?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by ednut1(m): 7:51am On Oct 09, 2019

1 Like

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by Nobody: 7:52am On Oct 09, 2019
This is sad.

The reporter no try at all.
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by goshen26: 7:52am On Oct 09, 2019
So sad!

Some over rich people using their money to sandfill the ocean in Lagos should continue ooo
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by Dygeasy(m): 7:54am On Oct 09, 2019
embarassed embarassed
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by ClitRaider: 7:55am On Oct 09, 2019
*PENSION ADMINISTRATORS are EXPLOITING US!!!
*All of us will get old one day.....in few years to come it !will be your turn!*
*_The current pension manipulations should be stopped by Nigerians now!_*
*I was very happy when the Senate recently made a move to adjust the Pensions Act to enable Nigerians withdraw up to seventy five percent of their cumulative savings. The liberty should even extend to allowing pensioners withdraw their whole sum. The law could also give pensioners the liberty to either withdraw their total sum or give the Pension Administrators the kind of investments they want!*
*_After spending sixty years or thirty five years of active service to your nation gathering all types of experiences finance, administration etc. PFA still termed you as novice; you don't know how to handle your hard earned entitlements!_*
*I will make a simple illustration here: _MR. A retires at sixty and has =N=20m as his savings. He accesses 50% of =N=20m which equals =N=10m. The balance =N=10m is to be spread over 180 months (15years) and MR. A earns =N=55,555 monthly for 15years and he stops earning anything because he is expected to die at 75. If MR. A will be allowed to have his total sum of =N=20m, ceteris paribus (all things being equal), he could invest in the Money Market or Government Treasure Bills. Currently and authoritatively =N=20m fetches up to 15% on a 70 days tenor. Meaning =N=20m gives about =N=3m per annum. Divide =N=3m by 365 days and multiply by 30 days gives MR. A, a monthly earning of =N=246,575 without depleting his capital of =N=20m!_*
*Why have we been quiet. Nigerians should wake up from this very deep slumber. The sum given to an average pensioner is not up to the interest the Administrators rake in on his/her capital. This manipulation/exploitation made the PFAs the richest entities even richer than Nigeria its self!*
*_Please share this widely to save yourselves at old age. The National Assembly should save the Nigerian elders now!_*these is a call to save us all from EXPLOITATION AND CORRUPTION
*FORWARDED AS RECEIVED/COPIED*
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by maynation(f): 7:58am On Oct 09, 2019
vizkiz:
It is no news that about 90% of the houses in Ado Ekiti are old with bad structures. Especially those God forsaken houses around Odo-Ado, Fajuyi, omisanjana and some other terrible places.

The first time I visited Akungba I was shocked to why a sane parent will send her kids to a school with such distasteful environment. I can't even let me dog live around that area (Though there are some new places with standards)

Look at this attention seeking low life. Where are you even from?

And what has Ado Ekiti got to do with this?
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by Offpoint: 7:58am On Oct 09, 2019
What a tragedy....
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by baratech: 7:58am On Oct 09, 2019
Na wa
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 09, 2019
Mrcomedimatic:
The recent heavy rainfall in Ondo State has claimed the life of a final year student of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba, in Akoko Southwest Local Government Area of the state.

Also, many residents of Ado Ekiti, the state capital, have been thrown into utter misery and confusion as the downpour that lasted about 11 hours wreaked havoc on different parts of the metropolis.

According to reports, the deceased student simply identified as Doyin, who was also an indigene of Ekiti State, was dragged away to an unknown destination by the heavy flood from a canal very close to her residence in Akungba town.

The downpour in Ado-Ekiti, which began around 2:45pm on Monday and lasted until 12:15pm on Tuesday, rendered many homeless and destroyed valuables worth several millions of naira. Some of the affected areas were Ajilosun, Adebayo, Odo Aremu, Ureje, Eminrin, Old Garage, Irona, Atikankan, Olorunsogo, Olorunda and Basiri, among other parts of the metropolis.

The landlord of the missing student in Ondo, Elemukona Ademola, who narrowly escaped the raging flood, said: “I have to climb cocoa tree, when many people thought I had been carried away by the flood.” The landlord said he had made many efforts to curtail the erosion from the canal.

At the scene of the incident, the Ondo State Commissioner for Agriculture, who is also an indigene of the town, Otunba Gboyega Adefarati, paid a sympathy visit to the area. He warned his kinsmen against building houses very close to the canal. Adefarati equally cautioned those in the habit of blocking the drainages with refuse to desist from such act, as this practice always leads to flooding.

Already, the AAUA authorities have suspended lectures and tests earlier scheduled for the week over the incident. A statement signed by the Institution’s Acting Registrar, Opeolu Akinfemiwa, however, said all students should resume today.

https://thenationonlineng.net/flood-sweeps-away-final-year-varsity-student-in-ondo/amp/
wack journalism. All these place are in ado ekiti. Pls Mr wack ass journalist are you talking about ado-ekiti or akungba akoko. So confusing. Headline reads "rain sweeps off final year student in ondo state." Commissioner for agriculture ondo speaks. Locations affected ado-ekiti ekiti state. Nairaland mods sef nawa. They will just push anything to front page.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by seangy4konji: 7:59am On Oct 09, 2019
One thousand ways to die..
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by Emrixx(f): 8:00am On Oct 09, 2019
May God avert evil from our dwelling place

1 Like

Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by ursullalinda(f): 8:00am On Oct 09, 2019
Na waoh so sad, may his soul rest in peace
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by 12345baba(m): 8:00am On Oct 09, 2019
datopaper:
When will NIGERIA works?

This death is painful and I reeled sad indeed.

A graduate in waiting, just die like that.

have hope
Re: Adekunle Ajasin University Final Year Student Swept Off By Flood In Ondo State by Tblesd: 8:00am On Oct 09, 2019
D writer is confused. Tell me when Ado Ekiti is now Ondo state capital? What a painful incidence caused majorly as a result of financial problem.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JAMB Cut-Off Mark For 2020 Admission: 160 For Universities, 120 For Polytechnics / JAMB Directs Tertiary Institutions To Begin Admission Processes August 21 / Photo Of A Secondary School Classroom In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.