Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,670 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:06 PM

‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians (45625 Views)

Your Identity Is Still Unknown - Okowa Tells Tinubu / All Herdsmen In Ebonyi To Carry Identity Cards - Government / Group Supports 'Operation Show Your Identity', Faults Falana (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by ThisIsOutlaw: 10:53am On Oct 09, 2019
VaselineCrew:

So you are agreeing with the guy you quoted that you need to have ID at all times by law abroad?

It doesn't hurt to carry and ID, and it's not necessarily all the time, like when you drive, when you travel, late nights, being out of town and all that. It's actually good for you the ID card owner

2 Likes

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by odaniel1(m): 10:57am On Oct 09, 2019
U want to profile us? No problem. Tell NIMC to give us our National Identity Card that over 70% of nigerians have registered for since 2015!!
Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by VaselineCrew: 11:04am On Oct 09, 2019
Bluffly:

From my understanding, it is advisable to have an ID on you even though you aren't mandated. Without Ary operation whatever, I always have an ID with me.

That’s fine and I admire the fact that you are always well prepared, with your ID on hand.

However, you already stated in your response that it’s advisable and not mandated and that’s were the crux of the matter lies.

You can’t be harassed in a developed democracy for just walking around without ID, but here in our underdeveloped democracy, they want to mandate it, hence opening the door to further harassment of innocent civilians by Nigerian authorities.

People are already complaining about sars, do we really need to add military complaints on top of that? Imagine a young chap going to his nearby store by 7pm to quickly get some fruits, holding only cash and walking. Then he runs into some overzealous military men that DEMAND for his ID at random. Why should such a guy be required to have an ID in that scenario?

There are spheres of society where IDs are mandated without interfering with personal freedoms, like for transportation. You are required to have a valid drivers licence to operate a motor vehicle. You are required to have a passport to board an international bound airplane...

This does not translate to the personal lives of citizens, as being required to present an ID at all times, even when one has done nothing wrong and isn’t operating a vehicle, or under any institution that requires it, is an infringement on ones personal freedoms.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by omeddy: 11:06am On Oct 09, 2019
All these Buratai have run out of ideas.. Retirement don reach and go and chop your pension quietly...

1 Like

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by VaselineCrew: 11:06am On Oct 09, 2019
ThisIsOutlaw:

It doesn't hurt to carry and ID, and it's not necessarily all the time, like when you drive, when you travel, late nights, being out of town and all that. It's actually good for you the ID card owner

It is definitely good to have and a must in some case, like driving as you said.

The issue here is, they want to make it a must at all times.

1 Like

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by DonBenny77(m): 11:09am On Oct 09, 2019
etimesin:

What course did you study in the University? In case if l may be of help.

If you feel you can be of help drop your email I.d. will forward my c.v right away
Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by Reference(m): 11:14am On Oct 09, 2019
And where is the National Assembly for them to hear our own view of the issue....dead. All they will say is, 'carry go oh Lord and Master....'

Anything we see we take. We have made our beds.
Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by Iykezuby: 11:15am On Oct 09, 2019
warripekin:
Nigeria is gradually turning to a concentration camp. You want to demand Id cards from Nigerians and by the military. what for? It keeps getting worse everyday.

My Advise to you os to carry your ID Card so that you won't be a victim

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by Germi9: 11:18am On Oct 09, 2019
I am Pained when I see people writing against this idea by the Military...in Africa,Nigeria is one of the most Porous countries were every herdsman from Somalia Chad,Sudan etc find as their endpoint,to the extent that we do not eevn know whom the true citizens are..isn't it high time we know the true citizens of this country?we cry of over-population yet we still cry about I'd clarifications. Nigerians how do we please you!!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by onyxo76(m): 11:25am On Oct 09, 2019
So my thick oyo tribal marks are not enough to identify where i come from abi, ori gbogbo yin ti gbale
Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by Bluffly: 11:30am On Oct 09, 2019
VaselineCrew:

That’s fine and I admire the fact that you are always well prepared, with your ID on hand.

However, you already stated in your response that it’s advisable and not mandated and that’s were the crux of the matter lies.

You can’t be harassed in a developed democracy for just walking around without ID, but here in our underdeveloped democracy, they want to mandate it, hence opening the door to further harassment of innocent civilians by Nigerian authorities.

People are already complaining about sars, do we really need to add military complaints on top of that? Imagine a young chap going to his nearby store by 7pm to quickly get some fruits, holding only cash and walking. Then he runs into some overzealous military men that DEMAND for his ID at random. Why should such a guy be required to have an ID in that scenario?

There are spheres of society where IDs are mandated without interfering with personal freedoms, like for transportation. You are required to have a valid drivers licence to operate a motor vehicle. You are required to have a passport to board an international bound airplane...

This does not translate to the personal lives of citizens, as being required to present an ID at all times, even when one has done nothing wrong and isn’t operating a vehicle, or under any institution that requires it, is an infringement on ones personal freedoms.

You can't expect less in countries like Nigeria. In some developed country your finger print is enough to identify you. It is all about systems in place. Thank God for NIN, if possible they can inculcate that but where they don't have such, they'll still want to carry out their stupendous approach.
My concern, is what is he job if NPF with all their units which includes antiterrorism and NSCDC

1 Like

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by Commentor: 11:50am On Oct 09, 2019
Germi9:
I am Pained when I see people writing against this idea by the Military...in Africa,Nigeria is one of the most Porous countries were every herdsman from Somalia Chad,Sudan etc find as their endpoint,to the extent that we do not eevn know whom the true citizens are..isn't it high time we know the true citizens of this country?we cry of over-population yet we still cry about I'd clarifications. Nigerians how do we please you!!!

Leave them.

You don't know it is politics they are playing?

During elections they would all claim they cannot get their PVCs, yet the same people would claim they voted with PVC.

1 Like

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by Ulaga12: 11:57am On Oct 09, 2019
[s]
Commentor:

Leave them.

You don't know it is politics they are playing?

During elections they would all claim they cannot get their PVCs, yet the same people would claim they voted with PVC.

[/s]
Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by lookingfly: 11:59am On Oct 09, 2019
madmohamed:
if you vote for this man buhari don't complain. Leave people who don't vote for him to complain
we that didn't vote are loving this next level......we all will smell our nyash in this country.

1 Like

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by mechanics(m): 12:00pm On Oct 09, 2019
What if one does not have ID card?
Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by delishpot: 12:09pm On Oct 09, 2019
Sai Baba. Its still them that will go backyard to kill security personnel and release criminals. They can only affect small or powerless people. The main corruption is sponsored by them. From the very top of the pinnacle.
Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by DonMekino(m): 12:24pm On Oct 09, 2019
no problem, but is it the duty of the army to search the civilians in cases that are not emergency?
Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by m140(m): 12:29pm On Oct 09, 2019
FarahAideed:
It's getting worse !!! The rights of Nigerians to live freely is being heavily breached by this same govt ...The Buhari govt knows who the bandits are , where they stay and has even proposed to build Rugas for them and even sent a whole governor to pay them a visit in their camp but yet today they want ordinary citizens to provide them with ID cards before the can move around freely
You dont really understand how its really going, until you are in his shoes,,, you just can't,,,, this things is just coming from one brain alone,,, which i bliv they would have sat and plan b4 bringing it forward....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by joe120120(m): 12:35pm On Oct 09, 2019
Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by Generalnomercy: 12:45pm On Oct 09, 2019
For my brothers from Southwest shouting next level, have you seen the idiots you people supported?

They want to put profile people from th South , tag them terrorists and kill them while replacing them with Fulani terrorists from Chad, Niger, Mali etc.

All these are coming after their failed bid to for southerners donate their lands for terrorists occupation.

1 Like

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by uniqueogo(f): 12:54pm On Oct 09, 2019
The national identity card is registered since 2016 i still haven't gotten the ID card. I am still carrying around the laminated paper
Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by Thermodynamics(m): 12:55pm On Oct 09, 2019
For Nigeria when work nor de, who nor come get ID card unkor.
Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by Eteka1(m): 1:02pm On Oct 09, 2019
FarahAideed:

Stop being shallow and emotional and read the below

I have ID card but I am saying the military is not a police force to stop me and ask for my ID card ...is Nigeria under Martial law ? If it is then Buhari should do the right thing and step down , suspend the National assembly and then declare Nation wide martial law ?

Giving the ARMY arbitrary powers to stop and question citizens is total breach of the Constitution as regard the rights of the citizens and even constitutional role of the military
You are the one being shallow and also narrow minded. The military has been called in to help dislodge Book Haram terrorist and cross border bandits. The moment they were called in, they are allowed to deploy any legal means necessary to counter the ever changing tactics of the terrorists. I don't think them conducting stop and search, checking IDs etc is illegal. Pls quote the portion of the constitution that prohibits the army from conducting stop and search.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by Basher8583: 1:09pm On Oct 09, 2019
FarahAideed:

I have ID card but I am saying the military is not a police force to stop me and ask for my ID card ...is Nigeria under Martial law ? If it is then Buhari should do the right thing and step down , suspend the National assembly and then declare Nation wide martial law ?

Giving the ARMY arbitrary powers to stop and question citizens is total breach of the Constitution as regard the rights of the citizens and even constitutional role of the military
Please what more do you want. We all complained that bandits and kidnappers have taken over the country and Nigerian government is not doing anything about it. Now that something is being done your are complaining again. Nawah oh.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by maytiti: 1:10pm On Oct 09, 2019
Hello there!

We seek to carry out a detailed case study of 100 Nigerian businesses.

We want to learn how they've succeeded in Nigeria’s unique business landscape.

We seek businesses who have been in operation for over 10 years, to share their stories and share in-depth information and data that will help future generation of entrepreneurs and how to navigate Nigerian business terrain.

If you are willing to participate, please use the link below to get started.

http://www.ekoinnovationhub.com/case-study/

If you don’t wish to participate or you are not yet 10 years in business we would appreciate, if you could recommend a business that will fit the criteria, or simply share the below to them, and we will contact them.
http://www.ekoinnovationhub.com/case-study/referral.html

Your response is highly appreciated.
Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by FarahAideed: 1:12pm On Oct 09, 2019
Eteka1:
You are the one being shallow and also narrow minded. The military has been called in to help dislodge Book Haram terrorist and cross border bandits. The moment they were called in, they are allowed to deploy any legal means necessary to counter the ever changing tactics of the terrorists. I don't think them conducting stop and search, checking IDs etc is illegal. Pls quote the portion of the constitution that prohibits the army from conducting stop and search.

Dislodge them from where? The same bandits the governor of Katsina went to pay homage to along with army in tow ? The same bandits the govts knows about their locations and even want to open Ruga for? The same Terrorists the Buhari govt knows how to channel ransomes safely to?

The military says it's carryout a Nation wide stop and search even in cities looking for bandits whose locations they know?

My friend is Nigeria is under Martial law tell us now so we can keep quiet but we cannot be running a democracy and you tell us otherwise
Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by FarahAideed: 1:22pm On Oct 09, 2019
Basher8583:

Please what more do you want. We all complained that bandits and kidnappers have taken over the country and Nigerian government is not doing anything about it. Now that something is being done your are complaining again. Nawah oh.

The Buhari govt and the Army knows the locations of most of the bandit camps around Nigeria ( they are not hiding ) and if they claim they don't know they should ask Gov Masari to give them direction to the hideoutof the bandits he visited recently to pay homage and beg them. They can start from there instead of stopping a tax paying citizen on the streets of Lagos to show them ID they have no business with in the first place

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by Eteka1(m): 1:35pm On Oct 09, 2019
FarahAideed:

Dislodge them from where? The same bandits the governor of Katsina went to pay homage to along with army in tow ? The same bandits the govts knows about their locations and even want to open Ruga for? The same Terrorists the Buhari govt knows how to channel ransomes safely to?

The military says it's carryout a Nation wide stop and search even in cities looking for bandits whose locations they know?

My friend is Nigeria is under Martial law tell us now so we can keep quiet but we cannot be running a democracy and you tell us otherwise
Rivers State government and other SS governments have met with and granted amnesty to militants before. They do these gestures as an olive branch to persuade criminals to change. If the criminals continue carrying out attacks however, these governments do still go after them. I did not see you cry blue murder then. It is therefore not new what the katsina state government did.

You are still making wild, unsubstantiated allegations. Simply provide me with what part of the constitution stops the army from carrying out stop and search while carrying out security operations.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by delvzy(m): 1:41pm On Oct 09, 2019
Sick people everywhere. You for say make we dey wear idcard everywhere na even market
Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by friendlyadvice: 1:41pm On Oct 09, 2019
quentin06:

any crook can get an id, this does not address our insecurity.
Then they will take measures to make sure they can spot the fakes from the real deal just like they do with PVCs
And btw its not harassment if the people assigned to protect you ask you to identify yourself, so yes how do you plan on addressing insecurity in the nation? I'm all ears.

1 Like

Re: ‘You Have To Provide Your Identity Cards’ - Army To Nigerians by FarahAideed: 1:44pm On Oct 09, 2019
Eteka1:
Rivers State government and other SS governments have met with and granted amnesty to militants before. They do these gestures as an olive branch to persuade criminals to change. If the criminals continue carrying out attacks however, these governments do still go after them. I did not see you cry blue murder then. It is therefore not new what the katsina state government did.

You are still making wild, unsubstantiated allegations. Simply provide me with what part of the constitution stops the army from carrying out stop and search while carrying out security operations.

The Nigerian constitution very explicit as regards the role of the Nigerian armed forces and provisos guiding their deployment and I can tell you for free the Constitution doesn't avail the Nigerian military and civil policing role except where the Constitution is suspended and martial law enacted by way of declaration of of emergency approved by both Legislative houses ... You are not a very smart person And that's your reason for supporting such a failed govt I guess .. tell me on thing the Buhari govt has got right that is making you support them ? Just one thing !!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

LASTMA Officers Arrest Military,NSCDC Officers Driving On BRT Lane In Lagos(pics / Abuja People Are Already Running From The City Because Of Elections? (photos) / Obasanjo, Abiola, Yar'adua See Hell In Prison - Tell Magazine 1996 Cover (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.