Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,759 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) (1277 Views)

Peter Obi Compares Nigeria’s Budget, Poverty Rate With China’s. Is He Correct? / Here Are The 10 Ministries Planning To Spend 86% Of Nigeria’s Budget In 2024 / Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by xmanco42: 11:19am On Oct 09, 2019
Fellow Nairalanderz,
I don't know much about government administration that's why am here with my confusion.
My question is, now that 2020 budget is out, what happens to 2019?
Let take a look at 2019 budget.
lalasticlala do what you do best

Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by xmanco42: 11:22am On Oct 09, 2019
Remember this are not numbers but money in Billions

Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by xmanco42: 11:25am On Oct 09, 2019
Where are all this proposed project? Have they complete all this project? Are they going to fund it from 2020 budget? What happen to the 2019 budget fund allocated to it?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by xmanco42: 11:30am On Oct 09, 2019
Apologies, I like inforgraphics

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by xmanco42: 11:35am On Oct 09, 2019
From a positive angle, In an organization, increase in recurrent expenditures can be due to increase in capital project (maintenance, new employees then salaries, wages, operational costs etc).
So how far has Nigeria development to warrant this yearly increase in recurrent expenditures.?

Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by seunmsg(m): 12:06pm On Oct 09, 2019
xmanco42:
Remember this are not numbers but money in Billions

Actually, they are just numbers and not money in billions. Nigeria’s budget is an estimate and actual performance is far from what was envisaged. Implementation of the 2019 budget is still ongoing with full implementation of the recurrent and debt servicing aspect. Sadly, implementing the capital component is the problem. Government began implementation (cash backing) last month and even Buhari said sometimes last week that they are planning to see if they can cash back about N600billion before December. If things go according to plan and the country is returned to January -December budget cycle, that mean only about N600billion out of the estimated N2trn was expended on capital projects in 2019. That’s just about 30% of the Budgeted sum.
Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by xmanco42: 12:24pm On Oct 09, 2019
seunmsg:

Actually, they are just numbers and not money in billions. Nigeria’s budget is an estimate and actual performance is far from what was envisaged. Implementation of the 2019 budget is still ongoing with full implementation of the recurrent and debt servicing aspect. Sadly, implementing the capital component is the problem. Government began implementation (cash backing) last month and even Buhari said sometimes last week that they are planning to see if they can cash back about N600billion before December. If things go according to plan and the country is returned to January -December budget cycle, that mean only about N600billion out of the estimated N2trn was expended on capital projects in 2019. That’s just about 30% of the Budgeted sum.
thanks but you need to down a bit to my level.
From what I understand the 2019 budget has not been fully implemented. This the revenue from 2020 will be use to implement it right? and also the revenue from 2021 will be use to implement 2020 budget.
My head is paining me, or am I the only not understanding this.
Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by ladilawal82(m): 12:30pm On Oct 09, 2019
Interesting
Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by NwaNimo1(m): 12:40pm On Oct 09, 2019
Roll over budget......paying for previously paid for contracts!
Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by seunmsg(m): 7:32pm On Oct 09, 2019
xmanco42:
From a positive angle, In an organization, increase in recurrent expenditures can be due to increase in capital project (maintenance, new employees then salaries, wages, operational costs etc).
So how far has Nigeria development to warrant this yearly increase in recurrent expenditures.?

Government agencies keep employing people irrespective of whether they need their services or not. Minimum wage was also increased from N18k to N30. It’s not so hard to figure out why recurrent expenditure keeps going up every year.
Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by seunmsg(m): 7:49pm On Oct 09, 2019
xmanco42:
thanks but you need to down a bit to my level.
From what I understand the 2019 budget has not been fully implemented. This the revenue from 2020 will be use to implement it right? and also the revenue from 2021 will be use to implement 2020 budget.
My head is paining me, or am I the only not understanding this.

Implementation of the capital component of the 2019 budget started last month when government released about N290billion to MDAS. The president in his budget speech yesterday also said he has directed the finance minister to release an additional N600billion before the end of the year to bring capital implementation to N890b out of the budgeted N2.1trn. The 2019 budget will end in December according to plan and the 2020 budget will kick off.

Revenue from 2019 cannot be used to implement 2020 budget because 2019 budget is already running on deficit. The president disclosed that actual revenue generated as at June, 2019 is only 58% of what was projected. Simply put, the revenue generated in 2019 is not even enough to implement recurrent expenditure not to talk of capital or rolling some over to implement t 2020 budget.
Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by mabea: 8:12pm On Oct 09, 2019
seunmsg:

Implementation of the capital component of the 2019 budget started last month when government released about N290billion to MDAS. The president in his budget speech yesterday also said he has directed the finance minister to release an additional N600billion before the end of the year to bring capital implementation to N890b out of the budgeted N2.1trn. The 2019 budget will end in December according to plan and the 2020 budget will kick off.

Revenue from 2019 cannot be used to implement 2020 budget because 2019 budget is already running on deficit. The president disclosed that actual revenue generated as at June, 2019 is only 58% of what was projected. Simply put, the revenue generated in 2019 is not even enough to implement recurrent expenditure not to talk of capital or rolling some over to implement t 2020 budget.

If that is the case, why making bogus budge seeing that its actualization is bleak? Mind you govt has never reached or fulfilled its budget at anytime.
Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by helinues: 8:12pm On Oct 09, 2019
Ok
Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by seunmsg(m): 8:13pm On Oct 09, 2019
mabea:
If that is the case, why making bogus budge seeing that its actualization is bleak? Mind you govt has never reached or fulfilled its budget at anytime.

Those making the budget are in a better position to answer your question.
Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by Racoon(m): 8:17pm On Oct 09, 2019
Imagine a budget that will be sustained by taxation, debt servicing ratio is higher than capital expenditure? Buharimonics is a voodoo economy.
Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by seunmsg(m): 8:33pm On Oct 09, 2019
Racoon:
Imagine a budget that will be sustained by taxation, debt servicing ratio is higher than capital expenditure? Buharimonics is a voodoo economy.

The alternative to sustaining our budget with taxation is to sustain it with debt. You cannot be criticizing imposition of taxes to fund budget and also be criticizing huge debt obligation. Government can’t do without the two.
Re: Nigeria Budget:my Worries As A Common Nigerian (inforgraphics) by Racoon(m): 8:54pm On Oct 09, 2019
seunmsg:
The alternative to sustaining our budget with taxation is to sustain it with debt. You cannot be criticizing imposition of taxes to fund budget and also be criticizing huge debt obligation. Government can’t do without the two.
What have the govt done with most of the borrowings that hitched Nigeria's debt burden to what it's today in order to resort to taxation?

How can govt adopt this uneconomical option in this midst of a poor GDP, mainly crude oil-dependent/import economy with poor investor confidence?
Where are the improved revenues the govt have been lying about? TSA savings, FIRS, Customs,
so called recovered/relooted funds etc?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Iran Offers $80 Million Dollar Bounty Reward For Donald Trump's "Head" / Nigeria Overtakes Syria, Somali, Yemen, Pakistan In World Global Terrorism Rate. / Jackson Ude And His Uninformed-mat Historical Lies (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.