Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,968 members, 7,806,802 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? (10040 Views)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: 4 Methods Corrupt Nigerians Use To Steal Nigeria's Money / Buhari Plans Mass Retirement Of Corrupt Military Leaders / Sarakis' : The Thieving Slave Masters Of Kwara (with Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by Sagamite(m): 7:58pm On Nov 05, 2010
I have always wondered how the fact that it is public knowledge that one's parent is a ruthless crook affects the offsprings.

How do Alamieyesigha's kids deal with the name that associates them with such a shameless crook?

How do Tafa Balogun's kids handle the humiliation when their father was found guilty?

There are many other known crooks in Nigeria, are their kids defiant? Are they ashamed by association?

My own experience was I knew one famous Nigerian crook who's child went to my university. The name stood out and when I asked the individual if that was their father, the individual denied it point blank. The man in question is one of those utterly unprincipled baaaastard politicians that will swivel across parties as long as there is something there for him.

We became good friends and being me, I always lambasted the crooks of Nigeria and frequently mentioned the person's father's name without a second thought. It was when we were about to graduate that the individual knew that I would inevitably meet the father at the graduation ceremony and pulled me aside one day and told me (s)he lied when, that the man was actually the father. I just quickly adjusted and said "Enough said, you don't need to explain yourself, forget about it" so as not to make the person feel embarassed or uncomfortable. We are still very very good friends.

Can people give accounts of Nigerian crook's kids they have met and how the kids deal with the public knowledge that their parents are one of the ones bringing miseries to Nigerians.

How do they cope with a family name of shame?

Flow!
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by MShittu: 8:01pm On Nov 05, 2010
I don't think they care. They might not even know! All they need to know is that they have money and live good lives. The families of corrupt politicians need to be jailed, no joke.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by Sagamite(m): 8:03pm On Nov 05, 2010
^^^ Are you close to any?
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by MShittu: 8:07pm On Nov 05, 2010
My mom knows some. She went to school with Abacha's son in Maidugururi, and, according to her, that boy was an slowpoke. When he came out and ran for whatever post he wanted to, everyone called him a 'detribalised nigerian' bcuz he hd frends with all kinds of cultural heritages, but, according to my mom, he had no idea what he was doing and could not exploit or advertise himself as a 'detribalized nigerian'.
I am, however, close to a few richer nigerian kids, and those kids really don't known anything, or dont care about Nigeria and its governance. All they know is that PHCN is bad and when the lights go off, so do their game consoles.
Its not all of 'em tho. There are some who express genuine care for their country. I know a girl in the UK who's studying real hard cuz she wants to go and set up a free hospital up north in Gumel.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by Woke4all(m): 8:29pm On Nov 05, 2010
They don't care!
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by Nobody: 8:42pm On Nov 05, 2010
It really does affect them, and sometimes I feel sorry for the innocent ones.

They had no choice, they were born into their parent's mess.

Like that anakonda (?) Politicial that had his whole family banned from the US. If UK had implemented the same law, his children would have been dismissed from their uni.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by Sagamite(m): 9:05pm On Nov 05, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Like that anakonda (?) Politicial that had his whole family banned from the US. If UK had implemented the same law, his children would have been dismissed from their uni.

How does a young person explain that to the friends they have made whilst in the uni in US when they got banned without feeling embarassed?

"Well, I can't come back for next semester because my father was 'wrongly' accused of looting. It is not true, it is just politics". But everyone can see the opulence (s)he lives in despite the father being a mere civil servant.

Some must have built up a defence mechanism of denial by lies that they themselves now believe is true and convince themselves that the slush of funds is from their father/mother's shrewd investment in legitimate business using their connections.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by safariman(m): 9:15pm On Nov 05, 2010
There are 2 sets, one that grew up in Nigeria and sees it as business as usual and the other that grew up abroad and is either in denial, doesn't care and live a separate life abroad, not socializing amongst Nigerians. And most Nigerians anywhere like "high service" and would dare not tell to their faces that their family are a bunch of crooks. We celebrate them (Ibori et al)

And some would blame everything on politics
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by Dede1(m): 9:22pm On Nov 05, 2010
I guess in the same manner as the overage saga of Nigerian lady soccer team affects you pal.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by oderemo(m): 9:36pm On Nov 05, 2010
was refurbishing one x gov.hse in london.met the daughter for my fees could not believe how detached frm reality she was frm the struggle back in nija, secondly she c herselfand oda sibblings  as continuation of the oligachy.
This was a 24 yr old law graduate, just bought  swanky appt for 350k  and could hardly comm. In her mothertongue.
She cares less. For what i got out of that job i will plead the 4th ammendment.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by mbulela: 9:39pm On Nov 05, 2010
my cousin is a close friend of one of such kids.
He was yabbing the gal(guy) about his father's looting tendencies.
The girl (boy) shot back, "before nko, if it is your father would he do any different?Please leave all this talk and let's go have a drink"

1 Like

Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by Epiphany(m): 11:02pm On Nov 05, 2010
I know a lot of them and believe me, they dont feel a thing. If they do, they know how to hide their feelings very well. A lot of times too, they actually move around with each other, i guess birds of a feather flock together. That is why you find a lot of them marrying each other, doing business with each other and generally attending the same parties, functions, universities, schools, etc.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by asha80(m): 11:17pm On Nov 05, 2010
Went to university with one of the kids in nigeria.She actually did not like discussing anything about her father.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by Ibime(m): 3:11am On Nov 06, 2010
I have related with about 4 different families. TBH, they do play along with the joke, and people do joke about their popsies but only ever so rarely, and only around a group they are comfortable with. One of em always used to complain about OBJ and the pressure he was putting on her pops. It was obvious OBJ had showed her pops pepper. . . but TBH, people dont talk about problems in Naija amongst them. The only one I know who brazenly jokes and laughs and accept comments without shame is from the fam of one notorious former leader in Rivers State. 

Theres another family who dont associate with Nigerians at all. These ones hit massive, and were at the top of the list when the bank debtors were named and shamed. They completely whitewashed themselves, and already dissociated themselves whilst they were still in Naija. They were already going to expatriate school in PH, and if they see you (in PH) when they're with their white schoolmates, they start forming fune for you. hehehehehe
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by becomrich4: 3:15am On Nov 06, 2010
Then why are you calling Nuhu Ribadu name. Is Nuhu ribadu not one of thier children,
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by mensdept: 3:41am On Nov 06, 2010
Of course many of them dont care. Some are oversees doing coverup jobs trying to not get noticed by anyone. The fmr chairman of INEC has his daughter in yankee and she's workin as a manager in a dept store, using a weird ghetto name and driving nice cars and livin well.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by olaolabiy: 3:43am On Nov 06, 2010
I know 1 o 2. They don't think their parents are/were corrupt. To heirs apparent, others are corrupt but their dads are above board. They would do anything to defend their parents. They would tell you how thier parents worked hard to be successful. How they have managed to overcome societal inequalities to climb to the top rungs of the class ladder. Most are nice, though.

Ask them how they managed to attend Western universities, they would get defensive.

Effing idiots.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by slap1(m): 4:39am On Nov 06, 2010
Ironically, some of us whose parents are not politicians wouldn't mind having 'son of a corrupt politician' written all over their body, so long as the cash flows. The rich kids that are ashamed don't know what they have until they lose it, the poor ones don't fully understand what they're missing until they have it. It's all about individual morality, I believe.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by Nobody: 4:54am On Nov 06, 2010
Sagamite:

How does a young person explain that to the friends they have made whilst in the uni in US when they get banned without feeling embarrassed?

"Well, I can't come back for next semester because my father was 'wrongly' accused of looting. It is not true, it is just politics".

Some must have built up a defense mechanism of denial by lies that they themselves now believe is true and convince themselves that the slush of funds is from their father/mother's shrewd investment in legitimate business using their connections.

True.

Defense mechanism? From? Impossible, no defense mechanism but a cloth of self-denial to help them sleep the night away. I've tried to condition myself to believe there are innocent offsprings amongst them, but it's becoming quite impossible. A pure man that knows that a thief would try to capture a thief. Why do we not have rebels amongst them? Why have not not heard about a politician's children rebelling/ campaigning to stop their thieving parent? We have Iyabo, did she not follow in her father's footstep?

IMO, the first best step starts from within the house. . . . If one of the offsprings rebel against his father's thieving action, it would slowly bring him down. I mean, it's very hard for a man to kill his own but very easy to kill an outsider.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by iice(f): 8:39am On Nov 06, 2010
Indifferent sometimes. Sometimes they act like they have no idea, besides i don't think many people dare talk about such to them. Sometimes they are resigned to such things, like it's how things are supposed to be.

mbulela:

my cousin is a close friend of one of such kids.
He was yabbing the gal(guy) about his father's looting tendencies.
The girl (boy) shot back, "before nko, if it is your father would he do any different?Please leave all this talk and let's go have a drink"
True

Epiphany:

I know a lot of them and believe me, they dont feel a thing. If they do, they know how to hide their feelings very well. A lot of times too, they actually move around with each other, i guess birds of a feather flock together. That is why you find a lot of them marrying each other, doing business with each other and generally attending the same parties, functions, universities, schools, etc.

True
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by Sagamite(m): 11:06am On Nov 06, 2010
iice:

Indifferent sometimes.  Sometimes they act like they have no idea, besides i don't think many people dare talk about such to them.  Sometimes they are resigned to such things, like it's how things are supposed to be.

It is not about dare talking to them about it.

It is uncouth to approach a stranger and tongue-lash or debate with them about the action of another that they are not in control of just simply because of association. Furthermore, it is very likely if one gets to meet these kids, it would be through friendship and you don't attack your friends or friend's friend for the actions of others.

The types you can talk about such to are the ones that are antagonists, especially the ones feeling they are achievers or superior due to the material possessions their parent's thieving loots gets them.

For example, I had a friend that used to date a girl back in Uni days. The girl was completely besotted and wanted to be with him at all cost. Apparently the ex-boyfriend of the girl was the son of former Kogi State governor, Abubakar Audu.

This son was trying to get her back. One time my friend went to the girls Uni to visit her. He took a coach down and paid his less than £20 fare. After a few days there, in the weekend when there was an event at the uni, Audu's son came over and was trying to track the chic, he had heard she was seeing someone new so knew. My friend and the chic were walking somewhere after getting off the bus, when they jammed him. My friend said if I saw the ride he was riding, I would vomit. He was riding some Mercedes Benz that was worth more than £60K and the guy was not even older than 23. He called over to the chic to have a word, the girl went, chatted for 5 mins and came back to my friend with Audu's son looking pissed and giving an air like "you are not in my league". That is the kind of situation you can let go and let them know they are a thief's offspring.

My friend said the girl regaled to him how when she was dating the guy and used to visit him in their Bishop's Avenue apartment, (let me just introduce you guys to this avenue first):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop%27s_Avenue,_The

She used to see a cheque in his name for £2m just lying on top of a table, not even hidden. It was on the table for 3 weeks without the guy even bothering to cash it. Which is somewhat indicative of how insignificant the sum is to the guy. And the house? Don't even bother commenting. There is a reason it is on Bishop's Avenue.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by olaolabiy: 11:28am On Nov 06, 2010
^^^^^
Some of them (heirs) are on this forum.

Kai, you don finish Audu o.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by monkeyleg: 11:33am On Nov 06, 2010
Met and ex VP's daughter who did not know the price of a tuba of yam, then when I told her is was in excess of 80Naira, she scream and said it was a lie.

They are padded from reality, and dont need to care.

Also used to know and ex VP sons, who stole Thousands of Dollars from the father who hid it under the bed, came and spent it in school. They surround themslevs with people who are happy to play along and not ask questions.

Saying that I knew and ex-gov daughter who remains the most humble girl I have ever met. She did not exhude wealth, and there was a general consensus that her father was rather honest, but strict.

But the vast majority do not give a damn about you and I see it as thier time to chop and quench, everyone else can go to hell
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by Sagamite(m): 11:34am On Nov 06, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^^^^
Some of them (heirs) are on this forum.

Kai, you don finish Audu o.

Who gives a toss.

I have one thing to say to them . . . .

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fJ3HE1ksAY&feature=related[/flash]
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by Sagamite(m): 11:45am On Nov 06, 2010
Examples of how Nigerians are flenjouring in Bishop's Avenue.

Here are a Nigerian Couple that bought a £3m house on the Avenue and abandoned it. Maybe the EFCC was on their case:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/propertynews/5835557/Squatters-occupy-3m-home-on-millionaires-row.html

Crooks like Abacha and IBB also have houses there:

http://thewillnigeria.com/opinion/5470-SANI-ABACHA-THE-LESSON-ALL-FAIL-LEARN.html

Otedola has one too:

http://www.zimbio.com/President+Olusegun+Obasanjo/articles/puhyitE5sa_/Meet+Roguish+Nigerian+Billionaire+Femi+Otedola

And they do not even live there. It is empty most of the time:

http://us.ft.com/ftgateway/superpage.ft?news_id=fto062320070743141364&page=1
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by Sagamite(m): 12:37pm On Nov 06, 2010
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by Katsumoto: 3:09pm On Nov 06, 2010
Sagamite:

It is not about daring talking to them.

It is uncouth to approach a stranger and tongue-lash or debate with them about the action of another that they are not in control of simply by association. Furthermore, it is very likely if one gets to meet these kids, it would be through friendship and you don't attack your friends for the actions of others.

The types you can talk about such to are the ones that are antagonists, especially the ones feeling they are achievers or superior due to the material possessions their parents thieving loots gets them.

For example, I had a friend that used to date a girl back in Uni days. The girl was completely besotted and wanted to be with him at all cost. Apparently the ex-boyfriend of the girl was the son of former Kogi State governor, Abubakar Audu.

This son was trying to get her back. One time my friend went to the girls Uni to visit her. He took a coach down and paid his less than £20 fare. After a few days there, in the weekend when there was an event at the uni, Audu's son came over and was trying to track the chic, he had heard she was seeing someone new. My friend and the chic were walking somewhere after getting of the bus, when they jammed him. My friend said if I saw the ride he was riding, I would vomit. He was riding some Mercedes Benz that was worth more than £60K and the guy was not even older than 23. He called over to the chic to have a word, the girl went, chatted for 5 mins and came back to my friend with Audu's son looking pissed and giving an air like "you are not in my league". That is the kind of situation you can let go and let them know they are a thief's offspring.

My friend said the girl regaled to him how when she was dating the guy and used to visit him in their Bishop's Avenue apartment, (let me just introduce you guys to this avenue first):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop%27s_Avenue,_The

She used to see a cheque in his name for £2m just lying on top of a table, not even hidden. It was on the table for 3 weeks without the guy even bothering to cash it. Which is somewhat indicative of how insignificant the sum is to the guy. And the house? Don't even bother commenting. There is a reason it is on Bishop's Avenue.

I know that audu boy; he was the only one who failed in his Master's class and had to accept a diploma. I have friends who were in his class; he was quite a pompous prat.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by dayokanu(m): 3:19pm On Nov 06, 2010
They mostly have friends who are envious of their wealth and would rather kiss their asses
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by iice(f): 3:38pm On Nov 06, 2010
dayokanu:

They mostly have friends who are envious of their wealth and would rather kiss their asses

Explains what i meant by they wouldn't dare talk about it.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by olaolabiy: 4:42pm On Nov 06, 2010
Tensor has got to say something here oo.

Come, Tensor!
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by chic2pimp(m): 3:19am On Nov 07, 2010
I was actually best friends with a child of a corrupt thieving politician. However that was back in primary school so I don't think we ever talked about politics and what not. Although the way Teachers used to kiss her(his) arse(I mean it quite literally) would forever be edged in my Memory. I assume they knew about her(his) father's Ill gotten wealth hence their strange behaviours.
Re: How Does The Thieving Of Corrupt Nigerians Affect Their Kids? by hercules07: 11:39am On Nov 07, 2010
@monkeyleg

Will that be Akande's daughter (former governor of Osun State) ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jonathan Must Come To NASS, Reps Insist / Mile 2-lagos Badagry Expressway Closed For Reconstruction / Nigerians: Cameroon Troops Burned Our Village, Forced Us Out- Associated Press

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.