Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? (42492 Views)

Mutual Funds / Mutual Funds In Nigeria: Please Share Your Experience / Best Nigerian Stocks To Buy For Your Retirement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by Tonim(f): 5:23am On May 20, 2007
Fellow Nairalanders

My name is Tonim, I want to invest some money in Nigeria's growing stock market. I am more interested in Mutual Funds because they are more diversified than stocks.

Could anyone please tell me the best mutual fund(s) in Nigeria and any website I can use for further information ?

Thanks so much.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by philipmay: 8:22am On May 20, 2007
IBTC EQUITY or ETHICAL MUTUAL FUND are the best.you can check their website www.ibtc.com
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by ibssystems(m): 11:29am On May 20, 2007
Philipmay@Please explain how this work please?
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by atilla(m): 1:10pm On May 20, 2007
I certainly dont know if this is the best. . ARM seem to be one of the best investment managers so i was interested in joining their discovery fund. www.armdiscoveryfund.com
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by lordimpaq(m): 1:10pm On May 20, 2007
ARM is the best.

I invest with ARM,
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by DisGuy: 2:36pm On May 20, 2007
Is it the best because you invest in it or some other reason?

Can someone explain how it really works, ive some idea but. . .
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by 2dye4(m): 3:12pm On May 20, 2007
i will recommend both IBTC equity fund and ARm agressive growth fund. they both are purely equity based and they give excellent returns in terms of capital appreciation and dividend payout. i suggest you log on to their sites to find out more. wink
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by DisGuy: 3:13pm On May 20, 2007
ive been trying to find ARM's price history, ican see the price history for ibtc but not for Arms discovery
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by 2dye4(m): 3:22pm On May 20, 2007
@ Dis Guy: how it works?

Simple. mutual funds are pooled funds (a collection of investors pulling their resources together), its is given to the investment manager who carefully selects the stocks that the porfolio will be diverted to. Units are alloted to the investors based on their contribution to the pool (they usually have a minimum initial capital). The price of the fund go up or down everyday as the stocks which the portfolio holds are re-valued everyday. exit is easy as you dont need a broker to sell of ur units,all u do is fill a redemption form and payments will be made to u. there are other conditions attached to funds (dividend is tax free etc) so jst check out their sites to know more.

1 Like

Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by 2dye4(m): 3:26pm On May 20, 2007
Dis Guy:

ive been trying to find ARM's price history, ican see the price history for ibtc but not for Arms discovery

navigate thru their site www.armdiscoveryfund.com, there's a colunm that allows u to check their historical performance and price.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by DisGuy: 4:17pm On May 20, 2007
Thanks alot 2dye4

That elusive column is still doing my head in, i can see the current price just cant find the price history column and link or title pls?
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by Tonim(f): 5:40pm On May 20, 2007
thanks so much everyone. I am looking into the ARM and IBTC as we speak.

The last annual return for ARM was in 2004 based on their website. They really need to update it to 2006.

http://www.armdiscoveryfund.com/Resources/annualrpts.asp
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by atilla(m): 6:09pm On May 20, 2007
Ol boy abi ol Sis.

When the money starts coming in dont forget us oh for advicing u. grin grin
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by aumefa: 7:58pm On May 20, 2007
All the authorized mutual funds managers are ok, but I advise you take a deep look at the IBTC products. Sometime last year I got some analysis on the performances of all the funds managers, guess what, IBTC products performed the best with the ethical funds as the best while the equity fund followed closely.
Also, those who do not want their investments to go into some companies that are seen not to be ethical can be assured that the IBTC Ethical Fund would take care of that.
Statistics (with the right parameters used) don't lie.
Cheers bros & sis.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by DisGuy: 8:04pm On May 20, 2007
I think ibtc are obvious the leading fund managers *

the* last time i checked their price it was in the region of 5,000 something now its 10,000+
I read that gtb and some other bank pulled out of arm discovery fund, their price is a bit reasonable jsut that they don't seem to be bothered about the website, very old data
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by GNature(m): 8:30pm On May 20, 2007
*Subscribing to thread*
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by lewa(m): 5:34am On May 21, 2007
Is there anyone that can give an idea of the rate of returns p.a. for IBTC ethical,mutual funds and ARM's?
Thanks
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by 2dye4(m): 7:40am On May 21, 2007
Dis Guy:

I think ibtc are obvious the leading fund managers *

When last time i checked their price it was in the region of 5,000 something now its 10,000+
I read that gtb and some other bank pulled out of arm discovery fund, their price is a bit reasonable jsut that they don't seem to be bothered about the website, very old data

u av a point, but don't be hasty to hinge performance on price ( i bought IBTC when it was N1500 way back). if i bought a unit of IBTC @ 5K and its now 10k over a period of 2 years and also purchase a unit of ARM fund @ N100 and its now N290 over the same period, going by the rate of return , the ARM fund actually yielded more than the IBTC fund.

Also on the story behind GtBank and ARM, ARM was a subsidiary of GTB until there was a management buy out like 2 years ago, but it has nothing to do with the relationship btwn both companies as ARM still holds is fund in GTB's account.

1 Like

Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by otokx(m): 2:03pm On May 21, 2007
i love common sense over hype but why don't they update their website daily. they can hire me (part time/contract) to help them out.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by sweetstjoy(f): 6:12pm On May 21, 2007
tonim,
mutual funds are exactly what you need as a new investor and to tell you the truth, ARM mutual funds especially the aggressive growth investment is befitting for a young guy who has money to invest, it was selling for N190 per unit in january and right now as im talking to you it is selling for N306 per unit ie is about 57% in 5 months, it is aggressive because of its strategic asset allocation, it has 90% of its total funds invested in equities. it is 2yrs old and has returned 200% since inception ie it started at N100 per unit and is already N306 today, it is not yet listed but will soon go public.
contact me on sweetestjoy4u@hotmail.com for more details. i work with ARM so i think i can inform you better.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by DisGuy: 7:15pm On May 21, 2007
2dye4:

u av a point, but don't be hasty to hinge performance on price ( i bought IBTC when it was N1500 way back). if i bought a unit of IBTC @ 5K and its now 10k over a period of 2 years and also purchase a unit of ARM fund @ N100 and its now N290 over the same period, going by the rate of return , the ARM fund actually yielded more than the IBTC fund.

Also on the story behind GtBank and ARM, ARM was a subsidiary of GTB until there was a management buy out like 2 years ago, but it has nothing to do with the relationship btwn both companies as ARM still holds is fund in GTB's account.
Thanx 2dye4
I wasnt really comparing the performance but the fact that i am able to monitor the price movement till date online.

Will my stockbroker be able to include this in my portfolio or will i have to sign up for thsi myself?
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by Tonim(f): 7:35pm On May 21, 2007
atilla:

Ol boy abi ol Sis.

When the money starts coming in don't forget us oh for advicing u. grin grin

No probs atilla, I'll definately keep in touch. 

sweetstjoy:

tonim,
mutual funds are exactly what you need as a new investor and to tell you the truth, ARM mutual funds especially the aggressive growth investment is befitting for a young guy who has money to invest, it was selling for N190 per unit in january and right now as im talking to you it is selling for N306 per unit ie is about 57% in 5 months, it is aggressive because of its strategic asset allocation, it has 90% of its total funds invested in equities. it is 2yrs old and has returned 200% since inception ie it started at N100 per unit and is already N306 today, it is not yet listed but will soon go public.
contact me on sweetestjoy4u@hotmail.com for more details. i work with ARM so i think i can inform you better.

Thanks so much sweetstjoy. I noticed that the aggressive growth fund hasn't gone public yet, because it is not listed on ARM's website. If I wanted to buy into it, how will this be possible if it has not gone public ?

Also, the information on ARM's website (discovery fund) is very old, the latest info there dates back to 2004. Please tell the folks at ARM that they need to update their website. We need to know the price per unit since inception to date (for the discovery fund etc). IBTC has all this information on their website.

@everyone, are there any other mutual funds in Nigeria worth investing in other than IBTC and ARM ?

thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by 2dye4(m): 6:47am On May 22, 2007
@Dis guy: ur welcome

Funds are not traded on the stock exchange, likewise it is regulated by SEC (Securities Exchange Commission) & not the NSE (Nigerian Stock Exchange) so u don't require a broker. all you have to do is walk into the offices of this investment managers and purchase the funds and u will be assigned an accounts executive to be in charge of ur portfolio.

@Tonim:

Other funds :
-coral growth fund
-Nig fund (Fidelity)
-Legacy fund
-Vintage fund (Oceanic) etc.

But IBTC and ARM are basically the top of the range ( they are the only 2 funds accredited for PFA's to invest in).
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by kokorunna(m): 10:15am On May 22, 2007
sad

The best mutual fund at the moment is IBTC Ethinal Fund, check their site out and read about it.

www.ibtc.com[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by SOJ(m): 10:47am On May 22, 2007
There is also Kakawa Investments Fund.They are new so i dont know much about it yet but knowing Kakawa's pedigree as investment managers they might do well.Heard u can start as little as N20,000,
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by nkc(m): 12:54pm On May 22, 2007
pls is kakawa income fund a mutual fund, pls explain, thank u all
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by sweetstjoy(f): 1:47pm On May 22, 2007
tonim,

the AGI is a 2 yr old mutual fund which is still privately managed by ARM, it is not yet publicly listed , but will do so in june, but the older investors have advantage over those who will come in at IPO. it has returned 200% since inception, it started at N100 per unit and is selling for N307 as at today. that means your 100k in 2005 will be 307k as at today.

the discovery is 12 yrs old and has returned 1042% since inception, it started at N20 per unit and is selling for N289 as at today. on the average, it has returned 25% p a.

the reason for the difference between the two is the strategic asset allocation. Discovery Fund has allocation to fixed income, real estate and shares and cannot go beyond 75% into shares, that is why it is a balanced and moderate risk investment while the AGI has 90% allocation into shares and remaining 10% to fixed income, this describes the high return on investment as well as the high risk associated to the regular fluctuations on the value of shares.investors of the AGI are sent daily prices to monitor their holdings.

also note that a mutual fund should be privately managed for a period of time before it can go public and for a fund managed by and asset manager like ARM, then you have nothing to fear, because 12 years experience is not a joke. its strengthens expertise, size and competence.
i apologise on our behalf for the website update, it is being looked into.thanks
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by ijogbon(m): 3:57pm On May 22, 2007
@Sweetsjoy
When exactly is this IPO for the AGI? I currently hold Discovery and would like to invest in the AGI fund. Can I get in now? For how much?
Thanx.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by skillmyman(m): 4:29pm On May 22, 2007
sweet,
u sound convincing.
can u contact me on hi_myman@yahoo.com. need ur advice pls.
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by 2dye4(m): 5:56pm On May 22, 2007
@Sweet: excellent marketing! what can i say?

i used to be in your shoes u know. cheers
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by DisGuy: 7:34pm On May 22, 2007
2dye4 once again a big thank you wink

Sweetsjoy kiss
Re: Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? by sweetstjoy(f): 9:57am On May 23, 2007
ijogbon:

@Sweetsjoy
When exactly is this IPO for the AGI? I currently hold Discovery and would like to invest in the AGI fund. Can I get in now? For how much?
Thanx.
why not, you can start at any time , all you need do is to fill the initial investment form , which i can send to you via mail,the minimum is 100k. email me(sweetestjoy4u@hotmail.com) so i can get your details and help u get ur statement of accounts.

skillman,
i will email you soon.

2dye4 &dis guy,
thanks and when are you starting your own investments? smiley cheesy
one love

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

see photos of How 200k Started my Barbing, game and laundry business / See What Top MMM Guider Chuddy Ugorji Is Doing In Lagos To Win Nigerians Back(pi / Dangote Refinery: Africa’s Biggest Refinery Takes Shape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.