Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,172 members, 7,807,551 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? (3923 Views)

Seven (7) Most Developed Cities In Nigeria. In Order Of Development IMHO / 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa / The Top 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by wirinet(m): 4:00pm On Oct 12, 2019
LOMBARDY:

Are you Yoruba?

Not exactly, I am itsekiri. Our language is similar to Ilaje and Ijebu dialects. Having said that, I lived and schooled in various parts of Yoruba land, so I have friends from various dialects. I once had an Ondo girlfriend, when she spoke her Yoruba dialect, I could not understand a word.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by StaffofOrayan(m): 4:22pm On Oct 12, 2019
Canada has 2 official languages

LOMBARDY:

And why is that common goal working for a monoethnic Europe but not for a multiethnic Africa?
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by nengibo: 5:17pm On Oct 12, 2019
Somalia is monolingual
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by kmariko: 5:20pm On Oct 12, 2019
As a side note, most developed or high income stable nations have these trajectory fundamentals

1. A dominant ethnic group
2. A dominant language
3. A dominant religion
4. A dominant culfure
5. A dominant "ethos".

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by kmariko: 5:23pm On Oct 12, 2019
As a side note.. And where there are competing ethnic groups, a near total devolution of powers to the various groups as obtained in Belgium, Switzerland Canada etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by LOMBARDY(m): 8:36pm On Oct 12, 2019
StaffofOrayan:
Canada has 2 official languages

But everybody can speak English
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by LOMBARDY(m): 8:36pm On Oct 12, 2019
wirinet:

Not exactly, I am itsekiri. Our language is similar to Ilaje and Ijebu dialects. Having said that, I lived and schooled in various parts of Yoruba land, so I have friends from various dialects. I once had an Ondo girlfriend, when she spoke her Yoruba dialect, I could not understand a word.
Hmm interesting. So you mean they were entirely different languages at a time?
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by LOMBARDY(m): 8:38pm On Oct 12, 2019
nengibo:
Somalia is monolingual
References here are always made to Somalia
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by LOMBARDY(m): 8:40pm On Oct 12, 2019
kmariko:
As a side note, most developed or high income stable nations have these trajectory fundamentals

1. A dominant ethnic group
2. A dominant language
3. A dominant religion
4. A dominant culfure
5. A dominant "ethos".

That means my observation was correct. But Nigeria proved this parameters wrong once during the regional system
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by awgumayor: 9:06pm On Oct 12, 2019
LOMBARDY:

So you're saying the Igbo will serve as a cultural adhesive factor in the case of an independent southern country??
Take note that a joint southern culture is just available with a few connected southern ethnic group. What makes you think the rest won't desire self rule??
You are trying so hard to turn this thread into igbo/ biafra why the main discussion is why are most developed countries monolingual. Biafra gives you people nightmares. Monolingual biafra is even the best.
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by LOMBARDY(m): 9:11pm On Oct 12, 2019
awgumayor [s:
post=83083722]You are trying so hard to turn this thread into igbo/ biafra why the main discussion is why are most developed countries monolingual. Biafra gives you people nightmares. Monolingual biafra is even the best.
[/s]
Don't turn this thread into one of your biafra/afonja threads...
The person I quoted understood my point because we were both making references to many places.
Go around the thread and read my responses to the comment. If the mention of Biafra trigger emotions in you..you can find your way out of the thread
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by awgumayor: 9:19pm On Oct 12, 2019
LOMBARDY:
[/s]
Don't turn this thread into one of your biafra/afonja threads...
The person I quoted understood my point because we were both making references to many places.
Go around the thread and read my responses to the comment. If the mention of Biafra trigger emotions in you..you can find your way out of the thread
I was following your response to guy you have quoted and you sounded like an igbo hater.
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by LOMBARDY(m): 9:22pm On Oct 12, 2019
awgumayor:
I was following your response to guy you have quoted and you sounded like an igbo hater.
And what did the guy's response sound like? We were exchanging ideas through mild debates and you suddenly assume I hate igbo..
Why do you think every political thread must one way or another refer to Igbos?
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by awgumayor: 9:45pm On Oct 12, 2019
LOMBARDY:

And what did the guy's response sound like? We were exchanging ideas through mild debates and you suddenly assume I hate igbo..
Why do you think every political thread must one way or another refer to Igbos?
I was the one telling you not to turn this thread into Igbo/ biafra, you are now throwing it at me. I hate to see a thread people can discuss reasonably, all of a sudden igbo comes into it, the next minutes igbo haters will start flexing their muscles over it.
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by LOMBARDY(m): 11:08pm On Oct 12, 2019
awgumayor:
I was the one telling you not to turn this thread into Igbo/ biafra, you are now throwing it at me. I hate to see a thread people can discuss reasonably, all of a sudden igbo comes into it, the next minutes igbo haters will start flexing their muscles over it.
Please that's enough
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by StaffofOrayan(m): 11:43pm On Oct 12, 2019
Find out about places like Quebec in Canada, their official language is French

LOMBARDY:

But everybody can speak English

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by LOMBARDY(m): 11:44pm On Oct 12, 2019
StaffofOrayan:
Find out about places like Quebec in Canada, their official language is French

I know but Canada is a predominant English speaking Country
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by nengibo: 11:54pm On Oct 12, 2019
LOMBARDY:

References here are always made to Somalia
Yea cause having one language and dominant religion can never be the reason for a country's development
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by LOMBARDY(m): 1:46am On Oct 13, 2019
nengibo:

Yea cause having one language and dominant religion can never be the reason for a country's development
Am not saying it's the main reason. It solves part of the society problem and in another way creates problems for multilingual countries
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by socialmediaman: 1:58am On Oct 13, 2019
LOMBARDY:

Even the north has a lot of languages too..
Plus the ones in the south, what were they thinking?? Unity in diversity??

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-languages-are-spoken-in-china.html
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by LOMBARDY(m): 3:02am On Oct 13, 2019
socialmediaman:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-languages-are-spoken-in-china.html
China has a main dialect spoken by more than 90% of the population. That Is monolingual enough. The rest are just dialects of the same language
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by nengibo: 6:12am On Oct 13, 2019
LOMBARDY:

Am not saying it's the main reason. It solves part of the society problem and in another way creates problems for multilingual countries
What societal problems does it solve
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by myright: 7:49am On Oct 13, 2019
nengibo:

if the SE was to be a country, will the north and SW have a say about the Enugu International airport, onitsha port? Will there be numerous police /army check points along our roads? Will there be 58 toll-gates as being proposed? Will Aba and Onitsha not have international airports? etc
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by wirinet(m): 9:10am On Oct 13, 2019
myright:
if the SE was to be a country, will the north and SW have a say about the Enugu International airport, onitsha port? Will there be numerous police /army check points along our roads? Will there be 58 toll-gates as being proposed? Will Aba and Onitsha not have international airports? etc
If the south east were an independent country, the North might not have a say about Enugu international airport, but the north (through Nigeria), will have a say in planes that will land and take off from Enugu international airport. Without Nigeria granting permission to use its airspace, no plane can leave or enter Enugu international airport.

Same thing with Onitsha port. Without permission from Nigeria, no ship can leave or enter Onitsha port.

About the police/army. This is a debate we should be debating at the national assembly. Federal Police is an aberration. Each state or political unit must have their own Police to enforce their laws. It's stupid to ask federal Police to enforce state laws in state high courts.

But then, it seems the political elites are very comfortable with the current warped arrangements. Except for very few Yoruba politicians, no other politicians from other regions are fighting for state Police.

The military have no business policing the streets, their core function is clearly spelt out in the constitution. They should remain in the Barracks.
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by LOMBARDY(m): 1:36pm On Oct 13, 2019
nengibo:

The Government doesn't have to worry about different ethnic groups saying they're marginalized or ethnic clashes for starters
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by nengibo: 6:31pm On Oct 13, 2019
myright:
No they won't have a say because south east is an independent country in your analogy and I don't think there will be more ports, roads just because the people of the S.E are predominantly Igbo speaking
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by nengibo: 6:37pm On Oct 13, 2019
LOMBARDY:

The Government doesn't have to worry about different ethnic groups saying they're marginalized or ethnic clashes for starters
Ok, but you need to understand that there's no country in the world without a form of division, if it isn't ethnic groups, it will be religion, colour, location, dialect, class
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by LOMBARDY(m): 7:57pm On Oct 13, 2019
nengibo:

Ok, but you need to understand that there's no country in the world without a form of division, if it isn't ethnic groups, it will be religion, colour, location, dialect, class

Yeah I know..but Nigeria is compounded with many of them
Re: Why Are Most Developed Countries Monolingual?? by nengibo: 8:12pm On Oct 13, 2019
LOMBARDY:

Yeah I know..but Nigeria is compounded with many of them
Yea

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian State With The Highest Number Of Jobless And Lazy Youths / Cnn’s I-list Heads To Nigeria – As Nigeria Gears Up To Celebrate 50 Years Of Ind / Which Nigerian Government Was Strike Free?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.