Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,374 members, 7,800,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

Above The Shadows - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Above The Shadows (33511 Views)

OVERMEN (IN THE SHADOWS) On-going / CHASING SHADOWS VOL 6 to be released by soon / Shadows! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Above The Shadows by Zamar: 2:29pm On Mar 22, 2020
Nice write up.
Re: Above The Shadows by BigBasher: 7:52pm On Mar 31, 2020
More....
Re: Above The Shadows by Janet96(f): 3:21pm On Apr 08, 2020
Interesting story.
Re: Above The Shadows by Nobody: 4:24pm On Apr 08, 2020
Thanks for the update
Re: Above The Shadows by WuraSerano(f): 1:11pm On Apr 09, 2020
She snorted. ‘Yeni must really pray to God to do it for her. Just as the Bible says, long expectation can bring about the dejection of the soul. Tell her to pray seriously to her God and ask for a miracle. She needs it.’

‘Oh, we’re praying alright. I believe it’s a matter of time.’

‘Well, time is going.’

Jide nodded agreement and changed the topic. Again, he knew that he could not match his mother whenever it came to trading words.

She was quite right about her postulation except that she was so impatient with his wife, as though it was her fault. In spite of cheating her, he still seriously believed her and, children or no children, he would continue to love her.

Yeni came to mama to ask her what she would like to eat.

‘I’ve already told the maid to prepare pounded yam,’ mama told her.

Trust mama not to waste time or consult anybody on something like that. Yeni nodded and left them.

‘Is this the time she should be asking me what I wanted to eat?’ mama asked her son. ‘See how long I’ve been around!’

‘She knew I was talking with you and she probably didn’t want to interrupt,’ Jide defended stoutly.

‘The way you’re always defending her! Well, what has she finally done now? Didn’t it look like she has finally come to interrupt?’

‘Oh, mama, please.’ There was a mix of plea and consternation in his tone. His mother softened up immediately.

‘I’m sorry, I just want the best for you, dear,’ she said apologetically. Yeni would be free from her side tantrums for the time being.

The following Monday morning witnessed a flurry of activities. Jide only took three cups of coffee and declared that he must leave for office right then. He could leave, though, until mama hacked him.

‘Why don’t you eat proper food?’ mama urged.

‘What you have taken is just like drinking water. You call that food?’

‘I’ll eat later in the office,’ her son explained patiently. ‘There is an important board meeting coming up at ten in the morning and I must really be prepared for it.’

He spelt the words as if they would be difficult for mama to understand.

‘Attending a meeting shouldn’t mean you must not have a decent meal. One can\t do meetings on empty stomach.’

‘Of course, of course. I’ll eat something later in the day.’

He was already dressed in a black Georgio Armani suit and a pair of black Bally shoes to match. Mama liked that about him. Yeni loved that about him. Many friends complimented him about that.

He sent for his briefcase.

‘Stay cool,’ he told his wife as he gave her a loving peck.

There still hadn’t been any telephone call from Biyi. It appeared the guy had tired himself out of his crazy desire, or so, Jide and Yeni thought. Things now relatively looked serene and normal.

‘Take care of yourself too, darling.’

He went in his official car. Monday morning was usually a very busy day for him. Today would not be an exception. He had a very tight schedule waiting for him in the office.

The traffic was relatively light and within forty minutes, he was taking the elevator to his office floor.

3 Likes

Re: Above The Shadows by BigBasher: 11:18am On Apr 10, 2020
Nice update.
Re: Above The Shadows by SolaRaphael: 6:29pm On Apr 15, 2020
Interesting story.
Re: Above The Shadows by WuraSerano(f): 6:35pm On May 13, 2020
He sent for his briefcase.

‘Stay cool,’ he told his wife as he gave her a loving peck. There still hadn’t been any telephone call from Biyi. It appeared the guy had tired himself out of his crazy desire, or so, Jide and Yeni thought. Things now relatively looked serene and normal.

‘Take care of yourself too, darling.’

He went in his official car. Monday morning was usually a very busy day for him. Today would not be an exception. He had a very tight schedule waiting for him in the office.

The traffic was relatively light and within forty minutes, he was taking the elevator to his office floor.

He went through the paper mails and some of the e-mails. There was no message from a bitter lover. They were all normal official letters from people ranging from oil contractors to distributors, transporters and some union members who were aggrieved. He noted and memoed on some of them.

He was so engrossed in duty that he didn’t particularly notice that hi P.A had been wearing a long face. Amanda had expected him to notice and show concern. The least he could do was to ask him what the matter was.

He hadn’t. all he was concerned was his duty. How dutiful!

He was now working on another file which appeared to be taking all his attention. There were documents to go through, notes to be made and papers to write.

At 9.45 a.m., his secretary came to inform him that he had a quarter of an hour more before the commencement of an august meeting.

He rounded off what he was writing and sighed. When it was five minutes to the time, he left his office for the expansive boardroom. He was the first to get there. The others would come in later and the meeting would not really start until 10.10 or thereabout. It was one ignoble thing they called African time.

The meeting didn’t end until 11.30. it was an energy-sapping but a fruitful one. He still had a lot to do in terms of drawing up drafts and writing papers and signing some documents.

This time around, the frenzy he had before the meeting had dissolved into a cool and calm atmosphere. This time also, he noticed the not so pleasant looks of his P.A.

‘Anything the matter, Amanda? You look moody.’

The latter gazed at him for a while and looked away. She was standing in front of his desk, but she remained mute.

He waved her to a seat, certain that something was wrong somewhere. ‘Tell me what is bothering you – whatever it is.’

She took time before she spoke a word. He was very patient with her. She seemed to be appraising the words in her mind before she finally blurted them out: ‘I have come to realized that it’s such a mistake loving you.’

He was at first taken aback as he tried to grasp the understanding of what she had said.

‘I .. don’t understand what you mean.’

‘How will you understand? Haven’t you been so unfeeling?’

‘For God’s sake, what are you driving at? Stop speaking in riddles!’

She allowed another meaningful silence. ‘Didn’t you promise to check me up over the weekend? Didn’t you promise either |Saturday or Sunday afternoon?’

He looked relieved. If that was the reason for the long face, then it wasn’t something so serious. ‘I’m sorry about that. Saturday turned out to be a very busy day. I couldn’t come even in the evening because Mr. Fiberesima was celebrating his wedding anniversary.

I got home to find that my mother had come. Sunday afternoon and evening, I was indoor through out.’

She looked sad and Jide wondered if there was another matter that was bothering her. He also wondered if he wasn’t getting too sentimental with her. It was supposed to be a fling, and nothing more.

She suddenly shrugged in a mock attempt to look unruffled, and stood up.

‘Any other thing the matter?’ he prompted and gave a smile he hoped would be reassuring.

‘It’s … it’s alright,’ she stuttered, trying to smile it off too. ‘I was just kind of worried when I didn’t see you, after all, I’ve always believed that you’re a man of your words. If you couldn’t make it, you could have given me a call.’

That was as flattering as it was sarcastic, he thought primly.

‘Yes, you’re quite right,’ he said. ‘I’m sorry about the oversight. Have you now forgiven me?’

She sighed again. ‘Unless you make it up.’

He grinned broadly. ‘Of course, I will. I will surely make it up to you, Amanda darling.’

The desk telephone started to ring. He picked it up and discovered it was the Managing Director calling. He spoke to his boss for some moments, then hanged up. His attention was needed in the latter’s office, right away.

He squeezed Amanda’s bums as he passed her. ‘See you again, babe.’

https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/above_the_shadows/29529

3 Likes

Re: Above The Shadows by ThrillPlus: 9:48pm On May 13, 2020
Welcome back.
Re: Above The Shadows by Kaycee9242(m): 6:21am On May 14, 2020
thanks for d update but honestly u are killing this story slowly, i can hardly remember d characters again.
Re: Above The Shadows by WuraSerano(f): 9:55am On May 14, 2020
Kaycee9242:
thanks for d update but honestly u are killing this story slowly, i can hardly remember d characters again.

Thanks for your observations. Things will change henceforth.
Re: Above The Shadows by Zamar: 11:25am On May 15, 2020
Thanks for the update
Re: Above The Shadows by WuraSerano(f): 7:17pm On May 16, 2020
The desk telephone started to ring. He picked it up and discovered it was the Managing Director calling. He spoke to his boss for some moments, then hanged up. His attention was needed in the latter’s office, right away.

He squeezed Amanda’s bums as he passed her. ‘See you again, babe.’

He left to meet his boss, but rather than the stormy session he had anticipated, serious matters were discussed over coffee and in a very affable atmosphere.

By the time he came back, it was getting on to lunch/break hour. He observed that Amanda was no longer wearing a long face, but she still looked cool and a little bit aloof.

He decided not to press her further. If anything else was the matter and she couldn’t tell him even after being urged, then that was the way she wanted it. She would definitely have it the way she wanted it.

Roseline Emokpae was not a lady who easily gave up. After the dazed encounter she had with Biyi some night ago, she had finally decided to keep the date she had with him.

She had been to his Ikorodu residence on Saturday evening, just as she had told him she would. She was however disappointed with the outcome.

She had got to his residence around seven o’clock in keeping with the time he gave her. The gate was firmly locked from the outside. That was the first obvious pointer to the fact that he wasn’t at home.

Undaunted, she had pressed the bell and banged the gate. No response.

Maybe he quickly went out to get something, she had reasoned and had decided to wait for him right there at the gate. She was grateful there was no curious neighbors or passers-by to glare at her inquisitively.

But, why not try his number again? She called his number. As usual, the call could not get through.
She was quick to notice how isolated and quiet the place was. He wouldn’t be finding any fun in living alone in a place like this, she reasoned.

Roseline hadn’t lied when she mentioned her name as Rose to Biyi when he had picked her up for the night. In a way, the two of them were alike – to a large extent. Just like Biyi, Rose had dropped out of university.

Like him, she had been rusticated over her activities as a cult member. Unlike him, however, she missed her colleagues at her state university terribly. Unlike him, she wished to return to the ivory tower to complete her education.

She dropped out only a year ago. So far, all attempts she made doing something decent had not paid off – something like being a back-up singer or even modelling. If schooling could not be again, she decided, a career in the music or entertainment industry would be worthwhile.

She had played at some gigs and night clubs. One music producer who promised to help her make a demo and establish her as a star was more interested in her body than her talent.

2 Likes

Re: Above The Shadows by Saturn101: 9:40am On May 17, 2020
Nice update.
Re: Above The Shadows by Kaycee9242(m): 5:28pm On May 17, 2020
Op thanks so much for the short update, God bless u
Re: Above The Shadows by WuraSerano(f): 8:07am On May 18, 2020
Kaycee9242:
Op thanks so much for the short update, God bless u

God bless you too.
Re: Above The Shadows by Zamar: 8:02am On May 19, 2020
More
Re: Above The Shadows by Saturn101: 2:39pm On Jun 11, 2020
More.
Re: Above The Shadows by WuraSerano(f): 7:14pm On Jun 12, 2020
She dropped out only a year ago. So far, all attempts she made doing something decent had not paid off – something like being a back-up singer or even modelling.

If schooling could not be again, she decided, a career in the music or entertainment industry would be worthwhile. She had played at some gigs and night clubs. One music producer who promised to help her make a demo and establish her as a star was more interested I her body than her talent.

The fact was her beautiful body had been the source of her livelihood in the past couple of years. She was always fortunate in picking up, or rather, being picked up, by the rich ones who didn’t appear to mind splashing money and gifts on her.

She had traversed in commercial sex trade a lot and had had men ranging from a randy heart attack-prone man in his fifties, to a dandy, drinking Lebanese.

Biyi, whom she called Eddy, wasn’t the first person that would be proposing the idea of going abroad to her. Indeed, there had been many promises.

The producer who had promised to help her in music had also promised to help her sign a contract in England. She didn’t believe him, though.

One Indian textile dealer promised to introduce her to the world of business in which she would be shuffling between Nigeria, Europe and Asia all on business. One Italian engineer promised to take her to Naples. Sometimes, she wished they would just do it rather than making promises.

Eddy was the one making the latest offer. The peculiar thing about it was that he was the one – the first one- to make the promise of taking her to Canada, a place that was her dreamland.

She had always loved music and she had imagined herself being such a superstar that was winning laurels and trophies, including Grammies.

It was not that she completely believed Eddy, but she told herself to give it a trial. A trial would not hurt, would it? Eddy looked crazy, (ah, plus his kinky taste), but crazy or not, if he could make his promise come true, who cares? Those were her thoughts.

After waiting for him for more than ten minutes on Saturday, she had decided to leave and come another day. Maybe something unforeseen had kept him off, she argued in her mind as she left the place. To her, he looked like a man who could keep his words.

This Monday evening, she had decided to visit him again. The real fact was Biyi, also known as Eddy, had totally forgotten that he had asked her to check him up on Saturday.

Even if he had remembered, he wouldn’t have given it much thought. Biyi had been partying with some friends that very hour she was waiting for him. It was one binge he had had till the early hours of Sunday morning.

She was glad at her venture this Monday evening. He was at home when she got there. He was the one that personally came down to the gate to open the pedestrian side of it.

‘Hello, angel. How’re you doing?’ he couldn’t remember her name. as he watched her enter the compound, he was at a loss on what to do. He was with another lady upstairs, so he just had to be smart.

While they were inside the compound, he did not move more than three meters away from the gate. The girl in his room upstairs was also very interesting. Biyi didn’t want the show to end just like that.

‘You said I should come on Saturday but you were not around.’ The tone was accusing.

He tried to smile genially and to look apologetic.

‘You won’t believe that I was very sick that day.’
She clouded her face. ‘Sick?’

‘Yes, kind of. I went to my uncle’s place, and there I developed a serious running stomach. It must have been something I ate. I even had to sleep over there that night.’ The lies came so glibly, now. Biyi was a master in the art of falsehood and deceit, no doubt.

Rose decided to believe him. ‘I’m sorry for that. When I waited for some minutes and I didn’t see you, I left. I tried your number but could not get through. I couldn’t help wondering why you couldn’t keep your appointment.’

2 Likes

Re: Above The Shadows by Kaycee9242(m): 4:42am On Jun 13, 2020
nice update op but the inconsistency of this story is making it lose its taste.

i have partially forgotten the characters self, kindly do something or u will end up not having any one to read d story henceforth.
Re: Above The Shadows by mhizv(f): 9:59am On Jun 13, 2020
Kaycee9242:
nice update op but the inconsistency of this story is making it lose its taste.

i have partially forgotten the characters self, kindly do something or u will end up not having any one to read d story henceforth.

I swear. Had to start all over again.
Re: Above The Shadows by Kaycee9242(m): 10:28am On Jun 13, 2020
mhizv:

I swear. Had to start all over again.
lol d thing no make sense at all, i have not read dis type of story b4
Re: Above The Shadows by divinelypruned(f): 10:36am On Jun 13, 2020
Interesting story, but the updates makes it so boring, imagine posting two months apart.

1 Like

Re: Above The Shadows by WuraSerano(f): 9:12pm On Jun 13, 2020
divinelypruned:
Interesting story, but the updates makes it so boring, imagine posting two months apart.

Sorry about that. There will be consistency from now on.
Re: Above The Shadows by Kaycee9242(m): 7:55am On Jun 14, 2020
WuraSerano:

Sorry about that. There will be consistency from now on.

this ur reply should have been an update, u make it look as if u are not d real owner of dis story. if u are copying it from somewhere else let us know so we can understand with u
Re: Above The Shadows by BigBasher: 8:13am On Jun 14, 2020
Kaycee9242:

this ur reply should have been an update, u make it look as if u are not d real owner of dis story. if u are copying it from somewhere else let us know so we can understand with u

It is uncharitable to insinuate that the writer is copying from somewhere.

This story is already published by Okadabooks under the name Wura Serano.

If you have a proof that it is a plagiarized work, go ahead and state your proof.

1 Like

Re: Above The Shadows by Lyydia(f): 9:09am On Jun 14, 2020
Op, pls be consistent, nice story

1 Like

Re: Above The Shadows by WuraSerano(f): 1:47pm On Jun 14, 2020
Lyydia:
Op, pls be consistent, nice story

Thanks for your interest.
Re: Above The Shadows by WuraSerano(f): 1:48pm On Jun 14, 2020
She clouded her face. ‘Sick?’

‘Yes, kind of. I went to my uncle’s place, and there I developed a serious running stomach. It must have been something I ate. I even had to sleep over there that night.’

The lies came so glibly, now. Biyi was a master in the art of falsehood and deceit, no doubt.

Rose decided to believe him. ‘I’m sorry for that. When I waited for some minutes and I didn’t see you, I left. I tried your number but could not get through. I couldn’t help wondering why you couldn’t keep your appointment.’

He smiled apologetically again. ‘Oh, it’s that damned stomach upset. Sorry, I couldn’t make it.’

They were still standing on the terrace. She curiously looked at the main building.

‘And, I’m sorry for another thing: today, I won’t be able to attend to you well. My uncle and a cousin are around and we’re having a kind of family meeting. I’ll have to see you another time.’

This time, there was the look of unbelief and incredulity about her. Not to talk of the disappointment.

‘Let me get your address. Tell me when and where I can see you, and I’ll surely make it a thing to remember. I’ll pay you a surprise visit.’

Her countenance softened, but not completely.

‘Come on. This time around, I’ll surely keep the date.’ He grinned.

She dipped her hand inside her bag and brought out a small card. ‘I perform at this club every Friday night from 9.00 p.m. if you can make it to the club, you will surely see me.’

He stared at the card. ‘What kind of performance?’

‘Singing.’

He whistled softly. ‘Alright. That’s good.’ He brought out five hundred naira notes and peeled out some. ‘Use this to transport yourself back.’

‘Thanks.’ She tucked the money inside the side wallet of her bag. ‘I’ll be expecting you.’

‘Okay. See you.’

He waved at her and locked the gate back. She walked jauntily to the bus stop not far away. Not a bad day, she decided as she walked up to where she could hail a cab to Ikeja. There was business to do.

Tonight, she had a late-night date with Khaleed, her Turkish boyfriend. She looked forward to seeing him. That would very likely turn out to be another successful venture, she thought wistfully.

At five o ‘clock, Jide put all official matters aside and started writing on his fiction. He was already on the twelfth chapter, but still had a long way to go. The minimum page he had planned for it was 400 pages with twenty-five chapters.

If he continued at this pace, he should be finishing the writing in a couple of weeks’ time. Amanda had been helping him to have them typed on the computer, and to correct whatever correction he made.

He had no doubt that he would mention her in his acknowledgement. She was still quite feeling sore with him and had not been able to aptly express her feelings to him.

Today, they worked for about two hours on the book. Since morning, they had rarely spoken to each other. He had bought her a surprise package, a Nokia phone, to make up as he had promised. He then wondered why she was still acting as she was.

3 Likes

Re: Above The Shadows by Kaycee9242(m): 6:27pm On Jun 14, 2020
nice update op
Re: Above The Shadows by Khriztarl(f): 11:50pm On Jun 14, 2020
smiley
Re: Above The Shadows by WuraSerano(f): 9:00am On Jun 21, 2020
Today, they worked for about two hours on the book. Since morning, they had rarely spoken to each other. He had bought her a surprise package, a Nokia phone, to make up as he had promised. He then wondered why she was still acting as she was.

Actually, she was feeling the heat of her taciturnity. There was no way she would put up with such controlled conversations the next day. She decided to call it a day.

‘Thanks for all the help you’ve been rendering,’ he told her, smiling in a boyish way.

‘It’s a pleasure. Are you going now?’

‘Yes.’

‘I’m not quite ready.’

‘Well, in that case, I’ll find an alternative means of transport.’

He shook his head. ‘There’ll be no need for that.’ He shut his laptop down and stood up to close for the day too. They rode the elevator down.

‘I’ll be going home straight,’ he announced.

She stared briefly at him. ‘In that case, there’s no need I go with you.’

He looked puzzled. ‘Why that? I don’t understand you.’

‘If you’ll be going home straight, then there’s no need we go together.’

‘Why?’

‘Because there’s no need.’

‘What d’you mean, there’s no need? Have we not been going together before?’

They were at the car park. She dropped his briefcase in the backseat. He studied her for a couple of seconds, then decided how to play along with her.

‘Alright, alright. Get inside the car and let’s go.’

She remained adamant. ‘Well?’

He sighed. ‘Of course, we’ll go to your place first. I won’t be going to my home first, after all. Get inside the car and let’s go.’

It was then that she was mollified. They sat at the back seats while the driver backed the car out of the parking lot and joined the main road.

Something told him he must tread softly in his relationship with Amanda, else he would soon find himself enmeshed in a tangle that would choke him up. She was getting too emotional and that certainly portended danger.

Ladies were always accusing him of not paying attention to them; of being so unfeeling. Jide had been having a running battle with one lover or the other at different times.

He remembered his first love in his school days. Dupe had a lithe and enticing figure he found himself enamored to. One day, she had come to rave about his infidelity – as if they were already married! Jide could not understand what the fuss was all about. Dupe, heartbroken, had called it quit and no amount of entreaty would make her change her mind. Gosh!

‘I thought you care for me,’ Amanda was saying. Biyi’s mind was already far off and he had to jerk himself back to the reality.

‘Huh?’

Amanda reiterated what she had said.

He blinked rapidly. ‘Of course, I care,’ he replied shortly. ‘What makes you think otherwise?’

They always wanted to be assured and reassured, he thought gloomily. Can’t they just take and accept things as they are?

‘If you care, how come you always forget about me the moment I’m out of your sight it’s like my case is out of sight, out of mind.’

‘That’s not true,’ he corrected. ‘I’ve already told you the reason why I couldn’t make it to your place over the weekend.’

She shook her head but didn’t say anything. Whatever that meant. Jide held her hand, trying to look as serious as he could.

‘Amanda, you shouldn’t let a small matter like this make you become so uptight. Try to be understanding. I thought I’ve even made up for the inadequacy.’

He looked so candid whenever he spoke that way. Yeni was always taken in by that mien. Amanda was no exception. This time around, she mellowed down.

‘It’s just that I missed you so much,’ she said softly.

‘I missed you, and I’m sorry.’

He patted her shoulder. She wished she could really make him understand her feelings better.

You’re just being sentimental, she told herself almost in a reproach. Lover boy was already married, couldn’t you understand that?

Why did you start this emotional adventure with him in the first place? Sentiments. Raw sentiments. She wished she could brush aside emotions.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Who Has An Idea What This Is About? / Chimamanda Adichie And Oprah Winfrey Meet In London (Photos) / Brother Wale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.