Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says (31463 Views)

Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? / Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Blackvic1: 10:16am On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

The passage you read is not the ultimate rule for tithing. The first time tithe was mentioned was in....

Genesis 14:18-20 King James Version (KJV)
And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

As seen above, Abraham gave the tithe to the Priest of God. That's the foundation of tithing and it involved giving to the priest fo God.

Now, Deuteronomy 14 doesn't say you should go eat the tithe in God's house. It only says you should feast there which is from what the temple prepares from the collective tithes. Or can you eat a full cow in one sitting?

You even mentioned strong drink. Are you also to drink the gallon of oil mentioned in the same verse? Check my profile for a sermon on alcohol.
The prime reason for tithes in Israel was to support the priesthood and the services at the sanctuary, because neither the priests nor other members of the tribe of Levi were given a land inheritance of their own. Their main work was to look after the spiritual interests of fellow Israelites. In apostolic times Christian ministers were maintained on purely a voluntary principle and people offered their contributions voluntarily. Those who proclaimed the good news were to live by means of the good news. Today, however, many religious organizations of Christendom have ignored this Christian principle and the one that says: “You received free, give free,” and have required their members to tithe. “Emphasis on Christian tithing is rapidly developing as a main theme in the churches today in . There were occasions in the past when men were imprisoned, their goods seized and some were even shot dead, because they refused to pay tithes. Those who make such demands do so without Scriptural authority. God put an end to the Mosaic law when he nailed it to the tree. That means he put an end to the tithing law too. Paul said: Christians “are not under law but under undeserved kindness.the only thing Jesus commanded us to do is to love our neighbor and when you do that you will give freely the church today have deviated from the original meaning....all they preach about is giving to the church not even to the needy give to God like you can see God ....why is tithing so important to today’s churches if it doesn’t require money why are we so bent on monetary values in churches today ? Why are our pastors owing private jets and Mansions with investments everywhere if I am to give my tithe to any church our pastors must behave like levites that owns nothing not even a house a car a school a private jet nothing then I will pay my tithe wicked lying people in wolves clothing our pastors as like our Politicians birds of feathers

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Blackvic1: 10:21am On Oct 13, 2019
Amanda4life:

It is do e month because if you leave it till one year you may spend them and at the end of the day give less tithe which may result to curse
it is done monthly why did pastors change it ? Was it not a commandment by God always doing things to suite there selfish desires I am not surprised when the Bible said judgement will start in the house of God
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by dearie(m): 10:22am On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

There is a movement today which believes the tithe which they are to pay to God should be given to the widows, fatherless, orphans or the needy in general. This movement wants to give the tithe to the needy directly from their pocket without giving it to the Church. They even have a Bible passage to back it up. Let's examine it.

Deuteronomy 14:22-29 (KJV)
22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.
28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

As seen above, nowhere in the passage are people ordered to give the tithe directly to the needy. God only says the needy should not be forsaken. How does one forsake the needy in this case? You forsake the needy when you fail to tithe, not when you don't give it to them directly.

The tithe is used for different purposes in the house of God. A portion caters for the priests, a portion sees to the care of the house of God, another portion caters for the needy etc. All of these are supervised by God's priest. So when you tithe, the needy comes to the house of God and they are cared for from it.

The reason why the above passage says the tithe has to be taken to the place where God puts his name, i.e the House of God, is because it is from there the distribution to the purposes it serves is done.

Now, there are two kinds of people in the movement that want to give their tithe directly to the needy by themselves. It sound a like a great idea to give to the needy. But they are both wrong. One class is sincere but sincerely wrong, while the other is just being a thief.

An example of such movement is seen in the gospel passages talking about the woman with an alabaster of expensive ointment who poured it on Jesus to show appreciation for what he did for her.

When the disciples saw what she did, they felt awkward about it. They wondered why the expensive ointment wasn't sold and the money given to the poor. They were since but sincerely wrong.

Matthew 26:8-11 (KJV)
8 But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste?
9 For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor.

Now, what about the class that is wrong and also being a thief about it? That class has people with the mindset of Judas Iscariot. See what he said below and how the Bible described him and those who reason alike.

John 12:4-6 (KJV)
4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

Let me tell you something about many of those who love to say their tithe ought to be given to the poor directly by themselves without taking it to the Church. They are thieves. How do I know this? Just read on.

The Bible clearly states that the tithe belongs to God and he even said it has to be brought into his house as seen below.

Leviticus 27:30
And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD.

Malachi 3:10 (KJV)
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house,

Now, these people who go give it directly to the poor are simply robbing God. They are not to decide how God should spend what belongs to him. They are to pay it to the church and allow God and his priest decide how to spend it. But no, they think it is right the tithe is given to the poor and needy themselves.

Ask them what they did with their own 90 percent. They spent it all on themselves without caring for the poor out of it. But it is God's own money they now want to give to the poor. That's robbery. They are Judas Iscariot, because if they truly cared for the poor, they would have something from their own 90 percent to give to the poor and allow God enjoy his own 10 percent. They are like Judas who had the money bag but never gave to the poor from it but is eyeing the expensive oil spent on Jesus who is God.

Mathew 26:10-11
10 When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.
11 For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.

The moment you decide to neglect the word of God by giving the tithe to the needy yourself, you will get consumed by pride. There's this feeling you will get when you give it to the needy yourself. You will feel fulfilled, however, that's you feeling puffed up and consumed by pride because you did the desire of your heart, not what God ordered.

Guess what? You have taken God's glory because the people you gave it to will praise you and henceforth hold you in high-esteem. All of these belongs to God, but you have cornered it to yourself.

You used God's money to buy those things for yourself - that's another offence. You also prevent the needy from going to God's house to seek help where they will be exposed to his word. Now, it's your own house they will go to.

Guess what will happen to God's house? It will become empty because there will be no priest nor workers to run it because they are not getting paid and can't feed. They will go look for job elsewhere. The Church will become empty because the needy won't be there to fill it up and there won't be a priest to minister to them. Such a church will die. That is what Satan wants. He wants the church to be starved of funds so it will die and souls will continue to go to hell. You have foolishly aided the devil's dream because you chose to follow your heart and emotions instead of the word of God. Your way seemed right to you over the word of God.

What you have to do is pay the tithe to the house of God and never worry how it's spent. It's not your money, so why bother yourself about it? Also, make sure it is God's house you are paying the money to, not some crooked man running a business center and claiming it is a church. Pay the money into the bank God uses and it will get to him, not in the bank he doesn't use.

Next time, follow what the Bible says, not your heart which is prone to emotions. The thought of our hearts sometimes seems right but are wrong. Many of the tithe we pay are not always used to maintain the church. They are sent to jungles where missionary men are facing dangers to spread the gospel. Don't hinder God's work by disobeying his word and following your heart.

Thank you.

God bless you!
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by dearie(m): 10:23am On Oct 13, 2019
Alashoalash10:
I pray our churches will be like this, but in den of robbers the so called priests eats the money alone

Leave them to the actual owner of the Tithe to judge.
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Blackvic1: 10:25am On Oct 13, 2019
xpool:

[b]Your con and deception is offensive!
Nowhere in the Bible was man directed to pay tithe to the Church or synagogue. Bible said in a place God named.

Bible said you can merry with your family and the needy with your tithe and not the 90%.
Issue of tithe was only necessary for the Levite's, because they were fulltime temple priests and had no inheritance. The only ones close to that are only catholic Priests because they have no inheritance.

God never emphasized that tithe should be given to him, God said tithe should be brought to a place he named. The only places God named for tithe were the Levite's, House of God, The Needy, Your Family, and not the Synagogue or Church.
Levite's serve in the temple of Alter not synagogue and tithings was for the temple Alter not Churches. Levites are not conventional and evangelical priests, they are not pastors, evangelists, prophets, fathers, priests general overseers etc.

Tithe was never about money. Bible said crops and herds; agricultural harvests. The only time money was mentioned in tithing was when the tithe was too bulky and distant location, and Bible said convert to money and with it make marry with your family and needy .

Tithe is not money.

Christ said man was not made for the law, but the law for man.

Tithing seem obsolete, I am surprised that Nigerian Churches always preach tithing every week more than salvation.

God does not eat anything including tithe. Stop deceiving people.
Greedy people, buying helicopters and jets, building schools for only the bourgeoisie.
It was only once that Jesus Christ used horse, He did not even use Chariot

Greedy thieves![/b]
thank you very much he must be a pastor or benefiting from tithe that he’s so adamant on convincing people

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by openmine(m): 10:29am On Oct 13, 2019
I haven't stopped laughing at this thread.... grin grin
The barefaced lies intended to bend and manipulate an obviously explicit scripture fell flat on the face of the OP

Even more hilarious and preposterous is the stale and manipulated narrative that PASTORS are LEVITES!
This submission is not TRUE!
A levite is not a title or position but a tribe!
The scriptures show that you are to eat of your tithe but OP said its not for you but for the pastor of your church!
The scriptures instructs tithe payment every year for the tither consumption and a three year stipulation for the levite,need,homeless and strangers but the OP is saying its monthly with some baseless analogy!

My joy is that people are beginning to read and understand scriptures and no one will deceive them anymore!

3 Likes

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Ceoking6: 10:30am On Oct 13, 2019
Lokostic77:
my question is very simple and straightforward,,Did Jesus or any of his deciples pay tithe in the Bible?just point out to where the tithe was paid because I knew where Jesus paid tax but not tithe so plz show me the verse,as a Christian Jesus and his deciples is our examples of what we must do.plz I need answer to this question and back it with scripture then i will be satisfy don't ignore this question o,if you ignore it means you're hypocrite and you're benefiting from stealing people money in the name of tithe,God bless you
isn't it funny that Jesus was well documented to have prayed and given tax to ceazer but didn't for once pay tithe "even as a practising Jew himself" but we gentiles are now bigger than Jesus overnight.

By the way the doctrine we hear of paying tithe only because of the threat of been blocked off from God financially is so selfish and unchristlike for supposed Christ followers who told a richman to go empty himself

3 Likes

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Zigdore: 10:37am On Oct 13, 2019
1Sharon:
A God that created heaven and earth and EVERYTHING doesn't need paper money to function.

A God that requires payment to protect you shows he's not almighty and al powerful.

Stop being scammed by pastorpreneurs.

Very true. Pastorpreneurs is what we have these days. Many of them are scammers.
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by don4real18(m): 10:39am On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Agricultural produce are known to be harvested yearly in most cases, that's why tithing was done yearly. Today, people earn monthly, that's why they pay it monthly. You can chose to accumulate all the monthly tithe and pay it at the end of the year. What matters is you paying what belongs to God. But by the end of the year, the amount may appear too big to want to let go. So, it's advisable it is paid monthly when it appears small.

Yes, you are to feast and dine, but the passage never said you should feast on the exact tithe you brought. The feasting is what the temple prepared for everyone to eat. The bulls, sheep, corn, wheat etc are prepared and eaten by everyone after some have been stored and some sacrificed to God through burnt offering. Imagine you pay a tithe of a cow and bags of corn, can you feast on the whole of it in one sitting? The priest only takes a portion out of the many cows paid as tithe, slaughters it and everyone feasts. Same happens when your church holds yearly or quarterly feasts.

Not just any priest. They are Levites
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by perryy(m): 10:44am On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Agricultural produce are known to be harvested yearly in most cases, that's why tithing was done yearly. Today, people earn monthly, that's why they pay it monthly. You can chose to accumulate all the monthly tithe and pay it at the end of the year. What matters is you paying what belongs to God. But by the end of the year, the amount may appear too big to want to let go. So, it's advisable it is paid monthly when it appears small.

Only those in agriculture business were to tithe and tithe was meant to be paid in crops and animals and not in cash. The only condition tithe was to be paid in cash was when it was impossible to take the crops to the temple. Stop lying.

Again, no prophet doubled as a priest in the Bible. No matter how powerful a prophet is , he is not entitled to collect tithe except he is from the tribe of Levi and no record of a prophet from the tribe of Levi. So, it is wrong to double as a prophet and a priest.

Also, it is a taboo for a priest to possess land and all thier children are to be dedicated to the alter services without doing any other jobs. But today , Bishop children are medical Drs , multi bullion business men and women etc.

In the Bible, priesthood was hereditary and not declarative as it is being today. I can declare myself a prophet today and double as a priest collecting tithe from gullible Nigerians .

In the Hebrews 7, it was said that the priesthood has been changed. The priesthood which relied on the blood of animals for atonement of sins was not perfect, hence it abolition. Now that the priesthood has been changed , is it not also necessary for there to be a change of law ? In those days , the priests were the intercessors , so they were not allowed to do any other job other than staying in the synagogue to pray and offer sacrifices for themselves and on behalf of the people. But now, we have a more powerful intercessor in Jesus who offered himself once and for all. There is no need for the Levites anymore hence payment of tithe becomes a sin as it amounts to rejecting the sacrifice which Christ made with his death. Don't be fooled.

Mind you, the Lord Jesus never collected tithe , he never preached it and the desciples he sent out never collected a dime from anybody as tithe and they also never preached it. Even if tithing was compulsory in the old testament, are we practicing Judaism or Christianity? Since the founding fathers of Christianity never collected tithe , it becomes a misnomer for the modern days and self acclaimed pastors to collect tithe from their customers. .
Payment of tithe to another person other than a Levite is a sin and the person not a Levite but collecting tithe is a sinner. That is the reason nobody pays or collect tithe in Isreal today. Tithe must be paid in the temple ( central Temple), and only Levites who do no other job other than staying in the temple to offer sacrifices are to collect it. Since no such people exists in Isreal, nobody collects tithes , even the Rabis, are forbidden to collect tithe since they are not priests offering sacrifices . That u are a teacher of the word of God doesn't give you the power of a priest. A priest is from a given tribe . So, Ravi, pastors , prophet, Bishops Pope etc are not permitted to collect tithe.

Yes, you are to feast and dine, but the passage never said you should feast on the exact tithe you brought. The feasting is what the temple prepared for everyone to eat. The bulls, sheep, corn, wheat etc are prepared and eaten by everyone after some have been stored and some sacrificed to God through burnt offering. Imagine you pay a tithe of a cow and bags of corn, can you feast on the whole of it in one sitting? The priest only takes a portion out of the many cows paid as tithe, slaughters it and everyone feasts. Same happens when your church holds yearly or quarterly feasts.

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by phymat(m): 11:08am On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

may God bless u .......
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Adakintroy2: 11:09am On Oct 13, 2019
Forget what the Bible said..men wrote the bible. Just as men wrote constitutions. The bible was more or less the constitution of the isrealites. It can be repealed or amended whenever it strays from its intended ends.

So far the cry is not against tithes. It that the costodians of the tithes are using it for their own selfish ends. Less get it staight. Should a pastor be using church funds to finance personal estates? It's more like politicians using tax for their personAL confort. That's the crust of the arguments.

The revolution is don't worry. We will pay it ourselves to the needy as christ directed. If you do this to the least of my brethren you have done it unto me.

Thanks.
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by shadeyinka(m): 11:12am On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

There is a movement today which believes the tithe which they are to pay to God should be given to the widows, fatherless, orphans or the needy in general. This movement wants to give the tithe to the needy directly from their pocket without giving it to the Church. They even have a Bible passage to back it up. Let's examine it.

Thank you.

What/Where is the House of God?

Tithe couldn't be "paid" anywhere else (not in any synagogue) but in the Temple of God or if a special revelation as per where the Lord has placed His name for such.

The Temple of God isn't made with bricks

1Cor 6:19:
"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit in you, whom you have of God? And you are not your own,"

Let me tell you the Truth:
You want to give God your Tithe and Offerings check this out

Mat 25:35-40:
"For I was hungry , and you gave me food; I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger , and you took Me in; I was naked , and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison , and you came to Me. Then the righteous shall answer Him, saying, Lord, when did we see You hungry, and fed [You]? Or thirsty, and gave [You] drink? When did we see You a stranger, and took [You] in? Or naked, and clothed [You]? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and came to You? And the King shall answer and say to them, Truly I say to you, Inasmuch as you did [it] to one of the least of these My brothers, you have done [it] to Me."

There was a special reason why this scripture happened.
Mat 27:51:
"And, behold! The veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom . And the earth quaked, and the rocks were sheared,"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by seguno2: 11:18am On Oct 13, 2019
HerCuteness:

Don’t choose instead , choose both. Because unlike a charity, you’ll never find a more important mission (see #1) than the mission of the Church (See Acts 2). Social justice and sponsoring kids is vitally important, but if the Church was really doing its job, those charities would be overwhelmed with support and eventually not need to exist.

If the church is not doing anything for charities, what should a believer do, in such a situation
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by seguno2: 11:20am On Oct 13, 2019
shadeyinka:

Tithe couldn't be "paid" anywhere else (not in any synagogue) but in the Temple of God or if a special revelation as per where the Lord has placed His name for such.

"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit in you, whom you have of God? And you are not your own,"

"For I was hungry , and you gave me food; I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger , and you took Me in; I was naked , and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison , and you came to Me. Then the righteous shall answer Him, saying, Lord, when did we see You hungry, and fed [You]? Or thirsty, and gave [You] drink? When did we see You a stranger, and took [You] in? Or naked, and clothed [You]? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and came to You? And the King shall answer and say to them, Truly I say to you, Inasmuch as you did [it] to one of the least of these My brothers, you have done [it] to Me."

"And, behold! The veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom . And the earth quaked, and the rocks were sheared,"

May God bless you richly with more wisdom.
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by alBHAGDADI: 11:20am On Oct 13, 2019
shadeyinka:

Now, where in the above Mathew 25 is it stated that it is the tithe we should give directly to the mentioned people? Nowhere. Guess what? We still fulfill the words of Jesus in obedience when we give the tithe to the church which in turns give a portion to the needy.

We are commanded to pay tithe to the house of God. Nowhere are we commanded to pay it to the needy ourselves. The verse you quoted in Mathew 25 is not tithing but freewill giving and helping the needy.

Now, just because the temple got demolished doesn't mean God doesn't own buildings anymore. He still does as stated by Apostle Paul.

1 Timothy 3:15
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by oskobi: 11:22am On Oct 13, 2019
please give a New testament reference that talked about tithe and where to take it to. Because all the event of the old testament was prophesy of the coming of Christ. Now after the death and resurrection of christ, give a reference in the new testament that outline tithe as given in leviticus in the old testament. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by benji93: 11:23am On Oct 13, 2019
What are you writing Man? Verse 23 clearly says: the tithe of thine corn, wine and oil, yet you opine that the passage does not say that the eating and drinking should be from your tithe, but what was prepared by the church. Unless you are arguing that verses 24, 25 e.t.c are not connected to verse 23.
alBHAGDADI:

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by ibechris(m): 11:29am On Oct 13, 2019
Preach less on tithes and let us talk about heaven and salvation. I will make heaven whether I pay tithe or not. Just be deceiving yourself with giving tithes to these men of God whose heart are darkened and wicked. Whose only focus in God's work is tithe and prosperity.

U can't never see them talk about heaven and hell. Because they all know that their heart is far from God. Nigerian pastors that move around the country with convoy and being guarded with beastly looking mopols.

Check any where in the country where there are crises,they will run leaving only Anglican and Catholic priests in such isolated areas. Go to Borno and see what am saying.

Without much ado,when u see these fake men of God,u will know them.

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by MrSix: 11:29am On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Deuteronomy 14:22-29 (KJV)
22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.
28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

As seen above, nowhere in the passage are people ordered to give the tithe directly to the needy. God only says the needy should not be forsaken. How does one forsake the needy in this case? You forsake the needy when you fail to tithe, not when you don't give it to them directly.

The tithe is used for different purposes in the house of God. A portion caters for the priests, a portion sees to the care of the house of God, another portion caters for the needy etc. All of these are supervised by God's priest. So when you tithe, the needy comes to the house of God and they are cared for from it.

The reason why the above passage says the tithe has to be taken to the place where God puts his name, i.e the House of God, is because it is from there the distribution to the purposes it serves is done.

Now, there are two kinds of people in the movement that want to give their tithe directly to the needy by themselves. It sound a like a great idea to give to the needy. But they are both wrong. One class is sincere but sincerely wrong, while the other is just being a thief.

An example of such movement is seen in the gospel passages talking about the woman with an alabaster of expensive ointment who poured it on Jesus to show appreciation for what he did for her.

When the disciples saw what she did, they felt awkward about it. They wondered why the expensive ointment wasn't sold and the money given to the poor. They were since but sincerely wrong.

Matthew 26:8-11 (KJV)
8 But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste?
9 For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor.

Now, what about the class that is wrong and also being a thief about it? That class has people with the mindset of Judas Iscariot. See what he said below and how the Bible described him and those who reason alike.

John 12:4-6 (KJV)
4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

Let me tell you something about many of those who love to say their tithe ought to be given to the poor directly by themselves without taking it to the Church. They are thieves. How do I know this? Just read on.

The Bible clearly states that the tithe belongs to God and he even said it has to be brought into his house as seen below.

Leviticus 27:30
And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD.

Malachi 3:10 (KJV)
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house,

Now, these people who go give it directly to the poor are simply robbing God. They are not to decide how God should spend what belongs to him. They are to pay it to the church and allow God and his priest decide how to spend it. But no, they think it is right the tithe is given to the poor and needy themselves.

Ask them what they did with their own 90 percent. They spent it all on themselves without caring for the poor out of it. But it is God's own money they now want to give to the poor. That's robbery. They are Judas Iscariot, because if they truly cared for the poor, they would have something from their own 90 percent to give to the poor and allow God enjoy his own 10 percent. They are like Judas who had the money bag but never gave to the poor from it but is eyeing the expensive oil spent on Jesus who is God.

Mathew 26:10-11
10 When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.
11 For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.

The moment you decide to neglect the word of God by giving the tithe to the needy yourself, you will get consumed by pride. There's this feeling you will get when you give it to the needy yourself. You will feel fulfilled, however, that's you feeling puffed up and consumed by pride because you did the desire of your heart, not what God ordered.

Guess what? You have taken God's glory because the people you gave it to will praise you and henceforth hold you in high-esteem. All of these belongs to God, but you have cornered it to yourself.

You used God's money to buy those things for yourself - that's another offence. You also prevent the needy from going to God's house to seek help where they will be exposed to his word. Now, it's your own house they will go to.

Guess what will happen to God's house? It will become empty because there will be no priest nor workers to run it because they are not getting paid and can't feed. They will go look for job elsewhere. The Church will become empty because the needy won't be there to fill it up and there won't be a priest to minister to them. Such a church will die. That is what Satan wants. He wants the church to be starved of funds so it will die and souls will continue to go to hell. You have foolishly aided the devil's dream because you chose to follow your heart and emotions instead of the word of God. Your way seemed right to you over the word of God.

What you have to do is pay the tithe to the house of God and never worry how it's spent. It's not your money, so why bother yourself about it? Also, make sure it is God's house you are paying the money to, not some crooked man running a business center and claiming it is a church. Pay the money into the bank God uses and it will get to him, not in the bank he doesn't use.

Next time, follow what the Bible says, not your heart which is prone to emotions. The thought of our hearts sometimes seems right but are wrong. Many of the tithe we pay are not always used to maintain the church. They are sent to jungles where missionary men are facing dangers to spread the gospel. Don't hinder God's work by disobeying his word and following your heart.

Thank you.

You're just worried about God like you're his assistant. He can do the worrying himself.
You're concerned about the house of God possibly getting empty? Kidding me? You didn't quote the part Jesus at the Well said a time will come and is, that true worshippers wouldn't need a place of worship but would worship in spirit and truth. This happened as Jesus laid to rest the institutionalized way of worshipping through a Priest. Now you can go through yourself to Jesus straight as the high Priest.

Why take this part of the Bible and leave the other at Bay? In essence, you don't need an institution to give tithe. And the purpose of the gospel isn't for organizational buildings to be set up for people to worship but for making the world a better place. If the world is a better place, who'd need building called church? That's what you're afraid of? Lols. Most people go to church because they find an indoctrinating imposition to do so or they are in need of something. Just few go there to actually working God.

There are many things from your write-up that followed which is on "motive." But there are many other things that didn't add up.

Let me ask you. How'd the church help in an emergency road accident you saw on the way to church with your tithe knowing fully well your church can't respond to it immediately and you're in position to help with the money?

Happy Sunday

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Originalsly: 11:31am On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

You forsake the needy when you fail to tithe, not when you don't give it to them directly.

The tithe is used for different purposes in the house of God.

A portion caters for the priests,

a portion sees to the care of the house of God,

another portion caters for the needy etc.

All of these are supervised by God's priest.

So when you tithe, the needy comes to the house of God and they are cared for

Just breaking down your comment on Deut 14:22-29. Help me understand.... who were these directives given to? ... and who are the Levites in our society? Regardless... if we want to follow the purpose of tithes... it is as stated... first for the enjoyment of the tither..... and in his 'feast'... it was specifically stated the 'Levites'... those without inheritance... the poor... the orphans...the homeless....must be included and catered for. Were the priest included here?... they are not a priority. And where did the church building feature in tithes? Does the priest in charge ...as you say... does he take care of the needs of the poor?..or is it he puts himself first?.... even above the tither? Does the tither or the priest enjoy the tithes?
The priest can't be enjoying my tithes more than I.... nor the poor. I will enjoy my tithes.... give directly to the poor for their enjoyment... and give the priest crumbs to humbly go about doing what he should be doing. There is no defending priests/pastors that do not distribute the bulk of the tithes to the poor.... and no defending collecting tithes from the poor.

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by HerCuteness(f): 11:34am On Oct 13, 2019
bskyb:

This is very refreshing to read. It's well written and your points are well harnessed.
It's really nice to see a submission of this quality on Nairaland. Kudos to you and please, keep it up
thanks, i wish i could claim it as mine, just sharing

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by HerCuteness(f): 11:35am On Oct 13, 2019
seguno2:

If the church is not doing anything for charities, what should a believer do, in such a situation
That's where my 3rd point comes in. Read the number three again

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by alBHAGDADI: 11:46am On Oct 13, 2019
seunmsg:

Show us where Paul, Peter or any of the apostles paid tithe or even preached about it.

First show me where they took their bath and brushed their teeth.

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by alBHAGDADI: 11:48am On Oct 13, 2019
seunmsg:

Stop lying. Abraham didn’t pay a tithe of all he got. He paid a tenth of his war loots and not of his personal belongings. It was also a one off tithe as he never paid again from his personal belongings.

The war loot, did it not become his? Didn't he pay a tithe from it?

Oh, it was a one off thing? Are you expecting the Buble to be all about the amount of times Abraham paid tithe?
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by alBHAGDADI: 11:53am On Oct 13, 2019
sshyne:

It clearly shows how you have being deceived. Why not read from Matthew 23:1. Don't just cherry pick. The Pharisees were the law keepers and the covenant with God through Jesus Christ hasn't being established. Just show me a place where Christians paid tithe in the Bible. I'm just tired of having this same conversation with you. Your motive is just too put your sheeples in check so you can milk then dry. Just know you are under a curse if you rely on the law to be made right with God, I didn't say it Paul did.

Galatians 3:9-14
9So all who put their faith in Christ share the same blessing Abraham received because of his faith.

10But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, “Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law.”d 11So it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep the law. For the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.”e 12This way of faith is very different from the way of law, which says, “It is through obeying the law that a person has life.”f

13But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.”g 14Through Christ Jesus, God has blessed the Gentiles with the same blessing he promised to Abraham, so that we who are believers might receive the promisedh Holy Spirit through fa

You read the Bible but you don't understand it. So we are no longer under the law, right? Why not go and have sex with your mother which is against one of those old testament laws. Why not sleep with your daughter.

Look, when Paul said we are no longer in the under the law, he simply meant we are not depending on the law for salvation. This doesn't mean the law has been discarded, which is why it is still a sin to sleep with one's next of kin. We obey the law to be right with God.
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by alBHAGDADI: 11:54am On Oct 13, 2019
dazzlingd:

And in all he paid according to the story, money was not involved.... Stop scamming people

Mugu, what were the things included in the ALL he paid? You can't mention them, yet you have the boldness to exclude money from the ALL.

Your mumu never do. grin
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by alBHAGDADI: 11:55am On Oct 13, 2019
Alashoalash10:
I pray our churches will be like this, but in den of robbers the so called priests eats the money alone

Flee from such church. Go to a Baptist Church.
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Nigeriahomebiz(m): 11:57am On Oct 13, 2019
Ornament2003:

That's a gullible approach.

That's what's killing the Church.

It's like a pastor sleeping with church members, and instead of rebuking him, you're saying leave him for God to judge. That's a lazy thought.

Why laying more emphasis on tithe payment; and look the other way when it comes to accountability!

Then leave non-tithe payers to God. And stop disturbing people about the arguments on tithe.

Your wisdom is undisputed.

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Nigeriahomebiz(m): 12:00pm On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Mugu, what were the things included in the ALL he paid? You can't mention them, yet you have the boldness to exclude money from the ALL.

Your mumu never do. grin

Remember to keep the sabbath day holy, if not for being well mannered at least today being Sunday. You quoted scripture earlier, now you resort to insults against someone who disagrees with you. How do you reconcile both?

2 Likes

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Youngzedd(m): 12:01pm On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Yes, you are to feast and dine, but the passage never said you should feast on the exact tithe you brought. The feasting is what the temple prepared for everyone to eat. The bulls, sheep, corn, wheat etc are prepared and eaten by everyone after some have been stored and some sacrificed to God through burnt offering. Imagine you pay a tithe of a cow and bags of corn, can you feast on the whole of it in one sitting? [b]The priest only takes a portion out of the many cows paid as tithe, slaughters it and everyone feasts.[b
/b] Same happens when your church holds yearly or quarterly feasts.

Why are they not burning the money as it was done in the old?

Church feast people will be made to donate money, the church don't bring money from tithe for this feast, it's the people that donate.

Tithing isn't for Christians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by alBHAGDADI: 12:03pm On Oct 13, 2019
BluntBoy:

Do you know that the tithing law was tied to the Promised Land which is why tithes were purely land-based, and money wasn't even encouraged. If you had to redeem your tithes with money, there was a slight burden.

Why didn't carpenters, fishermen, and others pay tithes?

Was there no money in those days, even in the days of Jesus Christ? And yet Jesus Christ hinted tithes to be land-based agricultural products.

There were a lot of fishermen in those days, and yet nowhere was it mentioned that Jesus Christ (a carpenter) or his disciples (fishermen, tax collector, zealot and others) paid tithes.

Go and read Genesis 14 to see that Tithing existed as ALL THINGS long before God even promised Abraham the land of Israel.

Why is it not written that the mentioned professions didn't pay tithe? Where is it written that it was only farmers that paid tithe?

Look, it wasn't only agricultural produce that Jesus label as tithe alone. He also stated that tithe can be paid from all you possess which can include money. Remember the parable of the Pharisee who boasted that he pays tithe from all that he possess. Jesus didn't condemn him for paying tithe in that manner. Rather, he condemned him for something else.

Luke 18:12
I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

You can't expect Jesus who is God to pay tithe. Secondly, just because it wasn't recorded that the Apostles paid tithe doesn't mean it never happened. Lastly, where is it mentioned that farmers paid tithe?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

An Owl "Killed" By Bishop Sam Zuga's World Wonders Water / "Yayi Yayi Jesus Yayi": Who Knows The Lyrics Of This Christian Song? / The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.