Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says (31427 Views)

Is It Proper To Give Your Tithe To The Needy? / Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? / I Just Gave My Tithe To A Beggar. Was I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by dallyemmy: 1:23pm On Oct 13, 2019
Give to God and give to the needy
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by sykeng(m): 1:23pm On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Read Genesis 14 which is the first mention of tithe, you will see that Abraham tithed of ALL. This could include money and can't be excluding of money. So, clearly, tithing had included money long before it included agricultural produce.

So a full time pastor should starve to death? grin

Tithing is never a prerequisite to salvation. It is of reward.

Abraham gave him tenth of everything he got from the war, before he entered that war he made a promise to God and he kept it. The kind gesture even surprised the king/ priest. That's means it was never a law in the land. Full time pastor? Is because they are full time that is the reason they prey on gullible minds, they carve out strategies to survive. If I may ask, how did Christ and his disciples survived?
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by drakeli: 1:28pm On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

There is a movement today which believes the tithe which they are to pay to God should be given to the widows, fatherless, orphans or the needy in general. This movement wants to give the tithe to the needy directly from their pocket without giving it to the Church. They even have a Bible passage to back it up. Let's examine it.
u.

Why does the Bible specifically talk about tithing agricultural produce and not money like coins, silver and gold?

Do you want to tell me that everyone was a farmer and there were no people in the Bible earning their living through rendering of services in exchange for money: coins, gold and silver ? Or even some of those farmers were not rendering services in exchange for silver and gold whenever the opportunity did rise? What happened to the silver and gold and money? The Israelites that made their living through making of water vessels, sandals, clothing materials, building tents, boats, physicians, etc. All these people existed rendering services for money when God asked Jews to bring tithe of produce alone and not from money. Technically, the Israelites rendering services for money and that did not cultivate the land were exempted.

I would like you to come and lie to me that there were no people in the Old Testament exchanging services for silver and gold.

All the verses you quoted about people not giving their tithe to the poor were not addressing tithe in the first place. That’s a twisting of the Bible to support your point. Tithing is one of the many Old Testament commandments. I’m surprised how other commandments are totally forgotten while we pick out only tithing to enforce because of the love of money.

I advocate giving to the church. You can never over give. Jesus asks us to give to the church but not in the name of tithe.

4 Likes

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Austinio: 1:41pm On Oct 13, 2019
is their any man of God in bible, that was rich or wealthy like today's pastor.

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Chrisoris: 1:43pm On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

There is a movement today which believes the tithe which they are to pay to God should be given to the widows, fatherless, orphans or the needy in general. This movement wants to give the tithe to the needy directly from their pocket without giving it to the Church. They even have a Bible passage to back it up. Let's examine it.

Deuteronomy 14:22-29 (KJV)
22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.
28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

As seen above, nowhere in the passage are people ordered to give the tithe directly to the needy. God only says the needy should not be forsaken. How does one forsake the needy in this case? You forsake the needy when you fail to tithe, not when you don't give it to them directly.

The tithe is used for different purposes in the house of God. A portion caters for the priests, a portion sees to the care of the house of God, another portion caters for the needy etc. All of these are supervised by God's priest. So when you tithe, the needy comes to the house of God and they are cared for from it.

The reason why the above passage says the tithe has to be taken to the place where God puts his name, i.e the House of God, is because it is from there the distribution to the purposes it serves is done.

Now, there are two kinds of people in the movement that want to give their tithe directly to the needy by themselves. It sound a like a great idea to give to the needy. But they are both wrong. One class is sincere but sincerely wrong, while the other is just being a thief.

An example of such movement is seen in the gospel passages talking about the woman with an alabaster of expensive ointment who poured it on Jesus to show appreciation for what he did for her.

When the disciples saw what she did, they felt awkward about it. They wondered why the expensive ointment wasn't sold and the money given to the poor. They were since but sincerely wrong.

Matthew 26:8-11 (KJV)
8 But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste?
9 For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor.

Now, what about the class that is wrong and also being a thief about it? That class has people with the mindset of Judas Iscariot. See what he said below and how the Bible described him and those who reason alike.

John 12:4-6 (KJV)
4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

Let me tell you something about many of those who love to say their tithe ought to be given to the poor directly by themselves without taking it to the Church. They are thieves. How do I know this? Just read on.

The Bible clearly states that the tithe belongs to God and he even said it has to be brought into his house as seen below.

Leviticus 27:30
And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD.

Malachi 3:10 (KJV)
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house,

Now, these people who go give it directly to the poor are simply robbing God. They are not to decide how God should spend what belongs to him. They are to pay it to the church and allow God and his priest decide how to spend it. But no, they think it is right the tithe is given to the poor and needy themselves.

Ask them what they did with their own 90 percent. They spent it all on themselves without caring for the poor out of it. But it is God's own money they now want to give to the poor. That's robbery. They are Judas Iscariot, because if they truly cared for the poor, they would have something from their own 90 percent to give to the poor and allow God enjoy his own 10 percent. They are like Judas who had the money bag but never gave to the poor from it but is eyeing the expensive oil spent on Jesus who is God.

Mathew 26:10-11
10 When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.
11 For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.

The moment you decide to neglect the word of God by giving the tithe to the needy yourself, you will get consumed by pride. There's this feeling you will get when you give it to the needy yourself. You will feel fulfilled, however, that's you feeling puffed up and consumed by pride because you did the desire of your heart, not what God ordered.

Guess what? You have taken God's glory because the people you gave it to will praise you and henceforth hold you in high-esteem. All of these belongs to God, but you have cornered it to yourself.

You used God's money to buy those things for yourself - that's another offence. You also prevent the needy from going to God's house to seek help where they will be exposed to his word. Now, it's your own house they will go to.

Guess what will happen to God's house? It will become empty because there will be no priest nor workers to run it because they are not getting paid and can't feed. They will go look for job elsewhere. The Church will become empty because the needy won't be there to fill it up and there won't be a priest to minister to them. Such a church will die. That is what Satan wants. He wants the church to be starved of funds so it will die and souls will continue to go to hell. You have foolishly aided the devil's dream because you chose to follow your heart and emotions instead of the word of God. Your way seemed right to you over the word of God.

What you have to do is pay the tithe to the house of God and never worry how it's spent. It's not your money, so why bother yourself about it? Also, make sure it is God's house you are paying the money to, not some crooked man running a business center and claiming it is a church. Pay the money into the bank God uses and it will get to him, not in the bank he doesn't use.

Next time, follow what the Bible says, not your heart which is prone to emotions. The thought of our hearts sometimes seems right but are wrong. Many of the tithe we pay are not always used to maintain the church. They are sent to jungles where missionary men are facing dangers to spread the gospel. Don't hinder God's work by disobeying his word and following your heart.

Thank you.

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by MrSix: 1:51pm On Oct 13, 2019
Thisis2raw:
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house

That a clear direction, bring it to my house. Not to give to a begger at the road.
Tho the act of giving to the poor can't be overemphasized, that why Jesus said give and it shall be given upon to
Someone would just set up an institution and you'd call it God's house.

The only recognized house was in Jerusalem and is your body. Any other house is not scriptural.
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by alBHAGDADI: 1:57pm On Oct 13, 2019
sykeng:

Abraham gave him tenth of everything he got from the war, before he entered that war he made a promise to God and he kept it. The kind gesture even surprised the king/ priest. That's means it was never a law in the land. Full time pastor? Is because they are full time that is the reason they prey on gullible minds, they carve out strategies to survive. If I may ask, how did Christ and his disciples survived?

How did Christ and his disciples get the money kept with Judas Iscariot?
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Onyxqueen: 2:02pm On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

God's house is the church.

1 Timothy 3:15
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth

Please dear, don't argue too much on this. Just obey God.

The house of God is not a worldly structure but our hearts! That's where God resides. You and I are the house of God!
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by shadeyinka(m): 2:04pm On Oct 13, 2019
Why is it that tithes proponents don't teach
Deut 12:21:
"If the place which the LORD thy God hath chosen to put his name there be too far from thee, then thou shalt kill of thy herd and of thy flock, which the LORD hath given thee, as I have commanded thee, and thou shalt eat in thy gates whatsoever thy soul lusteth after."

Choir members should be partakers of tithes but tell me one church that take care of choir members from tithe money!

alBHAGDADI:

Shadeyinka, is this really you? I thought you were versed in the scriptures. Alas, I was wrong.

Are you looking for a verse that says tithing is money? Have you checked the ones below?

Genesis 14:20 (KJV)
And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all

Luke 18:12
I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

The first time tithe was mentioned in the Bible, we see Abraham giving a tithe of ALL. You have no right to exclude money from the word ALL.

Secondly, the Pharisee in the parable by Jesus paid tithe of ALL he possessed. Once again, you can't exclude money from the ALL. Jesus didn't even condemn that style of tithe which is exactly what Abraham did. He only condemned him for something else. Mind you, Deutoronomy 14 isn't the first time tithe was mentioned. So don't think tithe is all about agricultural produce alone. Tithe is from all we possess and all means all, and all is all what all means.

There are certain laws that got changed specifically in the new Testament. Examples are eating pork, touching unclean things. Those got changed. But you've mistaken it to mean the law has been garbaged. Then go sleep with your mother as against the law.

Are you truly Shadeyinka or someone else? You are asking if Jesus paid tithes. Are you expecting God to pay tithe?

His disciples were not recorded to pay tithe. Guess what? They were also not recorded not to pay tithe.
Usually, I don't argue on this kind of doctrinal issue and the only thing that brought me in was someone equating Pastors to Levites. That is completely wrong.

Secondly, tithes were the inheritance of Levites because they were not given any other inheritance among the children of Israel. The other category of the beneficiaries of tithes are the widow's, orphans etc. Checking at the way all our churches spend the tithes (my denomination inclusive), tithes isn't used exclusively for this purpose. I think the primary beneficiaries (the pastors) should totally enforce the use.

Third, there are three kinds of laws in the old testament
1. The moral laws
2. The ceremonial/religious laws
3. The cleanliness laws

The moral laws lead to sin, iniquity or transgression when broken whether then or now. The other two kind of laws may be excused ONLY in the new testament because we are not under the law.

Under what class does the tithe law fall in.

My Final Stance:
It is very valid for a Christian to pay tithes religiously as an act of worship and appreciation to God
BUT
He who doesn't has not committed a sin and it isn't a requirement for salvation nor being right with God.

The more weightier matters of the Faith include
1. Love for God and fellow human being
2. Building up the Believers with our spiritual gifts and talents.
3. Winning souls for God in Evangelism.
And of the Law:
1.Fairness in Judgement
2. Mercy and Forgiveness to our offender
3. Faith to God and His word

But who cares about these as long as money is coming into the treasury!

3 Likes

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Onyxqueen: 2:04pm On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

A classic example was when Jesus asked his disciples to go fishing and guess what, they found money inside the mouth of the fish that they caught!

2 Likes

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by alBHAGDADI: 2:12pm On Oct 13, 2019
Ceoking6:
Their is no relevant documentary of Jesus life that wasnt recorded in the bible.

It was for a reason, from the event in his birth, to going to temple to study as a child, to baptism, to paying tax, to praying, to going to the synagogue to read the Torah as the fulfiller of scriptures etc.

He did everything and they were majorly recorded just to show God becoming man and fulfilling the relevant order of life and spirit

Christ didn't question the tither then because it was ideally the thither obligation to God as a Jew not for "gentile" and he hadn't not died to reconcile the sacrificial law and priestly intersession

Please be guarded that it is an everlasting covenant only for Jews to the levite even after new testament.

The only difference for Jews today is the sacrificial burnt offering is now a mere ceremonial stuff for them cos of Christ.

Their salvation doesn't come from it, so not a do or die issue for Jews again

But Gentiles have no need for it prior to Christ coming or even now

You said every relevant thing about Jesus are what were documented. That means if it was no longer for tithe to be paid, it would have been documented showing him kicking against it. But since tithe was to be continued, Mathew 23:23 shows him approving it.
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by llade(m): 2:13pm On Oct 13, 2019
Youngzedd:
UNDERSTANDING TITHING

I don't like talking about this topic, but this pulpit ..... are very serious these days, destroying the finished work of Christ and limiting the death of Christ to certain monetary percentage thereby making mockery of our faith.

Abraham NEVER paid tithe. He gave out 10% of war loot and that CANNOT be called tithe. He later returned everything to those who He collected them from. Abraham didn't pay from his income.

It was never called tithe, if it was tithe, Abraham would have paid from his income and regularly. Tithe only exist in the law which is now weak and useless as stated in the book of Hebrews 7:18-19 and the TRUE percentage of all the three types of tithe is about 23% as stated in the book of law. 10% is not the full tithe, there are other two types of tithe they don't tell you about. How will you know when you don't read the scriptures? � �

Ask your Pastors or Priests why they don't tell you about the other two types of tithing.

Wisper: It's because it doesn't enter their pocket and you will decode their lies easily about the one they have been collecting �. Humans are selfish in nature. Yeah! Your Pastor or Priest is selfish and I can prove it biblically.

Proof:
The three different types of tithe are as follows:

1) The Levitical, or sacred tithe (Num. 18: 21-24).
21 “I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the tent of meeting. 22 From now on the Israelites must not go near the tent of meeting, or they will bear the consequences of their sin and will die. 23 It is the Levites who are to do the work at the tent of meeting and bear the responsibility for any offenses they commit against it. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come. They will receive no inheritance among the Israelites. 24 Instead, I give to the Levites as their inheritance the tithes that the Israelites present as an offering to the Lord. That is why I said concerning them: ‘They will have no inheritance among the Israelites.’”
Note: This tithe is strictly for the Levites, descendants of Jacob’s son Levi. Your Pastor/Priest isn't a Levite, He's not even a Jew. Hebrews 7:5 stated that Levites are the ones who collect tithe. Read Exodus 32:25-29 to see how faithful and committed the Levites were and what truly got them the position they occupied. If you study the laws in the old testament, you will discover that laws are all strict instructions and if you fail to obey it, you pay dearly, sometimes with blood which maybe yours.

2) The tithe of the feasts (Deut. 14:22-27).
22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

3) The tithe for the poor (Deut. 14:28-29).
28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

Do you know that choir members, gatekeepers and others who work in any service unit are to eat from the tithe?

Nehemiah 13:4-13
4 Before this, Eliashib the priest had been put in charge of the storerooms of the house of our God. He was closely associated with Tobiah, 5 and he had provided him with a large room formerly used to store the grain offerings and incense and temple articles, and also the tithes of grain, new wine and olive oil prescribed for the Levites, musicians and gatekeepers, as well as the contributions for the priests.

6 But while all this was going on, I was not in Jerusalem, for in the thirty-second year of Artaxerxes king of Babylon I had returned to the king. Some time later I asked his permission 7 and came back to Jerusalem. Here I learned about the evil thing Eliashib had done in providing Tobiah a room in the courts of the house of God. 8 I was greatly displeased and threw all Tobiah’s household goods out of the room. 9 I gave orders to purify the rooms, and then I put back into them the equipment of the house of God, with the grain offerings and the incense.

10 I also learned that the portions assigned to the Levites had not been given to them, and that all the Levites and musicians responsible for the service had gone back to their own fields. 11 So I rebuked the officials and asked them, “Why is the house of God neglected?” Then I called them together and stationed them at their posts.

12 All Judah brought the tithes of grain, new wine and olive oil into the storerooms. 13 I put Shelemiah the priest, Zadok the scribe, and a Levite named Pedaiah in charge of the storerooms and made Hanan son of Zakkur, the son of Mattaniah, their assistant, because they were considered trustworthy. They were made responsible for distributing the supplies to their fellow Levites.

If Christ is our high priest and He never collected or asked anyone to pay tithe, this simply means Christians aren't suppose to pay tithe. Only Jews who practice Judaism whom the Levites are still their high priest are to pay tithe. Read the whole of Hebrews 7 to fully understand this.

They don't like using Deuteronomy and Numbers to teach you because you will see the conditions which they don't qualify for, they prefer Malachi because it doesn't have full details. Hence tithing is concern, Malachi is pointing back to Numbers, just like a news headline of an article while Deuteronomy and Numbers is the full content.

Don't forget that deuteronomy and numbers come before Malachi.

What Abraham did was never called TITHE and it happened only once. Tithe works only for the receiver. Imagine if you're the Pastor/Priest receiving tithes from thousands of gullible people, won't it work for you?

Worshipers of Mammon want to limit God's grace and finished work to 10%. Majority of people of China �� you hear about aren't Christians, if tithe work the way they claim it does, Nigeria should be better than China.
Only about 1% of China population are Christians. Dubai you rush to enter, do the Arab people who turned a desert into a paradise pay tithe?

The people of the world poverty capital are gullible and should be awarded as world most gullible country.

If any preacher needs money, let him tell us and we will willingly do donation not using the Bible to scam the followers. If the preachers use the strength they use in preaching about tithe to teach the people how to live a moral upright life, Nigeria with all her resources would have been one of the best countries in the world.

Galatians 3 vs 10

For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”

Hebrews 7:18-19

18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19 (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

Hebrew 8 vs 13 (NIV)

"By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear."

Galatians 2 vs 19 - 21

19 “For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

Tithing is Judaism practice, not for Christians.
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by xpool(m): 2:17pm On Oct 13, 2019
jesusjnr:
It's really strange to be honest with you. I just can't believe the extent to which they would go to discourage people from giving to the needy, yet they are supposed to represent Christ who stressed that so much.

God help us.
If you know the length the Missionaries went to take Christianity to every corner, some of the early missionaries spent their father's money to build Churches and schools free for the poor children of the places they traveled to.
Today, Nigerian Pastors hustle to be posted to wealthy Church branches, changing suits and cars.

2 Likes

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by sacx: 2:22pm On Oct 13, 2019
This issue has been over flogged. In the new testament, all believers are Priests, so it's unlawful for one Priest to pay tithe to another.

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by sshyne(m): 2:28pm On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

You read the Bible but you don't understand it. So we are no longer under the law, right? Why not go and have sex with your mother which is against one of those old testament laws. Why not sleep with your daughter.

Look, when Paul said we are no longer in the under the law, he simply meant we are not depending on the law for salvation. This doesn't mean the law has been discarded, which is why it is still a sin to sleep with one's next of kin. We obey the law to be right with God.

You see how dumb you sound? Read what you wrote and tell me if you make any sense. Even my baby sister thinks better than this.

You are contradicting yourself, since you know the law as being discarded then why are you still paying and collecting tithe or is tithing not of law? Read my post again. If you don't observe all the law you are cursed. But you thieves decided to pick the one that suites your evil and worldly desire and leave the other ones.

You are all bunch of thieves

2 Likes

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Martartins(m): 2:29pm On Oct 13, 2019
I guess this logic no longer applies in the 21st century.

Pastors are no longer poor like the Levites and churches no longer organise programs for the needy.

So who are you paying the tithes to?

You already support the ministry with your offering. The only time you should bring out your money again should be when there is a special building or capacity building program in the church.

1 Like

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Metobime(m): 2:35pm On Oct 13, 2019
The Bible mention four(4) category of beneficiaries :
1. Widow
2. Fatherless (Orphan)
3. Strangers
4. The Levites ( Pastors)

The Bible say we should give our tithe to these beneficiaries in whatever form; grains, wine or STRONG WINE hmmm:

My question now is since we are not allowed to administer the tithe to these beneficiaries, who the Bible say should administer the tithe?
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by nwanyionitsha: 2:46pm On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Agricultural produce are known to be harvested yearly in most cases, that's why tithing was done yearly. Today, people earn monthly, that's why they pay it monthly. You can chose to accumulate all the monthly tithe and pay it at the end of the year. What matters is you paying what belongs to God. But by the end of the year, the amount may appear too big to want to let go. So, it's advisable it is paid monthly when it appears small.

Yes, you are to feast and dine, but the passage never said you should feast on the exact tithe you brought. The feasting is what the temple prepared for everyone to eat. The bulls, sheep, corn, wheat etc are prepared and eaten by everyone after some have been stored and some sacrificed to God through burnt offering. Imagine you pay a tithe of a cow and bags of corn, can you feast on the whole of it in one sitting? The priest only takes a portion out of the many cows paid as tithe, slaughters it and everyone feasts. Same happens when your church holds yearly or quarterly feasts.

How com the present day Jews and Israelites don't pay tithe?
How come Jesus and the apostles never paid tithe?
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by nwanyionitsha: 2:48pm On Oct 13, 2019
Martartins:
I guess this logic no longer applies in the 21st century.

Pastors are no longer poor like the Levites and churches no longer organise programs for the needy.

So who are you paying the tithes to?

You already support the ministry with your offering. The only time you should bring out your money again should be when there is a special building or capacity building program in the church.
The pastors even have properties and businesses.
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by sweetilicious(f): 3:16pm On Oct 13, 2019
HerCuteness:
I particularly learned a lot from this, this , this, this and Google. I would encourage you to do your own exploration and learn, pray about and consider the purpose and importance of tithing.
But what gets me about your question is the word
instead . Maybe I’m splitting hairs, but I get a vibe that you don’t see the value in your church getting your money. You’re not asking about splitting 10 percent between your church and a charity, you said instead .
So for learning purposes, let’s shelve the whole tithing, biblical mandate thing and, for now, treat your particular church as another charity. Let’s think about some big-picture questions that people tend to ask when deciding if they’re going to lend support to a person or institution:
1. Do I believe in the mission?
I’m guessing that if you go to an evangelical church in America, they have the mission/vision/purpose statement plastered everywhere. It’s probably a lot of single buzz-words with periods after each word. God. Real. Community. Coffee. Banjo.
No matter how they’ve branded the mission, the question remains: Do you know why your church exists? Does your church know why it exists?
2. Is the mission being accomplished?
I’m assuming you know the answer to #1, or you wouldn’t have landed there in the first place. However, it’s one thing to say we know why we exist as a church, it’s quite another to actually see that mission bearing fruit.
When you look and listen around, do you hear the stories of lives being changed? When you see what’s really being accomplished at your church, does it line up with what they’ve set out to do?
3. Would I trust them with my money?
This seems like a trite question compared to #1 and #2, but if we’re looking at the church as it compares with every other nonprofit/charity, we have to ask—are they leveraging their resources well?
Here’s how you know: they are incredibly transparent about their finances. If you’re at a place where that’s happening, you’ll be assured both from the leadership and from the evidence that your money is doing what it’s supposed to be doing: building the Kingdom.
So how’s your church doing? If any of those questions gave you pause, take a step back and prayerfully consider if this is still your community (which I hope it is) and then (if it is) dig in!
Your church needs you, in fact, your church is you. If there’s something going on that’s just not sitting right with you, be a part of fixing it.
Don’t choose instead , choose both. Because unlike a charity, you’ll never find a more important mission (see #1) than the mission of the Church (See Acts 2). Social justice and sponsoring kids is vitally important, but if the Church was really doing its job, those charities would be overwhelmed with support and eventually not need to exist.
I get you
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by sykeng(m): 3:16pm On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Some of his disciples had jobs, some were fisher men, tent makers, even Judas parents were rich and there is a part in the bible Jesus sent out the apostles to preach and He instructed to take any gift given to them that is a sign of acceptance. it was never as tithe but as gifts if Jesus and His disciples collected tithe it would have been on record.

2 Likes

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by ebukason3(m): 3:32pm On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Agricultural produce are known to be harvested yearly in most cases, that's why tithing was done yearly. Today, people earn monthly, that's why they pay it monthly. You can chose to accumulate all the monthly tithe and pay it at the end of the year. What matters is you paying what belongs to God. But by the end of the year, the amount may appear too big to want to let go. So, it's advisable it is paid monthly when it appears small.

Yes, you are to feast and dine, but the passage never said you should feast on the exact tithe you brought. The feasting is what the temple prepared for everyone to eat. The bulls, sheep, corn, wheat etc are prepared and eaten by everyone after some have been stored and some sacrificed to God through burnt offering. Imagine you pay a tithe of a cow and bags of corn, can you feast on the whole of it in one sitting? The priest only takes a portion out of the many cows paid as tithe, slaughters it and everyone feasts. Same happens when your church holds yearly or quarterly feasts.

Does it mean that strong drink is no longer a sin ? as contain in the scriptures you quoted.

But let me ask.
Are we still under the law?
Is it only the temple that the lord recommend us to bring the tithe?
How sure are we the churches we have today are God's temple?
Which order of priesthood (levitical/Melchizedek) did the Lord recommend to receive tithe?
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Ceoking6: 3:41pm On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

You said every relevant thing about Jesus are what were documented. That means if it was no longer for tithe to be paid, it would have been documented showing him kicking against it. But since tithe was to be continued, Mathew 23:23 shows him approving it.
Matthew 23:23

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted "the weightier matters of the law, judgement, mercy, and faith" these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

So the only time Christ talked about tithe wasn't in awe as you put it, he expressed disgust on how the Pharisees hypocrites are cherry picking the law that suits them while ignoring "the weightier matters of the law, judgement, mercy, and faith" that was more important.

Doesn't this even sound like him talking to our modern day pastors that cherry pick laws that suit them while leaving vital holiness issues?

Mind you Christ didn't dispute tithing for the Jews which he meet but he didn't fail to point the hypocrisy in it.

He was sent to change these Mosaic laws so he simply had to die first to render them mere Jewish ceremonies not binding ordinances.

He expressed disgust at it and didn't say don't do it only because the solution hadn't been delivered yet to the Jews themselves.

In all these no talk of gentiles tithing was even mentioned not when Christ critised it let alone when he became the new testament
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Wetstone: 3:51pm On Oct 13, 2019
Giving your tithe without been born again is a waste because you will still go to hell fire.
alBHAGDADI:

Deuteronomy 14:22-29 (KJV)
22 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.
28 At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
29 And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

As seen above, nowhere in the passage are people ordered to give the tithe directly to the needy. God only says the needy should not be forsaken. How does one forsake the needy in this case? You forsake the needy when you fail to tithe, not when you don't give it to them directly.

The tithe is used for different purposes in the house of God. A portion caters for the priests, a portion sees to the care of the house of God, another portion caters for the needy etc. All of these are supervised by God's priest. So when you tithe, the needy comes to the house of God and they are cared for from it.

The reason why the above passage says the tithe has to be taken to the place where God puts his name, i.e the House of God, is because it is from there the distribution to the purposes it serves is done.

Now, there are two kinds of people in the movement that want to give their tithe directly to the needy by themselves. It sound a like a great idea to give to the needy. But they are both wrong. One class is sincere but sincerely wrong, while the other is just being a thief.

An example of such movement is seen in the gospel passages talking about the woman with an alabaster of expensive ointment who poured it on Jesus to show appreciation for what he did for her.

When the disciples saw what she did, they felt awkward about it. They wondered why the expensive ointment wasn't sold and the money given to the poor. They were since but sincerely wrong.

Matthew 26:8-11 (KJV)
8 But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste?
9 For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor.

Now, what about the class that is wrong and also being a thief about it? That class has people with the mindset of Judas Iscariot. See what he said below and how the Bible described him and those who reason alike.

John 12:4-6 (KJV)
4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

Let me tell you something about many of those who love to say their tithe ought to be given to the poor directly by themselves without taking it to the Church. They are thieves. How do I know this? Just read on.

The Bible clearly states that the tithe belongs to God and he even said it has to be brought into his house as seen below.

Leviticus 27:30
And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD.

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house,

Now, these people who go give it directly to the poor are simply robbing God. They are not to decide how God should spend what belongs to him. They are to pay it to the church and allow God and his priest decide how to spend it. But no, they think it is right the tithe is given to the poor and needy themselves.

Ask them what they did with their own 90 percent. They spent it all on themselves without caring for the poor out of it. But it is God's own money they now want to give to the poor. That's robbery. They are Judas Iscariot, because if they truly cared for the poor, they would have something from their own 90 percent to give to the poor and allow God enjoy his own 10 percent. They are like Judas who had the money bag but never gave to the poor from it but is eyeing the expensive oil spent on Jesus who is God.

Mathew 26:10-11
10 When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.
11 For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.

The moment you decide to neglect the word of God by giving the tithe to the needy yourself, you will get consumed by pride. There's this feeling you will get when you give it to the needy yourself. You will feel fulfilled, however, that's you feeling puffed up and consumed by pride because you did the desire of your heart, not what God ordered.

Guess what? You have taken God's glory because the people you gave it to will praise you and henceforth hold you in high-esteem. All of these belongs to God, but you have cornered it to yourself.

You used God's money to buy those things for yourself - that's another offence. You also prevent the needy from going to God's house to seek help where they will be exposed to his word. Now, it's your own house they will go to.

Guess what will happen to God's house? It will become empty because there will be no priest nor workers to run it because they are not getting paid and can't feed. They will go look for job elsewhere. The Church will become empty because the needy won't be there to fill it up and there won't be a priest to minister to them. Such a church will die. That is what Satan wants. He wants the church to be starved of funds so it will die and souls will continue to go to hell. You have foolishly aided the devil's dream because you chose to follow your heart and emotions instead of the word of God. Your way seemed right to you over the word of God.

What you have to do is pay the tithe to the house of God and never worry how it's spent. It's not your money, so why bother yourself about it? Also, make sure it is God's house you are paying the money to, not some crooked man running a business center and claiming it is a church. Pay the money into the bank God uses and it will get to him, not in the bank he doesn't use.

Next time, follow what the Bible says, not your heart which is prone to emotions. The thought of our hearts sometimes seems right but are wrong. Many of the tithe we pay are not always used to maintain the church. They are sent to jungles where missionary men are facing dangers to spread the gospel. Don't hinder God's work by disobeying his word and following your heart.

Thank you.

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Geesaintagape: 3:51pm On Oct 13, 2019
The era of tithes has gone, anybody teaching tithing is a thief.
No priesthood again, no levite again, no burnt offering why tithes fail to stop.
I'm yet to hear in Nigerian church where they will say pay ur tax as Jesus teaches

2 Likes

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Geesaintagape: 3:59pm On Oct 13, 2019
Amanda4life:

It is do e month because if you leave it till one year you may spend them and at the end of the day give less tithe which may result to curse
Thief bible clearly say bring ur tithe to the levite every 3yrs,two yes belong to me then why every yr or month
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by alBHAGDADI: 4:12pm On Oct 13, 2019
Ceoking6:
Matthew 23:23

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted "the weightier matters of the law, judgement, mercy, and faith" these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

So the only time Christ talked about tithe wasn't in awe as you put it, he expressed disgust on how the Pharisees hypocrites are cherry picking the law that suits them while ignoring "the weightier matters of the law, judgement, mercy, and faith" that was more important.

Doesn't this even sound like him talking to our modern day pastors that cherry pick laws that suit them while leaving vital holiness issues?

Mind you Christ didn't dispute tithing for the Jews which he meet but he didn't fail to point the hypocrisy in it.

He was sent to change these Mosaic laws so he simply had to die first to render them mere Jewish ceremonies not binding ordinances.

He expressed disgust at it and didn't say don't do it only because the solution hadn't been delivered yet to the Jews themselves.

In all these no talk of gentiles tithing was even mentioned not when Christ critised it let alone when he became the new testament

Did Jesus condemn tithing? No. He had every opportunity to state that tithing would no longer be practiced, but he didn't. Instead he upheld it.

But you are here saying he was only talking to the Jews under the law, and that the moment he died and ressurected, the law became abolished or stopped. According to you, can sleep with your mother since the below law has been abolished.

Leviticus 18:6
None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their unclothedness: I am the LORD.

Next time, don't say jargons.
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by rattlesnake(m): 4:15pm On Oct 13, 2019
MrSix:

Someone would just set up an institution and you'd call it God's house.

The only recognized house was in Jerusalem and is your body. Any other house is not scriptural.

Dont mind them.....its all scam to collect people's money..

Jesus didn't lay emphasis on tithe

Jesus clearly says

Anything given to the poor has been given to God

All this long grammar is nothing but greed
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by alBHAGDADI: 4:16pm On Oct 13, 2019
ebukason3:

Does it mean that strong drink is no longer a sin ? as contain in the scriptures you quoted.

But let me ask.
Are we still under the law?
Is it only the temple that the lord recommend us to bring the tithe?
How sure are we the churches we have today are God's temple?
Which order of priesthood (levitical/Melchizedek) did the Lord recommend to receive tithe?

The strong drink is not for your own consumption. It is for a drink offering onto God.

Numbers 28:7-8
'Then the drink offering with it shall be a fourth of a hin for each lamb, in the holy place you shall pour out a drink offering of strong drink to the LORD. 'The other lamb you shall offer at twilight; as the grain offering of the morning and as its drink offering, you shall offer it, an offering by fire, a soothing aroma to the LORD.

We are still under the law but not in terms of salvation. If you say we are no more under the law, doesn't that mean can have sex with our mother and daughter as against the law below?

None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their unclothedness: I am the LORD.

The temple is the only place to take your tithe to.
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Nobody: 4:17pm On Oct 13, 2019
Some of you giving your tithe to the needy are just a' bunch of liars'.
If you aren't giving your tithe to the house of God you will give it to house of Satan by trick or by force
Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by Ceoking6: 4:17pm On Oct 13, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Did Jesus condemn tithing? No. He had every opportunity to state that tithing would no longer be practiced, but he didn't. Instead he upheld it.

But you are here saying he was only talking to the Jews under the law, and that the moment he died and ressurected, the law became abolished or stopped. According to you, can sleep with your mother since the below law has been abolished.

Next time, don't say jargons.
lol, I would have to leave it here, I can see its a lost case

One of your comment you mentioned how would a pastor survive without tithe so I understand this is a dead end.

But my happiness is 90% of the persons who have commented here know their left from right.

Shalom

2 Likes

Re: Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says by alBHAGDADI: 4:20pm On Oct 13, 2019
sykeng:

Some of his disciples had jobs, some were fisher men, tent makers, even Judas parents were rich and there is a part in the bible Jesus sent out the apostles to preach and He instructed to take any gift given to them that is a sign of acceptance. it was never as tithe but as gifts if Jesus and His disciples collected tithe it would have been on record.

Only Paul was a tentmaker. The rest abandoned fishing to become fishers of men. Paul depended on tent making to feed himself because he never pastored any church. He wasn't a pastor but an evangelist. Same Paul stated that pastors or Bishops have the right to eat your carnal things just as the priests in the temple of old eat out of the things offered in the temple.

Are you saying because the Bible doesn't state that the apostles brushed their teeth, it means they didn't? Since that's your belief, make sure you don't brush your teeth henceforth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Woman Delivers Baby At Dunamis International Gospel Church In Abuja / Fashola Visits Site Of Collapsed Synagogue Church as Death Toll Hits 44 (PHOTOS) / Deborah Samuel: Pastor Adeboye Cancels Sokoto Crusade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.