Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) (50489 Views)

Seme Border: Ban On Vehicle Importation Still In Force - Customs / Coronavirus: 23 Nigerian Returnees Arrive Seme Border From Lome / Jubilation As African Migrants Enter Spain After Forcing Entry At Border. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by 9jatriot(m): 8:53am On Oct 14, 2019
You know what, you are so right about these okada guys in the cities, many of them were thriving farmers driven away by Boko Haram, herdsmen and low sales of product. Would be nice to see them start going back to their places rather than arriving in the south in droves.
GAZZUZZ:

Excellent observation.

The ripple effect of closing the border will create more jobs. Most of my staff are farmers I recruited from the north and trained then to become mechanics, most of the Okada riders in most cities are farmers from the north and middle belt, when the hear farming has become more rewarding they will go back to the farms.

All the govt needs to do is invest in technology that makes farming easier , and also a tax free environment for investors in agriculture.

With time food sufficiency will not be a problem.

2 Likes

Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Techsunny: 8:55am On Oct 14, 2019
Commentor:

Yes.

It depends on how hardworking the people are.

Nigerians should get to work.
Really! But did u attend Js 1 nd jump to Ss 2 in school?.
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by jaxxy(m): 8:55am On Oct 14, 2019
sarrki:

You must sit down to properly learn and be grounded before thinking of standing to teach or perform with impact.

The government is experimenting with close borders and I think it’s a good move bt they have to be sensitive to the inflation it’s causing and when it comes to stabilizing prices when have a poor record history in handling this and unless the government applies the right mechanisms to keep prices low which I’m not sure they have much control over, the laws of demand and supply is smtmes fail here due to greed and artificial scarcity.

There is also a possibility of backlash from people who main business is importing these food stuffs and products.
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by 9gerian: 8:55am On Oct 14, 2019
Force majeure!
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by olu77(m): 8:55am On Oct 14, 2019
Techsunny:
Nigeria is a consuming country not a producing country.Why border is closed when food not sufficient to feed your people , Agriculture 6%, you re there yet , now u want inclement of VAT.

I understand how you feel and I know it's not all government policies that make sense but are you trying to say the attribute of a country to either be a consumer or a producer is like destiny, in this age when people even change their gender? It takes determination for a consumer to become a producer. We can hate Buhari for that decision today but in 10 to 20years time we'll all probably be honouring his memory. No pain no gain.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:56am On Oct 14, 2019
Theflint1:

You're asking if we must eat a major staple food?

Yes. Must we eat rice?

Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Commentor: 8:56am On Oct 14, 2019
Techsunny:
Really! But did u attend Js 1 nd jump to Ss 2 in school?.

Faily faily always repeat class.
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by olu77(m): 9:01am On Oct 14, 2019
sparko1:

You know sometime you should think with your head before you talk, that head is for thinking!

If you can't comprehend why the price of goods and farm product are on the rise, what statistic are you giving, you have no idea.

You lot just want to make money, damn the consequence on the nation! Let them open the body, let you export subsided crude oil to neighboring countries, its our money, its our oil, but you want the government to fix your road, you want infrastructural development, you complain all day about the worse thing that you see, you commend the white but forget most of the things you see over there is because they made some sacrifice, you don't care, we have oil why should we pay tax? Its like the government should sell the oil and send the money to your account.

No country can progress without sacrifice, if we don't start now, a time will come it will be too late, even benin republic will be rubbing shoulders with us in terms of development.

I will criticize Buhari when the measure is against the masses not when the decision is meant to bring development we can all be proud of in the future. Your post said it all. We praise the developed countries without studying their history of sacrifices.
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Techsunny: 9:02am On Oct 14, 2019
Commentor:

Faily faily always repeat class.
Ha ha ha funny u, we sill have a long way to go, every thing has a season, it's not right time to take action on this issue.
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Commentor: 9:07am On Oct 14, 2019
Techsunny:
Ha ha ha funny u, we sill have a long way to go, every thing has a season, it's not right time to take action on this issue.

The right time would be when advanced countries wouldn't need land, the sun and rain to cultivate rice.
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Theflint1(m): 9:09am On Oct 14, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

Yes. Must we eat rice?

No major carbohydrate source lasts as long as rice in storage. There's no way we make the switch to other sources of carbohydrate when there's no infrastructure in place for long-term storage or alternative sources enough to feed people.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Yomboy4ever(m): 9:09am On Oct 14, 2019
Daviddson:
It's unfortunate the price escalation this land border closure has brought, but sorry what do you mean by stone rice? A lot of Nigerians are very illiterate when it comes to Nigerian rice. They don't know that the only stony rice are those not milled by machines. Go to the market and see different Nigerian-made rice - 50KG bagged and totally stone-free like every other foreign rice.

Give me a name i am ready to buy a stone free Nigeria rice anytime any day.. The ones i havd been buying are full of stones as if ther are from ajaokuta

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by dochenaj: 9:09am On Oct 14, 2019
sarrki:
So armed robbers should also tell there victims before hand
This analogy is so out of point and utterly senseless.
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Techsunny: 9:09am On Oct 14, 2019
Smartwave:
some Nigeria youth need Sense. What is there in Benin republic?? Are Benin producing anything? If you need to import do so through Nigeria seaport. Why importing through another country, while you are still bringing it to Nigeria, and yet you still complaining about bad economy ??
Revenues realised so far from Nigeria wharf ,where's the impact on the economic growth of Nigeria? .
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Wayne4uall(m): 9:10am On Oct 14, 2019
Daviddson:
It's like asking why people should still be using torchlight phone in this era of ubiquitous smartphone revolution. It's the small scale farmers who have no access to rice mills that have chosen to thread their own rice using manual methods.

Let the government to give me soft lons to buy rice mills
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Techsunny: 9:14am On Oct 14, 2019
Commentor:

The right time would be when advanced countries wouldn't need land, the sun and rain eto cultivate rice.
Ooops.....adding more hardship to common man, when u did not make such provision for him yet, is a good Idea?.
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Commentor: 9:15am On Oct 14, 2019
Techsunny:
Ooops.....adding more hardship to common man, when u did not make such provision for him yet, is a good Idea?.

They gave rice loans starting 4 years ago.

Where were you?
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by achikolo(f): 9:15am On Oct 14, 2019
Commentor:

The right time would be when advanced countries wouldn't need land, the sun and rain to cultivate rice.
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by kareemkamil(m): 9:19am On Oct 14, 2019
All of you criticizing government on this move are all Mad. All of you are after Nigerian backward. And God will punish all of you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by achikolo(f): 9:21am On Oct 14, 2019
[s]
Commentor:

What is inclement?

Are you saying Nigeria was cursed to be a consuming country whilst Thailand was blessed to be a producer?

[/s]
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by tot(f): 9:22am On Oct 14, 2019
The irony of it is that the OP sarrki does not even live in Nigeria, so I don't know what gives him the moral right to talk when he's not feeling the impact.

I support the border closure but it should have been done AFTER adequate measures had been put in place but our non-thinking government as usual never brings out well thought out policies.
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Techsunny: 9:24am On Oct 14, 2019
Commentor:

They gave rice loans starting 4 years ago.

Where were you?

Loans on rice, funny, goverment should invest more on agriculture, they re giving loans to farmers ,Nigeria goverment lazy??. , in Thailand did goverment invest more in agriculture or private sectors? ?.

1 Like

Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Adekdammy: 9:26am On Oct 14, 2019
sarrki:
The border closure is 100% ok for us to be able to think inward

The bbc pidgin news which I copied is an attest that we are doing well as a nation

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/tori-49817208

Doing well as a nation with border closure? Even the rice in kano can never be enough for kano residents.

You don't close borders when you lack food sufficiency.
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Babaalata: 9:27am On Oct 14, 2019
allthingsgood:

Abeg rest. Your analogy makes no sense. If they are multi-national, then they are in those countries u speak as well. Besides, our sea and airports are open for business. U must not use land

Not all of them have factories in those countries. Some goods are manufactured here and transported to neighbouring West African countries
They use land because of the cost of going through the Sea port and also the time factor It is faster and easier to transport small quantity of goods through the road than seaport or airport

1 Like

Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Chapter1vs6(m): 9:29am On Oct 14, 2019
Beremx:
Abeg go siddon!! As if the high cost of rice is not affecting you.

Nonsense and border closing. angry
he is not in Nigeria. I really wonder why people in Nigeria takes that guy seriously
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by dochenaj: 9:30am On Oct 14, 2019
If the supply of Nigerian made rice is as much as we claim, then with the cheaper labour, no import duties the locally produced rice should be cheaper than the imported rice.

But that is no so, because the supply is much lower than the demand. Why should I be surprised, rice is the most staple food of over 200 million Nigerians.

If the government is really interested in stopping importation of rice, they should invest directly in rice production and thus increase the local rice production while selling at a regulated price.

The goal should be to make rice importation unprofitable.
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Commentor: 9:31am On Oct 14, 2019
Techsunny:
Loans on rice, funny, goverment should invest more on agriculture, they re giving loans to farmers ,Nigeria goverment lazy??. , in Thailand did goverment invest more in agriculture or private sectors? ?.

You don't know what you are saying.
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by Babaalata: 9:33am On Oct 14, 2019
tot:
The irony of it is that the OP sarrki does not even live in Nigeria, so I don't know what gives him the moral right to talk when he's not feeling the impact.

I support the border closure but it should have been done AFTER adequate measures had been put in place but our non-thinking government as usual never brings out well thought out policies.

My thoughts exactly
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by salam8528: 9:33am On Oct 14, 2019
honestly some people are something else, just because the local rice produce in ur community is stony u concluded all the rice in Nigeria are stony. come to Niger state and see wonder u will never taste foreign rice after tasting Niger state local rice.

1 Like

Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by achikolo(f): 9:37am On Oct 14, 2019
[s]
Commentor:

You don't know what you are saying.
[/s]
Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by edoairways: 9:38am On Oct 14, 2019
Odingo1:
I thought that this border closure is against ECOWAS rule,I thought that in ecowas member countries there is free movement of goods and services within the member states.

So they have been deceiving theirselves all this while in ECOWAS.
ECOWAS supports their member countries in producing goods and exporting it to member countries not smuggling foreign products

2 Likes

Re: Trucks Stuck At The End Of Seme Border (Photos) by caracas: 9:39am On Oct 14, 2019
sarrki:

So armed robbers should also tell there victims before hand
This statement shows how stupid n insensitive some people are.
Trash.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

18 Common Road Signs That Most Motorists In Nigeria Don’t Know Their Meanings / Ahmadu Chanchangi Is Dead (Chanchangi Airlines Chairman) / This Is Abia State (recent Pics & Comments Made By Abians)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.