Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,181 members, 7,807,580 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) (42383 Views)

Chinua Achebe Signing A Copy Of His Book 'Anthills Of Savanna' (Throwback Photo) / A Nairalander Poses With Obaseki As Governor Endorses His Book (Photos) / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by bamasite(m): 7:30am On Oct 14, 2019
Great man, great book.

THAT BOY CALLS YOU FATHER, DO NOT HAVE A HAND IN HIS DEATH

7 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by ukaface(f): 7:30am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:
As much as his pple's conducts don't justify his legacy, hardworks and struggles... nevertheless, from the most reputable part of the country, SW... we Omoluabis hereby show our utmost respect!

Long live his legacy! cool
must you make every issue, tribalistic?
So much for insecurity.......
Nawa for you oooo

6 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by MartinsD12(m): 7:30am On Oct 14, 2019
Dozzywest:
How handsome and intelligent he looks here.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/gallery/2013/mar/22/chinua-achebe-nigeria-novelist-poet-pictures
Things fall apart the legendary iconic novel of all time

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by joseph1832(m): 7:30am On Oct 14, 2019
I'm sure some of those who attended secondary school during the early 2000 haven't read this book.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Bigcowhorn: 7:31am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:
As much as his pple's conducts don't justify his legacy, hardworks and struggles... nevertheless, from the most reputable part of the country, SW... we Omoluabis hereby show our utmost respect!

You are so full of Lagos shit.

12 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Marliyn: 7:31am On Oct 14, 2019
He looks like kanye west in the first picture
Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by AsomArchitectNG(m): 7:32am On Oct 14, 2019
We offer services for Architectural drawings/construction in order to
achieve a conducive, affordable and sustainable
building which meets the trend of contemporary
buildings today..
Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by YorubaNinja: 7:34am On Oct 14, 2019
ukaface:
must you make every issue, tribalistic?
So much for insecurity.......
Nawa for you oooo

Lasgidi baby, right? Lasdigi indeed, dear! grin
Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Amarabae(f): 7:35am On Oct 14, 2019
Simply a legend
Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 7:36am On Oct 14, 2019
nams77:
A great literary icon. One of the greatest.

Btw, i guess this is the first time i am seeing a picture of him this young.....A fine gentleman.

Indeed a fine gentleman with swag....check out his shirt style.
Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Amanee(f): 7:36am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:

@bolded. Whatever you've been smoking, madam pls, come off it! There's so much you don't know. Are you sure you're a Nigerian at all?

They didn't invest jack! They're all victims of their own misguidance. Their region is so messed up that it's become almost inhabitable for modern civilization. A haven and fortress for savagery. Their negative attitudes, divisibility, and arrogant nature have been the apex reason of their downfall.

Even in the most fairly contested election ever held in the history of this nation where MKO won the north and SW in a landslide, he lost in the SE. Simply because of their sentiments and hatred for Yorubas and anything Yoruba. They supported OBJ cuz they've got no choice as it was btw two Yorubas. They supported OBJ to spite the SW as, the SW supported Falae. They'll do anything to spite Yoruba pple. They opposed PMB simply cuz of Osinbajo, his Yoruba V.P.

The same Yorubas that give them accomodation and roofs upon their heads. No other tribes can successfully thrive in their own region. They're very un-accomodating to other tribes even their own Igbo pple if you're not from their states or localities.

I love progressive minded Igbos... Late Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu will always be my hero. I love him to death but, his pple messed up the 1966 coup due to unnecessary sentiments. That's story for another day. Guess who 'strategically' killed him? That coward, Ojukwu!

Of course, not all of them are bad. Majority of the educated ones are great. I've got several Igbo friends and, trust me they sometimes regret their heritage.

Your hatred is what is making you stagnant in life. You'll never move forward if you harbor such resentment for people that don't even care about your existence.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by meccuno: 7:37am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:

this is a disrespectful statement.

6 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by femliany(m): 7:37am On Oct 14, 2019
Turning and turning in the widening gyre ; the falcon cannot hear the falconer
Mere Anarchy is let loose upon the earth
Things fall apart and the centre can not hold

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by B2joa(m): 7:38am On Oct 14, 2019
Shegzdave:
##Respect

THIS WERE INDIVIDUALS WITH CLASS AND INTEGRITY

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by shadeze: 7:39am On Oct 14, 2019
[s]
YorubaNinja:

@bolded. Whatever you've been smoking, madam pls, come off it! There's so much you don't know. Are you sure you're a Nigerian at all?

They didn't invest jack! They're all victims of their own misguidance. Their region is so messed up that it's become almost inhabitable for modern civilization. A haven and fortress for savagery. Their negative attitudes, divisibility, and arrogant nature have been the apex reason of their downfall.

Even in the most fairly contested election ever held in the history of this nation where MKO won the north and SW in a landslide, he lost in the SE. Simply because of their sentiments and hatred for Yorubas and anything Yoruba. They supported OBJ cuz they've got no choice as it was btw two Yorubas. They supported OBJ to spite the SW as, the SW supported Falae. They'll do anything to spite Yoruba pple. They opposed PMB simply cuz of Osinbajo, his Yoruba V.P.

The same Yorubas that give them accomodation and roofs upon their heads. No other tribes can successfully thrive in their own region. They're very un-accomodating to other tribes even their own Igbo pple if you're not from their states or localities.

I love progressive minded Igbos... Late Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu will always be my hero. I love him to death but, his pple messed up the 1966 coup due to unnecessary sentiments. That's story for another day. Guess who 'strategically' killed him? That coward, Ojukwu!

Of course, not all of them are bad. Majority of the educated ones are great. I've got several Igbo friends and, trust me they sometimes regret their heritage.
[/s]
nonsense

9 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by bigpicture001: 7:40am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:

I will implore u to edeavour to travel once a hile...you know nothing as an ult...u spent all ur lifetime playing motal combact game...gravel nd reasning will chnge

10 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by achikolo(f): 7:40am On Oct 14, 2019
[s]
YorubaNinja:

[/s]

5 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by EXOUSIAng: 7:40am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:

Thanx fam, you said it all

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Praktikals(m): 7:40am On Oct 14, 2019
jacksonkennedy:
what do you mean his people's conducts don't justify his legacy blah blah blah. Just pay your respects and move on.
Mind you the Igbos have always been the number one supporters of our people. They have invested heavily in our lands, supported our political ambitions in 2003, never fought us and have always stood for positive change in Nigeria.
I don't know where you base but when you come abroad and accept help from an Igbo in your trial period, then you will know just how stupid your bigotry here is.

Let's just say the ones over there have been refined and westernized. The Igbos back home are nothing but criminal-minded empty chest beaters.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 7:42am On Oct 14, 2019
#Respect
Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 7:43am On Oct 14, 2019
tillaman:
This man makes me admire the Igbo tribe, bundle of talents
Great man!!
I’ll read that book over and over anyday
Anytime
Bro you are not alone....I have read that book over and over again....it really gave me a great sense of respect to the creativity of this Igbo man

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 7:44am On Oct 14, 2019
Praktikals:

Let's just say the ones over there have been refined and westernized. The Igbos back home are nothing but criminal-minded empty chest beaters.
I wasn't born in u.s. I have lived in Lagos before and I have met Igbos. They are just like us...no different whatsoever.

There is no tribe without criminal-minded empty chest beaters. I see that often here...there is always a Yoruba person opening thread to gloat over perceived Yoruba wins... same as Igbo

8 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Hoephase: 7:44am On Oct 14, 2019
jacksonkennedy:
what do you mean his people's conducts don't justify his legacy blah blah blah. Just pay your respects and move on.
Mind you the Igbos have always been the number one supporters of our people. They have invested heavily in our lands, supported our political ambitions in 2003, never fought us and have always stood for positive change in Nigeria.
I don't know where you base but when you come abroad and accept help from an Igbo in your trial period, then you will know just how stupid your bigotry here is.

Don't pay mind to those kids that haven't left their enclave and have no idea of how the world works. They sit in the comfort of their parents home used data paid for by their hardworking parents, to disparage others.

I am not trying to detail this thread but just to put this out there just so it may of help to at least to one person. When I first got here the first person that found a place for me and explain how things work out here was a Yoruba guy I don't even know him from Adam. Someone just sent him an email and told him to help and he came forth. We are still friends for more than a decade though he relocated to Nigeria over 5 years now we still talk and planning on coholding a business. The person closest to me here that is a Nigerian is from Ibadan, he is my to go person in case of emergency.

I would say the fact that lived always in every geopolitical zone while growing up and lived with people of different tribe in Nigerian then makes me appreciate people more and open to people of other ethnicity.

What I have come to realise is that we are all human just passing through life.

I find it extremely difficult to understand why people will hate and disparage a group of people they have never met.

16 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by meccuno: 7:44am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:

you harbour all these in your heart at this age. Then you call the people who you despise. Haters. These comments of yours were unwarranted because no one abused or insulted Yorubas but you decided to express your hate filled bitterness. What has the post up there about Achebe got to do with your personal hate filled bitterness? How a human being can move with this envy and bitterness beats my imagination. I pray whatever evil or thoughts you have for these people who have done you no harm shall be returned back to you in ten folds. That is the law of karma

21 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by blowjohn(m): 7:45am On Oct 14, 2019
jacksonkennedy:
I don't know where you base but when you come abroad and accept help from an Igbo in your trial period, then you will know just how stupid your
bigotry here is.

No sir/ma.
Let me tell u what happened yesterday in Methodist Church, Abuja.
It was independence celebration so different tribes represented by singing and dancing to the altar in their various native songs.
From the Yorubas to the hausas, to the south south etc there was no issue.
When it was the turn of igbos, guess what happened?
There was issue with choice of song such that when a song was chosen, a faction will disapprove.
Let me state here without exaggerating that it was after about 5,6 or 7 songs( certainly more than 4) that the igbos agreed on a song.
We non ibos were so perplexed and slightly annoyed cos time was far spent and we needed to leave so that the 10 am service to commence.
Not to sound so stereotypical but was a pointer to disunity.

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by netflicks(m): 7:45am On Oct 14, 2019
ednut1:
Abeg is there any northern literacy icon

Lol.... why u wan shake table this morning na cheesy

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by unbitchable(m): 7:45am On Oct 14, 2019
Southwest Education made Chinua Achebe what he is. Igbos should give Yoruba some respect.

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Psalm2423(m): 7:47am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:

I love progressive minded Igbos... Late Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu will always be my hero. I love him to death but, his pple messed up the 1966 coup due to unnecessary sentiments. That's story for another day. Guess who 'strategically' killed him? That coward, Ojukwu! .

@bolded, I thought it was Aguiyi that killed him?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie And Husband, Ivara Esege At Stanel World Awka. Pictures / It Started With A Look (18+) / Top Ten Grammatical Blunders Made By Patience Jonathan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.