Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) (42386 Views)

Chinua Achebe Signing A Copy Of His Book 'Anthills Of Savanna' (Throwback Photo) / A Nairalander Poses With Obaseki As Governor Endorses His Book (Photos) / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by mamajj17(f): 7:49am On Oct 14, 2019
See Mode of Dressing then cheesy grin grin RIP Sir
Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 7:49am On Oct 14, 2019
blowjohn:

No sir/ma.
Let me tell u what happened yesterday in Methodist Church, Abuja.
It was independence celebration so different tribes represented by singing and dancing to the altar in their various native songs.
From the Yorubas to the hausas, to the south south etc there was no issue.
When it was the turn of igbos, guess what happened?
There was issue with choice of song such that when a song was chosen, a faction will disapprove.
Let me state here without exaggerating that it was after about 5,6 or 7 songs( certainly more than 4) that the igbos agreed on a song.
We non ibos were so perplexed and slightly annoyed cos time was far spent and we needed to leave so that the 10 am service to commence.
Not to sound so stereotypical but was a pointer to disunity.
this nonsense you wrote here is so childish. I hope you expand your obviously narrow mind
Is your problem with them actually that they are disunited or everything about them piss you off? Choose one

14 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 14, 2019
GOAT

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by favour32(m): 7:54am On Oct 14, 2019
meccuno:
you harbour all these in your heart at this age. Then you call the people who you despise. Haters. These comments of yours were unwarranted because no one abused or insulted Yorubas but you decided to express your hate filled bitterness. What has the post up there about Achebe got to do with your personal hate filled bitterness? How a human being can move with this envy and bitterness beats my imagination. I pray whatever evil or thoughts you have for these people who have done you no harm shall be returned back to you in ten folds. That is the law of karma
The small boy is toxic!

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by princebishop(m): 7:54am On Oct 14, 2019
Nnamdi99:
This man is truly a legend,even though dead physically, he still lives in the mind of many literature lovers like me.

his manhood still lives on

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Angelawhite(m): 7:58am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:

@bolded. Whatever you've been smoking, madam pls, come off it! There's so much you don't know. Are you sure you're a Nigerian at all?

They didn't invest jack! They're all victims of their own misguidance. Their region is so messed up that it's become almost inhabitable for modern civilization. A haven and fortress for savagery. Their negative attitudes, divisibility, and arrogant nature have been the apex reason of their downfall.

Even in the most fairly contested election ever held in the history of this nation where MKO won the north and SW in a landslide, he lost in the SE. Simply because of their sentiments and hatred for Yorubas and anything Yoruba. They supported OBJ cuz they've got no choice as it was btw two Yorubas. They supported OBJ to spite the SW as, the SW supported Falae. They'll do anything to spite Yoruba pple. They opposed PMB simply cuz of Osinbajo, his Yoruba V.P.

The same Yorubas that give them accomodation and roofs upon their heads. No other tribes can successfully thrive in their own region. They're very un-accomodating to other tribes even their own Igbo pple if you're not from their states or localities.

I love progressive minded Igbos... Late Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu will always be my hero. I love him to death but, his pple messed up the 1966 coup due to unnecessary sentiments. That's story for another day. Guess who 'strategically' killed him? That coward, Ojukwu!

Of course, not all of them are bad. Majority of the educated ones are great. I've got several Igbo friends and, trust me they sometimes regret their heritage.

Hatred engenders retrogression. When things happen, people tend to look too far for its cause. Look no further

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by brownbib(m): 8:00am On Oct 14, 2019
Great man

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by nauto6: 8:00am On Oct 14, 2019
Things Jaga Jaga Now

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Hermis: 8:04am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:

@bolded. Whatever you've been smoking, madam pls, come off it! There's so much you don't know. Are you sure you're a Nigerian at all?

They didn't invest jack! They're all victims of their own misguidance. Their region is so messed up that it's become almost inhabitable for modern civilization. A haven and fortress for savagery. Their negative attitudes, divisibility, and arrogant nature have been the apex reason of their downfall.

Even in the most fairly contested election ever held in the history of this nation where MKO won the north and SW in a landslide, he lost in the SE. Simply because of their sentiments and hatred for Yorubas and anything Yoruba. They supported OBJ cuz they've got no choice as it was btw two Yorubas. They supported OBJ to spite the SW as, the SW supported Falae. They'll do anything to spite Yoruba pple. They opposed PMB simply cuz of Osinbajo, his Yoruba V.P.

The same Yorubas that give them accomodation and roofs upon their heads. No other tribes can successfully thrive in their own region. They're very un-accomodating to other tribes even their own Igbo pple if you're not from their states or localities.

I love progressive minded Igbos... Late Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu will always be my hero. I love him to death but, his pple messed up the 1966 coup due to unnecessary sentiments. That's story for another day. Guess who 'strategically' killed him? That coward, Ojukwu!

Of course, not all of them are bad. Majority of the educated ones are great. I've got several Igbo friends and, trust me they sometimes regret their heritage.
Couldn't agree any less

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Xstremebj: 8:11am On Oct 14, 2019
respect for d great man
chinua achebe rare geniiuus ,never collect nobel prize but writes better dan most of dem

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by SoNature(m): 8:14am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:
As much as his pple's conducts don't justify his legacy, hardworks and struggles... nevertheless, from the most reputable part of the country, SW... we Omoluabis hereby show our utmost respect!

Long live his legacy! cool

Senseless

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Afobear: 8:14am On Oct 14, 2019
tartar9:
Meanwhile,his Yoruba counterpart was showing us the Noble prize.Anyways,thats still better than displaying drugs.He still remains one of the few good story book writers to manage to emerge from that tribe.
imbeside
Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by SURELAND: 8:14am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:
As much as his pple's conducts don't justify his legacy, hardworks and struggles... nevertheless, from the most reputable part of the country, SW... we Omoluabis hereby show our utmost respect!

we or you
Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 14, 2019
Dozzywest:
How handsome and intelligent he looks here.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/gallery/2013/mar/22/chinua-achebe-nigeria-novelist-poet-pictures

See brain!!! We hardly see young renownd writers these days.

Wait o...na nika this man wear dey show case him books? Abeg check second pics....

Kudos to him though.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by MrGerald(m): 8:25am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:

there's no Igbo, born of Igbo that'll ever regret his/her heritage, in fact Igbos are the most proud of their heritage, or which tribe you expect Igboman to choose over Igbo? your hatred towards them will only damage you while they keep moving on.

17 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Nwaonyishi69: 8:28am On Oct 14, 2019
The highest and best human brain that God in his love and Mercy gave to Africa to carry their voice. Diamonds last forever. That is the eagle on the iroko.

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by BluntBoy(m): 8:28am On Oct 14, 2019
Jewessgratitude:

See brain!!! We hardly see young renownd writers these days.

Wait o...na nika this man wear dey show case him books? Abeg check second pics....

Kudos to him though.

There are a lot of young writers, but opportunities are relatively few. This has pushed many of them to self-publish their books which means they cannot avail themselves of the editorial help that is attached to getting published with a traditional publisher.

Moreover, the standard of education has dropped, and motivation has also dropped. How many Nigerians read? The dwindling number of readers is enough discouragement.

In the 50s and 60s, the standard of education was very high, and the likes of Achebe went to school at the prestigious university college. Graduates of primary schools in those days will school a master's holder of today.

Standard of education affects your mastery of English, even if slightly. And when you don't have a proper grasp of the language, your writings would be barely readable, and many publishers would reject it on that score.

5 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Cantonese: 8:31am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:

What a well calculated FOOLISH comment.

7 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by guidelight: 8:33am On Oct 14, 2019
The greatest African literary icon of this age. One day I will stand on his shoulder.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Kevinsamba: 8:37am On Oct 14, 2019
Mhhh
U have given me a life example of
The fallacy of hasty generalization
YorubaNinja:

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by guidelight: 8:40am On Oct 14, 2019
YorubaNinja:

Word of advice for you:
If you don't control your HATE, your HATE will control you.

7 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Mariangeles(f): 8:40am On Oct 14, 2019
[s]
YorubaNinja:

[/s]
You're just so full of hate!

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by AgentNairaland(f): 8:42am On Oct 14, 2019
Yoruba Has WOLE SOYINKA, Igbo Has CHINUA ACHEBE..

Who Exactly HAUSA People Has??
Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by Stormyweather(m): 8:44am On Oct 14, 2019
tartar9:
Meanwhile,his Yoruba counterpart was showing us the Noble prize.Anyways,thats still better than displaying drugs.He still remains one of the few good story book writers to manage to emerge from that tribe.
did you say manage? I'm Pretty sure you don't read books.

5 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by sinceraconcept(m): 8:46am On Oct 14, 2019
21 gun salute to the legend Achebe.

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe Showing Off His Book 'Things Fall Apart' In 1960 (Throwback Photo) by GEEBITE: 8:48am On Oct 14, 2019
The last paragraph reveals who you are.Keep wallowing in tribalism,it will eventually consume you.I am ashamed to share the same Yoruba heritage with you.Oju ti mi fun e
YorubaNinja:

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie And Husband, Ivara Esege At Stanel World Awka. Pictures / It Started With A Look (18+) / Top Ten Grammatical Blunders Made By Patience Jonathan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.