Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,921 members, 7,806,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years (10476 Views)

Buhari Spent More Than $19bn Cost Of Dangote Refinery On Non-functional Ones / How Buhari Spent N8trn On ‘non-existent’ Petrol Subsidies / See The Gutter Buhari Spent Over #200 Million To Commission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by opportunes: 6:02am On Oct 14, 2019
The Nigerian government, between 1999 and 2010, reportedly spent over N4.7 trillion on power, but the country remained in darkness. Eight years later, Jonathan and Buhari administrations invested another N1.164 trillion into the sinkhole through capital releases, but homes and factories in Nigeria are yet to be provided with constant electricity supply. Beatrice Ogbor, a six-year-old girl, and her two-year-old sibling, were born into darkness and have never shared in the joy of the popular exclamation “Up NEPA” that follows power restoration in Nigeria. “We gave birth to her here in 2014,” her father, John Ogbor (45) says.

“You will be surprised that she and her sibling have never seen electricity since birth.” Ogbor is originally from Igede in Obi Local Government of Benue State. For the past 14 years, he has been living in Moro, a community along Shagamu – Ikorodu Expressway in Ogun State, after he left his original birthplace. But for almost seven years, his adopted community has been without electricity. “We tried the little we can. As individual landlords, we contributed N40, 000 to try to make this electricity thing a reality.

They said we should pay the money to process this and that to give us transformer, and we paid to Itesiwaju Area Community Council but at the end, nothing positive came out of it,” he said. For Ogbor, it has become almost hopeless waiting to access electricity in Moro, a community situated near the Nigerian Pipelines and Storage Company, a subsidiary of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) in, Mosimi. Aside its energy need, the community lacks access to healthcare, potable water, road, and schools. “God can still send help though, we believe,” says John.

He paused for a moment, took a deep breath while gazing at his two young children. “During campaign periods, we told them we don’t need rice, we don’t need money but electricity. That has been our only request.” Similarly, Alasia, Iraye, Oremuti, Oponua, Likorodu, Imede and five other communities in Ogun State visited by The ICIR, shared the same fate or worse. For eight years, the Oremuti community struggled to access power. Oponua has never been connected to the national grid. These conditions are not peculiar to Ogun State, but also other states across the country.

In Iraye community, Sagamu Local Government Area, the first set of electricity poles, according to Rasheed Alimi, the community head, was erected in 1994. To date, residents still live in darkness. A huge concrete platform constructed for the electrification project still lies adjacent to the residence of Alimi. It has neither transformer nor electricity cables except for about three electricity concrete poles sighted in the area. Nearby is a multimillion Naira 10-bed health care facility built by the NNPC, but it is off-the-grid. Neglected and taken over by bush, eight months after commissioning.

The oil firm had installed a giant generator to service the clinic whenever it becomes operational but when this reporter visited, he observed that weeds also have covered the generator. Findings, however, revealed that the Ogun State Assembly under the administration of Sen. Ibikunle Amosun, approved in the 2013 budget, the electrification of 32 communities, including Iraye. A closer look shows that the state Ministry of Rural Development and Rural Electrification in Annexure-II (B) listed the proposed benefitting communities but no such project exists today in Iraye.

Over N1 trillion invested in power in eight years Nigeria generates its power via four main sources – hydro, gas, coal and natural gas. But for almost 20 years, huge unverified amount of money has been expended on the sector. Specifically, The ICIR, can authoritatively report that N1.164 trillion has been released to the power sector as capital budgets from 2011 to 2018, yet the power sector has not measured up – darkness still prevails.

This figure was obtained from the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation. Electrical power often generated is literally not commensurate with the huge investments. And returns on investments have largely been discouraging as the Federal Government continues to pump in more resources in terms of budgetary allocations, loans among other interventions to ensure the nation meets its energy need. The Energy Business report (April 2016 vol. 15 no 160), shows that N6.52 trillion has been spent on Nigeria’s power sector in 16 years with no significant improvement.

For example, ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo, the report says, allegedly spent N3.52 trillion ($16 billion) during his tenure, though this figure has been contested. Also, late President Umar Yar’adua was said to have spent N1.183 trillion, while the former President Goodluck Jonathan during his administration reportedly expended N1.817 trillion and President Muhammadu Buhari reportedly spent N1.5 trillion in two years, as at September. Meanwhile, findings by The ICIR revealed that between 2011 and 2018, the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation released capital sum of N1, 164,278,006,846 for power projects in the country.

This sum, however, excludes capital releases to six agencies between 2016 and 2018 namely, Office of the Surveyor-General of the Federation, Federal School of Survey, Oyo, Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA), Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN), Surveyor Council of Nigeria and Regional Centre for Training in Aerospace Survey, when the Buhari-led administration merged the power ministry with works and housing. Epileptic power crippling rural economies, small businesses The importance of stable power as driver of any country’s economy cannot be overemphasised as it is capable of transiting Nigeria from an under-developed to the much desired developed status, especially when industries, Small and Medium Business Enterprises (SMEs) are supported.

But as at today, 90 million Nigerians still lack access to power, a situation that has crippled SMEs and industries. Mrs. Apansile Ade, for instance, is an entrepreneur who operates water and paint factories. She had run the business for over five years but at a loss. She is currently operating only the water factory because the paint business has gone under. “We just stopped producing because the generator developed a fault,” she told The ICIR. “Last week I spent almost N75, 000 repairing generator. I had to stop my son from resuming school on Monday because the little money I would have given to buy books and beverages was no longer there”. Unfortunately, the community she resides since 2010 has never been connected to the grid. As a result, she bought six generators to power her house and the water factory.

The last power generating set just collapsed when The ICIR visited. Government hoards information In order to ascertain the exact amount invested in the power sector, the FOI request was sent to the Federal Ministry of Power. The ministry acknowledged receipt of the request and promised to respond. Weeks after, the ministry is yet to send a reply.

Efforts through FOI requests from The ICIR to access a copy of the power sector shared agreement, which the federal government signed with the unbundled companies, failed. The power ministry acknowledged the same letter but referred to the National Electricity Regulatory Agency (NERC) and the Bureau of Public Enterprise (BPE). But, till date, the document has not been provided. BPE claimed one of the power agreements is being investigated by the EFCC. However, the EFCC has remained numb on the claim after several attempts to verify.

During the investigation, The ICIR visited the Omoku Generation Company Limited 264.7MW and 225MW power project awarded to Rockson Engineering Company Limited, which is located in Omoku community, Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni Local Government Area of River State. The military and private security officials guard the uncompleted facility, which was awarded 14 years ago. In November 2017, the NDPHC promised Omoku and three other plants – 750MW Alaoji, 338MW Egbema and 225MW in Bayelsa would be completed before the third quarter of 2018, but that’s not entirely the case.

Read more: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/jonathan-buhari-spent-n1-164-trn-on-power-in-8-years.html

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by helinues: 6:08am On Oct 14, 2019
Upon the money spent, we got more darkness than never before

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by Lanrextop23333(m): 6:26am On Oct 14, 2019
This country is cursed with darkness

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by mozona(m): 6:27am On Oct 14, 2019
and i see no changes, all i hear is money been allocated.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by YorubaNinja: 6:28am On Oct 14, 2019
Yet, some pple will be shouting APC, PDP all about like either of them really care.

It's the few powerful Oligopolies that have selfish interests in the darkness of the nations to their own benefits... coupled with the Cabals that are causing this NONSENSE!

Otedola, Dangote, Adenuga and all those folks (Oil block owners) that have selfish interests in the crude oil proceeds hence, A 24/7 power supply of Nigeria would damage their profits and businesses. angry

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by Nobody: 6:28am On Oct 14, 2019
AND TILL TOMORROW
WE STILL NEVER GET LIGHT

DUNNO WHY ITS DIFFICULT TO HAVE
LIGHT IN NIGERIA

HERE IN OGIJO,OGUNSTATE
THE LAST TIME WE HAD LIGHT WAS TWO MONTHS AGO

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by Vasgas: 6:29am On Oct 14, 2019
Please I want to know is 24hours power supply feasible??

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by Nobody: 6:33am On Oct 14, 2019
Let me read first!

After reading through, I am so confuse and speechless!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by PureGoldh(m): 6:34am On Oct 14, 2019
Yet we didn't and still can't boast of steady pOwer supply in dx country
Seriously... Dx our leaders are the problem that this country have.. Walahi undecided

If you need Pure Original HOney....call or whatsapp 0 8 1 016 667 71
Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by StaffofOrayan(m): 6:35am On Oct 14, 2019
Where are the PDP and APC crew
Dumbos
Make dem dey use una head play ping pong
Abi na Sowore cause this one too?
Keep defending these bastardss oo

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by Duplik8t77(m): 6:35am On Oct 14, 2019
And how much did obj spend on power again?. Eleribu ni gbogbo politicians ati fans wan

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by Sapeleboy911(m): 6:36am On Oct 14, 2019
The only way to rescue this country is through revolution, but who will bell the cat?. That is who will be the sacrificial lamb?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by Nackzy: 6:39am On Oct 14, 2019
During Johnathans time we use to have 4800 Megawatts
Buh Now 2400 megawatts is not even certain,,the change we so prayed for

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by Cantonese: 6:39am On Oct 14, 2019
We supply light to Benin republic, Togo and Niger, yet they have light 24/7. Na swear dey work for all our leaders head.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by Nobody: 6:41am On Oct 14, 2019
They made it look like giving us electricity is a rocket science. Dangote paid for his power generator , and it got delivered, we all saw it. Just pay for a Bigger Machine like that or what ever..., get it delivered , power it on and lets there be light.... very simple.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by israelmao(m): 6:42am On Oct 14, 2019
What surprises me is that Fashola with all his bluffing couldn't save power sector.I believe he has learned one of the greatest lessons of his life never to judge the size of a river by its length alone.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:42am On Oct 14, 2019
OBJ, where is the power?

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 14, 2019
Come to think of it, can state government invest in power. Even private sectors. Must everything always be on the federal government head?
Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by beautyhound(m): 6:49am On Oct 14, 2019
Vasgas:
Please I want to know is 24hours power supply feasible??

Yes ofcos, nigeria has all the elements needed to produce and generate electricity from all the different sources of electricity, be it solar, wind, hydro, nuclear, gas, coal, petrol etc....

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by careytommy37(m): 6:51am On Oct 14, 2019
Anytime GEJ name is roped in with bubu, just know they are trying to cover something.

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by olisaEze(m): 6:51am On Oct 14, 2019
As long as our policy is to prioritize power supply to neighboring countries before looking to ourselves, this country will remain in darkness. Our population has skyrocketed while our power generation has remained in the 12th century, and we still have to make sure our neighbors have power. Maybe it’s time the government seek other options away from hydroelectricity and settle this once and for all!

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by dejolly(m): 6:52am On Oct 14, 2019
There can never be a constant Power supply in this country because some companies owned by THEM will fold up.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by Welrez(m): 6:52am On Oct 14, 2019
Remove electricity from the exclusive list and let's do away with the national grid. Everything nationally owned has a way of being supplied ineficiently and exploitatively in Nigeria. It is easier for citizens to hold states accountable for their electricity needs than the FG.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by Chidave9(m): 6:54am On Oct 14, 2019
[color=#000099][/color][b][/b][center][/center]My brothers and sisters in Nigeria we have left to fight the problems and choose to fight a lost battle which is wrong, the only solution is not power plants because it have great disadvantage, if you are interested in the solution quate me and i'll give you my contact.
Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by Princedapace(m): 6:57am On Oct 14, 2019
PureGoldh:
Yet we didn't and still can't boast of steady pOwer supply in dx country
Seriously... Dx our leaders are the problem that this country have.. Walahi undecided

If you need Pure Original HOney....call or whatsapp 0 8 1 016 667 71

No, the leaders are not the problem but the masses. I have never seen humans as stupid as us in my life. Nigerians don't protest for anything.

The ones who have the voice have refused to talk. The government can arrest one person but can never ever arrest one million persons. The citizens are so useless.

Celebrities who have the voice are not talking. Activists are not talking. If I protest alone, i can be arrested. If we are millions to protest, prison go full. If Nigerian footballers, celebrities, activists, businesmen, pastors, Imams, obas, etc can come out and protest, no leader can ever arrest all of them and put them into prison. But Nigerians themselves are selfish. If they can afford a litre of fuel, they will say wetin concern me? None of the people who have the voice are selfless. See Sowore, he wanted to fight for all these things but no one has shown him support.

It is not fair. If all the pastors in Nigeria protest for example, can the President arrest all of them? Nigerian leaders are even scared that some day, the masses may revolt but they are doing everything possible to make sure they keep the few ones with voices off grid. They so by giving them contracts, huge sums, favours, etc. When they buy over those with voices, they have succeeded in destroying the entire masses.

That is why I said to find a person who has selfless interest in nigeria is hard. For instance, the top class kings enjoy free fuel and many other things using tax payers money. So these kings are selfish becus since they get free fuel, they careless about others. So what politicians do is keep favouring these kings, pastors, imans, activists, celebrities, in order to close their mouth. They know that they are selfish and greedy.

This was exactly what whites did when they came to rule us. Blacks are the most selfish humans I have ever seen.

14 Likes

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by JonDon12: 6:58am On Oct 14, 2019
First off, Buhari needs to split up the ministry to Power, as one, works as another and then housing.

Secondly, he needs to stop the looting that
Goes on in this sector. He says he came to stop the lifting. Oya stop it.

Third, this Daura President has not any intelligence in handling this administration. There has not been any original ideas from him so I suggest he just stop the looting and that's it. Stop all your stupid programs because your subordinates, who are way smarter than you are just going to use it and steal money .

Unless you are stealing with them. In that case, carry on . God is charging up his thunderbolt

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by Advocate500: 6:59am On Oct 14, 2019
And come to think that this government is fighting Obasanjo for embezzlement money meant for power, this current administration will be the most corrupt administration mark my word.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan, Buhari Spent N1.164 Trillionn On Power In 8 Years by PureGoldh(m): 6:59am On Oct 14, 2019
Princedapace:

No, the leaders are not the problem but the masses. I have never seen humans as stupid as us in my life. Nigerians don't protest for anything.

The ones who have the voice have refused to talk. The government can arrest one person but can never ever arrest one million persons. The citizens are so useless.

Celebrities who have the voice are not talking. Activists are not talking. If I protest alone, i can be arrested. If we are millions to protest, prison go full. If Nigerian footballers, celebrities, activists, businesmen, pastors, Imams, obas, etc can come out and protest, no leader can ever arrest all of them and put them into prison. But Nigerians themselves are selfish. If they can afford a litre of fuel, they will say wetin concern me? None of the people who have the voice are selfless. See Sowore, he wanted to fight for all these things but no one has shown him support.

It is not fair. If all the pastors in Nigeria protest for example, can the President arrest all of them? Nigerian leaders are even scared that some day, the masses may revolt but they are doing everything possible to make sure they keep the few ones with voices off grid. They so by giving them contracts, huge sums, favours, etc. When they buy over those with voices, they have succeeded in destroying the entire masses.

That is why I said to find a person who has selfless interest in nigeria is hard. For instance, the top class kings enjoy free fuel and many other things using tax payers money. So these kings are selfish becus since they get free fuel, they careless about others. So what politicians do is keep favouring these kings, pastors, imans, activists, celebrities, in order to close their mouth. They know that they are selfish and greedy.

This was exactly what whites did when they came to rule us. Blacks are the most selfish humans I have ever seen.

You have a point there bro.... Na wetin dey pull ourselves backwards thoo

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Edison Ehie Withdraws Suit Against 25 Rivers Assembly Members / Gbajabiamila Rebut's Allegations Of Financial Impropriety / Saraki, Dogara’s ‘coup’ Won’t Happen Again – Presidency Boasts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.