Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,600 members, 7,801,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:18 PM

Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia (7034 Views)

El-rufai, Mikel, Siasia,Ighalo Win At Bet9ja Pitch Awards / Mourinho Reveals My Mikel Is Among The Best At Chelsea / Why Coaches Fear Mikel – Siasia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by supereagle(m): 8:03am On Nov 08, 2010
New Eagles coach, Samson Siasia, has slammed English Premier League champions Chelsea for destroying the attacking instincts of midfielder Mikel Obi, who he showcased as a creative player at the 2005 FIFA Under-20 World Cup.

The 23-year-old Mikel, who was five years ago adjudged as the second best player at the Under-20 World Cup behind Lionel Messi, is now expected to play a big role in the Super Eagles under Siasia.

“The system in Chelsea actually destroyed Mikel’s game. Mikel is an offensive player, but when he moved to Chelsea, they changed him because they had a better player offensive wise like Frank Lampard who can score goals,” Siasia said at the weekend.

“I don’t think he is playing in his natural position because we all saw what Mikel played in 2005 and everybody loved him for what he did, he can keep the ball and create chances for the strikers to score goals.

“That was why Chelsea actually gave him a contract, but getting there they had two top players, Lampard and Michael Ballack. Lampard scores goals and so what (Jose) Mourinho did was to bring Mikel back because how many goals has Mikel scored? He brought him back so that Lampard and Ballack played offensive.”

Siasia said that Mikel will have to do more going forward to become a world beater.
“Mikel is a fantastic player, but if you want to be a great player, you have to take risks, do something extra. As a defensive midfielder, you do not have to do much; you just win the ball and pass to the other player. The offensive player takes on more responsibilities,” said the new Eagles coach.

“(Michael) Essien scores goals from defensive positions, why can’t Mikel take the kind of chances that Essien takes? If you don’t shoot, you will never score. You keep passing those short balls, but sometimes you need to take a little bit of risk. That is what is missing in Mikel’s game.”

The Nigeria coach would even suggest Mikel quit Stamford Bridge if it would be impossible for him to be a lot more offensive.

“He has to start playing more offensive to become the Mikel we knew. But if it would be difficult to change the way he is playing, he has to move to another club,” Siasia said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/11/chelsea-have-ruined-my-mikel-siasia/
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by 12large1: 8:43am On Nov 08, 2010
hope siasia don't plan on using this sidepasser as a playmaker because it would fail since 2007 to 2010 he has been played at his so called berst position "playmaker" and he still plays the same siasia better start finding a real playmaker
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Olami099(m): 10:05am On Nov 08, 2010
Yeap,he is right.Mikel is nw proud of himself,may be becos he is earning large cash, siasia shld dumb him and find another creative mid-fielder.
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by johnterry4: 10:54am On Nov 08, 2010
[b]this is pathetic.infact 12large and olami99 are pathetic.why are u guys beefing mikel.the guy make d kind of money u cannot make in 5 yrs in a day.stop d beef.
@topic,

mr saisia,i hope u know what u are doing?are u telling us dat u knw more than jose mourinho,avram grant ,scolari and ancellotti who prefer to play him in a more defensive position.i knew right from 2005 that mikel is better off a defensive midfielder than an attacking one.in 2005,he couldnt shoot and do somethings that attacking midfielders usually do.must everyone be attacking?what abt the makeleles,vieras,and co.they made their name cos of the defensive qualities rather than their attacking qualities.siasia should make mikel a better player in his own way.as for him suggesting that mikel should move to another club,would siasia be happy to have mikel join stoke city and play attacking football.siasia,if u are a good coach then get us another attacking midfielder.dont tell us that if mikel can no longer attack,we cant have another one.a bad workman complains about his tools
[/b]
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Nobody: 11:54am On Nov 08, 2010
whats siasia on about
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Youngichou(m): 11:58am On Nov 08, 2010
johnterry4:

[b][size=11pt][color=#770077]this is pathetic.infact 12large and olami99 are pathetic.why are u guys beefing mikel.the guy make d kind of money u cannot make in 5 yrs in a day.stop d beef.
@topic,

no body is jealousing your stupid mikel
cant u see he his no more the mikel of 07
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Basics007: 12:00pm On Nov 08, 2010
I dont understand. Is this not the same Mikel u invited for 2008  Olympics and "boned" u? I think it's time we move on beyond Mikel and get another playmaker. The guy is too big for SE this days
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by joxiri: 12:06pm On Nov 08, 2010
this statement is not entirely correct, I think mikel himself has lost interest in being attackiing at arsenal song is a holding midfielder, however he still goes forward and theres nothing stoppiing mikel from going forward once in a while at chelsea however once he enters the opponenets centre circle he always looks confused and indecisive and I dont think the blame lies entirely withj chelsea, in essien mikel has a very reliable midfielder who can fill in whenver he bumps forward however he doesnt take advantage of this, so the player himself is to blame
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Michjoe: 12:11pm On Nov 08, 2010
Chelsea have not done any wrong to Mikel, i hope so. he should improve on his own. But recently, he is doing well at bridge.
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Ranoscky(m): 12:16pm On Nov 08, 2010
johnterry4:

mr saisia,i hope u know what u are doing?are u telling us dat u knw more than jose mourinho,avram grant ,scolari and ancellotti who prefer to play him in a more defensive position.i knew right from 2005 that mikel is better off a defensive midfielder than an attacking one.in 2005,he couldnt shoot and do somethings that attacking midfielders usually do.must everyone be attacking?what abt the makeleles,vieras,and co.they made their name cos of the defensive qualities rather than their attacking qualities.siasia should make mikel a better player in his own way.as for him suggesting that mikel should move to another club,would siasia be happy to have mikel join stoke city and play attacking football.siasia,if u are a good coach then get us another attacking midfielder.dont tell us that if mikel can no longer attack,we cant have another one.a bad workman complains about his tools[/color][/size][/b]

Michjoe:

Chelsea have not done any wrong to Mikel, i hope so. he should improve on his own. But recently, he is doing well at bridge.

+2
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Mehiedu(m): 12:36pm On Nov 08, 2010
a good player is one dat can adapt to any role given to him and improves on it.mikel has to improve on his current position he finds himself at chelsea.b it defensive or attacking dat is not d issue he shd just improve.
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by baslone: 12:42pm On Nov 08, 2010
johnterry4:

as for him suggesting that mikel should move to another club,would siasia be happy to have mikel join stoke city and play attacking football.siasia,if u are a good coach then get us another attacking midfielder.

Personally, I believe a golden fish will always be found!

What do you feel about Darren Bent's move to Sunderland, Diara's move to Pouthsmouth or Anelka's move to Bolton?

Just want to hear your opinion here!
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by chakula: 12:56pm On Nov 08, 2010
Grin, Grin.

Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by LRNZH(m): 1:21pm On Nov 08, 2010
I was the staunchest Mikel fan at the WYC in Netherlands when he was revealed.

You could see all the potentials oozing from the guy. To come 2nd after Messi as best player of the tournament is not a joke.

If Mikel had developed as he should he would have been like Michael Ballack in his heydays.

But look what my fav. Chelsea have turned him to,

I am sorry Mikel has not developed to his full potentials even though he may be doing averagely well.

It is about potentials and that is what Siasia who was his youth coach is referring to. That kid was supposed to be a footballing genius.
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Odinaka00(m): 1:41pm On Nov 08, 2010
I thnk siasia is rite abt wat he said, wat wl happen to mikel if he takes a rist to move d ball a bit forward?, Luk at arsenal song, he goez front nd scorez even let me nt go far, check owt dz nu chelsea boy frm brazil, he juz joined chelsea dz season bt luk at d way he moves wit d ball, mikel shld step up hz game jooor, Wtf
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by opabukun(m): 2:10pm On Nov 08, 2010
Odinaka00:

I thnk siasia is rite abt wat he said, wat wl happen to mikel if he takes a rist to move d ball a bit forward?, Luk at arsenal song, he goez front nd scorez even, remainder are RUBBISH @ HIGHEST ORDER!!!

luk @ Arsenal's SONG SCORING WEN DEAR'S NO ONE(STRIKER) TO STRIKE UPFRONT! & IN DOING SO, EXPOSING BACK 4 NEWCASTLE TO SCORE. DEFENSIVE MF NOT PROTECTING HIS DEFENCE! TOO BAD!!

SIASIA, SHLD MOULD A NEW DMF & MAKE MIKEL PLAY IN HIS BEST POSITION. HE (SIASIA) IS AFRAID COZ HE WANT MIKEL IN A POSITION HE MOULDED HIM (hence,", My Mikel"wink& NO ONE IS LIKE SIASIA TASTE AS ATTACKING MF 4NOW IN 9JER. PITTY. MIKEL HAS ESTABLISHED HIMSELF AS D BEST DMF IN 9JER & ONE OF D BEST IN EUROPE.
SIASIA, GET ANODA MIKEL IN HARUNA LUKMAN OR SUM1 U NO & STOP CRYING OVER SPLIT MILK (ON GLASS) NOT ON THE BARE FLOOR!
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by orgasm(m): 2:13pm On Nov 08, 2010
siasia jst confirmed my worries over d years for dis young supposed talented player.i hv b telling anyone dat cares to listen dat jose mourinho destroyed mikels football.in holland 2005,under d tutelage of siasia,he ws a bundle of talents n his football was a beauty to watch.but all he does dis days is jst short passes expected of an average player wt out d nack for creativity not to talk of scoring goals.is jst so sad cos dis guy is talented.one can hardly forget d way n manner he flipped dat pass to abwo to score dat opener against south korea.it was a master piece.as for siasia do all u can to revive mikel n bring out d star in him as u once did but if he choose to b stubborn n heady or feeling lik a big boy,pls dump him cos we hv lots of talent to groom. Temila's boy ibrahim(no.10 of d u-17 cup winning team) will do well in dis regards.all d best.
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by zion222: 2:18pm On Nov 08, 2010
A very good discovery mr siasia, i think the best of mikel is yet to be seen, rideon with your plan i believe GOD on your side you will makeup a succes on him and in the super eagle team as a whole.thxs
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by GNBohr: 2:31pm On Nov 08, 2010
Siasia is right, Mourinho and all succeeding coaches at Stamford Bridge are wrong. But Mikel got what he wanted and we should just leave the way he is. He chose Chelsea over Man United where he would have developed better the way we wanted him.

He love playing for Chelsea that he would have preferred being made a defender. He has now gotten swollen headed at his new position that changing him will be an almost impossible task. He is a talent just wasting away. Makelele and Viera made name because they stamped themselves in matches but our own dear Mikel is yet to do that five years in the colour of Chelsea.

Players who believe in themselves do move to another club when they are not played in their preferred position, this is one of the reasons Diego Forlan left ManU and become a better goal poacher in Spain. He may not likely have achieved that in Old Trafford.

This is not about beefing Mikel is about talking of the pain we feel each time we watch in that absurd position. The recent CAF list for African Footballer does not carry any Nigerian name, even Solomon Kalou is on the list. Mikel should and would have been our brightest star today if he had continued to develop in his playmaker role.

Mikel is a forgotten entity as long as African award is concerned as long as he remain playing in his current role at Chelsea. He will never be the Nigerian star, he will never reach his full potential. He will become a football mistake.

This is what Siasia is saying and for those who know Mikel very well with his football talents, not many who just read about or watch him, he is playing not for glory but for money. Unfortunately, he will not even make the money the way he would have made the money if he had remained in his creative display. Since Mikel turned out for Chelsea, no club has shown serious interest in him, that is how much valued and regarded he is in the transfer market.

It is indeed a big football mistake. He is still young according to the age he claimed, everything depends on him.
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Heebro(m): 2:34pm On Nov 08, 2010
If u say siasia should not invite MIKEL,then who else should he invite as for now?
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Abuse: 2:53pm On Nov 08, 2010
What is the meaning of beef here? Mikel was good in 2005 and not now.He has been taught how to chase women like fowl and play erotica football.We don't need miscreants like him in the new super eagles.
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Odinaka00(m): 3:24pm On Nov 08, 2010
@GNBohr, u ve spoken like a wise nd intelligent dude, i used to enjoy mikel's style of play in 2005, i fell inlove wif hm as if he waz a gal, i like to watch hz gamez bt ever since he joined chelsea, hz style of play haz totally changed, its only a chelsea fan dat wil like to defend mikel nd hide da truth, @opabukun plz mind ur own biznez here o, i take God beg u.
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by 1025: 3:31pm On Nov 08, 2010
Siasia, i will suggest you leave mikel and face ur carrier as a coach. mikel had a target as a young player which is playing a  big club and that he has achieved. pls if u don't find mikel good enough to be in ur team, then invite those u consider good enough as all we nigerians want is success.
if you make mikel ur problem, u are bound to fail. players have every right to quite international football to face their club carrier so mikel can do so.
our population can produce more than 1 million mikels so if u have lost one to chelsea, search for the others and do not think mikel will be a good excuse for failure.
siasia, siasia, siasia, with the kind of respect i have for u, i least expected u to advise a player in one of the best clubs in europe to quite his club. that is a shame and a very useless advise coming from ur type.
what does a player benefit from national team football and how do u want to compare that to a club carried that will not bring u low at the end of the day.
amokachi, etim, amunike and some other great players are confused on what next today because they did not gather enough via club footballs rather they were paying more attention to a national side that is not rewarding in any manner.
who in this life will quite a rewarding club carrier with chelsea for a national side like nigeria?
for ur information mr. siasia, nigeria is not worth such a grave sacrifice and u better mind what u say as that will come back to hunt u in future.
apart from u been a good coach here in nigeria, we expect u to learn from classical coaches like mourinho whose second name is success.
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Nobody: 3:52pm On Nov 08, 2010
GNBohr:

Siasia is right, Mourinho and all succeeding coaches at Stamford Bridge are wrong. But Mikel got what he wanted and we should just leave the way he is. He chose Chelsea over Man United where he would have developed better the way we wanted him.

He love playing for Chelsea that he would have preferred being made a defender. He has now gotten swollen headed at his new position that changing him will be an almost impossible task. He is a talent just wasting away. Makelele and Viera made name because they stamped themselves in matches but our own dear Mikel is yet to do that five years in the colour of Chelsea.

Players who believe in themselves do move to another club when they are not played in their preferred position, this is one of the reasons Diego Forlan left ManU and become a better goal poacher in Spain. He may not likely have achieved that in Old Trafford.

This is not about beefing Mikel is about talking of the pain we feel each time we watch in that absurd position. The recent CAF list for African Footballer does not carry any Nigerian name, even Solomon Kalou is on the list. Mikel should and would have been our brightest star today if he had continued to develop in his playmaker role.

Mikel is a forgotten entity as long as African award is concerned as long as he remain playing in his current role at Chelsea. He will never be the Nigerian star, he will never reach his full potential. He will become a football mistake.

This is what Siasia is saying and for those who know Mikel very well with his football talents, not many who just read about or watch him, he is playing not for glory but for money. Unfortunately, he will not even make the money the way he would have made the money if he had remained in his creative display. Since Mikel turned out for Chelsea, no club has shown serious interest in him, that is how much valued and regarded he is in the transfer market.

It is indeed a big football mistake. He is still young according to the age he claimed, everything depends on him.
Infact, you have said it all. Peace be on Mikel in his chelsea grave
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by 1025: 4:10pm On Nov 08, 2010
i think it will be nice for siasia to convert mikel to a striker as that will ensure his scoring goals for him.
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Tubebase(m): 4:23pm On Nov 08, 2010
PLEASE!!! I don't like arguing football cos it doesn't pay esp when u're not a football analyst but this is simple logic here,

If you teach a kid how to solve quadratic equations and he becomes the best in it, Then u go on to teach him Surds but he forgets quadratic eqn, Thats not a good student!!!
Everyone keeps blaming Mourinho or Chelsea. But i'll give 'em credit. The defensive qualities was supposed to give him something extra AN EDGE, make him a better player but reverse is the case. I don't think Mikel is even among top 10 defensive midfielders in d prem. Or top 20 in d world.
So he should dig for the "lost skill" it's still in him i believe. And Siasia should use him as a pure DM till he's back to his old AM status. But i doubt it. Mikel has grown really arrogant over the years to his own undoing. He's needs to humble himself. Wish him the best!
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by toluxa1(m): 4:26pm On Nov 08, 2010
I am tired of all these Mikel talk. This Issue has been sooo much talked about that the Matter is even afraid to be talked about again. What I discoverd lately is that many of the people who critisise Mikel don't even watch chelsea games frequently. They just hear about the game or see the scores so they can't even understand Mikel's contribution to the team. As far as I am concerned Mikel was the Second Best player yesterday (even though we lost). He was totally in charge of the mid field especially in the second half. I no dey talk again sef
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Tubebase(m): 4:27pm On Nov 08, 2010
PLEASE!!! I don't like arguing football cos it doesn't pay esp when u're not a football analyst but this is simple logic here,

If you teach a kid how to solve quadratic equations and he becomes the best in it, Then u go on to teach him Surds but he forgets quadratic eqn, Thats not a good student!!!
Everyone keeps blaming Mourinho or Chelsea. But i'll give 'em credit. The defensive qualities was supposed to give him something extra AN EDGE, make him a better player but reverse is the case. I don't think Mikel is even among top 10 defensive midfielders in d prem. Or top 20 in d world. Top notch DMs possess some skill plus their grit. Eg. Patrick Viera, Esteban Cambiasso, Micheal Essien, Sebastian Veron n loads of others.
So he should dig for the "lost skill" it's still in him i believe. And Siasia should use him as a pure DM till he's back to his old AM status. But i doubt it. Mikel has grown really arrogant over the years to his own undoing. He's needs to humble himself. Wish him the best!
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by Tubebase(m): 4:29pm On Nov 08, 2010

Everyone keeps blaming Mourinho or Chelsea. But i'll give 'em credit. The defensive qualities was supposed to give him something extra AN EDGE, make him a better player but reverse is the case. I don't think Mikel is even among top 10 defensive midfielders in d prem. Or top 20 in d world. Top notch DMs possess some skill plus their grit. Eg. Patrick Viera, Esteban Cambiasso, Micheal Essien, Sebastian Veron n loads of others.
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by comechop(m): 4:33pm On Nov 08, 2010
lol

are you the one paying him?
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by rikamann: 4:35pm On Nov 08, 2010
Mr. Siasia,
Now I know you understand football and will surely impact on Eagles. MOURINHO destroyed MIKEL! You don't convert a natural offensive player to a defensive ball passer, if you do, you destroy the player. Argentina will never allow anyone to convert Messi to a defensive player just because he can hold on to the ball. Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldinho and their likes can't be defensive 'ballers otherwise you make football uninteresting.
Makelele, Vierra, Essien are natural defensive 'ballers with killer instincts and Mikel can never be in their class. I can go on and on.
Most Naija just sit down to watch the 'over rated' premier league, it is colonialism. Once a colony always a colony unless you liberate yourself.
The two talented 'ballers in Eagles today are Mikel and Obasi after the retired Kanu. Others are average players.
Thank you NAIRA FORUM.
Re: Chelsea Have Ruined My Mikel – Siasia by 1025: 4:37pm On Nov 08, 2010

If you teach a kid how to solve quadratic equations and he becomes the best in it,  Then u go on to teach him Surds but he forgets quadratic eqn,  Thats not a good student!!!
Everyone keeps blaming Mourinho or Chelsea. But i'll give 'em credit. The defensive qualities was supposed to give him something extra AN EDGE, make him a better player but reverse is the case. I don't think Mikel is even among top 10 defensive midfielders in d prem. Or top 20 in d world.

@Tubebase,
do u know good coaches can convert players to the best position they will need him depending on his formation?
henry was converted by wenger. drogba was converted at marsaille and a lot of uncountable players have gone through this process so why is mikel's a very loud one.
if siasia made mikel an attacking midfielder to suit his team then, mourinho converted mikel to DM to suit his own team, now that siasia is back to coach mikel, he can as well convert mikel to a striker.
nigeria from all indications are not suffereing defensive problems like they are suffering attacking issues but nobody cares about the team rather everybody is talking abt mikel.
soon, it will be difficult to differentiate mikel from the super eagles. maybe mikel was the edge siasia had over keshi that warranted the NFF to name him coach.
if mikel is not good enough, siasia shld look for ppl with better qualities as long as he gives us the results we so much needed.
chelsea is paying mikel for whatever he is doing for them and as such has power over the decission of where they want him to play.
telling mikel to quit chelsea is like asking goodluck jonathan to quit presidency for local govt chairman.
siasia shld better go into action and stay away from the press otherwise he will destroy his carrier.
siasia must understand that like his fellow nigerian coaches like eguavon and amodu, they can only coach in nigeria so let him give it his best.
nigeria is such a big market for siasia to get any type of players he wants at least my father can play in the attacking role for him.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Globacom Premier League: The Nigerian Football League / Road to World Cup 2010 / Mikel Disappointed Me But I Wont Punish Him - Keshi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.