Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,792 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament (29611 Views)

Border Closure: Local Rice Varieties Now Rule Markets / 'Border Closure Exposes Nigeria's Deficiency In Local Rice Production' / Border Closure: Benin, Niger Economies Under Pressure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by bluefilm: 8:42am On Oct 16, 2019
LadySarah:

shocked.The woman was aware.She said she will pick the stones.Her husband absconded leaving 6 children for her so no choice but to manage it.

Story sad
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Pacesetter123(m): 8:42am On Oct 16, 2019
chris51:
It's a lie that buyers shun local rice.
People are rushing it. Find out from dealers. Our local rice is more nutritious and tastier.
The only bad thing about our local sand is the sand. The sand aspect has reduced tremendously.
Please let's buy our own
Not only de sand particles dat is de prob,but de skyrocketed price aslso.It discourages consumers.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by holocron: 8:42am On Oct 16, 2019
tiredoflife:

Oga our stable foods were never rice
Rice was introduced by the British into our menu
We had cassava as our stable food
Rice started coming into our food in the early 50s

Cassava too was introduced by the British from the west Indies. It is not indigenous.

The staple food was the king of crops - Yam.

Worst comes to worst, we can return to it. All na carbohydrates.

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by ahahnow: 8:43am On Oct 16, 2019
carbon1224:
The stone is actually the problem with the Nigerian rice if it’s stone free then it’s okay

Brother loud or for those mumus to hear abeg.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by SheikhMuniru(m): 8:46am On Oct 16, 2019
Not Only The Stones In Nigeria Rice, Another Major Problems Are Too Much Starch Which Can Cause Diseases Like Back Pains (Jedi-Jedi), Cancer, Diabetes And Encyclophomozic Epileptic
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by suco01(m): 8:49am On Oct 16, 2019
chris51:
It's a lie that buyers shun local rice.
People are rushing it. Find out from dealers. Our local rice is more nutritious and tastier.
The only bad thing about our local sand is the sand. The sand aspect has reduced tremendously.
Please let's buy our own

Madam no kill be na. which local rice is more nutritious and tastier.

rice wey no get taste at all, some dey carry sand and stone. rice wet dey stick together.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by eternityk: 8:51am On Oct 16, 2019
backnbeta:
The Millers should be more conscious of the effect of poorly processed rice, bi ko! Because we want to eat naija to grow the economy, we must now eat stone and dust particles?
Someone needs to watch over the consumers here, please! Besides, the local rice seem to be unreasonably priced compared to the stone-free foreign rice undecided

Thanks to Igbemo rice from Ekiti, that's what I've been eating long before the border closure undecided
Is the igbemo rice processed by a rice mill in ekiti
And is that rice farm large
Is it very popular in ekiti?
I'm from ekiti ,so I'm curious
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by maasoap(m): 8:51am On Oct 16, 2019
carbon1224:
The stone is actually the problem with the Nigerian rice if it’s stone free then it’s okay

Some don't have stones at all. The price is the major factor. Why would they double the price in less than a month? Were they not making profit selling at the old price? Greed is the nature of every business man and woman in Nigeria. No patriotism, no nothing. If the price of imported rice is increasing for the reasons we all knew, must the price of local rice be increased too?

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Numerouno94(m): 8:54am On Oct 16, 2019
tomakint:
The madness in the land is unparallel at least this i can confirm almost every time. What is the point of closing border to a neater, stone-free and better parboiled foreign rice when your have not perfected the art of producing quality rice and in larger volume only for a useless and lying government to just rush and close up the borders in their usual mumu way of saying "we want to encourage local patronage of our local rice production" when our annual consumption rates of over 7 million metric tonnes far supercedes our annual production rates of about 4.7 million metric tonnes. The question is, who still practise "protectionism policy in this modern age"?

ur d only nairalander dat made a sensible comment in this thread.God bless u.
I dey vex wit sum dimwit comments here,buh i no wan insult anybody this mornin cos my students re waiting 4 me.

3 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Thomthom(m): 8:56am On Oct 16, 2019
Aonkuuse:
And these people that are rejecting local rice are the ones that will be insulting government everyday for not establishing Industries for them as if, if government does that they will patronize it. Most of packaged rice here is free of stones I don't know where the complaint is from. All my life I've been eating local rice but I think I'm okay with that
Bros no be by force to chop local rice if u v been eating local rice in all your life does not mean that evry body should eat local rice.... The stone wey dey local rice no be here no vex bros
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 16, 2019
Abakaliki rice is very good.
No stone and I can remember when it was compared to cap rice. They have really come a long way.

How good is the recently introduced coscharis rice?

Has anybody tested it?
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by 9jaRealist: 8:56am On Oct 16, 2019
wacuc0:
Can you here you self.
Other countries did this and succeeded you are hear saying you will eat their rice.
The rice of now is better than rice of 10years ago and the rice in 2years will be far better than what we have here now. This is the only way to solve unemployment. You can not invest if your people blindly reject your product. The bad products of China 20years ago has now made them world economic powers. For me I eat local rice and no stones, where you people are getting stone-rice is something we need to address. Just do your best to have a free stone local rice because they are available many places.

Sadly, that’s UNLIKELY to be the case... sad

If local rice today was better than it was 10 years ago...
It’s because local producers were COMPETING against foreign rice imports.

By closing the border, the govt has created a CAPTIVE market for local rice...
The problem with captive markets (with we consumers as effectively PRISONERS) is that there’s no competition and no incentive to improve.
>

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Thomthom(m): 8:58am On Oct 16, 2019
backnbeta:
The Millers should be more conscious of the effect of poorly processed rice, bi ko! Because we want to eat naija to grow the economy, we must now eat stone and dust particles?
Someone needs to watch over the consumers here, please! Besides, the local rice seem to be unreasonably priced compared to the stone-free foreign rice undecided

Thanks to Igbemo rice from Ekiti, that's what I've been eating long before the border closure undecided
Bros thank u for this comment.. buy Nigeria Buy Nigeria no mean say person go come dey chop stone... even people wey they tell us to buy local rice no dey chop am

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Thomthom(m): 9:00am On Oct 16, 2019
tomakint:
The madness in the land is unparallel at least this i can confirm almost every time. What is the point of closing border to a neater, stone-free and better parboiled foreign rice when your have not perfected the art of producing quality rice and in larger volume only for a useless and lying government to just rush and close up the borders in their usual mumu way of saying "we want to encourage local patronage of our local rice production" when our annual consumption rates of over 7 million metric tonnes far supercedes our annual production rates of about 4.7 million metric tonnes. The question is, who still practise "protectionism policy in this modern age"?
You go school bros.. u no waist ur papa money

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Mrjo(m): 9:01am On Oct 16, 2019
MetaPhysical:
Take that rice across border, rebag it into sacks in chinese lettering, bring it back in and double the price.....sit down watch as we go rush am.

I love Nigeria
is not true, most consumer know what they are looking for even you scam them tomorrow they will avoid that particular one
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by 9jaRealist: 9:02am On Oct 16, 2019
maasoap:
Some don't have stones at all. The price is the major factor. Why would they double the price in less than a month? Were they not making profit selling at the old price? Greed is the nature of every business man and woman in Nigeria. No patriotism, no nothing. If the price of imported rice is increasing for the reasons we all knew, must the price of local rice be increased too?

Because, no thanks to your government’s ill-advised border closure...
There’s fewer rice in the market, and also there are no alternatives (ie, foreign rice).

>

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Empredboy(m): 9:04am On Oct 16, 2019
sassysure:
Rice farming is very expensive.
Are they ready to invest?
Good quality rice to plant, processing machines etc. Its not just buying acres of land.

So also local beans. I was saying that our beans have improved as the stones are getting fewer until I discovered that we import beans too.

U see tomatoes that look like tomatoe jos in Lagos and lo, they are imported.
if you see Ghana tomatoes you will eat it raw. Non of our agricultural product are of international standard.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by otokx(m): 9:05am On Oct 16, 2019
carbon1224:

not just the stones but sand and weevils, the grains are not polished well and long, when you cook, it tends to get tuworised.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by CyberWolf: 9:06am On Oct 16, 2019
I may not like president Buhari or APC but you see this border closure, that’s his best achievement so far and I support it 100%. How are we going to grow and develop when we allow everything inside? If we want the country to develop, we should first of all conquer hunger and there is no other way than this. I don’t know about other local rice but Abakaliki rice is stone free, we have many special milling machines that destone the rice after milling so that’s good to go. They say necessity is the mother of invention.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by wacuc0: 9:06am On Oct 16, 2019
Do we know that Mama's Pride and Mama's Choice brands of rice is Nigerian product? People who are talking of stones stones, have you eaten this rice and get stone? Please eat your mama soup nothing do am.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Olami112: 9:07am On Oct 16, 2019
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Olami112: 9:07am On Oct 16, 2019
Skyfornia:
The border remain closed....Our forefathers ate local rice and lived healthy.

We must eat the rice ,
I don't just understand Nigerian
And you will see most of this people rejecting this rice are parent who sent there children to school to study Agriculture science or so.
Instead of them to see this as an opportunity, they kept on rejecting opportunity.

So why do we have to study Agriculture in higher institution?
Sorry oh, is it a curse for Nigerian to always reject our own things
It is a curse for us not to appreciate our own
Anyone who did this for us is really bad person
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by eagleeye2: 9:08am On Oct 16, 2019
Aonkuuse:
And these people that are rejecting local rice are the ones that will be insulting government everyday for not establishing Industries for them as if, if government does that they will patronize it. Most of packaged rice here is free of stones I don't know where the complaint is from. All my life I've been eating local rice but I think I'm okay with that
Let your government patronize Nigerian Education system
Nigerian Health services
Nigerian made cars
Nigerian tourist attractions
then you can preach for the masses.

2 Likes

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by eagleeye2: 9:10am On Oct 16, 2019
MetaPhysical:
Take that rice across border, rebag it into sacks in chinese lettering, bring it back in and double the price.....sit down watch as we go rush am.

I love Nigeria
The same way your APC stalwarts jump on a plane and travel abroad for Medicare only to be treated by Nigerian professionals over there.

1 Like

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by eternityk: 9:12am On Oct 16, 2019
rotile247:

Wao! Igbemo rice! You made me remember my schooling days in Ado-Ekiti while staying with family friends from Igbemo Ekiti. Their rice is top-notch and stone free. What is government doing about quality and value for money on locally produced products. Government needs to assist these farmers in their processing and storage
Is that igbemo rice really good and do they have rice mill
How large is their farm?
I'm from ekiti
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by piippa(m): 9:13am On Oct 16, 2019
Aonkuuse:

Are the processing plants made in heaven that government cannot provide so they could produce quality rice? I ate that rubbish yesterday and today and its appalling
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Crowny11(f): 9:15am On Oct 16, 2019
here in Ogun state have been eating local rice since the border closure palaver and I can say the rice is the best
it stone free.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by tiredoflife(m): 9:15am On Oct 16, 2019
holocron:

Cassava too was introduced by the British from the west Indies. It is not indigenous.

The staple food was the king of crops - Yam.

Worst comes to worst, we can return to it. All na carbohydrates.

Oh cassava
I didnt know
How come we threw yam away so fast
Ponded yam is sweeter na shocked
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Thonee(m): 9:16am On Oct 16, 2019
My wife decided to buy local rice but ends up blowing chaff plus the headache of selecting stones. Local rice is always second choice even for Buhari and co.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 16, 2019
Empredboy:
if you see Ghana tomatoes you will eat it raw. Non of our agricultural product are of international standard.
I know. Used to buy them in Lagos.

Sometimes,I buy one tomatoe here where I stay more than 200naira equivalent. Yes, it's that costly but very big like very big onion. Foodstuffs are all yr round.

The African shop I patronize is filled with Ghanaian food stuffs and believe u me, I'm very ashamed. Nigerians here go straight to Ghana to import cos we don't have anything. U ask them why, they will tell u is cheaper to import from the producers than middleman Nigeria and besides govt is very sceptical of anything from Nigeria.

We are 100% dependent country. If the govt is serious, it will start from herself and the citizens will follow.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by nuelyoyo(m): 9:19am On Oct 16, 2019
MetaPhysical:

I love Nigeria
it's not about the packaging, if you like put American logo. When you see local rice, you'll know it.
Re: Border Closure: Nigerians Shun Local Rice, Sellers Lament by Litmus: 9:23am On Oct 16, 2019
Why are the Americans and British risking earthquakes, polluting their water tables, disrupting long established communities’, fracking for oil and gas when the international market is awash with cheap oil and gas?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Isa Pantami: I Haven’t Bought A Single House Anywhere Since I Became Minister / $9.3m: APC Reps Walk Out During House Debate / Panicky PDP Leaders Meet Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.