Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,954 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User (51741 Views)

Buhari Defends $1.9 Billion Nigeria-Niger Republic Railway Project / Smuggling Booms At Nigeria, Niger Border, Despite Border Closure / Rivers Governorship Election Updates By Governor Wike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by Viking007(m): 9:40am On Oct 19, 2019
Starboytwo:
I knew after the xenophobic experience with south Africa when they disrespected us, something must be done... Something must be corrected asap... Imagine telling NIGERIANS to go home(cuz house no good) now all hands must be on deck to redeem the image of the country...

Let's close the border to achieve self sufficiency, most of the things we import can be produced locally.. food products etc...

Naija shall be great... Just watch..
The next bold step should be exiting ECOWAS. Let's do a brexit NigExit.

2 Likes

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by Augiiee(m): 9:40am On Oct 19, 2019
LegoxMetahuman:
what is border supposed to look like? paradise?

show me a beautiful border.?
US-Mexico border

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by babytoun: 9:41am On Oct 19, 2019
Until I see night pictures I don't believe

Real smuggling happens at night

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by kudinkarfe: 9:41am On Oct 19, 2019
The best decision taken by this government.....nice one.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by Jaqenhghar: 9:42am On Oct 19, 2019
TheMainMan:
cool... So almost all this small africa countries depends on us undecided
Indeed. Keep telling yourselves that. Apart from that meeting with the Ghanaian I havent seen or heard of any activity thay shows they are suffering.
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by able20(m): 9:42am On Oct 19, 2019
iswallker:

Mexico and the USA have what a border should look like.. grin
Yeye boy must every border look like that.
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by LegoxMetahuman: 9:42am On Oct 19, 2019
Augiiee:

US-Mexico border
again?

what is special about this?
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by Jaqenhghar: 9:43am On Oct 19, 2019
Olalan:
The closure would no doubt force the neighbouring countries to take a stand against smuggling cause it's their economy that's worst hit
They have still not taken a stand. I would assume if their economy is really hard hit it will show somehow
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by SaintLucia: 9:43am On Oct 19, 2019
mgbadike81:
This article was sponsored by the government, people be wise.
I'm very sure you are a notorious smuggler.

2 Likes

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by Swerveking14: 9:43am On Oct 19, 2019
Anything can be you to demarcate two countries from each other..There's nothing bad in using a rope, more so there are still more ridiculous and funny borders around the world, Google Belgium and Netherlands border..you go laugh ehn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by Barryseal: 9:44am On Oct 19, 2019
If Nigeria was an export oriented economy, the border closure would have resulted in massive job losses because companies who have vibrant market across the continent would have suffered severe losses and left with no option than to lay off staffs.
The border closure is a show of shame and exposure to Nigeria's ailing industrial sector.

2 Likes

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by CanadaOrBust: 9:47am On Oct 19, 2019
Neptu2 is a female?! Who would’a thunk it
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by able20(m): 9:48am On Oct 19, 2019
iswallker:

Mexico and the USA have what a border should look like.. grin
Yeye boy even with high tech border the Mexicans still flood the US with drugs, must everywhere be like that border.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by SamOyovwi: 9:48am On Oct 19, 2019
Na unity we dey talk for here. We dey throw away billions dey go these small countries
engrchykae:
British people mapping out their partitioned Africa while Europe is connected with railroads,foolish Africans are cutting it ourselves off.
Truth is that the west doesn't want a United Nigeria or Africa
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by ordbrandco: 9:48am On Oct 19, 2019
DonBenny77:

Few months ago Ghanaian authorities locked up shops and businesses owned in gh. That aside Ghanaian have bullied us enough. Revenge is served.
We have them by their balls now.

Lol only in your wild imaginations.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by naptu2: 9:48am On Oct 19, 2019
CanadaOrBust:
Neptu2 is a female?! Who would’a thunk it

Hahahahahahahahahahaha
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by okewumi: 9:50am On Oct 19, 2019
IamCharles123:
So na the border be this

If official road border is this, just imagine unofficial places without armed custom personnel.

With social media, this country can be great again

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by Starboytwo(m): 9:50am On Oct 19, 2019
Viking007:
The next bold step should be exiting ECOWAS. Let's do a brexit NigExit.
baba, I'm 100% supporting the idea...

We have lost our respect gan... Azin, a country inside this Africa would maim, kill, loot Nigerians.... Small countries telling us we should come and be going...

Embarrassment was an understatement, I even suspected all this our neighbors self, they don't mind at all, yet their trailers are full everyday crossing into the country doing business.... Dem dey mad...

1 Like

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by BlackDonald: 9:52am On Oct 19, 2019
naptu2:
A Twitter user’s report about the closure of the Nigeria-Niger border.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge Fan Acct @saratu

Ok, let’s do a thread on my time at the Nigeria-Niger border at Babban Mutum village in Katsina yesterday.

Ok, my images aren’t sending so will try when I’m back to civilization.

Anyway. Quick disclosure: this is one border, and I won’t extrapolate further than what I saw. There’s another border in Jibia, for example, but it was far from where I was. I had work there, too, but tired

One of the first things you notice in Babban Mutum: trucks everywhere. Everywhere. Loaded to the hilt with pretty much every household item you can think of.

Household items from those little plastic kettles people use to pray to buckets and plastics, to food to... everything. Just sitting there. Parked and abandoned by their drivers. My contact in the village told me these things have been stuck “there for a long while.”

We drove up to the border gate —if you can call it that. There’s two points where you can see a rope loosely tied to two blocks. One is on the Niger side, one on the Nigeria side. (I’ll post a photo when my internet lets me).

It is manned by Nigerian Customs officials though. They let me take a photo of their office. I teased them about how bored they must be because there’s absolutely nothing going on in the area now. they laughed and just said, “Everywhere is just dry.”

The closure of the border has been pretty hard on the local economy. I asked a fruit seller how business is, and he just shook his head and said, “what can we do?”

But here’s the thing: tough as it all is on their local economy, nobody I talked to is necessarily opposed to the blockade. “Before, when you pass, you just see big trailers passing with Rice. It is making people not eat our local rice.” Buhari’s messaging has been effective.

Another person said to me: “you see these trailers? Everything these people have is because of Nigeria. We are a great country Wallahi. We just don’t see it. See all these their household items. Without us they’re suffering. Now their president will do what Buhari wants.”

People I spoke to understand the blockade as leverage over Niger, smart politics, even if with what they hope is short term pain for their people.

worth noting, though, is that, for many, Niger is simply their backyard. Some people’s farms pretty much straddle both countries. My hunch is it’s easy to cross in and out of Niger with smaller quantities products. If they stop you, you just say “I’m just coming from the farm”

Lastly, one of the drivers from the trucks (I’ll share a photo in a bit) is actually from the area. He tells me he’s hopeful of a deal soon. “This na my chop. So I no go want make the border just to dey like this for long.”

I’ll post photos I took as soon as they’ll send.

Ok, let’s try and send images again. This is me at the border.

Customs officials I met were lovely, and they very kindly let me take photos. I purposely didn’t take photos of any of the people I met.

There’s a whole queue of trucks just parked, full of plastics and household items waiting to cross

https://twitter.com/saratu/status/1185149612904140801

Na Naija We Dey oooo
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by somehow: 9:58am On Oct 19, 2019
babytoun:
Until I see night pictures I don't believe

Real smuggling happens at night
we are waiting for you
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by ngwababe(f): 9:58am On Oct 19, 2019
agarawu23:
I got your message. But your write up is terrible angry sad

I didn't get anything biko.
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by ifyalways(f): 9:59am On Oct 19, 2019
Smuggling activities happen at night

2 Likes

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by gbagyiza: 9:59am On Oct 19, 2019
whatisthetruth:

As in...

Two rusted barrels by the side of the road with one loose chain tied across.

I guess Nigeria is allergic to class on every level.

Everything about Nigeria is different.
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by adenigga(m): 10:00am On Oct 19, 2019
DonBenny77:

Few months ago Ghanaian authorities locked up shops and businesses owned in gh. That aside Ghanaian have bullied us enough. Revenge is served.

On point!

This week their high commissioner in Nigeria visited Aso Rock, to pacify Buhari to please open the borders, because their economy is suffering.

I just they laugh o!
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by naptu2: 10:02am On Oct 19, 2019
Apparently a lot of people do not know how Nairaland works.

1 Like

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by SenecaTheYonger: 10:03am On Oct 19, 2019
I never believed that most country depend on Nigeria like this til now. I always hear it, but now I believe. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by tayebest(m): 10:04am On Oct 19, 2019
naptu2:
Apparently a lot of people do not know how Nairaland works.

Ahswearr cheesy
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by SenecaTheYonger: 10:05am On Oct 19, 2019
naptu2:

I didn't write it (that's why it's in quotes. When you see a Nairaland post that's highlighted in this way: , know that it is a quotation). These are tweets by the Twitter user and they are posted exactly the same way that the Twitter user tweeted them (I never ever alter quotes).

They see the [quote, /quote] everyday, for years, but still don't know what it means. grin grin grin
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by SenecaTheYonger: 10:06am On Oct 19, 2019
Go back to Togo or wherever you came from. grin grin grin
Barryseal:
If Nigeria was an export oriented economy, the border closure would have resulted in massive job losses because companies who have vibrant market across the continent would have suffered severe losses and left with no option than to lay off staffs.
The border closure is a show of shame and exposure to Nigeria's ailing industrial sector.
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by Eteka1(m): 10:06am On Oct 19, 2019
TheMainMan:
cool... So almost all this small africa countries depends on us undecided
Even the big one like South Africa. If we banish all their big multinational companies, they will beg.
Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 19, 2019
Giftexx:

Lol
But no driver dare pass through
In fact the Nigerian Customs are trying to tempt some trucks attempt to cross without permission so Nigeria can legally consficate their trucks and goods grin

1 Like

Re: The Closure Of The Nigeria - Niger Border Updates By A Twitter User by jaido09: 10:12am On Oct 19, 2019
DonBenny77:

You know where Ghana dey for map? You’ll go through Benin Republic then Togo before crossing into Ghana. So I no think this boarder closure get any direct effect on Ghana.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

When I Was Working In The Southeast I Saw What The Igbo Could Do - Akinwumi / Governors Wike, Makinde, Ortom, Ugwuanyi Visit Atiku / Atiku Wins Okrika LGA In Rivers, Despite Wike’s Opposition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.