Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,033 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:48 AM

Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse (40759 Views)

Crescent University, Ogun, Probes Gay Student Over Sex With Fellow Undergraduate / Goodluck Jonathan At Gregory University Convocation In Uturu (Photos) / Parents Beat & Disgrace Head Teacher, Over Poor Results In Kenya (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Islie: 6:13pm On Oct 19, 2019
By Ishola Oludare 

A female journalist reporting for the Ogun State Broadcasting Corporation (OGBC), Abeokuta, was on Saturday beaten blue and black by angry parents during the 11th convocation ceremony of Crescent University.

Crisis ensued when the journalist, Jumoke Onafowora, struggled with the parents to gain access into the convocation hall to perform her official duty.

Onafowora, who was a member of Ogun Deputy Governor’s Press Crew, was attacked as the unhappy parents tore her clothes; protesting their inability to enter a hall where their children were being convocated.

DAILY POST gathered that the management of Crescent University had denied parents access into the hall where graduands were seated; claiming the hall was mainly for graduating students and invited guests.

Angered by their inability to be with their children in the convocation hall, the parents, it was learnt, stood at the entrance, manned by stern-looking security personnel, to protest what they described as “poor arrangement” on the part of the university; they banged on the door, yelled and rained curses on the university for refusing them access into the convocation hall despite the huge amount of money they had been paying as school fees.

Recounting her ordeal, Onafowora said: “I was in the convoy of the Ogun Deputy Governor, Engr Naimot Salako-Oyedele, who was in Crescent University Abeokuta to represent Gov Dapo Abiodun at its convocation ceremony.

“I had initially entered the hall with the Deputy Governor before I later went out to fetch my recorder from the vehicle.

“When I was trying to go back into the hall, a mammoth crowd of angry parents were at the door. They all wanted to go into the hall by force. But the security men at the door told them to stay away. They were so furious, raining curses on the management of the university.

“Because of the nature of my job, I struggled to go back into the hall. I squeezed myself that I managed to get to the door. That was when they said who am I. They said they would not allow me to enter that hall if they couldn’t do so.

“I told them I was a journalist. I showed them my identity card, but they said ‘how will an ordinary journalist enter the convocation hall when they who paid millions of naira on our children are not allowed to go in?’

“The security men, who already saw my face before, tried to open the door for me. That was when these irate parents dragged my neck. They started beating me. They tore my clothes. I lost my necklace. I was injured with their finger nails. There was nobody to rescue me as my colleagues were all in the hall.

“I suffered. I was just so unfortunate because those people vented their anger on me. I suffered for the sins of Crescent University. Their security men didn’t do anything to assist me. Nobody to protect me. It’s sad.”

Some of the dignitaries at the convocation ceremony include the Proprietor/Founder of Crescent University, Justice Bola Ajibola; the Chancellor and Convocation Chairman, Alafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi; the Pro-chancellor, Emir of Kazaure, Alhaji Najib Hussaini Adamu; the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ibraheem Gbajabiamila among others.

https://dailypost.ng/2019/10/19/ogun-crescent-university-convocation-turns-violent-angry-parents-beat-journalist-curse-mgt/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Nukilia: 6:47pm On Oct 19, 2019
grin grin grin What a disorganized society!

79 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 19, 2019
Mehn!!!

Lack of parental decency....

Why na? Must this people show themselves.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by greatbrian(m): 9:14pm On Oct 19, 2019
Half the truth is often a great lie. They can't just Start making you into a punching bad without you acting AS a catalyst. When you are ready to explain the full story and how you Insulted them, you can check back.

170 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Sunofgod(m): 9:18pm On Oct 19, 2019
It is well.... journalist ID badge no dey carry weight!

2 Likes

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Eagun: 9:19pm On Oct 19, 2019
Okay Good
Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Starboytwo(m): 9:19pm On Oct 19, 2019
How we wan take know weda na your mouth put you for trouble, or u think we go just believe you like that...

No picture of beating, or blue black or even swollen lip, and you right epistle...

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Kennitrust(m): 9:19pm On Oct 19, 2019
You
Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by ursullalinda(f): 9:19pm On Oct 19, 2019
Never heard of this Uni oh.... they are so disorganised.... parents should mind where they send their children, education is not a must

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Kennitrust(m): 9:20pm On Oct 19, 2019
Good
Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by ElheQ: 9:20pm On Oct 19, 2019
Wtf
Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Kennitrust(m): 9:20pm On Oct 19, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by StrikeBack(m): 9:20pm On Oct 19, 2019
Yawa don gas
Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by ngwababe(f): 9:20pm On Oct 19, 2019
LOL.
Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by GGsy: 9:20pm On Oct 19, 2019
It's alright

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by realestniggah: 9:20pm On Oct 19, 2019
Nukilia:
grin grin grin What a disorganized society!

I swear..

Everywhere chaos

7 Likes

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Kendumazy(m): 9:20pm On Oct 19, 2019
Mheen
Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by TheMainMan: 9:21pm On Oct 19, 2019
grin grin grin

but parents are normally not allowed into the auditorium during convocation na

na d money wey dem dey pain them

7 Likes

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 19, 2019
So many unknown universities in Nigeria. There graduates end up being unknown.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Eraddray(m): 9:21pm On Oct 19, 2019
k
Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by TEYA: 9:21pm On Oct 19, 2019
They were even cursing! End time parents!

2 Likes

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by alphaconde(m): 9:21pm On Oct 19, 2019
So much convocations this weekend next weekend matriculation at the end no work
Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by JoeMaddog: 9:22pm On Oct 19, 2019
You must think us a fool. Better tell us how you're feeling like a boss cos you're in the entourage of the deputy guvnor wife and those mama decided to give you home training that you lack.
Ọmọ ti ko bá ní ẹ̀kọ́ ilé, ìta ni wọn à ti kọ

10 Likes

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 9:22pm On Oct 19, 2019
Cha, this one na bad energy ooo

But I still wonder how u take get the strength to even name all the dignitaries wey present!!!

3 Likes

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by tunjijones(m): 9:22pm On Oct 19, 2019
What a terrible day for the journalist. When people say shit happens... This is what it means.

Its a pity u were at the wrong place at d wrong time

2 Likes

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by olisaEze(m): 9:24pm On Oct 19, 2019
greatbrian:
Half the truth is often a great lie. They can't just Start making you into a punching bad without you acting AS a catalyst. When you are ready to explain the full story and how you Insulted them, you can check back.
Gbam!!! Ure on point sir! grin

6 Likes

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Jobio1(f): 9:24pm On Oct 19, 2019
That’s was a wrong arrangement actually.
Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Endtimebro: 9:24pm On Oct 19, 2019
Op, there is nothing like convocated,

1 Like

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by chukzyfcbb: 9:25pm On Oct 19, 2019
naso that useless school Madonna dey do me when I go visiting.

They will stop me at the gate, under hot sun no where to sit after coming several kilometres to visit someone.

You find parents, brothers, sisters wailing at the gate wondering why they can't even be given a place to sit.

Naso e dey be, they are just after the money.

2 Likes

Re: Crescent University Convocation Turns Violent; Parents Beat Journalist, Curse by Angelfrost(m): 9:25pm On Oct 19, 2019
greatbrian:

We know she poked the bear... Who she wan deceive??!...

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UNILAG Law Attendance Sheet Used To Sell Suya Causes Stir Online / Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions / UNILORIN Student Who Won A Master's Scholarship Abroad (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.