Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,806 members, 7,802,579 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:40 PM

Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps (27625 Views)

NBA Rejects Agreement To Let UK Lawyers Practise In Nigeria / Osun Lawyers In Suit Cutting Grasses (Photos) / Lawyers Help Zone And Hang Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by OyinO: 7:41am On Oct 21, 2019
The wig wearing custom was stolen from Kemetic Egypt by Europeans and sold to other Africans through colonialism just like Christianity and Islam.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 21, 2019
Paying homage to their colonial masters. Bunch of slaves.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by mu2sa2: 7:46am On Oct 21, 2019
Xstremebj:
na dem culture jhor,jos d wey engineers dey wear helmet
No bros, engineers wear helmet on site for protection in the event of accident. In Nigeria lawyers inherited the wig from the English, but in England today the use of wig is relegated. So, if you're a lawyer and somebody says you're "kolomental" abeg no vex.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Mpcoll001: 7:47am On Oct 21, 2019
sinceraconcept:
]Everything the whites do,Nigerians must follow like fools share. I I like the way Nigerians still holding on to it like"you brought it to us, you don't use it anymore but we won't drop it"
the wig doesn't make sense.. People should be allowed to dress officially (most especially in our native dress) and stop looking like a cock
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by PrinceGallant: 7:56am On Oct 21, 2019
We all agreed it is a copy-action from our colonial masters. However, if a lawyer refused to wear wig, our people would tag him or her a deviant, especially if the person was a muslim, he would be tagged as terrorist.

We will soon be alright.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Venerable612(m): 7:57am On Oct 21, 2019
Olayishade:
Lawyers wearing wig to court depends on the jurisdiction of the court they are going to
There is no need for a lawyer to wear a wig if he is having a case in high court,appeal court and other lower courts
But if he has a case in Supreme Court then it’s a must for him to put his wig
Another reason why lawyers put on wig is to dinstinguish between a senior advocate that is a SAN from a junior lawyer(ordinary Barristers)
SAN are to put on a wig in a court to show that they are senior advocate of Nigeria

This is not correct.

I will understand if you are not a lawyer. But if you are, then this is disappointing.

Nigerian Lawyers have to put on their regulation wear (Black suit, usually with Baristers jacket and trousers, with white collarless shirts etc.) and a wig and gown - in all the SUPERIOUR COURTS OF RECORD (High Courts and above e.g.Court of Appeal, National Industrial Courts, Supreme Courts etc.)

But in the Lower Courts (e.g. Magistrate Courts, Customary Courts, Area Courts, Sharia Courts)... a lawyer may not necessarily put on the regulation wear and wig and gown.

In fact, if you visit the Magistrate Courts, where 80% of Nigeria cases starts from - you would hardly see a Lawyer in wig and gown. They are all in Suits (doesn’t even have to be black... but can be dark blue suit and Dark grey suit).

Most people on this thread are not lawyers - but they have been displaying their ignorance to the world. Even in tribunals... the wig and gown may not be adorned.

Bottom line is that if Is a regulation wear. The same way Doctors put on White robes in the Hospital instead of Black robes. Same way engineers and military men have their regulation wears.

Is there a problem with that?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Nobody: 8:06am On Oct 21, 2019
Lawyers are liars ...so that they keep on hiding the truth...and keep presenting deceiving evidence....lawyers ways are not straight .they are trained how to defend both true and lie...a lot of lawyers will not make heaven
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by jboycrb(m): 8:07am On Oct 21, 2019
olaboy33:
It was simply a British tradition which shows a sense of power and and respect for law.

In 2007, a suit was filed in UK, challenging the dress code, it won, after then some adjustments were made.

American judges and attorneys don't wear wigs in court again. Trust Nigerians to always follow whatever comes from 'above' blindly.

Some also say judges wear long wigs to make It more difficult for criminal defendants to identify them outside courtroom.

True talk, same way we are following Christianity now
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by AerialMapper: 8:07am On Oct 21, 2019
Kolo mentality...aka colonial influences

White hair is synonymous with wisdom unfortunately this does not hold for our judiciary
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Annie001: 8:09am On Oct 21, 2019
If you ask me na who I go ask
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Nobody: 8:14am On Oct 21, 2019
It represents Wisdom, as in Gray hair. But it was copied from the British.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by OmoOsanyin: 8:27am On Oct 21, 2019
It is quite funny, make them look like clowns. Supposed 'learned' folks still tied to the white man's apron. It's very ridiculous.

If a wig must be worn, why a blonde wig and not a black wig?

Colonial mentality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Sagemind(m): 8:27am On Oct 21, 2019
uuzba:
Some sort of inferiority complex thing
They're just copying white people.

White people have gone beyond that self.
Watch the latest law series and movies. You might just see only the judge wearing it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by clemz85(m): 8:58am On Oct 21, 2019
op, DM me, I will tell you a secret

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Kevinsamba: 9:07am On Oct 21, 2019
Still sure u don't miss law shocked?
godwinkessi:

Online the only place y’all talk shit without knowing who you’re talking to sad That’s how one broke boy was calling me broke. My brother I get 2 masters degrees and I pay way more than 40 people
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:26am On Oct 21, 2019
Dandsome:
Op is it LAWYERS or LAWYWERS?

Probably the spelling is the reason.

Before someone edits it and make me look like a trouble maker, see proof below.
He obviously made a mistake so why not ignore and just comment on the topic.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 21, 2019
Any small talk, they will say you're jealous. Jealous of what exactly! Are lawyers getting paid than an average administrative manager? Any small argument like this.... You're jealous.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Stillthebest: 10:16am On Oct 21, 2019
uuzba:
Some sort of inferiority complex thing
They're just copying white people.

But why do White lawyers do it?
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Adexonpoint(m): 10:28am On Oct 21, 2019
To avoid thunder strike on their heads for Lies

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by kirkwood: 10:44am On Oct 21, 2019
To hide poverty among lawyers. A lady with Brazilian hair of 500k must cover. A man with 500k worth of suit must cover it
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Yujin(m): 11:12am On Oct 21, 2019
Slonge22:
We just copied it senselessly from our colonial masters. Nothing more, nothing less.
Did you say 'colonial master's? Can you repeat those words again but carefully absorbing their meaning? A better word should be 'colonialists. As to your response proper, you were very correct.l
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Yujin(m): 11:13am On Oct 21, 2019
Slonge22:
We just copied it senselessly from our colonial masters. Nothing more, nothing less.
Did you say 'colonial master's? Can you repeat those words again but carefully absorbing their meaning? A better word should be 'colonialists. As to your response proper, you were very correct.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Cousin9999: 11:40am On Oct 21, 2019
Yujin:

Did you say 'colonial master's? Can you repeat those words again but carefully absorbing their meaning? A better word should be 'colonialists. As to your response proper, you were very correct.

Comments like that just reveal the person who wrote it is oyinbo. Remember that everyone on here, unfortunately, isn't black.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by solepager(m): 11:41am On Oct 21, 2019
akmath:
Hahaha GLO don do you strong thing.

Lol... Actually na Airtel
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Dontjay555: 12:17pm On Oct 21, 2019
Them for better Istvan close eye
olaboy33:
It was simply a British tradition which shows a sense of power and and respect for law.

In 2007, a suit was filed in UK, challenging the dress code, it won, after then some adjustments were made.

American judges and attorneys don't wear wigs in court again. Trust Nigerians to always follow whatever comes from 'above' blindly.

Some also say judges wear long wigs to make It more difficult for criminal defendants to identify them outside courtroom.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by BluntBoy(m): 12:49pm On Oct 21, 2019
Cousin9999:

They do it in India, Australia, and the UK.

From some of the Indian movies I have seen, it doesn't appear like they still wear wigs.

But for the UK, they now only wear wigs for criminal proceedings and ceremonies.

For instance, when our lawyers appeared before a tribunal during the Atiku vs Buhari case, UK lawyers would not have used wigs.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by mechanics(m): 1:19pm On Oct 21, 2019
It's part of their dressing as doctors can't do without a stethoscope.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by lollybee15(m): 2:06pm On Oct 21, 2019
Silly question. Is the wig not part of their uniforms? Wearing it or not wearing it is not made compulsory. It depends on how convenient one is.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Nosa111(m): 3:22pm On Oct 21, 2019
They just want to show they are wiser! Because people believe Elders with grey hair are wiser and more experienced.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by Cousin9999: 9:10pm On Oct 21, 2019
BluntBoy:

From some of the Indian movies I have seen, it doesn't appear like they still wear wigs.

But for the UK, they now only wear wigs for criminal proceedings and ceremonies.

For instance, when our lawyers appeared before a tribunal during the Atiku vs Buhari case, UK lawyers would not have used wigs.

Who really cares, oga? It's just a goofy wig. Mek dem wear if dem wan wear it.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by uuzba(m): 9:34pm On Oct 21, 2019
emrain:
Paying homage to their colonial masters. Bunch of slaves.
Well, what do you do?
England took 1000's of years to develop. They fought and broke their head till they wrote down all their laws. It is based on these laws their their justice system functions.

Nigeria as. Country is barely 100years old with us together under one leader. British that colonised us could not stress their self with our history/customs/ and multiple traditions. They just carried their home laws copy and paste on our head.
Don't kill, don't steal. ...etc. And all our lawyers and justice system wear British wig to signify the compliance to British law as foundation.
It will take another 1000 years for us to satisfactorily adjust the laws to truely reflect Nigeria as a Nation.

For now, I'm sure you can see all the injustice, confusion and jungle justice going on as a result of our confusion.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps by uuzba(m): 9:46pm On Oct 21, 2019
Cousin9999:

Who really cares, oga? It's just a goofy wig. Mek dem wear if dem wan wear it.
Dressing matters.
Though we should not judge people by apprerance, but appearance can shake you O.

Tell me you will not shake small if you open your front door and see this person standing looking at you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lady Quits Job Because Her Boss Calls Her "Sweetie" / Why Konga Sacks Workers Every Six Months / 10 Things Nobody Tells You...just Know It's Time To Quit Your Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.