Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,988 members, 7,803,274 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (113) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (329356 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by DAramis: 7:39am On Jan 11, 2022
GidiCars:

Chart me on here with what you want, I might be able to help you out.
The udemy paid account which you access materials and certificate for free

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 7:16am On Jan 12, 2022
Utonwanne:
Hello guys;
Please I need your help...

So I ordered HP Folio 9470; 8G RAM; 500GB

I was delivered with 4G RAM; 300GB; Corei5

My question now is if this Laptop can conveniently run all these Apps for Data Science?

For local environment when it comes to deep computation No sir.
You can always run some stuffs with the machine.
However you can always run your computation on cloud. There’s Azure or AWS or google Colab . The previous(Azure) is way better.

7 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Utonwanne(m): 5:13pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ejiod:

However you can always run your computation on cloud. There’s Azure or AWS or google Colab . The previous(Azure) is way better.

Thanks bro.

I have already sent it back.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Starkid3010(m): 6:24pm On Jan 12, 2022
Mac2016:

I'm interested.
I am also interested

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Sirwallace(m): 12:32am On Jan 13, 2022
ebixy:

What you listed above is the job of data analyst which is still included in the job of a data scientist. But data science goes beyond that, data science includes advanced statistics, predictive analytics, advanced object oriented programming, and using tools like hadoop, tensorflow and others. You will need knowledge of statistical modelling and algorithm because you will be dealing with very large data sets. You might also have to deal with machine learning, artificial intelligence, data mining etc

In summary, data analysis is a branch of data science.

Bro, you have a point. But in practice, Good knowledge of python and understanding of machine learning algorithm is what you need mostly in this space.

If you are doing deep learning, a lot of computational power is needed and trust me, that is not readilly available in most organizations in this country.

Only few are now moving their machine learning services to cloud environment. And even at that, many are still skeptical because of the payment plan.

And yeah, knowledge of statistics models is a must to Learn.

So If I were a newbie, I will focus on SQL, know python very well. Let Numpy and Pandas be your friend. Then understand the rudiment of traditional machine learning algorithms and how to optimize each algorithms with hyperparameter tuning and how to evaluate model performance.

Most industry problems you will see are mostly classification and regression problem and maybe a recommendation system (an unsupervised learning)

Deep learning can be an overkill in many cases. So focus on the above unless you have a GPU or TPU else, your system could crash.

See you guys at the top !!!!!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by ebixy(m): 10:31am On Jan 13, 2022
Sirwallace:

Bro, you have a point. But in practice, Good knowledge of python and understanding of machine learning algorithm is what you need mostly in this space.

If you are doing deep learning, a lot of computational power is needed and trust me, that is not readilly available in most organizations in this country.

Only few are now moving their machine learning services to cloud environment. And even at that, many are still skeptical because of the payment plan.

And yeah, knowledge of statistics models is a must to Learn.

So If I were a newbie, I will focus on SQL, know python very well. Let Numpy and Pandas be your friend. Then understand the rudiment of traditional machine learning algorithms and how to optimize each algorithms with hyperparameter tuning and how to evaluate model performance.

Most industry problems you will see are mostly classification and regression problem and maybe a recommendation system (an unsupervised learning)

Deep learning can be an overkill in many cases. So focus on the above unless you have a GPU or TPU else, your system could crash.

See you guys at the top !!!!!!

The bottom of the pyramid is saturated right now. Go on LinkedIn and almost every knows how to use those tools (Excel, Power BI, Tableau), the competition is very very high.

Our target should be the global job market, not just the Nigerian job market where opportunities are few. Gather as many skills and tools as possible and be good at them.

But I get your point and it is valid. Start somewhere and grow from there with time. SQL, Statistics, Excel, PowerBI, and Python (Pandas, Numpy, Matplotlib) are enough to enter the industry.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Tenshades(m): 1:36pm On Jan 13, 2022
Ejiod:

Hello Boss,

I've gone through the thread from A - Z and I must confess you are doing a seriously great job.

I have few questions as a newbie:

- When you're supplied with raw (unclean) data by clients or organizations, how do you know what you're to do after seeing/ getting the data?

- How do you spot errors in large datasets for cleaning purpose?

- I observed some Data Analysts are using Excel for Data Visualizations (Dashboards). Does this mean Excel can override PowerBI or Tableau in Viz aspects?

- As a Pro, how long does a Data Analysis job take to reach final presentation?

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Excallibur(m): 7:35pm On Jan 13, 2022

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Excallibur(m): 7:36pm On Jan 13, 2022

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Headlaw(m): 8:18pm On Jan 13, 2022
maker1234567:
Port Harcourt based aspiring and professional Data Scientist/Python Programmers, can we form a community? . Mayb create a whatsapp group and once in while we can meet up.
Thnks

I beg add me in this line; 09056818759
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 9:19am On Jan 14, 2022
Tenshades:

Hello Boss,

I've gone through the thread from A - Z and I must confess you are doing a seriously great job.

I have few questions as a newbie:

- When you're supplied with raw (unclean) data by clients or organizations, how do you know what you're to do after seeing/ getting the data?

- How do you spot errors in large datasets for cleaning purpose?

- I observed some Data Analysts are using Excel for Data Visualizations (Dashboards). Does this mean Excel can override PowerBI or Tableau in Viz aspects?

- As a Pro, how long does a Data Analysis job take to reach final presentation?

Regarding unclean data: mostly when I get data that is dirty. Mostly I check the format of each column. If something is off I will then have to use python/pandas to clean.
However I make use excel sometimes in cleaning the data with wildcards. You can have trailing white spaces or punctuations that could skew your data but you need to understand the data and what it’s needed from the data before you apply those data cleaning features.
2. How do I spot errors? You can use power query editor built on powerBi but I mostly make use of pandas_profiling to check this.
3. Excel can be used for visualization but can never be as powerBi or Tableau. The latter is the king of business intelligence.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Tenshades(m): 10:22am On Jan 14, 2022
Ejiod:

Regarding unclean data: mostly when I get data that is dirty. Mostly I check the format of each column. If something is off I will then have to use python/pandas to clean.

Thanks
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 14, 2022
@ Ejiod What type of mathematic do one need to learn apart from Algebra, Calculus and Matrices

Can you be kind to show a learning modules and what the learning curve would be for each modules.

Thank you
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 7:42pm On Jan 14, 2022
jackcanfield:
@ Ejiod What type of mathematic do one need to learn apart from Algebra, Calculus and Matrices

Can you be kind to show a learning modules and what the learning curve would be for each modules.

Thank you
Matrix and statistics

5 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by T4kbaba(m): 7:56pm On Jan 14, 2022
In this video, we will learn how to compute loan amortization schedule and not only this, we will also learn to automate it and similar problems. We made use of many finance functions in Microsoft Excel to achieve our objective. We also used Excel Macro from Excel Developer in-built.
Watch the video and upgrade your skills.
If you have not subscribed to my YouTube channel, please, endeavor to do so and also like and comments on the video.
Yours Excel Guru guy,
Ibraheem Babatunde, ACA MNAEE, MIAEE.

Use Excel and excel!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVGLFbKRySQ

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by AnalysisGuru: 9:16pm On Jan 14, 2022
HelperDeji:
Please I want to know about Data Science anybody here that can put me through from the scratch?
Please ��
Lolz.
What else do you want to know...
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by GidiCars: 7:56am On Jan 16, 2022
DAramis:

The udemy paid account which you access materials and certificate for free

If you use telegram, search for UdemyKing free courses. The channel has over 100K users, just join and keep checking for courses you're interested in. If you prefer pdfs, I can send you links to where you can download almost any book.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by DAramis: 3:33pm On Jan 16, 2022
GidiCars:

If you use telegram, search for UdemyKing free courses. The channel has over 100K users, just join and keep checking for courses you're interested in. If you prefer pdfs, I can send you links to where you can download almost any book.
joined them already. They deleted everything because of privacy issues.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by GidiCars: 9:46pm On Jan 16, 2022
DAramis:

joined them already. They deleted everything because of privacy issues.

https:///+VwOv6mo2fZ-VsE5j

Join this link

http:///StudyBullet

The link above is the backup.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 9:52pm On Jan 16, 2022
ebixy:

The bottom of the pyramid is saturated right now. Go on LinkedIn and almost every knows how to use those tools (Excel, Power BI, Tableau), the competition is very very high.

I think this is an issue with the Nigerian space: more supply than demand. If I'm being honest, I don't think we analyze data in Nigeria: we do more of data entry and wrangling. grin

Excel, SQL and PowerBI/Tableau should be enough to get you something abroad. cheesy

I can't remember, but someone here was able to get a job with basic knowledge of SQL and Power BI only, I checked among his threads and discovered he relocated recently to Canada. shocked

5 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by T4kbaba(m): 11:51pm On Jan 16, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqmEBtOkNIU

In this video, we appraised a project to see if it worthwhile to commit our capital on it or not. made use of NPV as an investment Appraisal technique.
Watch the video to upgrade both your Excel and Finance skills. Do not forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel, like it and also comments there.
I remain your humble Excel Guru guy, Ibraheem Babatunde, ACA, MNAEE, MIAEE.
Thanks and God bless!

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by mbhs139(m): 12:27am On Jan 17, 2022
Guys, check out various courses on Simpli learn. Details below

Have you been thinking of learning some IT skills�,

Simpllilearn has different FREE courses you can take, at least 3 different courses in 90days, smash that 2022Goals✌�

https://simpli-/e/pbqiexUnLmb

https://www.simplilearn.com/skillup-free-online-courses?referral_code=shak798&%24web_only=true&_branch_match_id=1009797606236725887&utm_source=skillup-learner-referral&utm_campaign=enrollment-restriction&utm_medium=drip&_branch_referrer=H4sIAAAAAAAAA8soKSkottLXL87MLcjJ1EssKNDLyczL1k%2FVL0gqzEytCM3zyU0CAPE06eclAAAA#Agile-and-Scrum

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by DAramis: 1:07am On Jan 17, 2022
GidiCars:

https:///+VwOv6mo2fZ-VsE5j

Join this link

http:///StudyBullet

The link above is the backup.

both not working or opening
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by ebixy(m): 5:20am On Jan 17, 2022
Raalsalghul:

I think this is an issue with the Nigerian space: more supply than demand. If I'm being honest, I don't think we analyze data in Nigeria: we do more of data entry and wrangling. grin

Excel, SQL and PowerBI/Tableau should be enough to get you something abroad. cheesy

I can't remember, but someone here was able to get a job with basic knowledge of SQL and Power BI only, I checked among his threads and discovered he relocated recently to Canada. shocked

That's how easy it is in the abroad meanwhile the Nigerian space almost has zero space for entry level.

Below is an example of a data analyst job post at Schneider Electric.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 5:58am On Jan 17, 2022
ebixy:

That's how easy it is in the abroad meanwhile the Nigerian space almost has zero space for entry level.

Below is an example of a data analyst job post at Schneider Electric.

Yeah, absolutely which is why it pisses it me off when they say "learn this and that" to get jobs when the demand is almost non-existent.

Make una try target international markets too and do projects alongside.

As a beginner analyst, the skills needed are Excel/Google Sheets + PowerBI/Tableau + SQL, adding python to it even should only be an option.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Meel: 7:41am On Jan 17, 2022
Raalsalghul:

Yeah, absolutely which is why it pisses it me off when they say "learn this and that" to get jobs when the demand is almost non-existent.

Make una try target international markets too and do projects alongside.

As a beginner analyst, the skills needed are Excel/Google Sheets + PowerBI/Tableau + SQL, adding python to it even should only be an option.

To become an expert at something the advise is learn then practice, then you will know.

I have completed some series in excel, I have being learning for months now. But the issue is the rarely used shortcuts, function and skills don't stick.

Which excel project will you recommend to embark on, that will enable me get more Familirised with the functions. I have learnt.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 7:58am On Jan 17, 2022
Meel:

To become an expert at something the advise is learn then practice, then you will know.

I have completed some series in excel, I have being learning for months now. But the issue is the rarely used shortcuts, function and skills don't stick.

Which excel project will you recommend to embark on, that will enable me get more Familirised with the functions. I have learnt.

Go to kaggle, download any dataset of your choice.

Do some cleaning with Power Query, you can even add columns depending on the qualitative/categorical data involved.

Import into excel sheet as a table.

Use Pivot Table to summarize your data (specifically your aggregations and show data as) and there are different ways you could play with it.

Above is just a simple excel project.

For a complex one, download a dataset with many tables.

Clean each individually with Power Query, add to Data Model then model/join your tables using primary and secondary keys with regards to your lookup and facts tables.

Finally, use DAX for deeper insights and analysis.

Follow these guys on youtube too: https://www.youtube.com/c/AlexTheAnalyst

So many things you could learn from there.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Meel: 8:01am On Jan 17, 2022
Raalsalghul:

Go to kaggle, download any dataset of your choice.

Do some cleaning with Power Query, you can even add columns depending on the qualitative/categorical data involved.

Use Pivot Table to summarize your data (specifically your aggregations and show data as) and there are different ways you could play with it.

Above is just a simple excel project.

For a complex, download a dataset with many tables.

Clean each individually with Power Query, add to Data Model then model/join your tables using primary and secondary keys with regards to your lookup and facts tables.

Finally, use DAX for deeper insights and analysis.

I have being learning and forgetting, but this your method will definitely allow what I have learn stick.

Thanks so much for this, I appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 8:03am On Jan 17, 2022
Meel:

I have being learning and forgetting, but this your method will definitely allow what I have learn stick.

Thanks so much for this, I appreciate.

You have to engage in projects to keep your skills sharp and as a portfolio when you start job hunting. grin

Don't just learn and relax. grin

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Tenshades(m): 9:24am On Jan 17, 2022
Raalsalghul:

Alex The Analyst dishes out great values.

The guy is truly who his name is.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 9:36am On Jan 17, 2022
Tenshades:

Alex The Analyst dishes out great values.

The guy is truly who his name is.

I don't joke with his videos. grin

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Eromzi(m): 7:14pm On Jan 17, 2022
lovelybobo:

The same dataset can be used by different industries to achieve different results depending on what they set out to achieve.
Healthcare use of financial data is different from tech use of financial data and also different from finance industry use financial data.
You will need to pick an industry of choice somewhere along the line. This is called Subject Matter Knowledge or Expert.

Shalom...
ok tnks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (146) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.