Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:43 AM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (330027 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by tplayer: 1:48am On Jul 19, 2020
BelieverDE:

So true! cry

I've been learning Excel for 3 months now. The truth is, Excel is so broad and I get lost in it by lingering on it. I don't know whether to move to SQL or PowerBI (as suggested from the Microsoft edx Data Analyst Xseries courses)

Gurus in the house, please suggest a learning path for me to follow embarassed

After Excel, should what should I learn next. And what course would you suggest.

@Ejiod, Kirill Eremenko's course on Machine A-Z is no longer on freetutorialsus.com

Thanks all, in anticipation of your help always.

Good one! Yes Excel is broad. Don't give up on it; learn it, its quite powerful and it's the go-to tool for some tasks. Many so-called data scientist or analyst don't know it and it's bad. Power BI should go next, IMHO. With just Excel and Power BI, u are already productive.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Marveaux(m): 9:10am On Jul 19, 2020
tplayer:

Good one! Yes Excel is broad. Don't give up on it; learn it, its quite powerful and it's the go-to tool for some tasks. Many so-called data scientist or analyst don't know it and it's bad. Power BI should go next, IMHO. With just Excel and Power BI, u are already productive.
And pandas? sad
With the way most of you guys are emphasizing on Excel and sql, it's beginning to sound as if pandas is useless for data analysis and I've been wasting my time for the past month learning it cry
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Zabiboy: 9:22am On Jul 19, 2020
blife2:

no answer

You did not answer my question properly..
Data science is broad....You can't say you started data science in general 20 days ago....
Which tool or software did you start with?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by tplayer: 11:22am On Jul 19, 2020
Marveaux:

And pandas? sad
With the way most of you guys are emphasizing on Excel and sql, it's beginning to sound as if pandas is useless for data analysis and I've been wasting my time for the past month learning it cry

No, it's not useless. Just start at d right place and build.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by tplayer: 11:24am On Jul 19, 2020
Marveaux:

And pandas? sad

Just DAT people overlook Excel and it shouldnt be so.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Marveaux(m): 11:35am On Jul 19, 2020
tplayer:

No, it's not useless. Just start at d right place and build.
Please sir, can you emphasize on "d right place and build"?
Thank you.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by nwele2017: 11:45am On Jul 19, 2020
tplayer:

Just DAT people overlook Excel and it shouldnt be so.
people like shinning things with big names rather than the basic. I use to be a victim of this way of reasoning but recently, I found that there is very much I can do with excel than with pandas. I spent so much learning pandas but, the little time and effort I spent learning excel made me my data analysis job very easy than I could have imagined.
pandas is very good to learn, it makes your data analysis work easy but, overlooking excel as a data analysis tool is very bad because there is much which excel can do that Pandas can not do.

4 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by blife2: 12:31pm On Jul 19, 2020
Zabiboy:

You did not answer my question properly..
Data science is broad....You can't say you started data science in general 20 days ago....
Which tool or software did you start with?
i started learning about it in general not tools
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by blife2: 12:32pm On Jul 19, 2020
nwele2017:

people like shinning things with big names rather than the basic. I use to be a victim of this way of reasoning but recently, I found that there is very much I can do with excel than with pandas. I spent so much learning pandas but, the little time and effort I spent learning excel made me my data analysis job very easy than I could have imagined.
pandas is very good to learn, it makes your data analysis work easy but, overlooking excel as a data analysis tool is very bad because there is much which excel can do that Pandas can not do.

like what
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by nwele2017: 1:41pm On Jul 19, 2020
blife2:

like what
you are the same guy who said data science is over hyped and you still don't know the importance of Excel over pandas at least at the most basic level of data analysis!
I would have loved to enlighten you but seeing that you learnt everything about data science in two days makes me doubt if it will worth it to waste my time doing so.
learning what took people 4-6 six months to learn even with strong maths background within two days means two things: you are not being truthful to yourself or you are a genius.
if the latter is true then there is no need wasting my time teaching you what you can excel can do better than pandas at the most basic level, you can figure it out easily.
Just for the fun, I will like to see the projects you done so far

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by blife2: 1:57pm On Jul 19, 2020
nwele2017:

you are the same guy who said data science is over hyped and you still don't know the importance of Excel over pandas at least at the most basic level of data analysis!
I would have loved to enlighten you but seeing that you learnt everything about data science in two days makes me doubt if it will worth it to waste my time doing so.
learning what took people 4-6 six months to learn even with strong maths background within two days means two things: you are not being truthful to yourself or you are a genius.
if the latter is true then there is no need wasting my time teaching you what you can excel can do better than pandas at the most basic level, you can figure it out easily.
Just for the fun, I will like to see the projects you done so far
how did you know well i want to know no one knows all am just saying its not as had as mastering javascipt
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by tplayer: 3:19pm On Jul 19, 2020
Marveaux:

Please sir, can you emphasize on "d right place and build"?
Thank you.
1- Excel(and relatives/natives like pivot table, power query(you can skip the M language in it), learn to create dashboards with excel(because what a lot of business people know is excel and excel is everywhere; power bi is d shiny kid getting lots of love now, and for good reasons), learn formulas and array formulas. Once u understand how cell referencing works, excel becomes easy.
1.5- power pivot (or just move to 2)
2-power bi(please learn data modelling here, please please learn how to use d dax language to create calculated columns, measures, time intelligence so you can stand out. power query and power pivot are still here too.
Note that tableau can replace power bi too. These 2 are d most popular.
3. - involve urself in d statistical aspect of what you are learning. Using tools without knowing d statistics is not complete. after all data science, forger d sexy name, is basically statistics, some pure mathematics, cimputer science, and common sense. Please read all you can about probability, distributions, Central limit theorem, experimental design, ANOVA, manova, correlation, regression, Exploratory data analysis(e.g make sure you know all about d box plot, not just how to plot it), parametric and non parametric test, post-hoc tests. etc. Baba if you try all d things here, u are already a small boss.
4- Python or R, you choice (to implement 3, and even parts of 1 and 2. They are d languages of data.

5-Now, advance statistics and calculus( For MACHINE LEARNING!!!!!! which can be implemented using python or R.) You can start machine learning by using clicks and libraries before you go under d hood. machine learning no be beans sha o and its not just simple regression. But its learnable.

6. this has no number really. insert SQL anywhere after 2.

7- PRACTICE. PRACTICE. PRACTICE!!!

If all you want is mainly extraction, cleaning, munging, visualisation of data, and creating a shiny(apologies to R guys) dashboard, A simple knowledge of statistics may do it. Excel, Power bi and SQL will do.

To become a real data scientist aka machine expert, statistics, maths, must come in.

please, I put dis together in a hurry. others here should please chime in.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by nwele2017: 3:27pm On Jul 19, 2020
blife2:

how did you know well i want to know no one knows all am just saying its not as had as mastering javascipt
learning vanilla javescript is not as daunting as you people make it seem when you have basic programming skills like knowing python. it is only hard for people with just HTML and CSS skills, but if you have programming skills and you are serious you can learn JavaScript in 3 weeks at maximum.
That's why advice who wants to go into web development to learn python before learning html and css, it will make it very simple for them to learn

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Marveaux(m): 7:26pm On Jul 19, 2020
tplayer:

1- Excel(and relatives/natives like pivot table, power query(you can skip the M language in it), learn to create dashboards with excel(because what a lot of business people know is excel and excel is everywhere; power bi is d shiny kid getting lots of love now, and for good reasons), learn formulas and array formulas. Once u understand how cell referencing works, excel becomes easy.
2-power bi(please learn data modelling here, please please learn how to use d dax language to create calculated columns, measures, time intelligence so you can stand out. power query and power pivot are still here too.
3. - involve urself in d statistical aspect of what you are learning. Using tools without knowing d statistics is not complete. after all data science, forger d sexy name, is basically statistics, some pure mathematics, cimputer science, and common sense. Please read all you can about probability, distributions, Central limit theorem, experimental design, ANOVA, manova, correlation, regression, Exploratory data analysis(e.g make sure you know all about d box plot, not just how to plot it), parametric and non parametric test, post-hoc tests. etc. Baba if you try all d things here, u are already a small boss.
4- Python or R, you choice (to implement 3, and even parts of 1 and 2. They are d languages of data.

5-Now, advance statistics and calculus( For MACHINE LEARNING!!!!!! which can be implemented using python or R.) You can start machine learning by using clicks and libraries before you go under d hood. machine learning no be beans sha o and its not just simple regression. But its learnable.

If all you want is mainly extraction, cleaning, munging, visualisation of data, and creating a shiny(apologies to R guys) dashboard, A simple knowledge of statistics may do it. Excel, Power bi and SQL will do.

To become a real data scientist aka machine expert, statistics, maths, must come in.

Wow shocked thanks so much for this.
Finally someone has put everything in perspective and laid down a roadmap for learning.
Thanks again
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by tplayer: 8:44pm On Jul 19, 2020
Marveaux:

Wow shocked thanks so much for this.
Finally someone has put everything in perspective and laid down a roadmap for learning.
Thanks again

Please don't think SQL is not important because it has no real number in my roadmap. It is very important to land big jobs.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by noob03saibot(m): 10:01pm On Jul 19, 2020
tplayer:

Thanks for this, you finished work. Very detailed
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SirJerrie(m): 11:19pm On Jul 19, 2020
Been following this thread for about a month now(this is like my first time to comment innit though)...

So far I've been on Python... Ion know how grounded I need to be, so I'm taking my time.
Hopefully, by August I should move to Excel. Then pandas... Or Sql... Or Machine learning...

@Ejiod...Thank you very much for creating this thread... This is like a club for lovers of this career path(like myself)..
And thanks to everyone that has contributed to the growth of this thread so far...
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by blife2: 7:49am On Jul 20, 2020
SirJerrie:
Been following this thread for about a month now(this is like my first time to comment innit though)...

So far I've been on Python... Ion know how grounded I need to be, so I'm taking my time.
Hopefully, by August I should move to Excel. Then pandas... Or Sql... Or Machine learning...

@Ejiod...Thank you very much for creating this thread... This is like a club for lovers of this career path(like myself)..
And thanks to everyone that has contributed to the growth of this thread so far...
i suggest you move now dont learn tools first learn the work start an end to end project from analysis to stat to modelling to deployment on a web app
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by BelieverDE: 1:13pm On Jul 20, 2020
tplayer:

THIS IS SUPERB!!!!!

Thanks a million! shocked

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by iCode2: 2:40pm On Jul 20, 2020
So much to learn in this data science/analysis thingy!! And it seems one will need to learn almost everything before being able to land a job with it.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Zabiboy: 3:16pm On Jul 20, 2020
iCode2:
So much to learn in this data science/analysis thingy!! And it seems one will need to learn almost everything before being able to land a job with it.

That's because you are learning to get a job
I know we all want to get employed but instead of learning to get a job, learn to improve yourself....if you are thoroughly good with excel, Tableau/powerbi ( one of them ) and even a small knowledge of sql, you are already fit for jobs...Then if you get one or while submitting letters, you can continue expanding....

10 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SOLARPOWER1(f): 4:40pm On Jul 20, 2020
Ejiod:

Reason is that most businesses and corporate organisation store their data on database and they look for who will pull that data up.
Pandas is great but thats descriptive data analysis which many software these days can do.The advantage you have with pandas is data wrangling.

Which of the SQL is preferable Mysql or MS SERVER .....I have done about three courses in Mysql and I am now very comfortable with queries... But I saw a lengthy course on sql using MS Server and how to use it in reporting ....Should I take this MS SERVER course or just focus more on Mysql...I don't want to be learning many things that are not in sequence as this might get me confuse ....I need advice here

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by nwele2017: 4:44pm On Jul 20, 2020
Zabiboy:

I know we all want to get employed but instead of learning to get a job, learn to improve yourself....if you are thoroughly good with excel, Tableau/powerbi ( one of them ) and even a small knowledge of sql, you are already fit for jobs...Then if you get one or while submitting letters, you can continue expanding....

Who will pay you for just knowing tools without using it to gain insight. You definitely need statistics for you to be able to use these tools to gain insight effectively.
For example, Somebody who doesn't know the difference between Categorical and numerical variables cannot use tabulea or powerbi effectively, he or she will never know the perfect graphical representation to gain insight from this variables.
Statistics is definitely the number one thing anybody who wants to be a data scientist/analyst, businesses intelligence analyst,data miner... needs know because everything about those job mentioned above is all about finding patterns, gaining insight, predicting the future and communicating the result of the data for effective decision to be made.
Nobody, will ever employee you to come and just give graphical representation which you don't even understand. Knowing the the tools is just like 40% of the skills needed, you need understanding of statistics, understanding of data in its context and effective communication skills for you to be able to make up to 100%
So add statistics among what you listed

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Zabiboy: 5:09pm On Jul 20, 2020
nwele2017:

Who will pay you for just knowing tools without using it to gain insight. You definitely need statistics for you to be able to use these tools to gain insight effectively.
For example, Somebody who doesn't know the difference between Categorical and numerical variables cannot use tabulea or powerbi effectively, he or she will never know the perfect graphical representation to gain insight from this variables.
Statistics is definitely the number one thing anybody who wants to be a data scientist/analyst, businesses intelligence analyst,data miner... needs know because everything about those job mentioned above is all about finding patterns, gaining insight, predicting the future and communicating the result of the data for effective decision to be made.
Nobody, will ever employee you to come and just give graphical representation which you don't even understand. Knowing the the tools is just like 40% of the skills needed, you need understanding of statistics, understanding of data in its context and effective communication skills for you to be able to make up to 100%
So add statistics among what you listed

All this is in the category of "Learning to Improve yourself" ....
Anyways..i get your point

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 5:39pm On Jul 20, 2020
SOLARPOWER1:

Which of the SQL is preferable Mysql or MS SERVER .....I have done about three courses in Mysql and I am now very comfortable with queries... But I saw a lengthy course on sql using MS Server and how to use it in reporting ....Should I take this MS SERVER course or just focus more on Mysql...I don't want to be learning many things that are not in sequence as this might get me confuse ....I need advice here
Please move ahead to the next topic since you are done with the SQL. Meanwhile practice and practice

3 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 5:42pm On Jul 20, 2020
BelieverDE:

So true! cry

I've been learning Excel for 3 months now. The truth is, Excel is so broad and I get lost in it by lingering on it. I don't know whether to move to SQL or PowerBI (as suggested from the Microsoft edx Data Analyst Xseries courses)

Gurus in the house, please suggest a learning path for me to follow embarassed

After Excel, should what should I learn next. And what course would you suggest.

@Ejiod, Kirill Eremenko's course on Machine A-Z is no longer on freetutorialsus.com

Thanks all, in anticipation of your help always.
Please try using YouTube for this. YouTube has tons of tutorials out there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 5:44pm On Jul 20, 2020
funimages:

I have read through your chronicles, I perceive that you are a man that carry grace, I like to come under and tap from your grace. My whatapp number is 09099195753. If you give me yours, I will call or chat you up immediately. Thanks.
Hi.Apologies on the late response.Please let’s connect on Twitter. No longer active on WhatsApp.
ejiod is my username
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Abcruz(m): 6:04pm On Jul 20, 2020
Zabiboy:

Truer words have never been spoken!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by lymelyte(m): 7:45am On Jul 21, 2020
nwele2017:

please where can I get a good full video tutorial on excel. I haven't found any concrete tool on this..
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by nwele2017: 11:22am On Jul 21, 2020
lymelyte:
please where can I get a good full video tutorial on excel. I haven't found any concrete tool on this..

I will advice you to use this links for anything about excel you want to know

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=https%3A%2F%2Fchandoo.org%2F&redir_token=QUFFLUhqbkhUeDZHY2FrNm11MnYtMDRGMl9OZnFSS09yZ3xBQ3Jtc0tsQkNsMHdSVl91WEhxZDhSR0JkQUVjcGRPQ1VBODBPdkpULU9fdFZ5clU1M29hSDVINi12aEpHYm5aV2VfMW5HTUVyQWZrTkd0X2p6T0tNNFBiSXMyRzhobnJWNmg4R0FOVzhReHRaRWJCU2Z5a3VJcw%3D%3D&v=x6tnVOn4st4&event=video_description
https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.edx.org%2Fcourse%2Fintroduction-to-data-analysis-using-excel-2&redir_token=QUFFLUhqbXo1UlppZGlncXNjVldJOTJ2NFZwVlVOZDNJUXxBQ3Jtc0tsTl9VOVJDeDN1R2pwN2lnUWtzYi1xY24xdmlmS3RfOW9QMUg0SnVoYnRkV1dBTmdlMUVxOTk3bVZKRkVxdDBVdWNCRUZnMzNjVnppNUU4LVl5d1lPazZFcHBzSGF1bUR0OEc4TmRDdFJjblkwaDFrMA%3D%3D&v=x6tnVOn4st4&event=video_description
you can also check out excelisfun channel on YouTube . Go to his playlist and choose the video that suit what you want.
For statistics u can use
https://www.youtube.com/redirect?v=x6tnVOn4st4&redir_token=QUFFLUhqa3JVd3FqT1N1WWQwNENOQTZmSWZ6dkVTVkhfQXxBQ3Jtc0tsWnlPblVMMmxDbU1rSTdKV2Qyd2phMnNoWklTQjliZkV6MEhocjZhYS1POVVqUTUtODd6a0xzTklZVDFFVzFoeHljUnZQZ2xfTklJWG1IZklkM1hVT25qQTByWS1KTGN4NkNuOE9RSEIyUkJJZ1Z1WQ%3D%3D&event=video_description&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.khanacademy.org%2Fmath%2Fstatistics-probability

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SavageBoy: 2:39pm On Jul 21, 2020
@Ejiod good afternoon,how're you doing sir?

Please I just started learning HTML&CSS using freecodecamp YouTube tutorial videos, from the comment section on their YouTube channel it seems like they tutorial video for HTML&CSS is really good so I downloaded it.It's about 11hours+(Thanks to my 3airtel sim cards)

But the issue now is that I'm finding it a bit difficult to comprend what the tutor is teaching and he is a bit fast.The tutor sound like an Indian, maybe that's the reason

But before downloading this tutorial video I was watching Bucky Robert(newboston) videos and the guy seem to be very good and understandable but I had to stop because a programmer friend or mine said his videos are outdated and lot of stuffs have changed in the HTML,CSS and JavaScript world so I had to stop.

Meanwhile he said Visual code text editor is better than Notepad++ which is what the newboston guy uses.
So I'm just asking if the newboston guy tutorial videos are really outdated or maybe I could still use it
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:40pm On Jul 21, 2020
SavageBoy:
@Ejiod good afternoon,how're you doing sir?

Please I just started learning HTML&CSS using freecodecamp YouTube tutorial videos, from the comment section on their YouTube channel it seems like they tutorial video for HTML&CSS is really good so I downloaded it.It's about 11hours+(Thanks to my 3airtel sim cards)

But the issue now is that I'm finding it a bit difficult to comprend what the tutor is teaching and he is a bit fast.The tutor sound like an Indian, maybe that's the reason

But before downloading this tutorial video I was watching Bucky Robert(newboston) videos and the guy seem to be very good and understandable but I had to stop because a programmer friend or mine said his videos are outdated and lot of stuffs have changed in the HTML,CSS and JavaScript world so I had to stop.

Meanwhile he said Visual code text editor is better than Notepad++ which is what the newboston guy uses.
So I'm just asking if the newboston guy tutorial videos are really outdated or maybe I could still use it
Get your Airtel night plan and download complete HTML courses from free tutorials USA. I recommend the one by Maxmillian schwarz. YouTube is good but it's so easy for a beginner to get lost. Udemy offers a structured syllabic way of learning.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (146) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.