Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,880 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:06 AM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (326107 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 7:43pm On Sep 08, 2020
Hinokami:
Hi guys, this thread has been a real source of inspiration to me and because of that I am about take the biggest risk in my life so far.

I have been jobless before I got my current work so I know how the streets are but the nature of it makes me despise my job, the salary Is enough to cater for my basic needs monthly but hard to squeeze in some savings.

I have been on my current job for more than 18 months now and I started learning data analysis seriously May this year thanks to a dataquest scholarship.

I'm quite proficient with python and it's libraries but I feel I don't know much yet.. My job is hindering me from making significant progress in learning and building up my portfolio.

My main reason for this post is to ask if its going to be worth the risk quitting solely to focus on developing myself with the aim of getting a job by the end of this year or being proficient enough to get gigs. I just want to do something I love but current constraints wouldn't allow me.

Thoughts please.

Just try to learn as much as you can in your free time.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 7:58pm On Sep 08, 2020
Hinokami:
Hi guys, this thread has been a real source of inspiration to me and because of that I am about take the biggest risk in my life so far.

I have been jobless before I got my current work so I know how the streets are but the nature of it makes me despise my job, the salary Is enough to cater for my basic needs monthly but hard to squeeze in some savings.

I have been on my current job for more than 18 months now and I started learning data analysis seriously May this year thanks to a dataquest scholarship.

I'm quite proficient with python and it's libraries but I feel I don't know much yet.. My job is hindering me from making significant progress in learning and building up my portfolio.

My main reason for this post is to ask if its going to be worth the risk quitting solely to focus on developing myself with the aim of getting a job by the end of this year or being proficient enough to get gigs. I just want to do something I love but current constraints wouldn't allow me.

Thoughts please.

Whatever you are doing never quit your current place of work. Work where you are and learn. Get a new offer before quitting

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by KlausMichaelson: 8:22pm On Sep 08, 2020
Good day House
Please I need a link to download tutorial on Django for web development aside YouTube Videos. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 8:46pm On Sep 08, 2020
Ejiod:

Whatever you are doing never quit your current place of work. Work where you are and learn. Get a new offer before quitting

The job is monotonous and not tech related.. No career growth. Its just stagnation. No chance to learn anything. Get home by end of the day and you are exhausted.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 8:47pm On Sep 08, 2020
Raalsalghul:

Just try to learn as much as you can in your free time.

Will continue to do so thanks
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 8:48pm On Sep 08, 2020
nwele2017:

please don't quite your job for uncertainty, you can practice 2 hours every day and assure you within 6 months you will be very proficient.
I will advise you to take up project base learning, you can check data analyst nanodegree course it will help you build a portfolio

Decided I won't quit.. But will continue to brave it. Learn when I can. This country hard.

4 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by randomShek: 12:46am On Sep 09, 2020
Raalsalghul:

Yeah, the guy is good at explaining the basics compared to Excel is Fun's Michael Girvin who sort of rushes through his lectures.
Same Michael Girvin with the Excel Basics playlist that is 12hrs long?

Nah... I strongly disagree with you. He literally tore down everything about Excel from inside out that it’s mind blowing why his videos are still on YouTube for free.

There’s absolutely no way anybody wouldn’t understand his style of teaching with the many examples and homeworks available after each video.

The only downside I will agree to is that his playlists are long. Very, very looong.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by noob03saibot(m): 4:49am On Sep 09, 2020
randomShek:

Nah... I strongly disagree with you. He literally tore down everything about Excel from inside out that it’s mind blowing why his videos are still on YouTube for free.

There’s absolutely no way anybody wouldn’t understand his style of teaching with the many examples and homeworks available after each video.

The only downside I will agree to is that his playlists are long. Very, very looong.
bro! I stand with you. Fear catch me when I saw his comment about excel is fun's Michael, infact I weak instantly. Garri wey me dey chop for this early mor mor just sour for my mouth. Excel is fun wey done turn me to small genius for excel. The guy is damn!!!! Good

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 7:48am On Sep 09, 2020
randomShek:

Then we agree to disagree. If I were to advise someone, I would say they start with Excel Maven and use Excel is Fun to reinforce learning.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 7:50am On Sep 09, 2020
noob03saibot:
bro! I stand with you. Fear catch me when I saw his comment about excel is fun's Michael, infact I weak instantly. Garri wey me dey chop for this early mor mor just sour for my mouth. Excel is fun wey done turn me to small genius for excel. The guy is damn!!!! Good

The guy is an Excel genius no doubt, it's his delivery that I question. It's all choices sha.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by randomShek: 10:33am On Sep 09, 2020
Raalsalghul:

Then we agree to disagree. If I were to advise someone, I would say they start with Excel Maven and use Excel is Fun to reinforce learning.
True, Excel is Fun scope is very broad. It’s very easy to get burnt out and frustrated from the load of information and long hours.

So when you put it this way, I have to agree
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by randomShek: 10:44am On Sep 09, 2020
noob03saibot:
Lol... Exactly but mehn... The headaches wey some formulas nack me ehn

12hrs for Excel Basics and 18hrs for Advanced Excel

He’s very, very good o but his playlists are just too long. On the bright side, that small genius thing sweet o grin

3 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by akus6060(m): 12:00pm On Sep 09, 2020
Good PM all! Anaconda has been installed on my laptop of 2Ram and 32bits and I tried launching jupyterlab , I keep getting " Error executing jupyter command 'lab': [WinError 5] Access is denied"

Have been trying to fixed the problem and no solution is forth coming from my end .

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Raalsalghul: 1:46pm On Sep 09, 2020
Sellout:
I do. I just finished it. It's an amazing course! Really good infact all the maven analytics courses are excellent

Your location bro, sent you a D.M.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Smoak: 3:50pm On Sep 09, 2020
Sellout:
I do. I just finished it. It's an amazing course! Really good infact all the maven analytics courses are excellent

Hello @Sellout

I am interested in that course too. Do you mind sharing?

Thank you in advance.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by noob03saibot(m): 7:28pm On Sep 09, 2020
randomShek:
Lol... Exactly but mehn... The headaches wey some formulas nack me ehn

12hrs for Excel Basics and 18hrs for Advanced Excel

He’s very, very good o but his playlists are just too long. On the bright side, that small genius thing sweet o grin
lol!!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by noob03saibot(m): 7:36pm On Sep 09, 2020
Raalsalghul:

The guy is an Excel genius no doubt, it's his delivery that I question. It's all choices sha.
OK brotherly, No worries, One love bro
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by nengibo: 8:21pm On Sep 09, 2020

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 9:23pm On Sep 09, 2020
Smoak:

Hello @Sellout

I am interested in that course too. Do you mind sharing?

Thank you in advance.
I can give you my udemy login details to download the course using udeler.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 09, 2020
Raalsalghul:

Your location bro, sent you a D.M.
I'm based in Enugu
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by wisemania(m): 11:23am On Sep 10, 2020
One quick question,

how many of us think the requirement listed by various recruiters(Nigeria) for data Analyst role is quite annoying?

I mean,

Should be adept at queries,
Should carryout db maintenance regularly (why the hell do they have a DBA),
Should install and update systems software (DBA job),
Should carryout software tests(Really?),
Systems design and maintenance (Data Engineers/ Data Architect role),
Machine learning (data science ),
Experience with Google spreadsheet, GA, Qlikview, python, JavaScript, C#, tableau, PowerBI, etc (Alright)
Etc........

Men, I'm exhausted already!!!!

Make system no go blind my eyes!

9 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by BelieverDE: 3:39pm On Sep 10, 2020
wisemania:
One quick question,

how many of us think the requirement listed by various recruiters(Nigeria) for data Analyst role is quite annoying?

I mean,

Should be adept at queries,
Should carryout db maintenance regularly (why the hell do they have a DBA),
Should install and update systems software (DBA job),
Should carryout software tests(Really?),
Systems design and maintenance (Data Engineers/ Data Architect role),
Machine learning (data science ),
Experience with Google spreadsheet, GA, Qlikview, python, JavaScript, C#, tableau, PowerBI, etc (Alright)
Etc........

Men, I'm exhausted already!!!!

Make system no go blind my eyes!
That's exactly what I've been seeing too!

Mehn

It's because of job descriptions like this that makes me to sometimes question myself if I'm really doing the right thing in learning data analytics.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by randomShek: 5:31pm On Sep 10, 2020
While on the topic of getting hired, how important is knowing data structures and algorithms for a DA/DS job?

Are the employers interested in seeing how we write our codes structurally or they only care about our insights, predictions and visualizations
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 9:13pm On Sep 10, 2020
thought i should share this here for data analyst looking to land their first role
https://www.mavenanalytics.io/blog/getting-your-first-data-analyst-job

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by wisemania(m): 10:43pm On Sep 10, 2020
randomShek:
While on the topic of getting hired, how important is knowing data structures and algorithms for a DA/DS job?

Are the employers interested in seeing how we write our codes structurally or they only care about our insights, predictions and visualizations

The truth is, software engineering is important in Data science and it depends on the employer

This is a life time thing...

The upskilling never ends ... Just when I thought I was solid in MySQL, they required MSSQL (which I did), now they're asking for data warehouse skills(which I am on as I speak)...

Met a guy on LinkedIn told him what I could do, but he succeeded in listing all the skills that I do not have (Google analytics, Databox, digital marketing tools, bigquery), I shook my head --- see my life!

We just have to take it one step at a time.

One could even merge software engineering with DA/DS...

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by wisemania(m): 10:44pm On Sep 10, 2020
randomShek:

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by wisemania(m): 10:45pm On Sep 10, 2020
BelieverDE:

That's exactly what I've been seeing too!

Mehn

It's because of job descriptions like this that makes me to sometimes question myself if I'm really doing the right thing in learning data analytics.

There's no better time

We have to keep upskilling every week, we go dey alright soon. Hang in there!.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by wisemania(m): 10:53pm On Sep 10, 2020
One more thing,

The best way to know the required skillset is to visit job sites and look out for the recruiters requirements for the role....

PEACE

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by nwele2017: 6:16am On Sep 11, 2020
wisemania:

The truth is, software engineering is important in Data science and it depends on the employer

The upskilling never ends ... Just when I thought I was solid in MySQL, they required MSSQL (which I did), now they're asking for data warehouse skills(which I am on as I speak)...

Met a guy on LinkedIn told him what I could do, but he succeeded in listing all the skills that I do not have (Google analytics, Databox, digital marketing tools, bigquery), I shook my head --- see my life!

you guys are busy learning only technical skills.
Data analysis doesn't start and end with all these tools you guys keep learning, there are more to it . Improving your statistics and communication skills is very important. most of what you will be doing as a Data analyst is communicating and story telling, you find pattern, insight from messy data and you communicate to the stakeholders .
Learning Excel, Mysql, tablueu or powerbi and strong communication and statistical skills is enough for you to secure a job as a data analyst in Nigeria today. python could be added to technical skills also.

8 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by wisemania(m): 8:38am On Sep 11, 2020
nwele2017:

you guys are busy learning only technical skills.
Data analysis doesn't start and end with all these tools you guys keep learning, there are more to it . Improving your statistics and communication skills is very important. most of what you will be doing as a Data analyst is communicating and story telling, you find pattern, insight from messy data and you communicate to the stakeholders .
Learning Excel, Mysql, tablueu or powerbi and strong communication and statistical skills is enough for you to secure a job as a data analyst in Nigeria today. python could be added to technical skills also.

You have a point...

Let me get a course on effective communication and presentation -- I mean, I've been wanting in this area.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by randomShek: 10:46am On Sep 11, 2020
wisemania:

You have a point...

Let me get a course on effective communication and presentation -- I mean, I've been wanting in this area.

Thanks
Do share if you find one. CourseDrive and Freetutorials weren’t really helpful

You probably know this already but this is a really helpful book you should read if you haven’t

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by randomShek: 11:13am On Sep 11, 2020
wisemania:

And I was thinking the journey was almost over grin

Based on your above, are you’re performing the role of a core DBA at work? Knowing and using the knowledge is one thing but is it safe to assume that you’re also a DBA for your company?

I understand the message you’re trying to pass but tbh, I would like to avoid anything to do with a DBA but I can’t overlook it based on sentiments

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (146) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.