Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst - Programming (100) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (330162 Views)

Chronicle Of A Data/cloud Engineer / Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Aspiring Data Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (146) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by boninho: 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2021
Greetings house

There's a dataset I'm trying to run multiple linear regression on. In the dataset description, they identified the target variable. However, among the dataset were also two columns, named random variables (rv1, rv2) and they said it's for testing the regression model and to filter non predictive attributes.

My question now is: those two columns, am I going to include them under independent variables while running the regression.

How do I use both columns to test the model and filter out non-predictive attributes

I need help please
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by AntiSimp: 2:48pm On Sep 04, 2021
I recently decided to give programming a go as I was kind of getting bored, disillusioned and uninspired by my current career path.
I want something more challanging, creative and fullfiling...And looking at my strength and interest, I realise I tilt towards number and analytic bent, so the idea of data science becomes tempting and prospective for me.
After some research about how to start, and my need for a solid background in the enterprise of programming and computer sci, I stumbled on CS5O being run by Havard on Edx, and adjudged with good reviews for beginners....so I'm following CS50 to get the basics, hoping that afterward, I can now progress to concentrate on datascience using python and its libraries, SQL and R.
.....While working on C, I get worried or sceptical abt the relevance of C in the long run..since I wouldn't probably run data analysis with C...I wonder why Havard introduce computer scien with C....And sometimes I hope I am not just wasting my time with C and following CS50...Just worried.
Will appreciate your advice and input. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SOLARPOWER1(f): 6:56pm On Sep 06, 2021
Ejiod:

Would also want those in this field to share their experience and journey too

@ejiod, I can see you moved from web development to Data Science. In this era, what's your advice for someone who wants to make a decision between Data Science and Web development? Most of the job opportunities I see in my location are for web and Data Science jobs need more industry experience with little hope for new entry.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by kunleiky(m): 9:37am On Sep 07, 2021
Wow, this awesome thread has reached its 100th page. Glad we are helping each other out here.

BTW, I and my team are coming up with a data analytics cohort training this September for just a few bucks.
You can join us for the training. It will take place on weekends. And the duration is a month.

Kindly check my signature for contact details

3 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 12:08pm On Sep 07, 2021
Ff
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 11:47pm On Sep 07, 2021
Tobsam237:
Guys, I am really confused on how to land my first real job.
I don't even get interviews like that.

Here is my LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/oyekanmi-oluwatoba/
and my Github: https://github.com/Tobsam237

Any ideas on how to actually land my first job would be appreciate?
My skillset is strongly data analytics/science inclined, using python & SQL.

Well, I intend to work on acquiring AWS Data Analytics certification to strengthen my portfolio.
What y'all think?
Or should I go the Data Engineering route, learning more datatools: DataBricks, Looker, etc?

My ultimate goal is a good paying JOB.
Please someone HELLLLLPPPPP.

you are better off learning data engineering. There are more jobs for data engineers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 11:49pm On Sep 07, 2021
As much as we are all trying to learn data analytics, I think it is important you all are also learning data engineering or at least a part of it. Tools like Azure Data Factory, Databricks, Airflow and Apache Spark should be at your arsenal. �

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 11:54pm On Sep 07, 2021
Anyway for those having doubts on pursuing a career in data analytics, you don't have to be waiting for Nigeria companies. A company abroad reached out to me on LinkedIn to offer a salary of 85,000 usd per year. Its a rewarding career really.

13 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 8:59am On Sep 08, 2021
Sellout:
Anyway for those having doubts on pursuing a career in data analytics, you don't have to be waiting for Nigeria companies. A company abroad reached out to me on LinkedIn to offer a salary of 85,000 usd per year. Its a rewarding career really.

There must be something wrong I'm doing on LinkedIn.

I keep making posts about my progress in Power BI, maybe I should do more.

Is Power BI alone enough to get a reasonable job?

PS...I am currently employed but want to make a transition to Data. Analytics.

3 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 08, 2021
Hinokami:

There must be something wrong I'm doing on LinkedIn.

I keep making posts about my progress in Power BI, maybe I should do more.

Is Power BI alone enough to get a reasonable job?

PS...I am currently employed but want to make a transition to Data. Analytics.
look at the skills they requested. Those are the skills you need.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Hinokami: 12:04pm On Sep 08, 2021
Sellout:
look at the skills they requested. Those are the skills you need.

It takes time to get all of those skills, it is well. We wont relent though.

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ennyboy12(m): 5:12pm On Sep 08, 2021
Hi guys; It’s time to stop procrastinating �; who needs motivation please? I don’t know if there is anybody that’s willing to start this journey with me. I don’t have a mentor but i just want someone we can easily rub minds together as i need motivation myself. Please message me if interested
Thanks.

7 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by kennethfranc(m): 8:21pm On Sep 08, 2021
Ennyboy12:
Hi guys; It’s time to stop procrastinating �; who needs motivation please? I don’t know if there is anybody that’s willing to start this journey with me. I don’t have a mentor but i just want someone we can easily rub minds together as i need motivation myself. Please message me if interested
Thanks.
This is a nice idea but am still paying for my own laptop. I will be starting hopefully October

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Ejiod(m): 8:38pm On Sep 08, 2021
SOLARPOWER1:

@ejiod, I can see you moved from web development to Data Science. In this era, what's your advice for someone who wants to make a decision between Data Science and Web development? Most of the job opportunities I see in my location are for web and Data Science jobs need more industry experience with little hope for new entry.
There are many independent variables to this.
It depends on the portfolio you have built even though you don’t have experience.
For web dev, it’s always important to have these projects laid down while for data science/analytics I will strongly advise you learn SQL and if possibly run some analysis as part of portfolio.
In terms of choosing whether data science or web development. The latter has more chances of landing an offer compared to the former but once you can get a data job role, there’s always room for progression compared to web
Just weigh your options

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SOLARPOWER1(f): 10:04pm On Sep 08, 2021
Ejiod:

It depends on the portfolio you have built even though you don’t have experience.
For web dev, it’s always important to have these projects laid down while for data science/analytics I will strongly advise you learn SQL and if possibly run some analysis as part of portfolio.
In terms of choosing whether data science or web development. The latter has more chances of landing an offer compared to the former but once you can get a data job role, there’s always room for progression compared to web
Just weigh your options

Thank you very much.
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Xtiansearching(m): 9:10am On Sep 09, 2021
Ennyboy12:
Thanks.
I will be more than happy to join you. I want to start the data analysis. I have my own laptop but can't download the application to it. I don't know why

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by SOLARPOWER1(f): 9:49am On Sep 10, 2021
Ejiod:

Just weigh your options

I noticed the video of that newboston guy on YouTube is since 2011 and even saw xhtml on the JavaScript tutorial. Do you think it is advisable to still use those videos for JavaScript now with so many changes taking place in JavaScript framework frequently?

3 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by mentro: 9:59pm On Sep 10, 2021
Ennyboy12:
Thanks.
I'm with you bro

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Matinoh: 10:49am On Sep 11, 2021
Sellout:
As much as we are all trying to learn data analytics, I think it is important you all are also learning data engineering or at least a part of it. Tools like Azure Data Factory, Databricks, Airflow and Apache Spark should be at your arsenal. �
Can u please take me under your wings ? I'm enthusiastic
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by MXray: 2:06pm On Sep 11, 2021
AntiSimp:
I recently decided to give programming a go as I was kind of getting bored, disillusioned and uninspired by my current career path.
I want something more challanging, creative and fullfiling...And looking at my strength and interest, I realise I tilt towards number and analytic bent, so the idea of data science becomes tempting and prospective for me.
After some research about how to start, and my need for a solid background in the enterprise of programming and computer sci, I stumbled on CS5O being run by Havard on Edx, and adjudged with good reviews for beginners....so I'm following CS50 to get the basics, hoping that afterward, I can now progress to concentrate on datascience using python and its libraries, SQL and R.
.....While working on C, I get worried or sceptical abt the relevance of C in the long run..since I wouldn't probably run data analysis with C...I wonder why Havard introduce computer scien with C....And sometimes I hope I am not just wasting my time with C and following CS50...Just worried.
Will appreciate your advice and input. Thanks.

Hi, if data science is what you want, here's what I will recommend, go all in on data science starting with python for data analysis instead of running round and round.

Search for Data Science Nigeria on Instagram and follow them. If you use telegram, do the same and join the channel, right now, there's an ongoing 50 days of AI prebootcamp going on. You may have missed that one but it's never a bad idea to be as close to information as much as possible.

So go and join so you can network with like minds.

Ask if you can still join any of the streams for the prebootcamp.

Also, register on Kaggle, Kaggle has some beginner courses you can take with certificate given so you can get started quickly and begin playing with datasets.

Join freecodecamp as well and take their Python for Data Analysis course. In my opinion this is the one you should be doing instead of that cs50 something.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by MXray: 2:10pm On Sep 11, 2021
wetdspace:
Hello Gurus
Please I need a guide.
I just made decisions to go for programming and probably full stack that would enable me get a remote job.
I’m an idealistic person so I would love something that would be able to make me develop my ideas.
Especially in fintech industry.

I need help cos I want to focus on this.

Please help me out, advice, links, leads, critics is needed.

I just want to start something very meaningful with myself.

Thank you.

PS. If you see this on another topic, it’s me I’m just looking for where to get genuine answers. Thanks.

Hello, do you know about Ustacky?

Search for them, and sign up with them, you can get a scholarship for full-stack programming and between now ans december you'd be job ready.

I got a scholarship with them just by answering a few questions, for python full stack web developer, for just 10k

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by MXray: 2:20pm On Sep 11, 2021
Ennyboy12:
Thanks.

Join Data Science Nigeria, search for them on Telegram

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by MXray: 2:48pm On Sep 11, 2021
Sellout:
you are better off learning data engineering. There are more jobs for data engineers.

Your LinkedIn profile looks quite impressive...

What have you been doing so far to get a job in Data Science/Analytics/Business Intelligence?

Rather than waiting for job openings and applying have you mapped out a few prospective companies in given verticals that you'd like to work with...

For example, let's say that fintech intrigues you...

Have you mapped out like 20 to 30 fintech companies home and abroad that you'd like to work with?

Do you follow their company pages on LinkedIn, have you reached out to connect with a few of their key management staff?

Have you visited their career page on their website to see if there are openings or even leg-in-the-door kind of openings you can use to get yourself into the company?

Have you thought about visiting the companies career pages and shooting them a mail? Hit them cold?

Have you ever thought about running a LinkedIn ad that showcase what you can do and how you can add value for a prospective employer?

How big is your network?

You are far ahead of me in terms of skillset in data science, I'm coming up but I don't want to be heavy on all these skills and not have a job in 3 months after I'm done with building my data analytics portfolio.

PPS: How many jobs openings do you apply for in a day using Indeed and Glassdoor?

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by daddytime(m): 2:59pm On Sep 11, 2021
I've been struggling to load a particular data set to complete my IBM Data Analyst Capstone Project with no luck. I don't know what could be wrong with the data set and can't find any help to resolve it from even the staffs at IBM. I've been stuck on it for 2 weeks now.

I just tire.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by lovelybobo: 5:34pm On Sep 11, 2021
daddytime:
I've been struggling to load a particular data set to complete my IBM Data Analyst Capstone Project with no luck. I don't know what could be wrong with the data set and can't find any help to resolve it from even the staffs at IBM. I've been stuck on it for 2 weeks now.

I just tire.

can you post the particular error message you are getting.
From my experience, most of the loading problem in python has to do with the encoding
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by daddytime(m): 6:04pm On Sep 11, 2021
lovelybobo:

can you post the particular error message you are getting.
From my experience, most of the loading problem in python has to do with the encoding

We are to work on the project from the IBM Cloud Pak for Data Platform and the error is as attached.

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by athant: 3:41am On Sep 12, 2021
Jjhhhh
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by Wfsholla90(m): 11:15am On Sep 12, 2021
Good Morning Bosses. I've been an ardent follower of this thread from day One, and I've learnt enough information to kick-start my Career in Data Science (I have HND in SLT Physics with Electronics option) which by the way is completely useless in Nigeria anyways.

Unavailability of laptop; which is an indispensable tool had been an obstacle for a very long time. Tho I have managed to save 100k to get one by the end of this month hopefully.

So bottom line is I'd like to seek the assistance of the Masters in this field, what brand and capacity should I opt for that is efficient for A Data Analyst #1 P.s: This is actually important because I had to struggle for 10months to save that much, I can't afford buying a scrap it might take me another 10 months to save another �

Can I get anyOne that will mentor me through the cause of the learning process at least #2.

This is very important because I'm opting for self study, I can't afford a paid programme at the moment.
Thank you.
If you can be of help please � don't ignore.
N.B: Any learning resources or paid courses that can be of help will be really appreciated, I can actually shuttle between Lagos and Ogun State for that.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by dauddy97(m): 2:28pm On Sep 12, 2021
Wfsholla90:
Good Morning Bosses. I've been an ardent follower of this thread from day One, and I've learnt enough information to kick-start my Career in Data Science (I have HND in SLT Physics with Electronics option) which by the way is completely useless in Nigeria anyways.

Unavailability of laptop; which is an indispensable tool had been an obstacle for a very long time. Tho I have managed to save 100k to get one by the end of this month hopefully.

So bottom line is I'd like to seek the assistance of the Masters in this field, what brand and capacity should I opt for that is efficient for A Data Analyst #1 P.s: This is actually important because I had to struggle for 10months to save that much, I can't afford buying a scrap it might take me another 10 months to save another �

Can I get anyOne that will mentor me through the cause of the learning process at least #2.

This is very important because I'm opting for self study, I can't afford a paid programme at the moment.
Thank you.
N.B: Any learning resources or paid courses that can be of help will be really appreciated, I can actually shuttle between Lagos and Ogun State for that.

Hello man. I can help you with tones of tutorial and projects for a few box. From beginner to experts. I actually tutor but won't have time. But, i have free paid downloaded and comprehensive courses you can always watch at your our pace. Do WhatsApp me so we talk on how to meet and negotiate. O81. 494 284. 9O. Based in Lagos. Mind you, i also have cracked Tableau software.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by dauddy97(m): 2:30pm On Sep 12, 2021
daddytime:

We are to work on the project from the IBM Cloud Pak for Data Platform and the error is as attached.
What's the project about? Can you explain a brief, What exactly is the assistant you want if i can come in. Better still, are you using Seaborn to load the dataset or Tableau?
Re: Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst by kennethfranc(m): 6:42pm On Sep 12, 2021
Wfsholla90:

Thank you.
We are in the same lane... I will complete my own payment by ending of this month.
For the materials, if you religiously read through this thread from page one, you will find all the links to the materials you will need for the study.
Search and join "Udemyking Free Courses" on telegram and you have access to many "udemy paid courses" for free. We can link up if you don't mind 08144539463

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (146) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.