Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,168 members, 7,780,190 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:40 AM

Android, Anyone? - Phones (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android, Anyone? (181596 Views)

Where Can I Get The Oneplus One Android. Anyone? / Icmp Isssh Android Anyone droid vpn + bis? / Android, Anyone? Part II (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (112) (Go Down)

Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day1: 3:17am On Dec 09, 2010
moonraker:

bro, i get it, but if fragmentation is the issue here then maybe you should

look at winmos stats and compared it to the andriod platform, the G1 was never

offficially upgrade to donut 1.6. the winmo devices on the other hand has had better

support, my now sold winmo device (Touch pro) was supported 6.1 to 6-5. i knew a friends

device that was supoort 6.0 from 5.0. in a nut shell, how do u convince clients that the andriod

platform is cost efficient, stable etc, how do you convince a lame man who wants more but doesnt

want to break the bank

grin I dont really think android is for the lame man, or the simple sms and calls phone users, i believe its for the geeks,
Those who loves tinkering and just love being an iphone rebel grin
And its all DIY grin
One of the beauties of the os, is actually the problem we've been discussing about, i mean the openess and the hackability, also the underground community surrounding the phone, lets face it, how many ordinary Joes will dare to fumble with their blackberries and symbians grin
Here is a quote that really sum up what i'm saying "Android has come to represent a kind of hacker counterculture, whose members dismiss the iPhone as closed, proprietary, and designed "for dummies" and sheep. I thought Pogue's review was well done, but I'll admit it. When I go to a tech conference I expect to see most people carrying an iPhone. But when I spot an Android handset (which I do more and more)? A small part of my brain assumes that person is someone with superior technical skill, someone who values openness, and someone who is ahead of the curve"
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day1: 3:20am On Dec 09, 2010
[size=15pt]I NOTICE U CANT EDIT YOUR POST HERE, WHY NOW?[/size]
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day1: 7:06am On Dec 09, 2010
See what i'm talkin about above!
Wanted to add "grin" to NOTICE above, but can't, u sometimes type rubbish when using a mobile to access the site, who is the smart moderator, that decided to lock every post from modification?
Re: Android, Anyone? by Nobody: 8:07am On Dec 09, 2010
@na2day!

Your battery saver thing works well! Thanks again.
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 8:26am On Dec 09, 2010
@na2day!:

Here is a quote that really sum up what i'm saying "Android has come to represent a kind of hacker counterculture, whose members dismiss the iPhone as closed, proprietary, and designed "for dummies" and sheep. I thought Pogue's review was well done, but I'll admit it. When I go to a tech conference I expect to see most people carrying an iPhone. But when I spot an Android handset (which I do more and more)? A small part of my brain assumes that person is someone with superior technical skill, someone who values openness, and someone who is ahead of the curve"

Good thing for you that it's a 'small' part of your brain. Were it to be a large part of your brain, i'd be extremely concerned for you.

Remember, if you don't 'root' your Android phone, you're almost as 'restricted' as those using the iPhone. And if you jailbreak your iPhone, you're just as 'free' as any Android user.
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day1: 9:01am On Dec 09, 2010
@tezzazpete
Let me lecture u a bit!
What is rooting?
What is jailbreaking?
Rooting = Gain root access (root user, user 0)
Jailbreaking = same as rooting except in android you are never bound by a proprietary bootloader/software so its not jailbreaking per say, same concept though!
So may I ask u, where are ur iPhone custom Roms?
Just because ure using some bootlegged apps on ur iPhone does that qualify as open in ur mind, I'm honestly refraining myself from passing insults on u! angry
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day1: 9:13am On Dec 09, 2010
@ileke idi
U're welcome!
And welcome back!
Re: Android, Anyone? by Nobody: 9:19am On Dec 09, 2010
@Texazz and Na2day!,

You two should not be fighting. Plz drop it.
We, the viewers, are more interesting in getting program infos than to sit here and read posts over posts of drivels.
I seriously dont get you Nigerian men [ SMH!]

@na2day!:

@ileke idi
U're welcome!
And welcome back!
lol thanks.
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 9:28am On Dec 09, 2010
@na2day!:

@tezzazpete
Let me lecture u a bit!
What is rooting?
What is jailbreaking?
Rooting = Gain root access (root user, user 0)
Jailbreaking = same as rooting except in android you are never bound by a proprietary bootloader/software so its not jailbreaking per say, same concept though!

I'm glad you're capable of admitting it's the same concept. Both rooting and Jailbreaking allow you to push your phone to areas the phone manufacturers never intended you to go. So what's the difference again?

@na2day!:

So may I ask u, where are your iPhone custom Roms?
Just because ure using some bootlegged apps on your iPhone does that qualify as open in your mind, I'm honestly refraining myself from passing insults on u! angry

Try harder, Mr Lecturer. Custom Roms for iPhone exist, but on a much smaller scale than those for Android. Why? because the iOS is a much more polished and refined OS than Android, and as such needs less tweaking and porting. It doesn't suffer significantly from the fragmentation issues that plague the Android platform, so there's no need to go down that route.

jailbreaking isn't just for 'bootlegged apps'. It would help if you used that aforementioned brain to do some research into the matter. There are tens or hundreds of thousands of apps on Cydia that add new experiences to the iPhone. Apps like Wifi routers, more intuitive SMS messaging, tweaks, themes, emulators etc do not qualify as 'bootlegged apps'.

Android is mass market now, there's nothing in the platform that should give anyone any geek cred. It's just as brainless as the perception that Blackberry users are more 'serious' than say, Nokia users. If you want geek cred, go with the N900.
if you think holding a Galaxy S or a HTC Magic says 'top notch hacker', then you need a rethink ASAP.

All of you spout the whole 'Android is open' crap without even knowing what that means. So Google allows some app categories in their store that would never be allowed on Apple's appstore. Big deal. You want those apps on iPhone, grab them on Cydia.
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 9:29am On Dec 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

We, the viewers, are more interesting in getting program infos than to sit here and read posts over posts of drivels.

You do know that 'drivel' is not a flattering term to use, right? (an insult in this context actually)

Not exactly the best way to 'make peace'.
Re: Android, Anyone? by moonraker(m): 9:31am On Dec 09, 2010
@ na2day

Ok!!! But you do realize that you dont exacting have to be a hacker to use

an andriod phone?? Installing apps on an andriod phone is almost same as the

iphone!!! So you concluding indirectly that owning an andriod phone makes you a geek

isnt valid at all, what abt cydia,(thousands of tweaks avaliable)??

ADB= OPEN SSH  no difference

Funny how to jump into smt different when i was talking of the upgradibility and life cycle of each

andriod phone ever produced,
Re: Android, Anyone? by moonraker(m): 9:34am On Dec 09, 2010
texazzpete:

I'm glad you're capable of admitting it's the same concept. Both rooting and Jailbreaking allow you to push your phone to areas the phone manufacturers never intended you to go. So what's the difference again?

Try harder, Mr Lecturer. Custom Roms for iPhone exist, but on a much smaller scale than those for Android. Why? because the iOS is a much more polished and refined OS than Android, and as such needs less tweaking and porting. It doesn't suffer significantly from the fragmentation issues that plague the Android platform, so there's no need to go down that route.

jailbreaking isn't just for 'bootlegged apps'. It would help if you used that aforementioned brain to do some research into the matter. There are tens or hundreds of thousands of apps on Cydia that add new experiences to the iPhone. Apps like Wifi routers, more intuitive SMS messaging, tweaks, themes, emulators etc do not qualify as 'bootlegged apps'.

Thank very much Tex, You hitt the nail on the head!!!

Android is mass market now, there's nothing in the platform that should give anyone any geek cred. It's just as brainless as the perception that Blackberry users are more 'serious' than say, Nokia users. If you want geek cred, go with the N900.
if you think holding a Galaxy S or a HTC Magic says 'top notch hacker', then you need a rethink ASAP.

All of you spout the whole 'Android is open' crap without even knowing what that means. So Google allows some app categories in their store that would never be allowed on Apple's appstore. Big deal. You want those apps on iPhone, grab them on Cydia.
Re: Android, Anyone? by Nobody: 9:36am On Dec 09, 2010
texazzpete:

You do know that 'drivel' is not a flattering term to use, right? (an insult in this context actually)

Not exactly the best way to 'make peace'.

lol pele.
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 10:47am On Dec 09, 2010
@Moonraker
Leave them! When we were running N64 and Playstation emulators on our iPhones, Android lovers were still trying to run GBA and SNES titles on their G1s and Magics.
Even now that the hardware battle is more even, most of the cool apps come to iOS first. And the iPhone is just as well covered on the indie and 'hacker' front.
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day1: 5:07pm On Dec 09, 2010
texazzpete:

OMG shocked shocked shocked

Sorry to say, but dude,do u really understand what opensource is?
Opensource does NOT mean that anyone can get an app approved to be in the android market or ur cydia. It means the code is available for anyone to look at, alter, compile and reuse. Again, sorry to say, but, u shouldn't talk about what u don't know!

“open-source.” This means instead of just 1 company working on the code, an unlimited number of people are able to do so. This has many advantages. First of all, open sourced software tends to be more secure than proprietary software because thousands of eyeballs are pouring over the code every day. Holes in the software are quickly found and patched. Second, since it is open source, there is no Big Brother lurking around and seeing if the developers are being more creative than Big Brother himself. Creativity is encouraged not squashed. Right now, i have another android phone apart from my HTC desire, its running the bleeding edge version of Android on my mytouch 3g. It is version 2.1. The official t-mobile version is 1.6. But because I have rooted my phone and the OS is open-sourced, I can stay as up to date as I want. In fact, I load a new ROM on my phone at least once a week. You could say I’m addicted to the bleeding edge.
The fact that the Android platform _is_ open source is the reason why there's a zillion no-name phones and tablets coming out of China with Android pre-loaded, and - count 'em! - none with Windows Mobile or iPhone OS; because the manufacturers can't adapt those OSes to the hardware they're shipping, but they can with Android.

1 Like

Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day1: 5:10pm On Dec 09, 2010
Ennuf said!

You guys really need to give google credit for coming from nobody in the smartphone's space and confronting head on the behemoth of apple and almost getting ready, i ready to overtake.
I just read today that over 300,000 android phones are getting activated daily! grin
Re: Android, Anyone? by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:06pm On Dec 09, 2010
well aint no phone geek but i do know for a fact that actually, most of the clones out of china sport windows mobile 6.5 and not android.
funny u mention it but i never came across a chinko fone online or real life with android on it

point me in the direction of one please

anyway, really who cares? do u people even know that these ur debate veers on the pointless? Texazzpete has a predilection of jumping into debates on NL to pass his spare time grin grin grin he finds it stimulating tongue tongue (go spend some of the time u spend typing these flames on the wifey man)
tongue tongue tongue cool
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day1: 6:37pm On Dec 09, 2010
4llerbuntu:

tongue tongue (go spend some of the time u spend typing these flames on the wifey man)
tongue tongue tongue cool

grin grin grin grin
LOL
Wetin nairaland go cause, just got back from work now and saw d post of texazz and moonraker, na him i reply o! grin grin grin

@chinese tablets, its all over the place naa, i mean K.I.R.F's

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/345475611/10_inch_Android_tablet_PC.html

and they are also very cheap, i dont advise you buy them naa!
Re: Android, Anyone? by moonraker(m): 9:22pm On Dec 09, 2010
@ na2day

shocked shocked shocked

The fact that the Android platform _is_ open source is the reason why there's a zillion no-name phones and tablets coming out of China with Android pre-loaded, and - count 'em! - none with Windows Mobile or iPhone OS; because the manufacturers can't adapt those OSes to the hardware they're shipping, but they can with Android.

are u serious

Look, the fact you dont see winmo and OsX devices around on alibaba or online generally doesnt mean that they dont exist,

I am very close to the chinese market and i can tell u that such technologies does exist. its just hasnt been publized,

lets get back to basics on source code and ported, do you realize that winmo 6.5 and 7 and ports woth tweaking from the

main Os itself?? same goes for OSX am sorry, where does andriod come from again??

once again, let me school you, both the OSX platform and winmo are designed to do anything and everything on a device

which makes it appealing to the eye, e.g games!!!!

remind me!!!! how many mainstream games can one play right now on your most powerful device?? yep i thought so too,

i was playing a version of tictactoe (avaliable on the app store and winmo market) for the andriod version and its rubbish,

enuff said,

The issue of fragmentation isnt pecuilar to the andriod platform, so that isnt an excuse.

andriod right now isnt gonna be able to catch up to any of its competitor right now. not even in the next 3years!!!
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 9:34pm On Dec 09, 2010
@na2day!:

OMG shocked shocked shocked

Sorry to say, but dude,do u really understand what opensource is?
Opensource does NOT mean that anyone can get an app approved to be in the android market or your cydia. It means the code is available for anyone to look at, alter, compile and reuse. Again, sorry to say, but, u shouldn't talk about what u don't know!

“open-source.” This means instead of just 1 company working on the code, an unlimited number of people are able to do so. This has many advantages. First of all, open sourced software tends to be more secure than proprietary software because thousands of eyeballs are pouring over the code every day. Holes in the software are quickly found and patched. Second, since it is open source, there is no Big Brother lurking around and seeing if the developers are being more creative than Big Brother himself. Creativity is encouraged not squashed. Right now, i have another android phone apart from my HTC desire, its running the bleeding edge version of Android on my mytouch 3g. It is version 2.1. The official t-mobile version is 1.6. But because I have rooted my phone and the OS is open-sourced, I can stay as up to date as I want. In fact, I load a new ROM on my phone at least once a week. You could say I’m addicted to the bleeding edge.

You just don't get it, do you?
I'm talking about the 'openness' experienced by the average consumer out there. No matter how much talk about Android being open, updates to Android is being driven almost solely by Google and the updates come out when they feel like it. No matter how much tinkering you do, how much of it makes its way to official Android rollouts?
The custom roms you're flashing are pretty much stock Android with a few tweaks rolled in by people like Cyanogen. And to be honest, we saw exactly the same scenario in the days of Windows mobile 5 and 6. In fact, a cursory look at XDA-Developers will show you that there are thousands of custom ROMs for Windows Mobile devices, made by hundreds of ROM chefs.
So by your definition, does that mean Windows Mobile 5 is open?

What do i really expect from someone who says Android 2.1 is 'bleeding edge'? 2.2 FroYo has been out for many many months now. Smh.

PS: All those cheap tablets come shipped with some of the core Google Android apps (Gmail, Market) stripped out. I guess some things are more 'open' than others, abi?

So far, all you've done to defend your 'open' stance is to mention custom ROMs. And we've established that that's a moot point.
Re: Android, Anyone? by texazzpete(m): 9:39pm On Dec 09, 2010
@na2day!:

You guys really need to give google credit for coming from nobody in the smartphone's space and confronting head on the behemoth of apple and almost getting ready, i ready to overtake.
I just read today that over 300,000 android phones are getting activated daily! grin

You see why i feel you really don't know much of what you're talking about?
When Google launched Android with the G1 in 2008, Apple was still an emerging player and not yet the 'behemoth' it is today.
The dominant players were RIM (blackberry) in North America and Nokia in Europe.
It's a well known fact that most of Android's marketshare gains in North America came at the expense of RIM and Microsoft's Windows mobile. In Europe, Nokia's the behemoth being edged out.
Re: Android, Anyone? by kunleski: 2:49am On Dec 10, 2010
texazzpete:

You just don't get it, do you?
What do i really expect from someone who says Android 2.1 is 'bleeding edge'? 2.2 FroYo has been out for many many months now. Smh.

PS: All those cheap tablets come shipped with some of the core Google Android apps (Gmail, Market) stripped out. I guess some things are more 'open' than others, abi?

So far, all you've done to defend your 'open' stance is to mention custom ROMs. And we've established that that's a moot point.

Who doesn't know that froyo was the last major release apart from the gingerbread that just came up days ago, you could've gotten dat from my previous posts! i meant to write to write 2.2 and the dang post could not be modified, I've already made the complaint above!
My htc mytouch 3g has been running many variant of froyo since around may, and right now i'm experimenting with the gongerbread, though some of the hardwares are not working yet grin but will very soon! when the kinks are ironed our! grin
The SDK Tools, the ADT Plugin and the new NDK are out there!
Re: Android, Anyone? by kunleski: 2:54am On Dec 10, 2010
grin yeah, thats me grin
i'm havin issues loggin in wit my other user id
Re: Android, Anyone? by flyuche(m): 6:01am On Dec 10, 2010
another interesting thread in a long time. cool
Re: Android, Anyone? by moonraker(m): 7:53am On Dec 10, 2010
@na2day!:

let me repeat what i said b4, the problem u're talking about is android fragmentation!
The problem, most of us think about when we talk about fragmentation is the multiple different versions of Android currently being shipped. Device makers and carriers are remarkably incapable, and this total lack of competence is only highlighted by Android. Every Android device - including the G1 - can run Froyo, Android 2.2, the latest version(gingerbread).
Sadly, device makers and carriers block the upgrade process with their immense incompetence. I can't highlight enough just how incompetent many device makers and carriers are, leading to devices shipped today that still run Android 1.5 or 1.6, and the old ones not getting updated. How difficult is it to do the update? if the dev community can port it within weeks, its just sheer laziness on their part! angry
But what i think is that Google really need to wield the big stick and if it does there may be accusations again of it trying to be an Overlord.
Just my two cents anyway grin

Na2day, Thank you sooo much!!!! now i understand what you mean by overlay, but you need to understand something,

Without those overlays in question, the andriod platform would be less appealling. without the support of HTC (Sense UI)

The Andriod Interface is pooo, Go check out Winmo 7 or even Ios, Polished shitz Out of the box, even nokia meamo is by far

better than andriod, this is how bad it is, This is why Linux would never ever be the number one OS in the market,
Re: Android, Anyone? by spcoded: 3:53pm On Dec 11, 2010
Hi all ,am new to this thread . I want to know wat your android phone unique than other and also wat is the point of having it and you will be paying through your nose for application . I mean give me reasons to discard my n97. If the ans is ok ,what android one can get in nigeria at affordable price , i mean good one.
Re: Android, Anyone? by twinskenny(m): 7:07pm On Dec 11, 2010
spcoded:

Hi all ,am new to this thread . I want to know wat your android phone unique than other and also wat is the point of having it and you will be paying through your nose for application . I mean give me reasons to discard my n97. If the ans is ok ,what android one can get in nigeria at affordable price , i mean good one.

trust me bro, if u read from the beginning of this thread you discard that ur N97 in no time
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day1: 10:05am On Dec 12, 2010
[size=13pt]netTALK[/size] app

Make Free Calls with netTALK. netTALK allows you to make VOIP calls without using cell minutes. Not only is the app available for free but it also allows you to make free calls to any number in the US and Canada. Yes!! Absolutely free.

You can call up your friend’s cellphone and landline in the U.S. The call quality is great. It would depend on the speed of your wifi connection or mobile data connection. The app does require you to register once.

The app does not take anytime to load. It works without any problems on any android phone running at least Android 2.1.

There is no option to send text messages in the app. The app has 3 tabs: a dialpad, a call log and one for your phone contacts.

If you have friends or family living in the US or Canada, you should definitely try out this app. This is the only app I have come across which is offering unlimited calls for free.
Re: Android, Anyone? by otumfour(m): 4:51pm On Dec 12, 2010
grin grin grin. N97, I'v bin there b4, cool fon no doubt, but I tellz ya, 1's u go "ANDROID" u be smelling fresh like "ALTOIDS" grin grin grin

Anywayz, all you Android users cud also try the "SLIDE ME MARKET" they'v got 1000's of free-cool apps and some paid apps of course, holla!
Re: Android, Anyone? by Azanor(m): 2:34pm On Dec 14, 2010
A little analysis info that I found on the internet. Should be enlightening: http:///5AhOp
Re: Android, Anyone? by na2day1: 3:20pm On Dec 14, 2010
[size=13pt]WhatsApp[/size] is a messaging app which allows you to send texts, audio files, video clips, pictures and location updates to your friends for free i.e. without having to pay for sms. It is a cross platform app currently available for Android, Blackberry and Iphone (A beta version has been released for Nokia phones). You can send texts and files only to your friends who have this app installed on their phones. The texts are sent using GPRS, EDGE or Wifi connection of your cellphone.

The app interface is similar to the basic iphone text app. You can custom set the notification for new messages.

The great feature of this app is that whenever any of your contact starts using WhatsApp your WhatsApp contact list is automatically updated. In other similar messaging apps you are generally required to add username.

Currently the App can be downloaded for free from the Android Market. The app is free for one year after which the subscription charges would be $1.99 per year.

[img]http://www.htcapplications.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/WhatsApp-Messenger-Android.jpg[/img]
Re: Android, Anyone? by lynxnoon(m): 4:28pm On Dec 14, 2010
this Google Nexus S no try jare!!. . . .
cool phone but no "WOW" factor undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (112)

How To Stop Automatic Touches On Screens Of Your Android Phones And Tablet / How To Turn WhatsApp Off Without Turning-Off Your Data / How To Borrow Airtime From Glo Using “borrow Me Credit”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.