Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,898 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette (10626 Views)

The Dos And Don'ts Of Applying For A Tech Internship / The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette Few Things Can Tarnish Your Prof / The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by Researchclue: 10:05am On Oct 24, 2019
The Dos and Don’ts of Business Email Etiquette

Few things can tarnish your professional brand quite like a poorly written, misguided email. Whether you’re a senior professional or an office newbie, here are 13 must-remember dos and don’ts of business email etiquette.

1. Do Pay Attention to The Subject Line
Write a clear, concise subject line that reflects the body of the email. Avoid subject lines with general words like, “Hi,” “Touching Base,” or “FYI,” and do not leave the subject line blank.

2. Do Use a Proper Salutation
“Hi” and “Hey” communicate a lack of professionalism and maturity. Begin your email with phrases such as “Good morning,” “Good afternoon,” “Good evening,” or “Hello.” “Good day” or “Greetings” are other phrases used frequently in the international arena.

3. Do Use an Introduction. eg. “My name is Sharon Schweitzer and I am an International Business Expert writing to you about . . .”
4. Do Know The Culture
5. Don’t Include Humor and Sarcasm
6. Do Double-Check Your Attachments
7. Don’t Hit “Reply All”
8. Do Reply Expediently
Replying within 24 hours is common courtesy. Leave someone hanging for any longer and you are not only perceived as rude
9. Don’t Use Emojis

10. Do Protect Privacy
11. Don’t Be Negative
12. Do Proofread
13. Don’t Forget the Conversation Closer
By letting the recipient know that a response isn’t needed, the email cycle doesn’t continue on in perpetuity. Close with “No reply necessary,” “Thank you again,” “See you at the board meeting Tuesday” or “Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.” End your email with a closing such as “Best,” “Best Regards,” “Sincerely,” “Thank you” or another appropriate phrase

29 Likes 9 Shares

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by ostopsmich(m): 11:08am On Oct 25, 2019
FTC ... Hurray. Blessing all around me today

Nice and educative topic

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by one1prax(m): 11:08am On Oct 25, 2019
a million thanks to you, i've been making a lot of mistakes. thanks, this really helps

Promo alert, for 13k only, get your own professionnal website or blog. conact - see red writing below[my signature]

1 Like

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by m140(m): 11:08am On Oct 25, 2019
Roger that
Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:09am On Oct 25, 2019
Thumbs up OP.

Good thread.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by Hotzone(m): 11:11am On Oct 25, 2019
All these na long talk...just tell client to pay

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by Kul3ger(m): 11:12am On Oct 25, 2019
After booking space, Musa the gateman is confused.

What is Business Email Etiquette?

"Watin concern agbero with overload" he wonders

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by datola: 11:15am On Oct 25, 2019
Okay
Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by Iykolysis: 11:16am On Oct 25, 2019
23. Avoid breaking email chain or trail to keep the conversation flowing with backdrop info and facilitate better understanding.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by Chuknovski(m): 11:21am On Oct 25, 2019
Very nice

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by Offpoint: 11:22am On Oct 25, 2019
Someone should please patronize this website guys, they've hijack nairaland.

1 Like

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by Bigval5: 11:23am On Oct 25, 2019
44. Never reply with short forms
Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by Bigval5: 11:24am On Oct 25, 2019
Offpoint:
Someone should please patronize this website guys, they've hijack nairaland.

You truly sound like your name

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by ctleurocollege: 11:24am On Oct 25, 2019
Good information

Contact me if you want to study in Cyprus
Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by Offpoint: 11:31am On Oct 25, 2019
Bigval5:

You truly sound like your name
Do you want me to sound like your name before ni?

1 Like

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by yusufmurry: 11:40am On Oct 25, 2019
I once wrote my line manager, and I started with "Hello"...

She immediately called me to her office and warned me that was rude say hello.

I learned that but just avoided her with that anytime.

I think the best is to know what beat for your organization because many flag red some of what mentioned

3 Likes

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by BRATISLAVA: 11:49am On Oct 25, 2019
yusufmurry:
I once wrote my line manager, and I started with "Hello"...

She immediately called me to her office and warned me that was rude say hello.

I learned that but just avoided her with that anytime.

I think the best is to know what beat for your organization because many flag red some of what mentioned
that's what the poster is saying. Don't use hello in formal emails, because they aren't your buddies

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by BitmapStudios: 11:56am On Oct 25, 2019
I love the 'hi!' I feel it's more relaxing.
cool
Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by Tomvi: 12:06pm On Oct 25, 2019
[s]
post=83447549:
Thumbs up OP.

Good thread.
[/s]
Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 25, 2019
I needed to see this. Thanks for sharing.
Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by BrutusOj(m): 12:46pm On Oct 25, 2019
BRATISLAVA:
that's what the poster is saying. Don't use hello in formal emails, because they aren't your buddies
Hello isn't a bad way to start a formal conversation, it's only here that bosses see their subordinates as their slaves.

1 Like

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by BrutusOj(m): 12:49pm On Oct 25, 2019
Just to add to the above points. The bosses in the house here, always acknowledge receipt of mails with Received, read, thanks. Don't just read a mail and ignore the sender.
Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by Legendguru: 3:41pm On Oct 25, 2019
Good
Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by CrystalMax: 5:09pm On Oct 25, 2019
No. 7 is the most annoying when abused.
Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by BRATISLAVA: 5:19pm On Oct 25, 2019
BrutusOj:
Hello isn't a bad way to start a formal conversation, it's only here that bosses see their subordinates as their slaves.
world over it reeks unnecessary familiarity. Maybe Google bosses allow that. Not other executives

1 Like

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 25, 2019
Hotzone:
All these na long talk...just tell client to pay

1 Share

Re: The Dos And Don’ts Of Business Email Etiquette by tk4rd: 8:26am On Oct 26, 2019
I will come back to comment on this space later..

(1) (Reply)

Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver / Exxonmobil Workers Begin Three-day Warning Strike / Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.