Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,945 members, 7,799,204 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:57 PM

Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) (22032 Views)

Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Otorisirieze Obi-young Gets New Job After Sack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by aspirebig: 8:50am On Oct 29, 2019
Go to the new job please. No time .

My reasons are below:
1. Raising her salary from 430k to 850k,which is 50% pay rise means the person had been grossly underpaid for long,undervalued and less appreciated in the old firm.
2. If they increase the salary, what about the other benefits that comes with new job? Would they be increased as well?
3. Even if we often hear that salary is confidential,most often, it is not. The colleagues will get to know about the increase and such could cause tension and animosity in the work place. People know people salary, no matter how confidential. Is only a matter of time, afterall it is human being that works in your salary unit and they have friends.
4.Move to the new place to get new exposure and also career boost.It is a plus for you than staying in one place doing the same monotonous role because of money. Money alone should not be the determinant here. Your happiness matters too.
5. If by tomorrow, another company offers 1m monthly, is the old company willing to pay the money?
6.If there is job satisfaction, would the person be looking else where in the first instance?
7. Minus the salary, there could other reasons why the employee is seeking a greener pasture, have they been looked into? It could be relationship with boss, colleagues, when staff feedback are not taken for crucial decision making,rigid organisational process, and other matters that could be of concern.
8. What if he is a manager in the old job, and the new job is offering him a senior manager, so he should leave the new role and remain with the old role,when the new role will usher him into a senior strategic position in the firm.
9.The change of environment is good for his career profile,he will definitely learn some new things in the new place, as new roles comes with its own challenges,lessons,and also gains as well.
10.Finally, is going to make new friends,contacts,learn new tricks on the job and also have a vast experience, which money cannot buy. This will make the employee a dynamic asset,instead of staying behind because of money. With time,he will look back and know he made the right decision to leave. Avoid fear of the unknown, face your fear and conquer it.

So that It not limited to aforementioned points above,to me the new job is the way to go, from there, he will apply for something bigger.

3 Likes

Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by Advancedman(m): 8:50am On Oct 29, 2019
martyns303:
Stay with the company. This happens every time, when you newly join a company, you are inexperienced or not as much experienced so your pay may be lower, over time, your salary should be reviewed. However, except there is a general salary standard for that position, your salary may not be reviewed on time, for obvious reasons.

She should stay with her company because for them to increase her salary, it means they know her value and they are willing to match her new offer to keep her based on her current performance, it will show that she is committed to the company and the company will be indebted to her, they will also understand that she is valuable and can easily get a new offer elsewhere.

This new company will not value her as much, they believe they are offering her better than what she’s earning before and as such there’s no where better for her to go. That if her previous place was better, she wouldn’t have left, for offering her better than what she’s currently earning, they will expect her to perform wonders, putting her under serious pressure.

And by the way, she will soon find out that N850k is not so much.

Your point point is defending the current company and bad mouthing the new that they will not appreciate her pls be critical in opinion.

The company didn't promote her to about 650 but suddenly match the exact new payment something isn't right.

The new company is giving her an entry level of what the current is chasing to retain. But all you said about the new company is evil prejudice and a negative one for that matter.
It's too early to address sadist

1 Like

Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by Advancedman(m): 8:52am On Oct 29, 2019
rentAcock:
This is very simple. If she likes her current job, she should absolutely stay with the increased salary. But If she doesn't like her current job, she should leave to the new employer. Her current employer may try to frustrate her or overwhelm her with work now they've increased her pay. But if she feels like her current boss is reasonable and wouldn't try to sabotage her, then let her stay put.
The boss can't be reasonable someone who couldn't increase her pay until she's almost gone.
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by deltateam: 8:56am On Oct 29, 2019
EmptyCoconutHead:
na lies oga don't believe this nonsense.
or maybe it's 850k annually

You will be surprised. Ask how much people earn abroad you will SHOUT.

Even baby sitters or nannies earn more than some managers.
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by FKMagazine(m): 8:58am On Oct 29, 2019
martyns303:
Stay with the company. This happens every time, when you newly join a company, you are inexperienced or not as much experienced so your pay may be lower, over time, your salary should be reviewed. However, except there is a general salary standard for that position, your salary may not be reviewed on time, for obvious reasons.

She should stay with her company because for them to increase her salary, it means they know her value and they are willing to match her new offer to keep her based on her current performance, it will show that she is committed to the company and the company will be indebted to her, they will also understand that she is valuable and can easily get a new offer elsewhere.

This new company will not value her as much, they believe they are offering her better than what she’s earning before and as such there’s no where better for her to go. That if her previous place was better, she wouldn’t have left, for offering her better than what she’s currently earning, they will expect her to perform wonders, putting her under serious pressure.

Pls go with this @OP
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by davillian(m): 8:59am On Oct 29, 2019
what I will do if I'm the CEO of the company you working for
I will promise to pay you 850k but I won't pay it twice
This is Nigeria you can always get someone better for the job for half d price aunty no work outside.
So imma keep you and start a hunt for your replacement I can't just let you go like that.
Masters degree, 1st class with 20 years experience with 500k monthly salary you go fear turn up on interview date...
If they increased it from 480k to 550k or 580 k then stay
That matching increase is a trap.

1 Like

Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by opskfythyeu: 9:01am On Oct 29, 2019
cheesy
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by EmptyCoconutHead(m): 9:03am On Oct 29, 2019
deltateam:

You will be surprised. Ask how much people earn abroad you will SHOUT.

Even baby sitters or nannies earn more than some managers.
but the cost of living there is high
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by lekan3531(m): 9:04am On Oct 29, 2019
Wow...... I pity the lady.
I will advice her to leave for the new job.
The approve increasement is a scam becos they will be doing things that she will not take any more
that can lead to Job threaten that will make her to resign or get sacked by the company.
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by mojolajesu(m): 9:16am On Oct 29, 2019
she should weigh her options. check the new environment, challenges and opportunities. check the network and other benefits aside the pay. that would help her in making decisions.
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by kiddkash(m): 9:25am On Oct 29, 2019
martyns303:

most importantly she should consider good working conditions
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by ib22003(m): 9:31am On Oct 29, 2019
She should not allow anybody to deceive her. She should go to the new company, the old company might keep her to get a replacement. The new company is paying because cause they can afford to, the old one is trying to stop the bleeding. Always remember that when you work the in private sector that you are a mercenary, not a soldier, they can do away with you at any time. Aside from this, she should not rush and check the two options and she should be aware of the risks involved in staying
Bigval5:
She earns N430k;
She got an offer of N850k;
Her current company didn't want her to go, so they matched the figure;
Now she is dazed.

Could it be a trap? Why didn't they do this before now? Is staying a good decision? Will she regret staying or leaving?

She is absolutely confused, what do you advise?
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by mapet: 9:32am On Oct 29, 2019
martyns303:

I'm afraid, you've made arguments that are so faulty.

1. When did her current company realise her "value". When she indicated to go? Does this indicate they appreciate her or just want to use her?
2. Who told you it will show commitment and indebtedness. This is living in fools paradise. If a company can pay as low as less than 50% of what competition is offering, then such company was taking undue advantage up till that time. I know for a fact that organisation periodically benchmark staff pay with industry standards. When last did this company do this?
3. The new company will not value her much you claim, yet they offer more than double her current pay? You argument here makes no sense. Naturally they will expect here to work harder, because they saw the potential when they interviewed her.
4. Have you asked yourself if you want her to progress or retrogress. Why should she stay in a place that placed her below are true value? What even tells you 850k is are true worth. What if she deserves more yet can only get 850k because 350k was the reference figure

The OP has to make choices. Even though remuneration is not the only yardstick in determining a move, when a company offers to match what competition is offering, more than often it is a trap. If you fall for it, you have traded away your ability to negotiate. Even if the OP wants to stay, try negotiate upwards with your current company both in salary and position. If they don't give you both, then you should indeed move. It simply tells you it is not about your value they are thinking about, it is about the cost of replacing you (hiring someone at higher cost - position and salary)

2 Likes

Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by mapet: 9:32am On Oct 29, 2019
Preator:
Hmmn.
Once you have made known your intention to leave, never stay back no matter what they offer.
You either get dismissed later on (after you have lost the other offer) or you get marginalised because your intention to leave shows "disloyalty" and "lack of commitment" to your current workplace.

spot on
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by rafkollinz: 10:42am On Oct 29, 2019
My advice 4 u is dt it very best to stick with ur current job cus u will b a new to d present job n efritin will b on ur neck to perform miracle bud d former job will be like d promote u or watefa
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by Sarang(f): 10:44am On Oct 29, 2019
remedick:

Let me tell you what someone in Quora shared about this.

He was in similar situation and his manager promised to increase his pay. They convinced him to not take it and he was young. He listened. After refusing the new company, hell started. His manager made him go through hell and eventually sacked him.

He lost on both sides.
Some other commenter shared similar story.

MORAL OF THE LESSON? go for the new one.

Why is your current company ONLY seeing the need to increase your pay after new company offered u higher? Its a bait. Don't fall for it.

Go for the new company.

I read it too! She should go for the new company

1 Like

Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by ojuolu(m): 10:50am On Oct 29, 2019
Laird:
She should go to the new job
Except she is a management staff
You are spot on. She should go for the new job no matter what. The old job has way of coming back to hunt you for their last minutes forced decisions.

1 Like

Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by henryhemon(m): 10:55am On Oct 29, 2019
She doesn't have close friends to talk to na internet she wan get answer? Na confusion she go get finally. It is her decision to make, we don't know shit about any of the companies.
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by 4olasam173: 10:57am On Oct 29, 2019
Be rwql jorh.
She was earning 43k.
Her current job match the new offer for 85k.
Make she decided asap jorh.
New job, 85k.
Cos if her current job values her, they'll offer her at least 90k
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by jaxxy(m): 11:00am On Oct 29, 2019
Bigval5:
She earns N430k;
Now she is dazed.

Could it be a trap? Why didn't they do this before now? Is staying a good decision? Will she regret staying or leaving?

Evaluate the pedigree of ur current and new company and see which has more promise and prospects. As for if it’s a trap have u requested for a raise or promotion and were denied b4 now? The body language of ur company b4 and now shud tel u what’s up.

Since the pay are now dsame look for other yardsticks to determine which u stay with
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by mapet: 11:09am On Oct 29, 2019
shevon:
Back in 2010 I found myself in the same position, if I mention the difference in the amount I was being paid and what the company offered to pay because I got a new job, people will not believe it. I had to leave just because I felt the company I was working with was not sincere in dealing with me (and other staff to be honest). Why was it when a new job came calling that they knew to increase the pay? Why not pay their staff salary commensurate to their input if it is so valued? - Valid question
One thing to consider is that there is the tendency for you old job not to increase your salary again for a while, but if you perform in your new job and get confirmed, it might come with pay increase. - this is what I have seen happen in many cases
Besides that, a new job means new experiences and challenges to surmount and better your career; I have seen people that shrugged off fear of the unknown and were better for it.
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by saintneo(m): 11:42am On Oct 29, 2019
Bigval5:
She earns N430k;
Now she is dazed.

Best advice is to move on unless her relationship with the company is excellent. Even in the US almost all executives that received counter-offers from current employer regretted their decision to remain.
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by Acidosis(m): 12:02pm On Oct 29, 2019
rottennaija:
Move on and don't look back. But wait oo, people they receive that much a month in this country? Doing what?

..doing little. Most of the time, people like that get paid for their credentials. Whoever is earning that much must have spent so much on certifications, foreign degree, professional courses, etc. If you spend around 10-15m to acquire a foreign certification/degree, 800k salary wouldn't be a big deal.

2 Likes

Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by Edet08(m): 12:12pm On Oct 29, 2019
Most definitely...In the construction industry for instance, day rate for some professionals is as high as 40,000-60,000. Such jobs do exist my dear!

rottennaija:
Move on and don't look back. But wait oo, people they receive that much a month in this country? Doing what?
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by mapet: 12:13pm On Oct 29, 2019
Akexstinger:
Never accept a counter offer.
I was in the same shoe last two month. My old coy promised me heaven n earth, promised to increase my position, then even give me contracts. They begged me not to go, and I was already used to them. After wide consultations and reading so many opinions on quora, I went for the new offer just to save my head. If you stay back, your management will see you as a traitor and someone not reliable. It is like a stab. I made my MD to understand and he told me he knows that is what i am thinking and wouldn't want me to think like that, and that he was willing to overlook the fact that i already resigned and then stayed back because of increment and my job will still be intact. Me i no trust anybody, i just carry my bag jejely move.
It is true that the new coy might not even value you , they will see it as regular employment and they are paying you to do your job. But one thing you have to know is that no coy values her worker until such.worker gets a bigger and better job.

The moment you get another job and give notice of resignation, you have already put yourself in the market. At that point your value has appreciated higher than your current salary, higher than your new salary. If your company is renegotiating with you, they are getting into your head, denying you of seeing your new value.
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by mapet: 12:15pm On Oct 29, 2019
anonimi:

martyns303: :

How much experience do you have working or employing people
What you just typed there is trash. Sorry to say.

Worse than trash, absolute balderdash

1 Like

Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by mapet: 12:17pm On Oct 29, 2019
Bluffly:

Meet men of God, I mean men of God at least 3 separately. They'll pray for and with you. Whatever good message they give you that cuts across the 3 of them confirming each otherr, go for it

worse!

You want her to outsource her capacity to reason? Why don't she herself commit it to prayer. You want her to open avenue for "tithes" and "seed-offerings" in 3 multiple locations?
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by Cutehector(m): 12:31pm On Oct 29, 2019
generationz:

grin grin Some babes dey ball for this naija .
I am telling you. She must be a medical doctor or working in an oil firm
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by generationz(f): 12:40pm On Oct 29, 2019
Cutehector:
I am telling you. She must be a medical doctor or working in an oil firm
Doctor ke? I doubt o
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by generationz(f): 12:42pm On Oct 29, 2019
mapet:

worse!

You want her to outsource her capacity to reason? Why don't she herself commit it to prayer. You want her to open avenue for "tithes" and "seed-offerings" in 3 multiple locations?

grin grin thats the disadvantage. All will be like come and sow, come to my church.
Re: Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) by Cutehector(m): 1:27pm On Oct 29, 2019
generationz:

Doctor ke? I doubt o
i'm a banker. I get to see different salaries everyday. So trust me when I say

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Wants To Join The Nigerian Armed Forces? Army, Navy Or The Air Force? / Shell To Cut Over 9,000 Jobs As Oil Demand Slumps / My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.