Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,034 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:50 AM

The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians (41644 Views)

What Kind Of Bank Charge Is This? / About 99.4% Of Bank Accounts Contain Less Than N500,000 - NDIC / Obinna Ukwuani Appointed Chief Digital Officer Of Bank Of Kigali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by dre11(m): 4:30pm On Oct 25, 2019
Banking has always been a way for people to save money or move from place to place without the risk of carrying large sum of cash.
Gone are the days when people kept money hidden under their beds or in piggybanks. The banking system that started with the goldsmith has evolved. Now “Mobile app”, “internet banking”, “electronic banking”, “POS”, “ATM”, “Cashless”, “Token” are the buzz words.

You can recover 100% of the money you put away under your bed or in a piggybank. That is not the case with modern banking as nothing comes for free. There are charges upon charges associated with different services rendered.
A running joke is that if you left N2,000 in a savings account for five years, at the end of five years, you would be in debt: bank charges would have exhausted everything.

On Sunday the 20 October 2019, users of MTN mobile network received a message notifying them of a new charge related to banking transaction. The message reads “ Yello, as requested by your bank, from Oct 21, we will start charging you directly for USSD access to banking services. Please contact your bank for more info .”

The above message was followed by another: “Yello, Please note that from Oct 21, we will charge N4 per 20 seconds for USSD access to banking services. Thank you. ”

Even though MTN subscribers recently got the message, many opined that it’s not a new development as other mobile service providers had been making such deductions.

The myth of self service

Self-service is an idea pushed for ease of transaction for the customer. A customer is made to perform some transaction by themselves. Despite doing this yourself you are still made to pay certain charges. And sometimes when you go to the bank to do some transactions the tellers will refer you to use USSD or App or the ATM not minding the fact that you still pay for this. And if you ask why, they say it is meant to decongest the banking halls, but at whose expense?

The Plethora of charges – The different faces of charges

Here are some of the charges and fees banking customers pay

ATM Card Fee : Some banks might or might not request for minimum account balance but one thing you are subtly forced to get is an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) Card. This is because unless a customer is making transactions above N100,000, a number of bank tellers will not attend to you but ask you to use the ATM. These cards are not given free: you will be charged between N1,000 to N1,500. This fee is applicable both for renewal and replacement.

Card maintenance fee : Should you opt for a card, you will be charged between N52.50 or more monthly. As at October 2018, the charge was N50. And sometime between then and June 2019, it was reviewed upwards with an additional N2.50 kobo.

The many faces of Bank charges: Card maintenance fee at N52.50K

Current account maintenance fee (CAMF) : According to a CBN circular dated April 21 2017 with ref No FPR/DIR/GEN/CIR/06/017 and titled “Guide to charges by banks and other financial institutions in Nigeria ”, banks can charge up to N1 per mile on an account, “Negotiable, subject to a maximum of N1 per mille (1/N1,000)”.

This, it says, is “applicable to current accounts ONLY in respect of customer-induced debit transactions to third parties and debit transfers/lodgments to the customer’s account in another bank.

SMS alert fee: According to the CBN, SMS alert is mandatory. However, where a customer opts not to receive SMS alerts, the customer should issue an indemnity (for losses that may arise as a result) to the bank. A customer is charged N4 for every customer-initiated transaction.

The many faces of Bank charges: Card maintenance fee at N50

PoS transaction charges / Stamp duty: The Federal Government recently mandated the CBN to strictly implement merchant service charge, which would impose more charges on all point of sale (PoS) transactions. To this end, the CBN issued a circular to banks and other stakeholders titled, “Review of Process for Merchants Collections on Electronic Transactions.

The new policy covers every transaction that occurs on PoS platform, unlike previously when charges are tallied on aggregate transactions. Thus, for every PoS transaction of N1000 or more, a stamp duty of N50 will be charged .

Cheque book: Customers operating a current account are issued a cheque book. This cheque book cost is set by a bank according to its production cost referred to as “cost recovery” by the CBN. Also, a counter cheque costs a minimum of N50 per leaflet while for Stopped Cheques, a customer is charged N500 per order.

ATM withdrawal fee: ‘On-us’ (withdrawal from issuing bank’s ATM) are not charged whereas, ‘Not on-us’ (withdrawal from other bank’s ATM) is charged N65 for each transaction after the third withdrawal within the same month.

Transfer fee: A customer either via USSD, internet banking, or mobile app who initiates a transfer from a bank to a different bank is charge at least N50 for each transaction.

Hardware token fee: To carry out some transactions, especially on the internet banking platform, requires a password which is usually generated by a hardware. This hardware according to CBN can cost up to N4,000.

Software token: Some transactions do not require a hardware token generator. However, where the (one-time pin) OTP is sent to the customer via SMS, a charge of not more than N4/SMS shall apply, says CBN.

Statement of account request: If you request for a statement of account (request in a manner other than agreed on mandatory issuance) you are charged maximum of N20 per page.

Deposit fee and withdrawal fee: CBN in an effort to promote cashless policy in a circular to all deposit money bank (DMBs), announced the start of charges on deposits in addition to already existing charges on withdrawals.

According to the circular, “the charges, which take effect from Wednesday, September 18, 2019, will attract 3 percent processing fees for withdrawals and 2 percent processing fees for lodgments of amounts above N500,000 for individual accounts.”

Similarly, “corporate accounts will attract 5 percent processing fees for withdrawals and 3 percent processing fee for lodgments of amounts above N3,000,000.”

The statement, however, disclosed that the charge on deposits shall apply in Lagos, Ogun, Kano, Abia, Anambra, and Rivers States as well as the Federal Capital Territory.

USSD Fee : Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) is when you use designated short codes to carry out banking transactions. According to MTN you will be charged N4 for every 20 seconds. This the government and regulatory body have asked to be kept on hold .
Precedence…

To the relief of customers, Nigeria Communications Commission and CBN have asked that the USSD transaction fee be halted . But will this relief be permanent? A Look at precedence will say otherwise.

For instance, the federal government had earlier introduced the stamp duty and halted it in 2017. However in 2019 it has been reintroduced it again .

In 2017 the CBN suspended cash handling fee . That is, charges on withdrawals and deposits but in 2019 it has re-introduced it again.
Also FG at a point suspended the ATM withdrawal fee, but it was later re-introduced albeit for a reduced cost of N65 from the initial N100.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/the-many-faces-of-bank-charges.html

The bank charges discussed here are not exhaustive. Let us know what you think as you make comments.

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by oz4real83(m): 4:32pm On Oct 25, 2019
In my opinion, it seems the govt has always connived with banks to defraud the country and its citizens. Most of these banks were given bail out funds some years ago which on a normal ground either transfers their ownerships to the govt or they pay interests to govt's purse. Unfortunately, it isn't so in this country. Apart from taxes banks pay to govt, there have never been any info available to the public about the bail-out funds. The govt through the cbn is a party to any illegal transaction banks do because banks must get approval from cbn before they carry out any transaction partaining to bank charges.

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by chriskosherbal(m): 4:34pm On Oct 25, 2019
Owning a bank is a real big business now especially in this 21st century.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by Homeboiy: 5:07pm On Oct 25, 2019
Ecobank is the biggest thief amongst them

I can see students protesting in front of Uniben main gate

Lecturers no dwy gree come class come teach PT students of public administration

15 Likes

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by noblealuu: 5:14pm On Oct 25, 2019
What is vexing me is that I was charged ₦50 extra for a bread of ₦450 I bought via POS today.

I have told the salesperson that next time I'm coming I'll do cash payment.

That ₦50 will make more sense to give to the street beggars in lieu of crooks in Banks and govt...

105 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by tillaman(m): 5:14pm On Oct 25, 2019
Funny thing is no matter the number of times we echo it they won’t do nothing about it!!

20 Likes

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by Freemanbobble: 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2019
Wema bank is worse

You will have five hundred naira
And when you try to buy just 100 Naira airtime from it the bank will tell you insufficient money

12 Likes

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by Hofbrauhaus(m): 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2019
Nigeria would kill you..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by pablobellins(m): 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2019
All this is happening cos my grear grand parents started the concept of banking...

They wont be so happy where they are now if they know how corrupt the system is now.

So sad.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by lmm4real: 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2019
Access Bank comes to mind easy, those guys are just bad. I had to abandon the account for them

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by dayleke: 5:15pm On Oct 25, 2019
Highway robbery which is legal...

Ole ni gbogbo won...

Government + banks = poor suffering masses.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by tot(f): 5:16pm On Oct 25, 2019
Conclusion: Nigerian consumers are being ripped off from different angles.

In other countries, banks even pay you to move your accounts to them and in some cases pay you a token amount each month as a reward. Nigeria's case is the direct opposite. What a shame.

41 Likes

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by AroOkigbo(m): 5:16pm On Oct 25, 2019
b for Buhari
Nigerians are created tough. ..We only read, know and do nothing

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by vibbb: 5:16pm On Oct 25, 2019
Naija banks na scammers when it come to unnecessary charges.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by AroOkigbo(m): 5:16pm On Oct 25, 2019
noblealuu:
Hg
Wetin concern Mercury for the matter?

13 Likes

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by GOFRONT(m): 5:17pm On Oct 25, 2019
Soon we will go back to the days of saving money under the bed.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by qualityovenbake(m): 5:18pm On Oct 25, 2019
The Government and the Banks are still planning to introduce more charges.

15 Likes

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by Generalwoodz(m): 5:18pm On Oct 25, 2019
Everything about Nigeria is yahoolized...No doubt! this Country is a Monster!

Father lord forgive me

But the kind of fight me and the Angel that directed me to Nigeria go tough o. even 2000 saints cant seperate us

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by CaptainMitch: 5:18pm On Oct 25, 2019
Ecobank is very useless and hopeless in this regard, I plan to stop using them early next year.

7 Likes

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by Rapmoney(m): 5:18pm On Oct 25, 2019
These days, I wonder what the difference is between savings and current accounts. Savings accounts now operate like current accounts. All sort of ridiculous charges!

These bankers are thieves. There are debits made on your account which you do not receive alerts for. Most of these debits are illegal and fraudulent! They debit you little money such as N12, N15 or even N48 because they know you won't want to visit the bank for such a 'little amount'...but you see, that's the difference between us and people in the western world. Over there, people would demand for explanations for any debit they receive which is considered improper!

I would rather invest in various businesses than keep money in a savings account that only enriches the bank and brings no returns to me.

25 Likes

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by forreelliinc: 5:19pm On Oct 25, 2019
this na why i dey bank with vitafoam bank

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by Oyikoha(m): 5:20pm On Oct 25, 2019
They need money for business

1 Like

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by Pavore9: 5:20pm On Oct 25, 2019
Crazy!

2 Likes

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by okomile(f): 5:20pm On Oct 25, 2019
Access bank is the greatest thief of them all.

Withdrew my last kobo with them

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by praiseneo(m): 5:21pm On Oct 25, 2019
Plz what's the best Nigerian bank one could use outside Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The Many Faces Of Bank Charges Paid By Nigerians by RealLordZeus(m): 5:22pm On Oct 25, 2019
CaptainMitch:
Ecobank is very useless and hopeless in this regard, I plan to stop using them early next year.
Homeboiy:
Ecobank is the biggest thief amongst them

I can see students protesting in front of Uniben main gate

Lecturers no dwy gree come class come teach PT students of public administration
I totally agree! I can't even account for their charges again, I ve decided to set aside #500 for them every month. Corporate robbers

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Netflix Enters Nigeria, See The Winners And Losers / Fear Of Boycott Grips South African Brands / Jeff Bezos And Lauren Sanchez Are Engaged

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.