Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:06 AM

Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend (41037 Views)

CBN FX Scam: Emefiele Ordered My Arrest, Detention For 101 Days - Whistleblower / Sandra Eze Sanzye: 'Bourdillon’ Ordered My Removal From TVC, Says Journalist / "Nnamdi Kanu Is Like Ojukwu Who Fled The Country After Causing Many Deaths" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by Cherez: 6:24am On Oct 27, 2019
sarrki:
It’s so unfortunate that the same people that calls one a betrayer are the real betrayers

The 1966 coup and 1990 coup are the only the bloodiest coup in history of Nigeria

Led by kaduna nzeogwu 1966 and orkar 1990

Truly, Ojukwu shouldn't have killed Banjo no matter what happened.
Though Banjo was killed alongside 3 other Igbo top generals with the accusation that they were speaking with the Nigerian authorities, I never read about any authentic proof of sabotage.

Sarrki, the first coup wasn't just by Nzeogwu (dont forget that Nzeogwu is from SS, a faction you claim are not Igbos when you want to skew events to your favor) and others whom were Yorubas too.
So, dont try to awaken your long silent moniker with this
Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by Cherez: 6:43am On Oct 27, 2019
sarrki:

We need to set history straight and move on as a nation

We need to be patriotic and forgive one another

We need to stand for our nation and let the past be

We need national cohesion

We also need to know that we are one nation one country

But also need to set the record straight

Sarrki, for not knowing that Orkar is not an Igbo name makes me believe a lot of people in NL lack understanding of history and Nigeria as it is.
I can accept Nzeogwu as a person being entirely Igbo but haba Orkar has no link to the Igbo tribe at all yet you still wanna blame it on Igbos.
Ojukwu heading to Lagos was only an attempt to attack the Gowon led FG resident in Lagos.
It was a war initiated by the FG, countered by Ojukwu and further heading to Lagos to stamp down on the FG based on their (Ojukwu, Banjo, Nzeogwu, Ifeajuana and co) agreement but midway, Banjo, Ifeajuana and Nzeogwu lost trust in Ojukwu and decided to relate with the FG during the war.
I believe Banjo, Nzeogwu & Ifeajuana's suspicions were adequate cos Ojukwu was becoming too strong, successful and smart.
Ojukwu lost that fight after murdering these men cos a whole lot of other generals though Igbo withdrew their loyalty after that murderous event.

1 Like

Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by seunspice(m): 10:03am On Oct 27, 2019
If only the ndigbo would stop the campaign of hate and playing the victim they would be better off. Just before you jump at criticism, read my comment with an open mind.
I am Yoruba and a proud one at that but all the major tribes of this country have their blames and faults as regards the tribal conflicts we are in.
Prior to the civil war, there were enough evidences of the hausa/Fulani hatred for southerner especially the ndigbo because of how territorial they were. I would later post links to YouTube videos where you will see prominent Hausa leaders berating southerner especially the ndigbo. The first coup by Kaduna Nzeogwu and his team of 5 which had just one Yoruba man however deepened the divide by their execution of regional leaders from all regions except igboland. They paved way for Azikiwe to escape to the UK and forewarned all Igbo leaders in the SE. This is what led to the massacre of the igbos in the north majorly and in Lagos. Yes! Lagos! Most Yoruba's never want to accept the truth but Igbo's were slaughtered right here on Carter bridge....
Ojukwu wasn't the right man to lead the Biafra charge because he had his own agenda but I barely blame him for whatever reason. He was friends with Gowon and the war would have been nipped in the bud had Gowon honoured the Aburi accord to stop the killings of Ndigbo across the nation.
Ojukwu reached out to the Yoruba leaders notably Awolowo et al and they asked for more time so that adequate logistics could be put in place as no one goes to war without adequate preparation, let's not forget that Lagos was the seat of government and there were several garrisons of the army in the South west. An I'll preparation would have spelt doom for Yoruba land and all the leaders wanted to achieve with ojukwu was secure international cooperation that would help facilitate the secession.
Let's not forget that the UK was pro one Nigeria while the US was in support of a secession. Germany, France and others were undecided and Awolowo believed that convincing them won't be a biggie.
Ojukwu couldn't hold back and allow his people be exterminated in the name of waiting and wasn't ready for another dialogue because Aburi accord failed this the hasty declaration of an ill fated war.
Once the war was declared, the Yoruba leaders had to make a decision for their people and chose to stay with the Nigerian government and thus we have stories of betrayal branded amongst the Igbo's till date.

From my point of view, it was Ojukwu and Awolowo taking the best decision for their respective people, each of their contribution in history is known to their people.
The parralel of then and now is the fact that not all Igbo leaders supported the option of war, a sizeable number of Igbo leaders then opined that they weren't prepared for war and should rather get Igbo's back home first then attempt dialogue. Just like most Igbo leaders today do not believe in KANU and his Massob.

In conclusion, there can never be a Nigeria of our dreams without a thorough reconciliation with the Ndigbo, a people like that cannot continue to be third class citizens in a country like ours, yes there would always be the fear of the Igbo factor but who cares? We have always had the Hausa Fulani factor and what has it done for us? We had Obasanjo in power for about a decade on and off did it spring up a Yoruba factor??
6 years of a Jonathan presidency didn't trigger an Ijaw factor so why not try the Ndigbo?

It is not lost on me that Igbo politicians are probably the most inept in Nigeria today, no common voice, no plan and no love for their people. The buhari administration has probably given more to the south east than all south east governors since 1999. The Ndigbo needs to come together, forget all sentiments and play the game of politics that would move the region forward. This agitation for Biafra can be achieved if all SE senators and reps decide for Biafra today! But they won't do that. They would rather eat up the constituency allowances, the criminal payments and the juicy contracts and drive to their constituencies in their bullet proof SUVs just like their colleagues from Yoruba land and others.

If these continue unabated, the dream of a strong and developed Nigeria and probably Biafra would remain at best a mirage.

Think strategy, think politics and stop these campaigns of hate, ethnicity and bigotry. We all have faults and blames. A docile citizenry is worse than these looters in power.
Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by IamAtikulate: 10:08am On Oct 27, 2019
sarrki:

You can’t change the hand of the clock

Ojukwu is a traitor

So are his descendants

Nigeria would have been better if there was no 1966 Coup or if the Coup was not bloody. Why did we kill ourselves? Power can change hands without blood. Buhari became Head of State without shedding blood. I'm not IBB fan but his Coup was bloodless and I commend him for not killing GMB and Idiagbon. I must confess, we were celebrating my sister's birthday in April 1990 when we heard of Orka's Coup, the jubilation became double, and people were trooping in with emergency gifts for her..... But shortly after we heard about the killing of IBB ADC and others and the guy started dividing the country on radio, people were sad. Why killing others to get power? 90% of bloody coups in Nigeria failed!!!

We can play politics of power without shedding blood, those who introduced blood to our politics will account for their wickedness on the day of judgment!
The first person to plan coup was Awolowo with r help of Ghana.

He was sentenced.

The 1965 coup was also masterminded by him, but an Igboman stopped it.

Go and read how Ojukwu stopped in the coup in the North.

Awolowo after his released planned another coup which led to him sipping sniper.

I know they don't teach history in brown roof schools, but you can always use Google
Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by 7lives: 11:36am On Oct 27, 2019
seunspice:
If only the ndigbo would stop the campaign of hate and playing the victim they would be better off. Just before you jump at criticism, read my comment with an open mind.
I am Yoruba and a proud one at that but all the major tribes of this country have their blames and faults as regards the tribal conflicts we are in.
Prior to the civil war, there were enough evidences of the hausa/Fulani hatred for southerner especially the ndigbo because of how territorial they were. I would later post links to YouTube videos where you will see prominent Hausa leaders berating southerner especially the ndigbo. The first coup by Kaduna Nzeogwu and his team of 5 which had just one Yoruba man however deepened the divide by their execution of regional leaders from all regions except igboland. They paved way for Azikiwe to escape to the UK and forewarned all Igbo leaders in the SE. This is what led to the massacre of the igbos in the north majorly and in Lagos. Yes! Lagos! Most Yoruba's never want to accept the truth but Igbo's were slaughtered right here on Carter bridge....
Ojukwu wasn't the right man to lead the Biafra charge because he had his own agenda but I barely blame him for whatever reason. He was friends with Gowon and the war would have been nipped in the bud had Gowon honoured the Aburi accord to stop the killings of Ndigbo across the nation.
Ojukwu reached out to the Yoruba leaders notably Awolowo et al and they asked for more time so that adequate logistics could be put in place as no one goes to war without adequate preparation, let's not forget that Lagos was the seat of government and there were several garrisons of the army in the South west. An I'll preparation would have spelt doom for Yoruba land and all the leaders wanted to achieve with ojukwu was secure international cooperation that would help facilitate the secession.
Let's not forget that the UK was pro one Nigeria while the US was in support of a secession. Germany, France and others were undecided and Awolowo believed that convincing them won't be a biggie.
Ojukwu couldn't hold back and allow his people be exterminated in the name of waiting and wasn't ready for another dialogue because Aburi accord failed this the hasty declaration of an ill fated war.
Once the war was declared, the Yoruba leaders had to make a decision for their people and chose to stay with the Nigerian government and thus we have stories of betrayal branded amongst the Igbo's till date.

From my point of view, it was Ojukwu and Awolowo taking the best decision for their respective people, each of their contribution in history is known to their people.
The parralel of then and now is the fact that not all Igbo leaders supported the option of war, a sizeable number of Igbo leaders then opined that they weren't prepared for war and should rather get Igbo's back home first then attempt dialogue. Just like most Igbo leaders today do not believe in KANU and his Massob.

In conclusion, there can never be a Nigeria of our dreams without a thorough reconciliation with the Ndigbo, a people like that cannot continue to be third class citizens in a country like ours, yes there would always be the fear of the Igbo factor but who cares? We have always had the Hausa Fulani factor and what has it done for us? We had Obasanjo in power for about a decade on and off did it spring up a Yoruba factor??
6 years of a Jonathan presidency didn't trigger an Ijaw factor so why not try the Ndigbo?

It is not lost on me that Igbo politicians are probably the most inept in Nigeria today, no common voice, no plan and no love for their people. The buhari administration has probably given more to the south east than all south east governors since 1999. The Ndigbo needs to come together, forget all sentiments and play the game of politics that would move the region forward. This agitation for Biafra can be achieved if all SE senators and reps decide for Biafra today! But they won't do that. They would rather eat up the constituency allowances, the criminal payments and the juicy contracts and drive to their constituencies in their bullet proof SUVs just like their colleagues from Yoruba land and others.

If these continue unabated, the dream of a strong and developed Nigeria and probably Biafra would remain at best a mirage.

Think strategy, think politics and stop these campaigns of hate, ethnicity and bigotry. We all have faults and blames. A docile citizenry is worse than these looters in power.

Go and read professor Sam Aluko's interview. on why Biafra failed.
Ojukwu personally invited Sam Aluko's and offered him a position of an adviser, all the advises given to Ojukwu by Sam Aluko, how many of them did Ojukwu make use of?.
The only thing that Ojukwu got right was that Igbos needs to be on their own.
They see things differently from others, they believe in the use of force while others believe in dialogue.
History is a bitch, as long as others continue to read, about the role played by Zik, to make sure that secession clause was not included in our constitution, no one will rise to Igbo support.
It is now left for them to fashion out their way of leaving the country or develop their region.
Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by 7lives: 12:40pm On Oct 27, 2019
jimyjames:

When ojukwu released banjo from prison banjo stayed with ojukwu to help Biafra fight Nigeria, the agreement between him and ojukwu was that if Biafra succeed and finally gets independent, Biafra will help the west get independence too, banjo betrayed ojukwu and was secretly negotiating with Nigeria, he was the one that led his troops to ore and was heading towards Lagos , banjo wasn't a straight forward man, if you know the reason why the Nigerian government locked banjo in the eastern prison, then you will understand why ojukwu executed him

The second agreement was that the Biafran leaders will not change the leaders of territories they will pass through.
Banjo told Ojukwu that the most important thing is to win the trust of fellow Southerners, professor Sam Aluko also told Ojukwu the same thing, Aluko even told him not to start the war yet, that his neighbors in SS are suspicious of Igbo agenda, that they did not trust the Igbos, that Ojukwu must win them over first.
Banjo was the one who led the Biafran Army westward, he took Asaba without firing a single bullet, he did same at Benin, all that Banjo did was called the traditional rulers and political leaders of those areas and persuade them to co operate, that the mission is to deliver the Southern Nigeria.
It was when he got to Ore that he was begging Obasanjo, who refused to allow them passage, and his soldiers which includes Ifeajuna and others begins to complain of poor welfare, and lack of amunitions.
And also Ojukwu boys are also already changing the agreement in Benin /Asaba axis, raping women, forcing men into Biafran army and sacking, looting villages and changing their leaders, replacing them with Biafrans.
So Banjo wrote a letter to Ojukwu to show his displeasure about so many things that was happening, Ojukwu invited Banjo back to their base in the East and labeled him a coupist, and set up a kangaroo court that pronounced Banjo, Ifeajuna and few others guilty.
Did Ojukwu succeed with his Biafra?, why did he loose the war and had to flee to exile?, he can NOT use his brain, he still cannot take advise from those who are smarter than him.
Yorubas knew what happened to Banjo, Banjo a master millitatry strategist, he fell shouting " I'M NOT DEAD YET ", it would have been better for him, if he had died at war front at least, he would have died a responsible death.
Ojukwu did not loose the war to the Nigerian army, he lost the war when he lost the control of his army and allow them to run wild, attacking and subjugating his neighbors.
Which Yoruba will allow the Biafran soldiers to do what had happened in Asaba and Benin, to Yoruba land, if it's possible to stop it?.
After a 100 years of civil war in which so many Yorubas lost their families to deaths and slavery, and another 100 years of colonization, Yorubas should open their door again to another war of subjugation, masqueraded as war of liberation?.
This is why Omoluabi don't do political bussiness with Igbos, it had never worked and it will NEVER work.

2 Likes

Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by Mujtahida: 12:46pm On Oct 27, 2019
sarrki:

Pa ojiofor ,

With due respect sire

The are south easterners

Nzeogwu and orkar are ibo names sir
Orkar is Tiv from Benue State. And note that the counter revolution of July 1966 was bloody. Also the Dimka coup of 13th February 1976 in which Murtala was killed was also bloody.
Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by kayjay69(m): 1:46pm On Oct 27, 2019
Needless to state, I am a Yoruba muslim, Kwara and Ogun (since you have decided to wave the ethnic card, well there you go) and my views are my views. the kay is short for kehinde not chinedu. I do not have a thing to prove to you but I will state my views, maybe you will learn a thing or two in the process

The sad part with Nigeria and Nigerians is the need to do what you just did. If we cannot and do not agree, must we then resort to silly stereotypes and diatribes of the other person?

1) you ask what led to the pogrom, on the surface of it, sure you can point to the coup and it's obvious lopsidedness, but deeper than that and if you are sincere, you will agree that there was an animosity by other tribes toward the igbo at that time in nigeria. This was due to the incontrovertible fact that the perception was that Igbos were at the forefront of everything. #3 tribe but were strategically placed, well educated, had more affluent people than the other two main tribes in Nigeria. So the pogrom of the ordinary Northerner attacking the ordinary SEasterner, instigated and carefully orchestrated by Northern Leaders (spiritual and political) was borne out of this mindset. Also, even before then the North, specifically Kano in 1953, had always shown its penchant for mindless bloodletting. Guess what, as it was then so it became in Kaduna, Plateau and other Northern cities till present day.

Now back to the coup, as I mentioned earlier the coup was lopsided and I believe the SEastern officers (and some SWesterners) paid dearly with their lives. What happened afterward? In the first coup did Nzeogwu and his gang encourage Southerners to attack Northerners? It was a purely military affair and should have been as such. Instead, Northern leaders were openly encouraging the average Northerner to attack the SEasterners. Even after the accords, which came much after Ironsi and co were cleared out, there was still bloodshed for no reason whatsoever.

2.) You ask if the reverse had been the case, well the reverse was never the case so we will never know we may only speculate. But if you were to ask me, I do not think the average SEastern leadership would be open to inciting violence on a mass scale like the Northern counterparts did. I could be wrong but I am saying this based on precedence, the Northerners (under the leadership of the Hausa/Fulani) have never been a peaceful people. There are good Northerners, as there are good people everywhere but the leadership, the powers that be, the forever men, are the same ones who have held us together for our own selfish end.

Now the above was not even the meat of my initial comment and I still restate, if Nigeria is the way it is because of the hegemony imposed upon ALL by these same Northern Leaders (ofcourse in full conjunction with some of my brothers in the South). So my suggestion is simple and straightforward, restructure Nigeria to have stronger regions and a very weak centre or split Nigeria.

richie240:

"Ojukwu did d right thing for his ppl, but awolowo didn't put his ppl into consideration!" "Ojukwu did d right tin, but awolowo was wrong"
Typical! We've heard these line b4.
#my bloda can do no wrong; always seeing d speck in other ppl's eyes through d log in their eyes.

1. What led to d pogrom? Oh, d Hausa's just woke up and began 'slaughtering' Igbo's right?
2. "Military affair"? If d reverse had bn d case, whereby d Igbo's were at d receiving end will u have said its "a military affair"? Even ordinary herdsmen causing havoc in ur region, u guys are screaming " Fulani/Islamic expansion agenda upandan"

Which truth do u want? Even d simple and basic truth, u downplay.
Hear it again since u pretend u have amnesia:
A (supposed federal) coup which should have wiped out d political leaders (north, west and east) turned tribal when all d political leaders - azikwe, mbakwe et all) of d eastern region were fully protected/unharmed while their counterparts from the other reguon were wiped out
That is d the truth u shy away from; kiss it!

You and ur ilks sound it loud and clear dt u are NOT Nigerians, so ur opinion doesn't count!
More like a Togolese 'deciding' d (outcome of the) presidency of morrocans
Let real and #patriotic Nigerians bother dr heads with that!

Hgnn-hghnn! *coughs*
.....and plz don't give me d 'I am Yoruba' line! Its stale.
Nor be today dem don dey born chinedu for mushin!
You may have stayed all ur life in sw- thats not a new thing- but d average Igbo will always think/reason like one irrespective how u try to camouflage ur write-ups.
#go_figure
#tribe_over_logic
#dna_tinz
wink

Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by jimyjames(m): 8:21pm On Oct 27, 2019
7lives:

The second agreement was that the Biafran leaders will not change the leaders of territories they will pass through.
Banjo told Ojukwu that the most important thing is to win the trust of fellow Southerners, professor Sam Aluko also told Ojukwu the same thing, Aluko even told him not to start the war yet, that his neighbors in SS are suspicious of Igbo agenda, that they did not trust the Igbos, that Ojukwu must win them over first.
Banjo was the one who led the Biafran Army westward, he took Asaba without firing a single bullet, he did same at Benin, all that Banjo did was called the traditional rulers and political leaders of those areas and persuade them to co operate, that the mission is to deliver the Southern Nigeria.
It was when he got to Ore that he was begging Obasanjo, who refused to allow them passage, and his soldiers which includes Ifeajuna and others begins to complain of poor welfare, and lack of amunitions.
And also Ojukwu boys are also already changing the agreement in Benin /Asaba axis, raping women, forcing men into Biafran army and sacking, looting villages and changing their leaders, replacing them with Biafrans.
So Banjo wrote a letter to Ojukwu to show his displeasure about so many things that was happening, Ojukwu invited Banjo back to their base in the East and labeled him a coupist, and set up a kangaroo court that pronounced Banjo, Ifeajuna and few others guilty.
Did Ojukwu succeed with his Biafra?, why did he loose the war and had to flee to exile?, he can NOT use his brain, he still cannot take advise from those who are smarter than him.
Yorubas knew what happened to Banjo, Banjo a master millitatry strategist, he fell shouting " I'M NOT DEAD YET ", it would have been better for him, if he had died at war front at least, he would have died a responsible death.
Ojukwu did not loose the war to the Nigerian army, he lost the war when he lost the control of his army and allow them to run wild, attacking and subjugating his neighbors.
Which Yoruba will allow the Biafran soldiers to do what had happened in Asaba and Benin, to Yoruba land, if it's possible to stop it?.
After a 100 years of civil war in which so many Yorubas lost their families to deaths and slavery, and another 100 years of colonization, Yorubas should open their door again to another war of subjugation, masqueraded as war of liberation?.
This is why Omoluabi don't do political bussiness with Igbos, it had never worked and it will NEVER work.

What you wrote is untrue,

1) banjo was under ojukwu, it wasn't right for him to negotiate with anyone without the consent of ojukwu, he went about negotiating secretly with the Nigerian soldiers behind ojukwu,

2) ojukwu's soldiers and all the commanders under him including the two white German commanders all feared ojukwu none of them will go about raping women looting and changing leaders without ojukwu's consent, what you accuse Biafran soldiers of doing never happened rather it was Nigerian soldiers that did that to every Biafran land they recaptured, the evil killing of innocent people in asaba was carried out by the Nigerian soldiers go and get your facts straight
3) banjo was not a straight forward man, he was very secretive, the same reason he was locked up by the Nigerian authority in the Eastern prison, was the same thing that killed him through the hand of ojukwu, he was in prison for plotting to kill the Nigerian prime minister tafawa balewa, he was executed for plotting against ojukwu , he was destined to die that way
It was Obasanjo that locked banjo up in prison for involving in a coup, how can you say banjo was negotiating and begging Obasanjo to allow him pass when he led his Biafran troops to ORE?

4) ojukwu lost the war cause the Biafran soldiers lacked weapons, food, and medical care, and believe it or not banjo played a part that led to ojukwu's downfall by negotiating with the enemy
Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by Uchek(m): 10:19pm On Oct 27, 2019
The evidence invalidates your opinion which by the way is free. How could Ojukwu be self-centered and power-obsessed when he insisted that next senior officer after Ironsi - a Yoruba man by name Ogundipe, not Gowon or Ojukwu - should be the Military Head of State in obedience to military order of succession?

Some folks on this forum are intellectually dimwits and indolent regurgitator of historical falsehoods and half-truths.

You may not like Ojukwu. That's within your fundamental human rights. But don't lie on him.

sarrki:

Ojukwu from the history we know and as it stands today was arrogant,self centered and a bigot that was so obsessed with power
Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by Uchek(m): 10:27pm On Oct 27, 2019
Very Very untrue what that fellow wrote!

jimyjames:

What you wrote is untrue,

1) banjo was under ojukwu, it wasn't right for him to negotiate with anyone without the consent of ojukwu, he went about negotiating secretly with the Nigerian soldiers behind ojukwu,

2) ojukwu's soldiers and all the commanders under him including the two white German commanders all feared ojukwu none of them will go about raping women looting and changing leaders without ojukwu's consent, what you accuse Biafran soldiers of doing never happened rather it was Nigerian soldiers that did that to every Biafran land they recaptured, the evil killing of innocent people in asaba was carried out by the Nigerian soldiers go and get your facts straight
3) banjo was not a straight forward man, he was very secretive, the same reason he was locked up by the Nigerian authority in the Eastern prison, was the same thing that killed him through the hand of ojukwu, he was in prison for plotting to kill the Nigerian prime minister tafawa balewa, he was executed for plotting against ojukwu , he was destined to die that way
It was Obasanjo that locked banjo up in prison for involving in a coup, how can you say banjo was negotiating and begging Obasanjo to allow him pass when he led his Biafran troops to ORE?

4) ojukwu lost the war cause the Biafran soldiers lacked weapons, food, and medical care, and believe it or not banjo played a part that led to ojukwu's downfall by negotiating with the enemy

1 Like

Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by Uchek(m): 10:36pm On Oct 27, 2019
I really enjoyed your take on Awolowo and the civil war. You are an exception. You're about the first Yoruba that has clinically dissected Awolowo's civil war role. I will love to know you. I am conducting a survey for a political project am doing. I want to interview you and invite you to partake in a panel study. My email is ukoparah@ gmail.com.

Please get in touch.

kayjay69:
It is quite sad that threads such as these that ought to help us learn the truth about what happened usually descend into a tribalistic tirade.
The truth of the matter is and like it or not, Ojukwu, Banjo and Awolowo, were great men and I can bet you that 99% of the people typing away on this thread may never achieve an inch of what these men achieved in their lifetime.
It is very easy to point fingers and criticise, very easy to throw stones.

Ojukwu did what he felt was right for his people and the evidence available suggested perhaps he did not have much of a choice because the Federal Gov of Nigeria kept breaking every agreement reached to ease tensions then. Igbos were being slaughtered in the North in reprisals for the coup (which was purely a military affair). He was the highest ranking military officer from the SE, he had to do something and he did. I salute him for the fact that he took a stand (even though stories would emerge that he caught wind of the fact that oil was already discovered in the SS in commercial quantities, perhaps he wanted to secede because of oil whilst being backed by Russia and France).

Regardless, I salute the man. However, it is also common knowledge that Ojukwu was far from perfect. It is said that he became paranoid at some point during the war. Perhaps this paranoia led to him executing some of his own of which Banjo was among. Kaduna Nzeogwu too and others. It was said that Banjo, Nzeogwu and the rest of the coup plotters were not really loyal to Biafra, they were loyal to their original idea which led to the coup and maybe they were trying to see this idea through. We will never know the truth. Anyone who talks from either side (Banjos or Ojukwus) will only peddle narratives that suit their own purpose.

Personally, I feel Awolowo should not have sided with the Federal Gov of Nigeria. He had the clout and influence. If perhaps he stayed neutral, he could have forced the FGN to restructure the country away from the unitary system of government and we would have either gone our separate ways or made the centre as weak as possible. You may disagree with me but I believe it was at this moment, that we could have had what I think would have put us on the path of real freedom and a means of true self-governance. It was at this moment we could have broken free from british tyranny through their proxies in Northern Nigeria. But the low hanging fruit is always tempting, always (the temptation to become President over all of Nigeria).

Awolowo remains one of my personal heroes for his political philosophy and governance during the old western region but he was far from perfect and I think this moment in time highlights one of his mistakes.

In closing, Nigeria and the Presidency, reminds me of the famed iron thrones from the TV series "Game of Thrones". The ones who has desired it and truly deserved it very rarely get there. Some who get there by chance, are removed. The only ones who get there and remain there are those who are pragmatic enough to do what is needed. Overall, Nigeria is not working and will never work (my view, please respect, don't argue). Either we restructure this country to have a very weak centre or we split it and each go their own separate way. Agree a payout with the ND to help each region stabilise their economies, and let everyone go fend for themselves.
Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by Uchek(m): 10:44pm On Oct 27, 2019
You indeed a sophisticated slowpoke!

Cosbyrich:

Igbos are snakes under the green grass .They like repeating bad characters about other tribes and you would be surprised that both their illiterates and literates are in the same bandwagon.
Everybody knows that there is no tribe that are the greatest backstabbers and betrayers than the Igbos.

These are verified Igbo betrayals to Yoruba,South,North and the whole Nigeria...
Igbos betrayals..

1.Azikiwe betrayed the South to give power to the North.

2.Igbos later backstabbed the North and South by killing their leaders.

3.Aguiyi Ironsi betrayed Nigeria by foisting Unitary System of govt on the populace with decree 34.

4.Igbos betrayed Nigeria by supporting Abacha through the 1millon people march.

5.Igbos betrayed the South by always voting for the North.

6.Igbos betrayed Yorubas by voting for Tofa,another Northerner....

The list goes on...

Let anyone of them list their cooked up Yoruba betrayals and compare.
Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by 7lives: 2:18pm On Oct 28, 2019
[quote author=Uchek post=83517816]Very Very untrue
Re: Olayinka Omigbodun: Ojukwu, Who Ordered My Father’s Execution Was His Friend by 7lives: 2:23pm On Oct 28, 2019
Uchek:
Very Very untrue what that fellow wrote!

Untrue?, google is your friend, Professor Sam Aluko granted an interview on this matter, Victor Banjo's wife gave her own account of her husband's role, titled " I'M NOT DEAD YET ".
Professor Sam Aluko even said it, that he WARNED Ojukwu NOT to go to Aburi meeting without him, he said he already knows that discussion of that magnitude required a high level of PATIENCE, GRIT AND SENSIBILITY because concessions will have to be made.
Ojukwu went to Aburi alone, without his POLITICAL ADVISER and later cry breach of agreement.
Google is your friend, google search all my lies, Obasanjo is the so called Nigerian army that Banjo was negotiating with, Banjo only tried to minimize the exposure of his soldiers, and the innocent civilians to bloody confrontations.
Ojukwu prefer that Banjo shoot his way into Yorubaland since Obj is not co operating, by not giving Banjo and his soldiers, passage into Yoruba land.
At the end of it all, did Philip Effiong not DISCUSS with the Nigerian Army?.
War is not a picnic, where war happened people die have you heard of Stalingrad?.
Where war is Inevitable, it must be managed such that loss of lives is reduced to the barest minimum.
This is what Banjo tried to do, for which he had to die.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Hausas And Fulanis In Enugu Taking Refuge In Army Barracks - Ekweremmadu / How EFCC Almost Arrested Aisha Buhari’s Impostor – Ribadu / 4-year-old Daughter Of White Nigerian Does Buhari 4+4 Sign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.