Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:38 PM

Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers (29871 Views)

How Airport Officials Can Easily Plant Drugs On Your Luggage (Photos) / Man Wears All His Clothes At The Airport To Avoid British Airways Luggage Fees / African Woman Carries Her Luggage On The Head At The Airport In USA (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by madgoat(m): 6:38pm On Oct 27, 2019
Rubbish angry

1 Like

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by IMAliyu(m): 6:38pm On Oct 27, 2019
uchman:
For only #570,467.40k, one has to pay #165,592.25k into government's account...

Most business this days,
Investing #570,467,40k, may not produce up to #165,592.25k as gain.

I thought we are supposed to be protected/ helped by the government?
Why are they so mean to us...

They don't want to hear the masses complain...

Oh lord help us!
Reliance on the government will result in too much taxes not less.

1 Like

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Lexusgs430: 6:40pm On Oct 27, 2019
DameB:
This is horrible

How about someone carrying knockoffs?

They prosecute you, for buying fake goods.......... cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Osanoghodua1: 6:41pm On Oct 27, 2019
This government is wicked and clueless. What if they are my wears? I will also be charged? God should end the project Nigeria, it's a failed project.

17 Likes

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by NothingDoMe: 6:41pm On Oct 27, 2019
djdutch:

clown
better one.

2 Likes

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by slowice(m): 6:41pm On Oct 27, 2019
This is outrageous.... One hell of a duty to be paid to a government that is not accountable

6 Likes

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by SincereBigot: 6:42pm On Oct 27, 2019
Next level
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Coldie(m): 6:42pm On Oct 27, 2019
This is a foolish policy.

How much is #50,000 in American dollars.

If u want to copy global standards at least do it well

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by LabDNA: 6:43pm On Oct 27, 2019
What kind of law is that? So if I'm travelling into Nigeria and bring in a packet of chenodal tablet which I use to treat my gallstones (assuming I'm a patient) and cost about $45,000 and not produced in Nigeria, I'll have to pay customs an exorbitant fee?

We are in trouble in this country o.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Parkwell77(m): 6:45pm On Oct 27, 2019
WICKEDNESS!
They want us to look poor ? Not travel ? What exactly do they want ?
When are we protesting this? is it until they start charging us for breathing ?
When are we protesting this rubbish!? They keep throwing things at us and nobody is saying or doing anything about it.
For every stupid law they make there's an exemption for them in the north
Have we lost our minds ?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by bukatyne(f): 6:45pm On Oct 27, 2019
How can they charge N165k for N507k?

Why is this Govt so inhumane?

12 Likes

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by 27Pushing30: 6:46pm On Oct 27, 2019
uchman:

Most business this days,

Oh lord help us!
Lol... You’re the typical Nigerian ! Always calling upon God or some other supernatural entity.

We are in a democracy ... and in a democracy the rule of law is sacrosanct , and who enacts these laws? The reps of the people (NA).

Why? Because they’re deemed to be acting on the wishes of their people (which is then balanced out “2/3” to ensure absolute majority )

I’ll keep saying these things , FG is not our problem , neither the Judiciary ... Nigeria’s problem is the NA! And docile citizens.

It’s just a question of amending a ridiculous law!

8 Likes

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by nwamabo247(m): 6:47pm On Oct 27, 2019
Our country @please forgive me if i can help myself i wont be begging for help.PLEASE nairalanders my name is celestine nwankwo 28YRS OLD from ugwueme awgu L.G.A. enugu stat For almost 12yrs now i have been down with with tetraplegic spinal cord injure.no source of income because my fingers are partialy afected i have been living on family support especially my ageing mother who has been nursing me at home for all this while. but right now things are very very difficut for me and my mother who is also diabetic expecially feeding and litle medications,buying of catheters and health care needs.please i need your help in any way posible no matter how small it will make a diffrence and i am also looking for a goverment or N G O rehabilitation center for the disables that can acept my kind condition. thanks and GOD BLESS. more details.see my signature below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmvvbL5hNzo
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Opinedecandid(m): 6:48pm On Oct 27, 2019
uchman:

Most business this days,

Oh lord help us!

Can we take it upon ourselves to drink it into the ears of the authority that having to pay over #160,000 for a #570,000 item is too exploitative, mean, unfair and unreasonable.

13 Likes

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by IamR: 6:48pm On Oct 27, 2019
We are in a serious mess.

2 Likes

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 27, 2019
This country is an Evil forest.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by MetaPhysical: 6:51pm On Oct 27, 2019
It is not acceptable for Customs to tell us they are following law. We want them to cite the particular code/s that applies to the case and we can independently verify for our own interpretation.

Most of these law enforcement agencies are not trained on citations at all....and if they are they are ignorant of its application.

Which code is Customs applying to this lady? We want know...

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Originalsly: 6:53pm On Oct 27, 2019
Hmmm.... is.this why we no longer be ehmmm..... spotting celebrities in Dubai on shopping sprees?.... I don't want to imagine how much Jim Iyke had to pay... maybe he's still being detained since he was last spotted dripping with Luis Vuitton bags.

N50K worth of personal stuff...... only deportees wouldn't meet that figure.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by IGBOSON1: 6:55pm On Oct 27, 2019
printemps:

Them wan just recover all the money wey dem use do election, una neva see anything. This na the beginning of the end of the one chance change abi next level of chain wey una enter.

This is state sanctioned robbery! It’s obvious this is another policy dreamed up by these crooks that will affect southerners more!

They’d be running their filthy paws through all your suitcases looking for any valuable items (even those you got as gifts) to charge you cutthroat duty on!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Parkwell77(m): 6:55pm On Oct 27, 2019
This is the worst government ever!!
we have made the biggest mistake as a nation.
A country of 200 million people with lots of educated and outstanding people and this is the kind of president we can provide ? There's a big chance he is not even aware of this development.

I thought the VP was a man of God? Why is all this happening under his watch and he can't do anything about it ?
How do business people international businesses strive here ? How do poor people ever become rich ? If they want money, there are more than 100 ways to do it instead of enforcing stupid policies.

We have made the biggest mistake as a nation! I regret voting for this govt.
Start saving money for a visa..

The North is ready to fully show that the country belongs to them and they are convinced nobody can do anything about it.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Parkwell77(m): 6:59pm On Oct 27, 2019
Can we even start talking about division ?

2 Likes

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by saintokwuluora(m): 7:00pm On Oct 27, 2019
Our politicians are they paying this tax or is it only for those not in government? The Nigeria Customs has a duty to build the confidence of Nigerians and substantiate their claim on Nigerians paying this tax by publishing the list of Nigerian politicians who have this tax this year.
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by skedman(m): 7:03pm On Oct 27, 2019
You are forgetting something that the item in question is a luxury item
Luxury.......
This is good for people like davido, wizkid that brag about their wears.
I guess it is to discourage foreign goods
But it is too high

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Electroweb(m): 7:05pm On Oct 27, 2019
Capitalism; loading gradually.

1 Like

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by StudentsNG: 7:07pm On Oct 27, 2019
Mumu people. Apparently every luggage attracts duties then. Which bag would be worth less than N50,000? Or isn’t N50,000 just about $130

9 Likes

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by OLAJADON: 7:09pm On Oct 27, 2019
djdutch:
Front page Lalastiscala. Nigeria has descended to a full fledged zoo.
this one doesn't have sense, I am sure if u read the above u wont type nonsense. HOW OLD ARE YOU?
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by StudentsNG: 7:09pm On Oct 27, 2019
Originalsly:
Hmmm.... is.this why we no longer be ehmmm..... spotting celebrities in Dubai on shopping sprees?.... I don't want to imagine how much Jim Iyke had to pay... maybe he's still being detained since he was last spotted dripping with Luis Vuitton bags.

N50K worth of personal stuff...... only deportees wouldn't meet that figure.

It’d take an average deportees’ 2 shoes to surpass that amount. How much is a shoe, wrist watch, etc? Very clueless people.

2 Likes

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by SSAwhistleblowe: 7:10pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nawa o... do Nigerians traveling abroad get treated this way over there

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Comedian2019: 7:11pm On Oct 27, 2019
If the value of your bag is 100k, then you pay duty.
National Assembly should do something about that archaic law. It has become unreasonable

2 Likes

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by oloriooko(m): 7:13pm On Oct 27, 2019
And some eediots will keep blabbing that bubu mean well for us that voted him into power, one cannot but wonder if such eediots actually think before talking angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by jaxxy(m): 7:16pm On Oct 27, 2019
uchman:

Most business this days,

Oh lord help us!

The question is where did this draconian law come from? Even the duty tariff is vampiric.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Visit To Argo Legendary Ship Of Myth In Volos, Greece (photos) / Overcrowded Party Boat Sinks In Uganda, Killing Over 30, Some Missing(Pics) / Burial Of Abbas Sahabi Cashier Killed In Accident With His Power Bike. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.