Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,221 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers (29925 Views)

How Airport Officials Can Easily Plant Drugs On Your Luggage (Photos) / Man Wears All His Clothes At The Airport To Avoid British Airways Luggage Fees / African Woman Carries Her Luggage On The Head At The Airport In USA (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by DameB(f): 10:06pm On Oct 27, 2019
Lexusgs430:

They prosecute you, for buying fake goods.......... cheesy

Haaa... So no escape...
Na to dey pack two two kobo brands waka
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Nobody: 10:14pm On Oct 27, 2019
hamingra:

please read what is applicable in the USA (your own God Country) and stop this efulefu shouting you are doing! Yeye people!

*https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/US-USA-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm*

800 and less than 150 is still not the same , I'm sure in USA the money is going to government account, where's is our own going?
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Lexusgs430: 10:14pm On Oct 27, 2019
DameB:

Haaa... So no escape...
Na to dey pack two two kobo brands waka

Or make we kúkú wear all...... grin

1 Like

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by MoIbrahim: 10:23pm On Oct 27, 2019
Know your law. Buhari dis not make any law, it was there. Unless amended, it remains what ot has been.

franchasng:
You guys supporting Buhari and this his custom boss taxing Nigerians anyhow, are you guys aware that this same custom boss closed down all the car dealership and car shops in Lagos some weeks ago, asking them to pay heavy taxes for selling smuggled cars in the past decades Some were mandated to pay as huge as 15million naira tax, for what

You guys should keep supporting Buhari....but we the enlightened ones will keep sounding it for all to hear that Buhari and his cronies have finished Nigeria's treasury, so they are looking desperately for ways to raise money to cover up the money they looted and the ones they used in rigging the last election, kontinuuu, e concern me undecided undecided
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Enyimbamercedes: 10:24pm On Oct 27, 2019
I save my already taxed wages and taxed tickets to travel and shop. Then I am taxed on the shopping even if I do not intend to sell them As long as I can prove that the items are for personal use then why should they tax me? So I buy a new iPhone and they’ll tax me? I buy a laptop they’ll tax me? The 50k threshold was intentionally fixed to ensure that you must pay a tax

Next level of stupidity

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by DameB(f): 10:48pm On Oct 27, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Or make we kúkú wear all...... grin

grin grin nice o... I didn't think of that. Hmm but how person go take wear 4 shoes at once
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by stasius: 11:05pm On Oct 27, 2019
We don enter?

50k? Seriously? What is 50k in Nigeria of today? For eg. A travelling bag containing few gowns and footwears is already more than 50k. So everybody should get ready to start paying custom in our airports. This is interesting!!
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by olusola200: 11:08pm On Oct 27, 2019
Better not be true
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by stasius: 11:09pm On Oct 27, 2019
With the way Nigeria is going, soon people will start paying for smiling. And when u now laugh you are in trouble.. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by otokx(m): 11:15pm On Oct 27, 2019
There is more to this story.
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Legalese(m): 11:23pm On Oct 27, 2019
You are not retarded I presume. How is it good that a person would pay almost 35percent worth of the goods as duty fee. Are you normal?
qwertygeni:
This is quite good
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Lexusgs430: 11:54pm On Oct 27, 2019
DameB:

grin grin nice o... I didn't think of that. Hmm but how person go take wear 4 shoes at once

Make i think this shoe matter small....... grin
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by delawal: 12:18am On Oct 28, 2019
blame d Yoruba's for helping to bring this man back to aso rock
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Nobody: 1:03am On Oct 28, 2019
Please anyone that flies into MMA international Airport between now and next week should update us on how this situation affected him or her . I need to know what to expect .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by cococandy(f): 2:16am On Oct 28, 2019
This is so stupid. So I can’t carry my personal handbag into Nigeria because it’s worth so so and so amount?
What slowpoke thought this was a good idea?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Nobody: 2:54am On Oct 28, 2019
goldman777:
So anything worth over $138 dollars in the airport will be charged for not even up to $150 dollars Nigeria is truly the poverty capital of the world there is nothing worse than a leader who doesn't know what he is doing.This country is gradually being turned to a sh*t hole by our clueless leaders lipsrsealed
cry
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Nobody: 2:59am On Oct 28, 2019
Maydfourth:
I will fly to Gnana and enter Naija by road....

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Nobody: 3:01am On Oct 28, 2019
Kabir2Mohammad:

Anything that will encourage patronisation of local products should be commended . The hypocrisy of Nigerianyouths is second to none, they lament high rate of unemployment bedevilling the country simultaneously sabotaging government policies aimed at improving entrepreneurship
Buhari should start patronising hospitals in Nigeria instead of running to UK. The laws are not made applicable to the fantastically corrupt politicians, but the masses without any connection

1 Like

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Viktorino: 5:39am On Oct 28, 2019
I need to leave this country and never come back.The country is finished! angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by d33types: 6:22am On Oct 28, 2019
hamingra:

please read what is applicable in the USA (your own God Country) and stop this efulefu shouting you are doing! Yeye people!

*https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/US-USA-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm*

Seems you didn't even read it yourself. There were specifics in that page. 800 dollars didn't include bags and the likes.
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Kennodili(m): 7:10am On Oct 28, 2019
Miserable country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Maximize52: 7:13am On Oct 28, 2019
The quantity of personal items should not exceed two or at most three pieces of the same item. In this case it is only one item, so why ask for duty payment? N50000 value limit is outdated. A new limit should be set for valuation.
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by litaninja(m): 7:26am On Oct 28, 2019
Guys. The issue is not the law. It has always been there.
The issue is that it has probably never been reviewed SINCE it was put in place. Inflation has changed what 50,000 is from when the law was initiated. It simply needs yo be reviewed, but as with anything Nigerian, no maintenance, no review.
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by vineyardfarms: 8:24am On Oct 28, 2019
My point is - efcc collect, irs collet, custom collect, fed collect, state collect, lg collect, labor collect, park collect, nnpc collect, police collect, they keep collecting - yet our roads from bad to worst, mountains of abandon projects - healt system an eye sore, l wish these collection will trickle down to the masses. Our debts higher than mounth everest and as deep Bermuda landing. Apc keep ditching out lies about the state of the economy. We are now the poorest of the poorest. Garri now selling for the price of RICE, APC WHERE THUS THE COMMON FIT IN YOUR ADMINISTRATION??

1 Like

Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Gucciboy1(m): 10:00am On Oct 28, 2019
djdutch:
The Nigeria Customs Service has reemphasized that passengers passing through any Nigeria international airports can only be allowed to go through with goods or items with only N50,000 or less current market value. Comptroller-General of Customs, Col. Hamid Ali (retd) This clarification was made by the Public Relations Officer of the Service, DC Joseph Attah on behalf of the Comptroller-General of Customs.

According to Attah, the clarification became necessary following a “misleading narrative on the social media by a woman who claimed that she was ill treated at the Abuja Airport by Customs on the bases of her gender and tribe because she was asked to pay duty on a personal item she brought into the country.

Attah said : “The attention of the Nigeria Customs Service has been drawn to a misleading narrative by a woman(name withheld) whose claim of being ill treated at the airport on the bases of her gender, tribe or where she comes from is going viral on the social media”. “The woman arrived the country aboard BA083 at Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja had claimed that she was singled out and slammed with Customs Duty payment for one pair of shoes and “a mini boy bag” that should have been allowed to pass freely as personal effects”. “There is therefore the need to make public what actually transpired to put the record straight, especially as she maliciously introduced gender, tribal and other unnecessary sentiments into what was simply a case of being told to pay duty as what was in her possession was far above the allowable value of N50,000.00 and certainly beyond what normal discretion would allow”. “Upon routine search of this passenger’s luggage, operatives discovered a Loius Vuitton bag and shoe. Obviously knowing the luxury brand (Loius Vuitton), she was asked to produce the receipt which will be the basis for duty calculation or not. She could not produce the receipt of what she claimed she bought at the duty free shop at the point of departure, saying the receipt was with her husband who did not travel with her”. “The officers had to take the long route of ascertaining the current worth of her items through the internet. The luxury items were found to be worth N570,467.40k.

Consequently, appropriate duty assessment of N165, 692.25k was made and given to her to pay into Federal Government coffer. Since she could not immediately pay, a detention notice was given to her showing that the items would remain with the Nigeria Customs Service until she pays and brings evidence of payment before they will be released to her”. “Instead of paying the assessed duty and pick up her items or request to see any superior officer should she have any reservation on the assessed value, she took to use of the social media drawing all sorts of conjectures, gender (even when the officer, Ms Essien who attended to her is a lady), tribe etc and even inciting the public against the Service…”. “For the avoidance of doubt, we are aware that many Nigerians complain about the allowable amount of N50,000.00, but until the law is changed, Nigeria Customs Service will continue to enforce the extant law that says personal effects shall not exceed the value of N50,000.00. Anything more than the approved value is considered Merchandise in Baggage and therefore liable for duty payment. We therefore call on members of the public to disregard these conjectures and give assurances of our resolve to treat all Nigerians with deserved courtesy and respect in the discharge of our statutory functions,” he added

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/10/luggage-worth-more-than-n50000-attract-duties-customs-reminds-passengers/

Whaaat��... This country is a big joke.
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by DameB(f): 10:43am On Oct 28, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Make i think this shoe matter small....... grin

Lwkm... Oya epp us think am jare smiley smiley smiley
Cos our government must not get the better of us o
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by 27Pushing30: 6:01pm On Oct 28, 2019
Bizconnekt:

So d bulk of d problem lays at d feet of d legislature and d executive is innocent
Bulk yes
Executive innocent? you obviously do not read to understand
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by DameB(f): 6:55pm On Oct 28, 2019
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Bizconnekt: 2:21pm On Oct 29, 2019
27Pushing30:

Bulk yes
Executive innocent? you obviously do not read to understand

how does the bulk of d problem rest with the legislature? In ur professorial capacity, am sure you can shed some light
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Nobody: 4:26pm On Oct 29, 2019
People are complaining, but has anyone bothered to actually find out what the rates are

Brazil for instance has some extremely hard core import duties on game consoles. So all they have there for the msot part are locally manufactured Sega genesis machines

Their duty is from 10 to 35%

A lot of laws are not fully enforced in this country.

And as always, ignorance is not an excuse.
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by 27Pushing30: 8:15pm On Oct 29, 2019
Bizconnekt:

how does the bulk of d problem rest with the legislature? In ur professorial capacity, am sure you can shed some light

Simple... Brexit unending delays. Attempt to impeach trump

These are more recent examples of a buoyant legislature flexing their muscles .

Do you even know the powers legislators have?

It’s all good sha
Re: Luggage Above N50,000 Attract Duties - Customs Reminds Passengers by Bizconnekt: 11:38am On Oct 30, 2019
27Pushing30:

Simple... Brexit unending delays. Attempt to impeach trump

These are more recent examples of a buoyant legislature flexing their muscles .

Do you even know the powers legislators have?

It’s all good sha

No I dont no d powers of d legislature. Pls enlighten me.

In d case of brexit, they run a parliamentary system of govt. In addition to d trump example u gave, how does that prove that d Nigerian legislature is responsible 4d bulk of d countrys problems?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos Of Gashaka-Gumpti National Park In Taraba, Nigeria / Nigerians For Sale In Libya: Where Lives Are Auctioned For $400 / The Cost Of Living In Suleja Vs That Of Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.