Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,387 members, 7,800,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. (5322 Views)

Igboho: Ooni Failed Yoruba By Not Telling Buhari Truth About Killer Herdsmen / Re: Origin Of The Name Yoruba / Fani Kayode Is Right - The Name Yoruba(yarriba) Was Created In 1808 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Iamgrey5(m): 6:03pm On Oct 26, 2019
Osagyefo98:

And what is the meaning in your term?
Yoruba

Oyo oba

Yo ru iba

It was a collection of words

I want you to tell me what it translate to in Hausa and Fulani, Since you clearly believe a crack head over the submission of several Professors

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by seunmsg(m): 6:26pm On Oct 26, 2019
LabDNA:

I was actually beginning to credit until I read where he infered that the word 'yamiri' originated in the Civil war. No I beg to disagree, evidence and account of Igbos who lived in the north pre-civil war strongly proves that the word 'yamiri' predated the civil war.

The north was a hot place, and new Igbos migrant who travelled there, asked for water 'mmiri' when they arrived after the long journey which took days. They did so their language which was corrupted as 'yamiri' by the locals. The word pre-dated the civil war.

I also believe the word predates the civil war. However, it is possible the civil war amplified the word.

5 Likes

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by seunmsg(m): 6:27pm On Oct 26, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Why do you guys always deviate from real issues.

Must you guys drag everybody into una mess?

What can be done to Appease you guys in this country, to love others , understand and work in line with others?

What exactly?

The nonsense you typed is the answer to his questions, right?

2 Likes

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by LegendHer0: 7:02pm On Oct 26, 2019
Osagyefo98:

What can be done to Appease you guys in this country, to love others , understand and work in line with others?

What exactly?

I’m trying to drive at something. Please answer my earlier question !

2 Likes

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by lawani: 9:11pm On Oct 26, 2019
I believe it is a corruption of the Phoenician 'Europa'. It means west in Phoenician and was used to refer to Europe. Because Europe prospered without submitting to Allah, the word Europa came to mean those who prospered without submitting to Allah. The Songhai corrupted Europa to Yoruba and used the word to refer to the Oyo who were able to build a large empire without submitting to Allah.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by seunmsg(m): 3:43pm On Oct 27, 2019
lawani:
I believe it is a corruption of the Phoenician 'Europa'. It means west in Phoenician and was used to refer to Europe. Because Europe prospered without submitting to Allah, the word Europa came to mean those who prospered without submitting to Allah. The Songhai corrupted Europa to Yoruba and used the word to refer to the Oyo who were able to build a large empire without submitting to Allah.

The actual meaning of the name is what we don’t know but most researchers concluded that the name came from Oyo traders interaction with the people of the old Songhai empire.

2 Likes

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by ProudDick: 6:35pm On Oct 27, 2019
Osagyefo98:

I read every piece there but at the end no meaning to the word Yoruba as stated by FFk in his own submission.

Guess FFk is more sound and point blessed in his research.

Oyor(oyo) oba

Oba of oyo was so powerful and influential in those days that his people refer to themselves as people of the oba of oyo. Oyo(r)oba corrupted over time as Yoruba. Hope I’ve cleared your ignorance.

3 Likes

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by lawani: 10:35am On Oct 28, 2019
seunmsg:

The actual meaning of the name is what we don’t know but most researchers concluded that the name came from Oyo traders interaction with the people of the old Songhai empire.
From my observation, the original word was Phoenician meaning west later used to mean those who are civilized without submitting to Allah. The Songhai corrupted Europa to Yoruba.
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Obalufon: 8:31pm On Oct 29, 2019
Osagyefo98:
https://www.nairaland.com/5493376/ifa-great-oracle-does-not

Still reading but let me drop fact as above

In all these epistle Prof Banji couldn't tell us the meaning of yoruba and why no name us associated with it..... highly Insulting.

His beating about the bush shows FFK is right anyway. ........

you have need to read and dig it pighead ..what is the meaning of Arab ..Yoruba is a culture mothefucker

3 Likes

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by MetaPhysical: 8:32pm On Oct 29, 2019
seunmsg:
Cc: lalasticlala Mynd44.

The above piece is very comprehensive and answers all questions concerning the name ‘Yoruba’. It answers the questions raised by rabble rouser like FFK. We are Yorubas and we are proud of our name.

Thank you jare!
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by MetaPhysical: 8:33pm On Oct 29, 2019
Obalufon:

you have need to read and dig it pighead ..what is the meaning of Arab ..Yoruba is a culture mothefucker

grin grin
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Obalufon: 8:34pm On Oct 29, 2019
FFK is pussy drunk..that is why is spewing rubbish..

1 Like

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by MetaPhysical: 9:38pm On Oct 29, 2019
Obalufon:

'Balufon,
You and I not new to each other over this topic of defining Yoruba.

If you ask ten Yorubas of different subgroup about the root of their monarchies every one of them will point to Ife and Oduduwa. No conflict.

If you ask same people the meaning of Yoruba you will get ten different accounts each in conflict with next.

This is a challenge for people like you and I and others in Culture to revive that topic on Yoruba Origin then invite Yorubas to step in and learn. We need consistent answer on Yoruba and what it means.

Perharps, since we have a lead from Prof...we coupd baseline on his output.

Im CCing others with great input on that topic.

Absolutesuccess
Prexios
Olu317
Macof
ObalufonIII
ImperialYoruba
9jacrip
Lawani

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 29, 2019
MetaPhysical:

'Balufon,

If you ask ten Yorubas of different subgroup about the root of their monarchies every one of them will point to Ife and Oduduwa. No conflict.

If you ask same people the meaning of Yoruba you will get ten different accounts each in conflict with next.

This is a challenge for people like you and I and others in Culture to revive that topic on Yoruba Origin then invite Yorubas to step in and learn. We need consistent answer on Yoruba and what it means.

Absolutesuccess
Prexios
Olu317
Macof
ObalufonIII
ImperialYoruba
9jacrip
Lawani

You forgot to cc lzaa and myself

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by MetaPhysical: 10:19pm On Oct 29, 2019
immhotep:

You forgot to cc lzaa and myself

grin grin

Forgive me bro. I go remember next time.

Oya, make i hail my brothers...

Immhotep Kwenu!
Lzaa Kwenu!

Umunna Kwenuo zo!!!

grin

2 Likes

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 29, 2019
MetaPhysical:

grin grin

Forgive me bro. I go remember next time.

Oya, make i hail my brothers...

Immhotep Kwenu!
Lzaa Kwenu!

Umunna Kwenuo zo!!!

grin
Iseeeeee grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Obalufon: 11:10pm On Oct 29, 2019
MetaPhysical:

'Balufon,

Absolutesuccess
Prexios
Olu317
Macof
ObalufonIII
ImperialYoruba
9jacrip
Lawani

Well meaning of Yoruba We need a time machine ..it can be decoded,,,more to the name than we know...what is the meaning of Berber, Beri Beri Bariba, Yoruba ,Arab

1 Like

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:45pm On Oct 29, 2019
lawani:
From my observation, the original word was Phoenician meaning west later used to mean those who are civilized without submitting to Allah. The Songhai corrupted Europa to Yoruba.

I like this "Europa" twist, it blends well with "Yoruba"...worth looking into!

1 Like

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by bluke(m): 12:24am On Oct 30, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Yoruba

Oyo oba

Yo ru iba

It was a collection of words

I want you to tell me what it translate to in Hausa and Fulani, Since you clearly believe a crack head over the submission of several Professors

the name was a reference to where Oduduwa group came from . YARIB or YATHRIB in Saudi Arabia.
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by OhBiafra: 1:10am On Oct 30, 2019
bluke:

the name was a reference to where Oduduwa group came from . YARIB or YATHRIB in Saudi Arabia.
Confusion everywhere.
I weep for Yorubas
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by baby124: 1:21am On Oct 30, 2019
So, FFK’s argument is settled. Depends on where you live, Yoruba people are called many things. Most of the time anyways, groups get their names from outsiders who have to describe them in a certain way to identify them. For example, Aku, Anago and Lucumi. I personally think Yoruba has to do with the Oyo mostly. This is because in pre and colonial times, all subgroups identifies with their subgroup names. The rise of Oyo empire and Ife gave rise to a unifying movement of all groups. Which now came to be called Yoruba. The name definitely if broken down may have something to do with the Oyo’s and their Oba

1 Like

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Armaggedon: 2:32am On Oct 30, 2019
seunmsg:

If you take your time to read the intervention of Prof. Akintoye, you won’t even bother to post the uninformed opinion of Elebuibon.
The lengthy article proves nothing except what FFK said.

How can a professor write an article so shallow without evidence. this goes to prove how emotional Yoruba's can be.

1 Like

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by macof(m): 12:08pm On Oct 30, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Prof Akintoye was just beating around the bush.

Let him tell us the exact meaning of yoruba, and the reason no names was linked to yoruba as been historic.

Telling us you answering the name since 1300 and this people call you this and later call you that is just Nonsense.

He wasn't beating around the Bush. He gave an essay not a twitter post
You read too much twitter posts and so used to short statements that you call an essay beating around the Bush

Prof. Banji put this in such a way that students of history can make reference to for academic purposes
He even started the essay with the words "I cannot participate in the flippant levels of the debate" Prof. Banji cannot come down to your level or that of FFK
The Op also doesn't give the complete essay where he mentioned the tracing of the name "Yoruba" to "Joliba" which here could be in describing the Yoruba people as people who come from the river Niger
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by macof(m): 12:18pm On Oct 30, 2019
Osagyefo98:

I read every piece there but at the end no meaning to the word Yoruba as stated by FFk in his own submission.

Guess FFk is more sound and point blessed in his research.
. Are you this gullible?

So if a mad man tells you 126 + 563 = 308
You will take it as such because he gave an answer?

Btw, Prof. Akintoye gave clear hints at the origin of the name (he also gave a theory as to its etymology in the full article) ...if that's not enough for you, you can go to Mali and ask them

Why not worry yourself about the words used to call your ethnicity like this?

1 Like

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by macof(m): 12:21pm On Oct 30, 2019
Armaggedon:
The lengthy article proves nothing except what FFK said.

How can a professor write an article so shallow without evidence. this goes to prove how emotional Yoruba's can be.
so what evidence did FFK provide?

And in an essay, references are enough. The article has at least 3 sourced references. You can follow up on the references

How on earth did Nigerians become this dull??

1 Like

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by macof(m): 12:24pm On Oct 30, 2019
ivandragon:
It is clear that there is a strong link/association between the origins of the name Yoruba & the syro-arabian language as evidenced by Prof's reference to the relations between the indigenous people & those in the upper Sudan...

Regardless of this link/association, it is infantile for people to turn it into a derogatory ethnic debate.

Contact doesn't mean origin

Yorubas had contact with these people not that we originate from their culture
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by macof(m): 12:28pm On Oct 30, 2019
Osagyefo98:

What exactly?
shut the hell up. Why is the Yoruba case so important to you? When none of the major ethnicities in Nigeria have a meaning for their name in their language?

You are a snake, so stop pretending

1 Like

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by Olu317(m): 1:04pm On Oct 30, 2019
bluke:

Yarib is not associated with the Yoruba's etymology because, Yarib is a name identified with a group of Arab's descendants who lived in Arabia peninsula of Yemen that were Muslims at one time with in Near East history. The etymology of Yarib is different from Yo oru ba which was borne out of a people who use bá/aba/uba for father, king,lord,one who domineer over.

The name Baba is a Semitic name or with an Asia origin amongst Islam, Sikhism, Hinduism,Yoruba Hausa, etc which means, holyman, a spiritual leader of some sort while Ba/Aba is used both by Hebrew and Yoruba group which means, ‘father'. So, it is easy to trace the meaning of Yo oru ba if one consider the manner at which Yoruba interacted with Tapas,Hausas,Gambaris etc outside her domain with other people in their migration from one area to another.

Interestingly, Oranmiyan was the one whose identity was identified with ‘Ba' after he left Ileife in southwest and led the group as the prince with their ancestors language to the Igodomigodo and Oyo Ile which a small yoruba settlement before she grew to an empire in later years.

As far as my studying pictograms/ideograms convinced me of the Yoruba ethnic group as Semitic people from foundation. So pathetic are the people who can't read and decode the inscription on Opa Oranmiyan and Opa Ogun etc but are coming up to lay fallacious claim to what they don't have knowledge on the etymology of Yoruba's meaning. As bad it is, a so called Professor came up and posited that Yoruba has degoratory meaning in Hausa or fulani language.
It is so sad with all these tneory upon theory without fact when in fact, the etymology is as simple as ABC.
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by ivandragon: 1:51pm On Oct 30, 2019
macof:

Contact doesn't mean origin

Yorubas had contact with these people not that we originate from their culture

If you took time to read my comment, you would note that I wrote, "... origin of the name..." & Not origin of the people or tribe...

It's just like someone giving you a nickname based on certain characteristics which you may or may not possess & soon after, every one starts using that name to identify you. It doesn't mean the nickname is your name or that you are automatically biologically related to the person that called you by the name...
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by macof(m): 2:42pm On Oct 30, 2019
ivandragon:

If you took time to read my comment, you would note that I wrote, "... origin of the name..." & Not origin of the people or tribe...

It's just like someone giving you a nickname based on certain characteristics which you may or may not possess & soon after, every one starts using that name to identify you. It doesn't mean the nickname is your name or that you are automatically biologically related to the person that called you by the name...
noted
Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by bluke(m): 3:16pm On Oct 30, 2019
Olu317:
Yarib is not associated with the Yoruba's etymology because, Yarib is a name identified with a group of Arab's descendants who lived in Arabia peninsula of Yemen that were Muslims at one time with in Near East history. The etymology of Yarib is different from Yo oru ba which was borne out of a people who use bá/aba/uba for father, king,lord,one who domineer over.

The name Baba is a Semitic name or with an Asia origin amongst Islam, Sikhism, Hinduism,Yoruba Hausa, etc which means, holyman, a spiritual leader of some sort while Ba/Aba is used both by Hebrew and Yoruba group which means, ‘father'. So, it is easy to trace the meaning of Yo oru ba if one consider the manner at which Yoruba interacted with Tapas,Hausas,Gambaris etc outside her domain with other people in their migration from one area to another.

Interestingly, Oranmiyan was the one whose identity was identified with ‘Ba' after he left Ileife in southwest and led the group as the prince with their ancestors language to the Igodomigodo and Oyo Ile which a small yoruba settlement before she grew to an empire in later years.

As far as my studying pictograms/ideograms convinced me of the Yoruba ethnic group as Semitic people from foundation. So pathetic are the people who can't read and decode the inscription on Opa Oranmiyan and Opa Ogun etc but are coming up to lay fallacious claim to what they don't have knowledge on the etymology of Yoruba's meaning. As bad it is, a so called Professor came up and posited that Yoruba has degoratory meaning in Hausa or fulani language.
It is so sad with all these tneory upon theory without fact when in fact, the etymology is as simple as ABC.

Re: About The Name ‘Yoruba’. By Prof. Stephen Akintoye. by bluke(m): 3:21pm On Oct 30, 2019
Olu317:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Plateau South Senator Daduut Bags Thomas Sankara Award For Excellence / Gbogbo’s Men Threaten To Kill Nigerians / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Quits World Bank To Be Finance Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.