Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,152 members, 7,807,507 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:25 PM

Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria (25061 Views)

Benue: Fr. Alia Presents Certificate Of Return To Tor Tiv And Ochi’idoma / Question: Which Is The Most Populous Ethnic Group In Rivers State? / Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 12:43pm On Oct 27, 2019
Iamgrey5:
My man relax with this type of talk.

Ijebu majorly Muslim kee or is it because the current Awujale is Muslim?

We have ijebu igbo, ijebu ode, ijebu water side, Epe Ijebu, ijebu remo and ijebu ife

I believe only some side in ijebu Ode have a very large percentage of Muslims.

I think Sapoyoro was referring to the Ijebus of Lagos state and not those of Ogun state.

Lagos indigenes are predominantly muslims originally, but I don't think that is still the case today.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 12:44pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Yes you are right. Kanuris could be more than Tivs.
Please, there are no Ibibios in Cross River state. It is the Efiks that are in Cross river.
If Ibibios are on their own, they would be at the level of Igalas, Idomas, Urhobos, Bini BUT if they are merged with the Efiks, Annang & Oro, they would be at the level of Tivs & Kanuris.

For me, I think Igalas, Gbagyis, Nupes, Urhobos, Idomas, Binis and even Esans & Ebiras are around 2-3 million people each.
While Ibibio-Efiks, Kanuris, Ijaws & Tivs are around 5 million people each.

Please dont misunderstand me.i never said ibibios are indigenous to cross river,i said there the largest non indigenous tribe in cross river.the mistake you make is counting ethnicities only in their original homeland,no you must count areas they are settled in large numbers also.
ishans and ebiras cannot be up to 2 million.kogi was 3.2 million as of 2006.half of kogi is igala thats 1.6.leaving the okun and ebiras to share the remaining 1.6.if you estimate their growth rate at 2.6 % annually,they wont be up to 2 million.same applies to ishans.by estimation,edo should be 4.5 million now.half or more is made up of binis.the central where ishan inhabit has the least popupation so they cant be up to two million.

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 12:49pm On Oct 27, 2019
horsepower101:
I am sure the igbos numbers don’t include all igbos in Nigeria.

Igbos are spread out everywhere and the ones in the south south tend to be omitted on purpose.
Igbos in the ss and se should be 17 million.igbos in the west and north is 17 million still less than hausa and yoruba popupations
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 12:50pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

My friend my friend.
I agree with your analysis of the minorities.
Kanuris truly come first before Tivs, then Ijaws and Ibibio-Efik cluster.

However, I think Gbagyis should come first before Nupe & Igalas.
Nupes can only be equal to Gbagyis if you include the Nupe speaking tribes like Bassa, Kakanda, Kupa, Ganagana & Dibo (found in Kogi, FCT & Nasarawa). Some people from these tribes reject Nupe identity and some accept.

Gbagyis are the majority in 15 LGAs of Nigeria and minority in 5 LGAs.

Nupes are majority in 11 LGAs of Nigeria while Nupe speaking tribes are majority in 1 LGA and minority in 3 LGAs.

Igalas are majority in 8 LGAs and minority in 3 LGAs.
If you include the 6 Igala speaking towns across the Niger in Edo, Delta & Anambra and the ones in Enugu, then Igalas become a minority in 8 LGAs.

Many Kanuris (in Bauchi & Jigawa) and Gbagyi muslims in Niger state are heavily loosing their languages and cultures to Hausa and this could be the reason people underrate their populations.

I know LGAs are not exactly a reflection of population, however, they give a great picture.
Lgas are the best estimators.can you pinpoint the lgas nudes dominate in niger and the ones gwari dominate in niger and kaduna

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by sapoyoro(m): 12:52pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

I think Sapoyoro was referring to the Ijebus of Lagos state and not those of Ogun state.

Lagos indigenes are predominantly muslims originally, but I don't think that is still the case today.
yes..Lagos ijebus are majority Muslims.my mum family is one..
and ur second paragraph,Lagos ijebus are staunchly Muslims,it will be a long time before things like massively converting even happens..its one of the few last strongholds of Islam in yorubaland,thats how much serious they take the religion
Osun on the other hand? I don't see those ones as even serious religiously,you can be in church today and go to mosque tommorow and go to Ogun's shrine the 3rd day..and among osun people the rate of intermarrying BTW both religion is very high..but muslims are still the majority..slightly because more Muslims convert than xtians

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 12:52pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

My brother, you don't know Tiv oooooo! shocked
Tivs spread like wildfire just like the Fulanis. If not for Jukuns, Tivs would have almost overtaken Taraba state. These people are almost everywhere in Taraba. They are the strongest minority in almost every LGA of the state.

Same thing in the Southern parts of Nasarawa state and even Northern Cross River.

People consider them as non indigenes but they are in those places.

Tivs have ethnically absorbed the Etulo people (An Idoma speaking people), and many Igede people now speak Tiv as a fluent 2nd language and even 1st language.

Tiv towns are heavily populated and even in 2006 census, Tiv LGAs showed high population.
A LGA like Gboko up to 500,000 people and almost everyone there is Tiv. It is not the capital or even close to the capital Makurdi.

Tivs have not been in present day Nigeria for more than 500 years, but see how they managed to displace and cut off Kwararafan tribes with their spread. They are a people of Bantu origin and I don't think I need to remind you about the GREAT BANTU EXPANSION.
Same thing you accused hausas of.a large majority will always suppress minorities
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 12:53pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Maybe

Still I believe the ijebus in ikorodu should be like 50/50

The ones in Epe/Ibeju near Lagos island tho are predominantly Muslims.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 12:54pm On Oct 27, 2019
sapoyoro:

lol...Lagos even has more Muslims than osun state..the ijebus and aworis are majority Muslim..
Muslim are slightly majority in sw..despite what you read on media,ondo and ekiti Muslims are not minority,both stated has overwhelming Muslim population...
I agree with the rest of your points.
I think christians are 50%,muslims 35% the rest 15% in sw.muslims are only majority in osun and oyo and almost equal with xtians in lagos.they are a strong minority in ondo and ogun
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by sapoyoro(m): 12:55pm On Oct 27, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Maybe

Still I believe the ijebus in ikorodu should be like 50/50

The ones in Epe/Ibeju near Lagos island tho are predominantly Muslims.
yeah,thats correct..my mum is from ibeju/Eke area.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 12:56pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Did you just say MAYBE KANURI?

Southerners do not know the north and that is the problem.

Kanuris are the only minority group in Nigeria that always produce 2 governors unchallenged.
Kanuris are the majority in Borno & Yobe states and minorities in Bauchi & Jigawa states. They dominate like 30 LGAs in 4 different states.
Ijaws on the other hand dominate only 1 state and about 22 LGAs in 6 different states.

Ogbia,brass and yenagoa are not dominated by ijaws.but since the ijaws are the largest in bayelsa,they are classiffied as ijaws to avoid confusion same thing you accused the hausas of.every tribe is guilty of this assimilation

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by sapoyoro(m): 12:56pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

I think christians are 50%,muslims 35% the rest 15% in sw.muslims are only majority in osun and oyo and almost equal with xtians in lagos.they are a strong minority in ondo and ogun
nope in sw,Muslims are majority..but not by much.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 12:58pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

True, I know Lagos indigenes are mostly muslim, but the conversion rate among them over the years have been very very high.

Another thing is that too many Yorubas from other states now live in Lagos and claim Omo Eko. I think if you count all the Yorubas in Lagos, christians are the slight majority. If you now add the Igbos and SS people living in Lagos, Okpari.

Bro, muslims are a minority in Ondo and much smaller minority in Ekiti, same thing in Kogi west. Most Ondo sub tribes and kingdoms are christian.
Are you aware that most of the muslims in Ekiti are settlers from other Yoruba states? It is difficult to find an Ekiti indigene or indigenous town that is muslim originally.

I think Yorubas are a 50/50 today or slightly majority christian. But as of like 50 years ago, muslims had the overwhelming majority.
Yorubas are 50% 55 percent christians.not all indigenous tribes in lagos and ondo are yorubas but we classify them as yorubas due to yorubanization.infact,some historians claim that the ijebus and aworis were originally mot yorubas

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 12:59pm On Oct 27, 2019
sapoyoro:

nope in sw,Muslims are majority..but not by much.
Give me a state by state breakdown.funny enough,am meeting more yoruba muslimss slightly than christians
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ConqueredWest: 1:00pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

Please dont misunderstand me.i never said ibibios are indigenous to cross river,i said there the largest non indigenous tribe in cross river.the mistake you make is counting ethnicities only in their original homeland,no you must count areas they are settled in large numbers also.
ishans and ebiras cannot be up to 2 million.kogi was 3.2 million as of 2006.half of kogi is igala thats 1.6.leaving the okun and ebiras to share the remaining 1.6.if you estimate their growth rate at 2.6 % annually,they wont be up to 2 million.same applies to ishans.by estimation,edo should be 4.5 million now.half or more is made up of binis.the central where ishan inhabit has the least popupation so they cant be up to two million.

Wrong

Igbos are the largest non indigenous people of Cross River

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 1:03pm On Oct 27, 2019
ConqueredWest:

Wrong

Please,stop this nonsense.dont ridicule yourself here.in every town in cross river after the indigenes,the ibibios are the largest.please dont argue this anywhere.even in calabar city,the ibibios are the largest.drop this argument.its only in ikom and maybe ogoja that you find igbos more than ibibios
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by NNEWIsuper: 1:08pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

Please,stop this nonsense.dont ridicule yourself here.in every town in cross river after the indigenes,the ibibios are the largest.please dont argue this anywhere.even in calabar city,the ibibios are the largest.drop this argument.its only in ikom and maybe ogoja that you find igbos more than ibibios
I think igbos are far more than ibibios in Cross River, I was shocked when I took a tour to Cross River State to discover most non-indigenes spoke Igbo and were mostly from neighboring Ebonyi, Abia and Enugu

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 1:09pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

lets forget about pure hausa or impure hausa.lets look at hausa in general to avoid confusion.forget about whether a tribe are settlers or not in an area,we are looking at their total population in nigeria.if a tribe choose to become hausa,then there are hausa.even among the yorubas and ibos,we have lot of smaller tribes who assimilated into them.if you look at the history of the yorubas,a large part of lagos,ondo,kwara and other smaller tribes were lived at the borderland of yorubaland were originally not yorubas but with years of interaction,they were yorubanized.
If you also look at the history of the igbos,most of the tribes in ebonyi and parts of abia were not igbos but gradually became igbonized over the years.it is common with all large ethnicities,their culture will always swallow and dominate the smaller cultures near them so please leave the controversial aspect of pure and impure.thats why you have a lot of dialects within one ethnicity.
Am aware that hausas do not have a state they wholly dominate but in all the states of the northwest,there the largest group while the fulanis are minorities except in gombe and adamawa and taraba where's there the numerous groups.even in my state cross river,a lot of tribes who are classified as efiks are originally not efik.even in akwa ibom,if you disswct the ibibios,you will be shocked but lets leave that side.

Ibos make up 35% or more of rivers but not delta.the urhobos are the largest in delta followed by the igbo speaking tribes.not all the tribes in delta north are even igbos.lets say 30% or less.so,we go by my estimation.hausas,yorubas and ibos and fulanis.

Here is your mistake in analogy.

The hausanized tribes of today started becoming hausanized at the colonization period of Nigeria which saw to the promotion of Hausa as the de facto official language of the north. It was a government thing.
All these tribes are/were documented as independent tribes on records by the British, so, counting them as Hausas would not be fair.

We in Plateau & Southern Kaduna for instance would have been counted as Hausas today if we were muslims, cos we couldn't have been easily differentiated. Christianity is the only reason we maintained our identities.

As for Yoruba & Igbo, any form of Yorubanization or Igbonization took place before colonialism. It was a natural process, not one which was forced by govt policies. There is no group of people which are identified as Yorubas & Igbos today that were not identified likewise in colonial documents.

If you will count Hausa settlers outside the 7 states I mentioned, then I think you should also count the millions of Igbo settlers and Yoruba settlers accross Nigeria and the world.

Listen to your double standard. Hausas are many today to a large extent because of the Hausanized fulanis in their midst. There is no way you can count hausanized fulanis as Hausas to make Hausas the largest tribe in Nigeria and at the same time count these Hausanized fulanis as Fulanis, to make Fulanis the 4th largest tribe.
It cannot work like this! You cannot count one people twice.

It is either the Hausanized Fulanis are joined to the Hausas and Hausas become the largest ethnic group in Nigeria (while Fulanis become top 10) or the Hausanized Fulanis are added to Fulani population and Fulanis become the 4th largest ethnic group while Hausa becomes 3rd largest after Yoruba & Igbo. Simple.

Lastly, I counted all Igbo speaking tribes of Delta & Rivers as Igbo. Most of these people were counted as Igbos in colonial classifications and not Ikwerres, Ikas or whatever.
So, if you add the Ikwerres, Etches, Ndokis, Ndonis, Ogbas & Ekpeye in 10 LGAs of Rivers state, are you sure they are not up to half of the state?

In Delta state, if you add the Ikas, Ndokwas & Enuanis in 9 LGAs of the state. I think they are up to ⅓ of the state.
Besides, I never said they were the majority in Delta state. Of course the Urhobos are in my opinion, however, Igbo speaking tribes in Delta state are up to ⅓ of the state's population. They can't really be less.

13 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 1:27pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

Ogbia,brass and yenagoa are not dominated by ijaws.but since the ijaws are the largest in bayelsa,they are classiffied as ijaws to avoid confusion same thing you accused the hausas of.every tribe is guilty of this assimilation

Lol, you have a good point here.

Many people being called Ijaws in Bayelsa & Rivers are not even remotely Ijaw. But because of Upland & Lowland politics in old Rivers state, all these other tribes accept to be Ijaw today and they are proud of it.

I did my youth service in Bayelsa state and I asked these Epie people the question and they proudly accept to be Ijaws grin I think it is their choice.
GEJ is an Ogbia man, he accepts to be Ijaw and Ijaws accept him.

As for Hausas ehn, the Hausanization is not and can never be 100% complete unless the minority christians of those areas are evicted.

You see all these Bauchi & Yobe tribes who are loosing their identity to Hausa, it is only among their muslims. Some of these tribes still have few christian minorities in their villages who fiercely reject Hausa identity and still manage to keep the culture and language against all odds.

While for those who are 99% muslim, you still have the old women & men in those tribes in the interior villages still speaking the language.
There is a tribe called BURE in Bauchi state and only 1 old woman alive can still speak the language. All the other Bure people have become linguistically Hausas of course. So should we count these people as Hausas?

It is very dicey.

5 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 1:33pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Lol, you have a good point here.

Many people being called Ijaws in Bayelsa & Rivers are not even remotely Ijaw. But because of Upland & Lowland politics in old Rivers state, all these other tribes accept to be Ijaw today and they are proud of it.

I did my youth service in Bayelsa state and I asked these Epie people the question and they proudly accept to be Ijaws grin I think it is their choice.
GEJ is an Ogbia man, he accepts to be Ijaw and Ijaws accept him.

As for Hausas ehn, the Hausanization is not and can never be 100% complete unless the minority christians of those areas are evicted.

You see all these Bauchi & Yobe tribes who are loosing their identity to Hausa, it is only among their muslims. Some of these tribes still have few christian minorities in their villages who fiercely reject Hausa identity and still manage to keep the culture and language against all odds.

While for those who are 99% muslim, you still have the old women & men in those tribes in the interior villages still speaking the language.
There is a tribe called BURE in Bauchi state and only 1 old woman alive can still speak the language. All the other Bure people have become linguistically Hausas of course. So should we count these people as Hausas?

It is very dicey.
You have to count them as so because all known laws globally supports it.now,an adult has a right to choose whichever name he wants to be called,change dates of birth arbitrarily.as far as one dwelled among a certain tribe for many years,aacculturated,speak same language and decides to be of that tribe,he is of that tribe.even in calabar city,most efuts and quas now identify as efiks.you cannot now change goal post in the case of the hausas because of religion.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 1:37pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

Most Igbos will not be able to tell the difference between Ibibios & Cross River indigenes, afterall you guys are similar.
This is the mistake people like ConqueredWest and NNEWIsuper are making.

Most Igbos will think they are the largest non-indigenous group in Kano too, cos they cannot easily tell the difference between Hausas & Kanuris. It's like that.

3 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 1:41pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Yes you are right. Kanuris could be more than Tivs.
Please, there are no Ibibios in Cross River state. It is the Efiks that are in Cross river.
If Ibibios are on their own, they would be at the level of Igalas, Idomas, Urhobos, Bini BUT if they are merged with the Efiks, Annang & Oro, they would be at the level of Tivs & Kanuris.

For me, I think Igalas, Gbagyis, Nupes, Urhobos, Idomas, Binis and even Esans & Ebiras are around 2-3 million people each.
While Ibibio-Efiks, Kanuris, Ijaws & Tivs are around 5 million people each.

Nope!

I agree with the rest.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 1:42pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Here is your mistake in analogy.

The hausanized tribes of today started becoming hausanized at the colonization period of Nigeria which saw to the promotion of Hausa as the de facto official language of the north. It was a government thing.
All these tribes are/were documented as independent tribes on records by the British, so, counting them as Hausas would not be fair.

We in Plateau & Southern Kaduna for instance would have been counted as Hausas today if we were muslims, cos we couldn't have been easily differentiated. Christianity is the only reason we maintained our identities.

As for Yoruba & Igbo, any form of Yorubanization or Igbonization took place before colonialism. It was a natural process, not one which was forced by govt policies. There is no group of people which are identified as Yorubas & Igbos today that were not identified likewise in colonial documents.

If you will count Hausa settlers outside the 7 states I mentioned, then I think you should also count the millions of Igbo settlers and Yoruba settlers accross Nigeria and the world.

Listen to your double standard. Hausas are many today to a large extent because of the Hausanized fulanis in their midst. There is no way you can count hausanized fulanis as Hausas to make Hausas the largest tribe in Nigeria and at the same time count these Hausanized fulanis as Fulanis, to make Fulanis the 4th largest tribe.
It cannot work like this! You cannot count one people twice.

It is either the Hausanized Fulanis are joined to the Hausas and Hausas become the largest ethnic group in Nigeria (while Fulanis become top 10) or the Hausanized Fulanis are added to Fulani population and Fulanis become the 4th largest ethnic group while Hausa becomes 3rd largest after Yoruba & Igbo. Simple.

Lastly, I counted all Igbo speaking tribes of Delta & Rivers as Igbo. Most of these people were counted as Igbos in colonial classifications and not Ikwerres, Ikas or whatever.
So, if you add the Ikwerres, Etches, Ndokis, Ndonis, Ogbas & Ekpeye in 10 LGAs of Rivers state, are you sure they are not up to half of the state?

In Delta state, if you add the Ikas, Ndokwas & Enuanis in 9 LGAs of the state. I think they are up to ⅓ of the state.
Besides, I never said they were the majority in Delta state. Of course the Urhobos are in my opinion, however, Igbo speaking tribes in Delta state are up to ⅓ of the state's population. They can't really be less.

It is sweet to argue with you.you are right and also made my point.in all the census conducted by the british ,hausas and fulanis were separated and countes differently.those minority tribes who are now hausanized were differentiated as you said but the hausas were still always the number one.therefore,their the largest.
Mind you,there was also natural acculturation in the north before colonialism. before and after the fulani jihad,a lot of fulanis were becoming hausanized.therefore,whether it was before or after colonialism,assimilation took place and swelled up the numbers of the three top tribes.
I never argued with you on rivers.igbo speaking tribes dominate rivers no doubt followed by ijaw speakers.bur right now most of these igbo speakers are claiming different ethnicities and we cannot force them to be otherwise
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 1:48pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

Most Igbos will not be able to tell the difference between Ibibios & Cross River indigenes, afterall you guys are similar.
This is the mistake people like ConqueredWest and NNEWIsuper are making.

Most Igbos will think they are the largest non-indigenous group in Kano too, cos they cannot easily tell the difference between Hausas & Kanuris. It's like that.
Thank you.i was about to say this.most non indigenes cannot differentiate between efiks and the akwa ibom speakers and they dont care to know.the efiks are few in number with a low birth rate while the birth rate of the akwa ibom tribes is astronomical,very frightening.90% of those they think are efiks are not.even in my community that is near abia state,the ibibios are more numerous than the igbos by far.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 1:50pm On Oct 27, 2019
NNEWIsuper:

I think igbos are far more than ibibios in Cross River, I was shocked when I took a tour to Cross River State to discover most non-indigenes spoke Igbo and were mostly from neighboring Ebonyi, Abia and Enugu
Your an igbo so its expected while am from cross river therefore am in a better place to know.there's no cross riverian that will disagres with me unfortunately they are few here.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 1:58pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

Igalas are not half of Kogi. More like 40-45% max.
People think Kogi east is is just Igala...forgetting that there are Bassa Nges and Bassa Komos plus Idomas there too
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 2:28pm On Oct 27, 2019
Nowenuse:

This statistic is absolute bullshit. There is no way in hell Hausas & fulanis combined can equal the population of Yorubas & Igbos combined, let alone only Hausa being equal to Yoruba & Igbo combined.

Also, muslims can never be the majority in Nigeria.
In Southern Nigeria, only in Oyo & Osun states are muslims up to half/more of the population, meanwhile you have Northern Nigeria where Benue, Plateau, Taraba and FCT are predominantly/overwhemingly christian, and Kogi, Nasarawa, Adamawa & Kaduna states as around a 50/50. Then Borno, Kebbi, Niger, Gombe & Kwara who have at least 25-40% of it's population as christian.

With this, how on earth can muslims be a majority in Nigeria? Americans should shove up that stupid and useless statistics up their asses.
This is exactly what I've been saying all through the years. Where are the Hausas they're talking about? It's a rubbish statistics. Christians are a majority in Nigeria. If not for the hatred against Igbos in Nigeria, all these rubbish won't have been seen in Nigeria. Today all Christians are suffering because of the gang up against Igbos.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 2:33pm On Oct 27, 2019
gidgiddy:
The fourth largest ethnic group? It has to be between Ibibios, Ijaws and maybe Kanuri

I dont think Tiv is large enough to make the 4th list
I'm not sure of others but between the TIVs and the Ijaws, Tivs are certainly the biggest. Kanuris seem to be the 5th biggest after the fulanis.

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by eternityk: 2:54pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

Thank you.i was about to say this.most non indigenes cannot differentiate between efiks and the akwa ibom speakers and they dont care to know.the efiks are few in number with a low birth rate while the birth rate of the akwa ibom tribes is astronomical,very frightening.90% of those they think are efiks are not.even in my community that is near abia state,the ibibios are more numerous than the igbos by far.
I fear for yorubas for living in same country with people like you
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by eternityk: 2:57pm On Oct 27, 2019
pazienza:
According to CIA book of facts, the Hausa-Fulani remain the most populous ethnic group in Nigeria by far, constituting over 30% of Nigeria Population. Igbos at 14.1% are the second most populous ethnic group, while the Yoruba at 13.9% are the third.

However, the big surprise is the fact that Ibibio/Tiv at 2.2% each and not Ijaw at 2.0%, are considered the most populous groups outside the traditional tripod.

Additionally, Nigeria is largely an Islamic country , with Muslims making up 51.6% of the population, in contrast to the 46.9% of the Nigerian citizens who are Christians. The other significant group are the traditionists who make up 9% of the population.

Nigeria as you can see from the above figures is an overtly religious country with an insignificant number of agnostic/atheists.

Let the discussions , calculations and permutations begin.

B
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ni.htm
Be living in delusions
Something manipulated by u people
U then come online to chest beat
U this people think everybody is stupid, don't u
I don't know what u people gain from this crap
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 3:02pm On Oct 27, 2019
scholes0:

Igalas are not half of Kogi. More like 40-45% max.
People think Kogi east is is just Igala...forgetting that there are Bassa Nges and Bassa Komos plus Idomas there too
I agree.i only approximated or tried to exaggerate.out of the 9 lgas in kogi west,they dominate 7.bassa and one other lga which i cant recall are not igala dominated.what is the percentage of okun and ebiras
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 3:06pm On Oct 27, 2019
ConqueredWest:

Wrong

Hello my guy. What's up?
To the topic, you're mistaking here. Igbos are indigenous to Cross River state and the Ibibios are the largest non-indigenes in the state.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 3:15pm On Oct 27, 2019
garfield1:

Igbos in the ss and se should be 17 million.igbos in the west and north is 17 million still less than hausa and yoruba popupations
How can you say the population of Igbos in their two major regions of origin be 17million? You clearly don't know the population distribution of Igbos.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Nigerians To Pay More As FG Approves Tariff Increase For Power Companies, Disco / Nigerian Army Recaptures And Patrols Baga (Video) / Ministerial List: Submission Of Petitions Against Nominees Begins Tuesday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.