Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:28 PM

Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder (35155 Views)

Woman Obsessed With Murder TV Shows And Books, Killed Victim 'Out Of Curiosity' / Drama In Sierra Leone As Corpse Walks To The House Of Ritualist That Killed Her / The 230Mph Hellfire Missile That Killed Soleimani (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by berrystunn(m): 8:39pm On Oct 27, 2019
logon599:
Honestly initially I argued that this driver could be an innocent driver who thought he was driving a truck carrying biscuits but then I thought of it- before those people died there's no way they won't have been screaming and banging on the truck. No matter how thick the truck was, there's no way the driver won't have heard a faint scream or a faint bang. So that alone makes me believe he was part of the whole scheme.
What a tragic and horrifying way to go.

Besides I've been thinking how did they convince 39 adults to enter a refrigerated truck and remain there for hours and that nothing will go wrong?? Were they hypnotized? Guess we'll never know

You think is the first time ?
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 27, 2019
Lamasta:

To explain himself of cos? Abi is he not the one that drove the lorry in which 39 able bodied men died? How will he drive a lorry without checking what is inside?
He might not have been the one in charge of checking the truck.
I see no reason for this.
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Lamasta(m): 9:13pm On Oct 27, 2019
midnighter:

I understand what you are saying, but

The container can be sealed at another location and then he is given an invoice telling him what's inside.

The border security don't have enough staff so they tell drivers to check for themselves what may be inside, which leads to irregularities. Besides there are only some staff who know how to interpret scans

The driver does his own checks in the presence of staff, if they give him the go ahead then he is free to take it

The heat sensor is not the only available technology but the Belgian port had bad security

At times they are coerced by gangs to carry people

The fact that the media has jumped the gun and plastered his face all over doesn't mean he is guilty, we have to follow the story
You right tho, that's why immigration usually warns people not to collect luggage from people in the name of sending it as a message cos you never can tell what is inside the bag or parcel you are to deliver.
To me the driver has question to answer but guilty I cant say cos 39 souls is what we talking here mehn they cant die just like that
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Lamasta(m): 9:16pm On Oct 27, 2019
StacyO:

He might not have been the one in charge of checking the truck.
I see no reason for this.

In the court of law IGNORANCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE...
As a driver moving a truck loaded with contents and you don't have idea of what is inside? All the people involve in this should be prosecuted
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by r4roty(m): 9:17pm On Oct 27, 2019
oshe11:

My Own question is, why did they switch ON the Refrigerator?
Your head dey there because no sane man will do that. something might have gone awry for a cryogenic plant to activate itself and preserve 39 bodies like frozen meat. the driver is certainly innocent unless background checks on him proves otherwise. the electronics may be faulty.

1 Like

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by uuzba(m): 9:21pm On Oct 27, 2019
Chi59:
This fine guy. Love his eyes... Chai! Justice must be served anyways.
Never allow white man's eyes to hypnotise you
Seriously. The first time I looked into the eyes a white woman talking to me, E remain small, I for kiss the woman.
Maybe that's how they use us to do slave trade

1 Like

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by midnighter(f): 9:24pm On Oct 27, 2019
Lamasta:

You right tho, that's why immigration usually warns people not to collect luggage from people in the name of sending it as a message cos you never can tell what is inside the bag or parcel you are to deliver.
To me the driver has question to answer but guilty I cant say cos 39 souls is what we talking here mehn they cant die just like that

Exactly! But this one is the mans job and that particular port is popular with smugglers because its security is not very good.

The people traffickers and smugglers are the ones who are supposed to go to jail, but they are as cunning and wealthy as drug Mafias, it takes years to catch just one of them. They just catch these small small guys and squeeze them for information

Imagine an airport without enough staff, so they tell people to scan their own bags, does it make sense? They need to stop sacking their staff and invest more in border controls

1 Like

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Lamasta(m): 9:31pm On Oct 27, 2019
midnighter:

Exactly! But this one is the mans job and that particular port is popular with smugglers because its security is not very good.

The people traffickers and smugglers are the ones who are supposed to go to jail, but they are as cunning and wealthy as drug Mafias, it takes years to catch just one of them. They just catch these small small guys and squeeze them for information

Imagine an airport without enough staff, so they tell people to scan their own bags, does it make sense? They need to stop sacking their staff and invest more in border controls
The Police should get to the root of the matter and arrest all the culprits involved in this devilish act
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by panpan(m): 9:32pm On Oct 27, 2019
The driver was not charged with murder.

He has been charged with 39 counts of manslaughter as well as people trafficking, and immigration offences.
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by deuzgreat: 10:27pm On Oct 27, 2019
Chi59:
This fine guy. Love his eyes... Chai! Justice must be served anyways.
he looks scary actually abi ur blind ni
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Nobody: 10:33pm On Oct 27, 2019
Or maybe they were drugged before boarding the truck.
As you had rightly said, we will never know. Dead people don't talk.
logon599:
Honestly initially I argued that this driver could be an innocent driver who thought he was driving a truck carrying biscuits but then I thought of it- before those people died there's no way they won't have been screaming and banging on the truck. No matter how thick the truck was, there's no way the driver won't have heard a faint scream or a faint bang. So that alone makes me believe he was part of the whole scheme.
What a tragic and horrifying way to go.

Besides I've been thinking how did they convince 39 adults to enter a refrigerated truck and remain there for hours and that nothing will go wrong?? Were they hypnotized? Guess we'll never know

1 Like

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Kaycee7(m): 7:16am On Oct 28, 2019
thelastorca:
very wicked people. That guy has a family to take care of. No understanding whatsoever.
They don't know things are hard right now. Man's just trying to make a living.
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 28, 2019
Lamasta:

As a driver moving a truck loaded with contents and you don't have idea of what is inside? All the people involve in this should be prosecuted
Hmmm
Till i hear the court details,I'll conclude.
For now it is INCONCLUSIVE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Omoluabi16(m): 3:22pm On Oct 28, 2019
midnighter:

You are not serious

I didn't say that he is innocent. I said that it is possible that he is innocent and we should wait until the police finish questioning him

Do you know what the word "charge" means?? A charge is not a conviction. And an arrest is not a charge!

You really need to learn to read and comprehend! It will help you a lot!
If they can do a thorough analysis of when that dying victim sent a text to her mom, that could at least give a clue of the times they all died. But I think they were already dead before that truck got to the UK.

And they didn't show their corpse..which is comforting in a way.
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by midnighter(f): 3:44pm On Oct 28, 2019
Omoluabi16:
If they can do a thorough analysis of when that dying victim sent a text to her mom, that could at least give a clue of the times they all died. But I think they were already dead before that truck got to the UK.

And they didn't show their corpse..which is comforting in a way.

Exactly. You are reasoning logically and not jumping to conclusions, that's all anybody can ask for

They will also use forensics to determine how and when those people died

They will find out who dropped the trailer at the Belgian port

Yeah it's against the law to show the corpse. I doubt most people in those countries have even seen one unless it's part of their work
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Omoluabi16(m): 5:01pm On Oct 28, 2019
midnighter:

Exactly. You are reasoning logically and not jumping to conclusions, that's all anybody can ask for

They will also use forensics to determine how and when those people died

They will find out who dropped the trailer at the Belgian port

Yeah it's against the law to show the corpse. I doubt most people in those countries have even seen one unless it's part of their work
If indeed innocent, then the driver has no worries. He will be off the hook. But he has a whole lot of questions to answer..he will be key to unraveling this whole drama.
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by TheShopKeeper(m): 5:26pm On Oct 28, 2019
Lamasta:

...Investigations to the driver's social media postings such as facebook and others will have given the state prosecutors opportunity to file a charge of manslaughter...

...also it is a well-known fact in haulage business...every driver should be fully aware of the consignment they are transporting...there should be a manifest or record of what goods are been transported...

...this young driver will be seen as an accomplice / accessory to the crime...(the unfortunate death of 39 people)...

1 Like

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by midnighter(f): 6:52pm On Oct 28, 2019
Omoluabi16:
If indeed innocent, then the driver has no worries. He will be off the hook. But he has a whole lot of questions to answer..he will be key to unraveling this whole drama.

The one that's pointing to his guilt is the charge for money laundering.

If he took money to transport the trailer because it had migrants inside he is in very hot soup
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Omoluabi16(m): 6:58pm On Oct 28, 2019
midnighter:

The one that's pointing to his guilt is the charge for money laundering.

If he took money to transport the trailer because it had migrants inside he is in very hot soup
Yes oh. But not as severe as the murder charge he's currently facing.
Money laundering? I think trafficking or smuggling would be the charge.
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by midnighter(f): 7:02pm On Oct 28, 2019
Omoluabi16:
Yes oh. But not as severe as the murder charge he's currently facing.
Money laundering? I think trafficking or smuggling would be the charge.

Go and check, he has been charged with conspiracy to traffic people, manslaughter, money laundering and conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration

All those can be undone except if they find funds relating to transporting those people in the trailer.

That would mean he was involved in it and he knew they were inside there

Unless the money laundering charge is not related to this particular incident. But if he was trying to clean the money for transporting those people and they prove it, then that's it
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Omoluabi16(m): 7:10pm On Oct 28, 2019
midnighter:

Go and check, he has been charged with conspiracy to traffic people, manslaughter, money laundering and conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration

All those can be undone except if they find funds relating to transporting those people in the trailer.

That would mean he was involved in it and he knew they were inside there
That's a whole lot on his neck. Let's see how it all unfolds.
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by midnighter(f): 7:13pm On Oct 28, 2019
Omoluabi16:
That's a whole lot on his neck. Let's see how it all unfolds.

Yes oh..too bad. The most important thing is to get justice for the poor souls that died
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Nobody: 2:10am On Oct 29, 2019
emmyskies:

Ehen.... I don catch u cheesy
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Nobody: 2:11am On Oct 29, 2019
uuzba:

Never allow white man's eyes to hypnotise you
Seriously. The first time I looked into the eyes a white woman talking to me, E remain small, I for kiss the woman.
Maybe that's how they use us to do slave trade
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by tck2000(m): 1:08pm On Oct 29, 2019
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Lamasta(m): 10:00am On Oct 30, 2019
TheShopKeeper:

...Investigations to the driver's social media postings such as facebook and others will have given the state prosecutors opportunity to file a charge of manslaughter...

...also it is a well-known fact in haulage business...every driver should be fully aware of the consignment they are transporting...there should be a manifest or record of what goods are been transported...

...this young driver will be seen as an accomplice / accessory to the crime...(the unfortunate death of 39 people)...

That is it You have said it all....
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Lamasta(m): 10:01am On Oct 30, 2019
StacyO:
Hmmm Till i hear the court details,I'll conclude. For now it is INCONCLUSIVE
Na so my brother lets keep our fingers crossed...
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 31, 2019
Lamasta:

Na so my brother lets keep our fingers crossed...
Lol
I'm a lady oo
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Lamasta(m): 12:14pm On Oct 31, 2019
StacyO:
Lol I'm a lady oo
Lol grin ok o my Lady
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Nobody: 6:25am On Dec 06, 2019
Lamasta:

Have you heard any relevant news about this incident since then?
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Lamasta(m): 6:28am On Dec 06, 2019
StacyO:
Have you heard any relevant news about this incident since then?
I actually did not follow the story since then
Re: Driver Of The Cold Truck That Killed 39 Migrants Has Been Charged With Murder by Nobody: 7:07am On Dec 06, 2019
Lamasta:

I actually did not follow the story since then
I can't miss it
I'll do some research,will mention you later.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is Hamas, What Is Happening In Israel And Gaza Strip, And Other Questions / Ukraine No-Fly Zone: What It Means And Why The West Won't Act / See Current Zimbabwean President Tweet, As Mugabe Dies At 95 (pixs)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.