Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church (19420 Views)

Timini Egbuson: Why I Stopped Attending Church / Not Attending Church Every Sunday. Is It Such A Big Sin? / I Have Lost My Zeal For Attending Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by TundeKorede: 9:03am On Oct 27, 2019
We do things with different motives. It may be with good or ulterior motive. While some people go to church purposely to pray and hear God’s Word. Some people attend Church with unscriptural reasons.

In this article, I will highlight various wrong reasons why people attend church. And I’m believing God that they will change after reading this piece.

Also, every minister of the gospel must bear in mind that as they stand on the pulpit to minister.

It is not everyone that has come to receive blessings from the Lord. People come to God’s gathering for different reasons.

This article is written due to my few years of practical involvement in pastoral work. Being a young pastor, I have experienced a lot of things as regards Church members.

You may find it hard to believe this; Do you know there are some members who will come to your fellowship just to make you happy as a pastor?

Maybe you’ve been inviting them for a long time. So, they will just decide within themselves and say that; “Let me make this man happy today by attending Church.”

Honestly, this is not supposed to be. There are better reasons for coming to God’s Presence.

This and many other reasons are highlighted below.

THE REASONS ARE LISTED BELOW:

• In Church To Attack The Minister Of God

Matthew 26:21
[21]And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

Among the disciples, Judas was there seeking an opportunity to hand Jesus over to the Chief Priest ( Matthew 26:16).

So, there are people who attend meetings basically to harm the man of God spiritually or physically. There are still more Judases in Church of Christ today.

Bear in mind that there are agents of darkness seeking every means
to harm you as you minister.

These people will pretend as if they are there to help the ministry whereas, they have come to wound the pastor and wreck his ministry.

They will attend virtually all the church programmes, pretending to be fervent but they have hidden agenda they want to execute.

May they not have their way into your life in Jesus name.

Click To Read: Five Things That God’s Anointing Cannot Do

• In Church To Get Connected
Acts 8:18
[18]And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money.

Simon the sorcerer attended the meeting where Apostle Peter ministered.

But he had one thought in mind. He wanted to buy God’s power that God had given Peter.

In other words, we can infer that he attended that meeting for connection into the place of power in a wrong way.

Truthfully, some people go to church in order to get connected to people in high position.

They want those people to see them. These people hardly listen to sermon and they are less concerned about ministrations.

There are still more people today who attend your meetings in order to see one billionaire who will help them get a job. This reason is not right.

• Only To Overcome Challenges
They are inconsistent. Hardly can they join any group in Church. They are not committed in any way. As they will only show up only when things have gone wrong in their lives.

Believers like this see Church as a place one need to attend in the time of trouble.

For instance, If they are in need of money and you give them money. They won’t come to the place of worship again until they exhaust that money. Are you not like these people?

Why You Still Need To Attend A Church

Some people see the church as a hospital. These kind of people come to church only when they have been battered by the devil.

And they stop coming once they receive healing. They hardly go to church when they are strong and okay.

The Bible says concerning the early Church that;

Acts 2:46
[46]And they, continuing DAILY with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

They came together daily. Not once in a while but daily. That is how a good Christian should attend a believers meeting. Be consistent.

• Attending Church Just Because Of The Pastor
Acts 13:42
[42]And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

Acts 13:44
[44]And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

After Paul preached in Pisidian Antioch. The people got fascinated with what they heard and wanted to hear more.

More so, in the next Sabbath, the whole city gathered to hear Paul. This had never been recorded before Paul preached there. That the whole city gathered to hear one man.

However, we can say, those people came out massively to hear God’s Word from the mouth of Paul.

Some come to church because they love the way the pastor preaches and virtually everything the pastor does.

They always anticipate the time
the pastor will mount the pulpit and preach. However, this kind of
people leave the church once the pastor they love has been transferred.

It is not advisable for you to attend a Church because of a particular Pastor because once he fails into sin. You will be discouraged.

History Of The Church

• To Showcase New Clothes[/]
1 Timothy 2:9
[9]In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

Some people come to church in order to showcase the new dresses/clothes they have just bought.

They want people to see that they are also beautiful and good looking.

These people only attend church once in a while when they have new dress to show to people in church.

Church is not a Fashion Parade Show. You are in Church to meet with the Lord not man.

[b]• To Charge

This happens wherever there is poor power supply, especially in Nigeria.

Sadly, some people go to church because they want to charge their gadgets.

You will not see them around when their phones are fully charged but they will suddenly show up in church whenever they have flat batteries.

These people would focus their
attention on the phones they are charging, they are less concerned with the message the pastor is preaching.

Good Heart
• To Serve God
There are believers who come to church basically to serve the Lord and to genuinely contribute to the progress of the ministry.

They see the ministry as own their life. The can do almost everything to see that God’s work is progressive.

They don’t come because of a specific man/woman of God. Their aim is to genuinely fund and support the ministry.

May you not lack such people in your ministry.

May the Lord change the heart of people in order to attend church
with right reasons.

Source: http://www.tundekorede.com/wrong-reasons-for-attending-church/

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by Nature12: 9:06am On Oct 27, 2019
True exactly what most naija guys do

5 Likes

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by nlPoster: 9:21am On Oct 27, 2019
I'm ok with people dressing well for church.

Take time to assess your dressing and make sure your appearance would pass the smell test.

And no, you dont have to be rich to dress neatly, simple dressing can also be impressive.

We hear so many complaints about ladies' dressing, it's better if your dressing evokes compliments and confidence rather than ungodliness and complaining.

So OP be careful how you complain about people dressing well for church.

Note: my reference is Nigerian churches, we place emphasis on how people dress for church or other social gatherings.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by hopefulLandlord: 9:26am On Oct 27, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 27, 2019
Church
Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 27, 2019
Las las.. you aren't God, you might think you know what's right and wrong but you still don't .. what you wrote is YOUR OPINION SOLELY.

10 Likes

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by ibrutex(m): 9:27am On Oct 27, 2019
stop going because of miracle....

3 Likes

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by AlphaStyles(m): 9:28am On Oct 27, 2019
To charge grin
NEPA eeh

3 Likes

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by TheMainMan: 9:28am On Oct 27, 2019
I thought 5&6 won't be there
Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by samcus(m): 9:29am On Oct 27, 2019
Men Are The Most completed Creatures I Have Ever Seen, No Make-up Yet They Attract Women Be Proud Of Yourselves Kings

13 Likes

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by helinues: 9:29am On Oct 27, 2019
God is everywhere they say

" If what you believed on is not working for you,, it is better you have a change of mind"
Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by Aryastarks(f): 9:30am On Oct 27, 2019

4 Likes

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by thesicilian: 9:30am On Oct 27, 2019
I used to bring extension box to church in those days to charge phones, because of that there was a seat permanently reserved for me near the wall socket by my fellow partners-in-crime.

1 Like

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by nlPoster: 9:30am On Oct 27, 2019
thanta:
Las las.. you aren't God, you might think you know what's right and wrong but you still don't .. what you wrote is YOUR OPINION SOLELY.

They dont know that.
Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by Sheriman(m): 9:30am On Oct 27, 2019
Some are looking for Quick Miracle bunch of Confused Christians... This are the set of people attending church mostly in Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by Wealthoptulent(m): 9:30am On Oct 27, 2019
9ja which way?
For charging of phone, guess CHURCH giving back to the SOCIETIES !

1 Like

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by Logic007: 9:31am On Oct 27, 2019
grin

Charging phone in church. grin grin

Wetin man no go see?

This means that it is high time that pastors start taking action and take these politicians to task. The pastors should challenge these politicians to provide amenities for the people.

It is not only collecting tithes from politicians.
Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by Observer007(m): 9:32am On Oct 27, 2019
Going to church because you want to be seen to have gone, or to fulfill your 'sunday duties'.

3 Likes

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by Machinegun91(m): 9:32am On Oct 27, 2019
7. Attending Church for free feeding. 8. Attending Church to get more girl friends.

3 Likes

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by KKKWHITE(m): 9:33am On Oct 27, 2019
The church is too corrupted Christians has missed it God is found everywhere not just in the church the men of God has deceived his gullible members that attending church regularly is a guarantee ticket to Heaven even when they are still living in sin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by nlPoster: 9:33am On Oct 27, 2019
I would rather hear complaints that someone's dressing in church is too chic, than complaints about how their dressing is causing unholiness, etc.
Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by airminem(f): 9:34am On Oct 27, 2019
samcus:
Men Are The Most completed Creatures I Have Ever Seen, No Make-up
Yet They Attract Women
Be Proud Of Yourselves Kings
Blah blah blah. Is it ur own body ni?
Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by tiswell(m): 9:34am On Oct 27, 2019
Some go to church for possible hook ups.Mainly broke guys with low self esteem worth and evening newspaper ladies. sad undecided

1 Like

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by PrimadonnaO(f): 9:38am On Oct 27, 2019
Sundays are even the days I do the less. The simplest dress I can find, just lipstick or no makeup at all. If I’m all dressed up, then there’s another reason behind it.

I mean, service lasts for just an hour and thirty minutes. You get all dressed up and you start looking for who will notice you... or if there’s anyone better dressed. That’s how you end up taking your mind off worshipping and devoting that time to God.

6 Likes

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by dayveed1(m): 9:39am On Oct 27, 2019
I go to church only when I feel really good about myself or I have a dope dress I feel like flaunting.. Church is overrated. I don't remember attending any fellowship during school days. Born and raised in a Christian family. Probably the way mom was so strict about church made me careless about it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 27, 2019
airminem:
Blah blah blah. Is it ur own body ni?

Mehn! See how that woman take handle the man gbola like Handbrake shocked

1 Like

Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by Truefaith: 9:40am On Oct 27, 2019
Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by nwamabo247(m): 9:41am On Oct 27, 2019
many are just church gower@please forgive me if i can help myself i wont be begging for help.PLEASE nairalanders my name is celestine nwankwo 28YRS OLD from ugwueme awgu L.G.A. enugu stat For almost 12yrs now i have been down with with tetraplegic spinal cord injure.no source of income because my fingers are partialy afected i have been living on family support especially my ageing mother who has been nursing me at home for all this while. but right now things are very very difficut for me and my mother who is also diabetic expecially feeding and litle medications,buying of catheters and health care needs.please i need your help in any way posible no matter how small it will make a diffrence and i am also looking for a goverment or N G O rehabilitation center for the disables that can acept my kind condition. thanks and GOD BLESS. more details.see my signature below
Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by pahoehoe: 9:42am On Oct 27, 2019
Almost all babes attend churches to look for guys that will ask them out. Click on the first link on my signature to master how to make millions of naira from export business.
Re: Six Wrong Reasons For Attending Church by Dicktionary: 9:42am On Oct 27, 2019
There is a Very thin Line between going to a Bet 9ja Shop and a Christian Sunday Market Center this days, were you only encounter people with different kinds of Locura, more Wahnsinn and high grade Nutso. Smh

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Daddy Freeze To Start Preaching On TV Against Tithing (Video) / Faith Oyedepo Celebrates Her 61st Birthday Today / "Wickedness Must Die" Mountain Of Fire Ministries Poster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.