Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? (15412 Views)

Wife Of Ex-akwa Ibom Military Governor Evicts Step-children From Family House / Should I Renovate Our Family House? / Can You Marry A Man Who Lives In His Family House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by victorazyvictor(m): 7:21am On Oct 28, 2019
jeff1607:

got about 5 of those , it's about 8 generations old (has to be transferred from parent to child), plus coweries, old coins with holes in it(pennies), aluminum plates, clocks ,beds etc

Where are they? No pic? grin
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by DADDY2or3FISHES: 7:30am On Oct 28, 2019
It's a wall clock and funny enough it's still working and it doesn't get spoilt unlike the ones they make nowadays

2 Likes

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by Offpoint: 7:31am On Oct 28, 2019
forlexxy:

My own is funny .. I'm not really sure if this item was existing before I was born, but all I know is ever since I knew myself, (around 4 years old) this thing has been alive and funny enough it's something that can be exhausted....

That item is A THREAD.. THREAD FOR SEWING CLOTH. I'm swear down, I'm dead serious.. And I'm already 20yrs now
Lol, I bet you don use am patch your uniform beforegrin
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by 1stbest(m): 7:42am On Oct 28, 2019
Powersurge:

I am very far from her o. But whenever I see her again,I must have a picture of that thing or probably get it from her.
okay , quote me when you did
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by Coldie(m): 7:50am On Oct 28, 2019
In my family house my father attended Festac of 1977 and bought the Festac mask.

The mask was thrown away but I kept it in my room in my family house.

I think its over 40years old

4 Likes

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by pomide(m): 7:54am On Oct 28, 2019
One Old Vinyl Player Deck. Kai, Thank God for technology.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by htweet(m): 8:46am On Oct 28, 2019
jeff1607:

got about 5 of those , it's about 8 generations old (has to be transferred from parent to child), plus coweries, old coins with holes in it(pennies), aluminum plates, clocks ,beds etc

Ran into an Aboki around Isolo about a month ago buying these stuffs, the moment I mentioned this particular bead his interest was flickered so much so that, he began to ask me varieties of questions: Do i presently have it in my possession? Does my type has holes made by signs of age? What color it was? blah blah blah...at last I got to realize this Aboki was ready to buy at 200k! Mind you he called the prize and asked how much I wanna sell afterwards!! From that day, I've been counting days till December when I'll go Ondo for vac, at least to remove just a handful and see what its worth. Ever since too, Aboki has been calling to familiarize on a weekly basis! grin
Saying all these so that you know what you have in your possession too is a jewel, sorry treasure trove!! If you intend to sell and don't know how to go about it, just lemme know. This my Aboki will jump for joy if I link you up! gringrin

2 Likes

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by susiivy: 9:07am On Oct 28, 2019
htweet:

Ran into an Aboki around Isolo about a month ago buying these stuffs, the moment I mentioned this particular bead his interest was flickered so much so that, he began to ask me varieties of questions: Do i presently have it in my possession? Does my type has holes made by signs of age? What color it was? blah blah blah...at last I got to realize this Aboki was ready to buy at 200k! Mind you he called the prize and asked how much I wanna sell afterwards!! From that day, I've been counting days till December when I'll go Ondo for vac, at least to remove just a handful and see what its worth. Ever since too, Aboki has been calling to familiarize on a weekly basis! grin
Saying all these so that you know what you have in your possession too is a jewel, sorry treasure trove!! If you intend to sell and don't know how to go about it, just lemme know. This my Aboki will jump for joy if I link you up! gringrin

He'll jump for joy cause his gaining more. A piece is measured in grams just like gold.

1 Like

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by susiivy: 9:11am On Oct 28, 2019
htweet:
A local bead worn by my great grandpa. It was said to be his exact length size, such that when he wears it, it touches the ground. grin

If it's the known coral beads. Then your family has preseverd wealth.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by xcelentattitude(m): 9:11am On Oct 28, 2019
Many things:
1. The fridge(bought for #11 something kobo...and it still works)
2. The house itself, built over 45 years ago... The last time I tried driving a nail into it, it was though as hell.
3. The fan, the doors, the glass panes....like I said many things.

Here's the picture of the house.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by Buffalo2(m): 9:27am On Oct 28, 2019
One sponge case and an aluminum cup. They were bought in 1978
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by jeff1607(m): 9:36am On Oct 28, 2019
htweet:

just as u said the ones that have holes(my great grandma once said these type are usually left in termite mounds after they are made ,hence the holes) and the emerald stone brown type has alot of value, people has brought as high as 400k to buy but can't sell them ,they are priceless,

as u sell remember to keep for your kids as a sort of heirloom .

these are over 8 generations old, the ones with plenty of holes are kept by the females from where I come from ( they transfer these to their daughters)

3 Likes

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by htweet(m): 9:52am On Oct 28, 2019
susiivy:

He'll jump for joy cause his gaining more. A piece is measured in grams just like gold.
Are you serious? You mean its measured in grams?!! Hahaha...thanks for the info. I just wish I could snap a picture and upload right now, but like I said its in faraway Ondo state.

1 Like

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by htweet(m): 10:01am On Oct 28, 2019
susiivy:

If it's the known coral beads. Then your family has preseverd wealth.
I don't know which is coral bead by the way, but it never meant anything to anyone order my mom especially myself. But now, you've spurred too many fantasies in my mind beyond your imagination. grin
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by Nobody: 10:07am On Oct 28, 2019
osemoses69:
39 years old fan

Until very recently, we used to have a fan in our family house that was older than me - meaning it was older than 37.

Our family house itself was built in 1958, so it's 61 years old.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by susiivy: 10:09am On Oct 28, 2019
htweet:

I don't know which is coral bead by the way, but it never meant anything to anyone order my mom especially myself. But now, you've spurred too many fantasies in my mind beyond your imagination. grin

grin don't be too excited.
That's why I wrote if it's the known one. You can Google coral beads

1 Like

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by jeff1607(m): 10:13am On Oct 28, 2019
victorazyvictor:

Where are they? No pic? grin

1 Like

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by Homeboiy: 10:20am On Oct 28, 2019
Majikmoment:

Omg!, are you from nsukka ? smiley

U have seen it from my comment nah

Lol

1 Like

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by greatbrian(m): 10:21am On Oct 28, 2019
A mat. Mum said my great grandfather own it and they can't even date the age of the mat.

1 Like

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by sharena(m): 11:18am On Oct 28, 2019
MY FATHER STILL HAS HIS BLACK AND WHITE TELEVISION IN HIS ROOM OOO, ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN I GO VISIT THEM EHN I GO SELL AM TO SCRAP BUYERS BECAUSE MY FATHER NOR DEY SHAKE BODY TO DO AWAY WITH THE TV, NOT AS IF THE TV IS EVEN WORKING SELF
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by SolarEdge: 11:51am On Oct 28, 2019
What a question.. I'm coming. Let me go and check
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by bukatyne(f): 12:04pm On Oct 28, 2019
In my matrimonial home,

A bead I made for myself on my 12th birthday.

It is 19yrs old.
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by bukatyne(f): 12:04pm On Oct 28, 2019
On my matrimonial home,

A bead I made for myself on my 12th birthday.

It is 19yrs old.
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by XwhY(m): 1:45pm On Oct 28, 2019
Offpoint:
We all have that one thing we all grow up to meet in our families... Share yours.

Mine is electronic iron and wooden wall clock.
Mom says the iron is the first thing my dad bought with his first salary, and that was 4 years before they meet.

Till date old the shît is still working like it was made yesterday, best iron I've ever used.
You must use with caution or you'll set your clothes on fire in less than a minute.

Our shelve
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by Aidejay(m): 2:05pm On Oct 28, 2019
A 153 year old metal container....very strong (I call it akpoti eri)
How do I know it's 153 years old?
Cause engraved on the bottom are the manufacturer name and date of manufacture 1863

3 Likes

Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by Slimsly100(f): 2:12pm On Oct 28, 2019
Grandfather's Clock.

And: the house itself.(it's over 50yrs)
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by Tellemall: 5:15pm On Oct 28, 2019
jeff1607:

just as u said the ones that have holes(my great grandma once said these type are usually left in termite mounds after they are made ,hence the holes) and the emerald stone brown type has alot of value, people has brought as high as 400k to buy but can't sell them ,they are priceless,

as u sell remember to keep for your kids as a sort of heirloom .

these are over 8 generations old, the ones with plenty of holes are kept by the females from where I come from ( they transfer these to their daughters)
Very interesting. What tribe are they for, and what is their ceremonial purpose? Where are the beads sourced from? So many wonderful old things you have there.
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by Tellemall: 5:17pm On Oct 28, 2019
[quote author=jeff1607 post=83527329][/quote]
What are these coins used for? What is their origin? Were they used to pay bride prices? Or simply as gifts?
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by jeff1607(m): 5:21pm On Oct 28, 2019
Tellemall:

What are these coins used for? What is their origin? Were they used to pay bride prices? Or simply as gifts?

I think they were used long before Nigeria's Independence
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by jeff1607(m): 5:22pm On Oct 28, 2019
Tellemall:

Very interesting. What tribe are they for, and what is their ceremonial purpose? Where are the beads sourced from? So many wonderful old things you have there.

Don't know where there sourced from, but they are usually handed down to younger generations (offsprings) and also used for ceremonies
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by Tellemall: 5:41pm On Oct 28, 2019
jeff1607:

Don't know where there sourced from, but they are usually handed down to younger generations (offsprings) and also used for ceremonies

Wow. Is there any particular type of family who owns it, for instance descendants of any common ancestor such as a king?

Also, do you think it is a culture that will be passed down through your family without Western influence on the nature of such things?
Re: What's The Oldest Thing In Your Family House? by Tellemall: 5:42pm On Oct 28, 2019
jeff1607:

I think they were used long before Nigeria's Independence

Very interesting. Do you think they were locally made or with development/processes brought along by the colonials? I hope you will not mind donating them to a museum one day when future Nigerians will decide to appreciate their cultures more .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Feel So Bad For Slapping My Wife This Morning / What's The Best Advice Your Parents Ever Gave You? / British Family Considering Move To Nigeria. Advice Welcomed :)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.