Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,772 members, 7,798,580 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:23 AM

Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News (15933 Views)

COVID-19: Nine Dangerous African Countries You Must Avoid Right Now - PM News / Nigeria Medical Association Explains Why Doctors Are Leaving The Country / My Thoughts About Nigeria Medical Doctors. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by Cmanforall: 4:08am On Oct 29, 2019
busomma:

Here in America b4 u get into medical school u must've obtained a bachelor's degree mostly in science which takes 5yrs after which u go into medical school for another 6yrs,internship inclusive. Simple math gives u the number of yrs.
Thanks for ur sympathy though.
Not all the bachelor programs before medicine take 5 years.
Stop confusing people!

1 Like

Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by madjune(m): 4:45am On Oct 29, 2019
Simply put, Nigerian doctors are killers.
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by tonididdy(m): 4:51am On Oct 29, 2019
BafanaBafana:
I stopped taking my problems to doctors when I saw a doctor googling the symptoms I told her.
Me sef get smart phone and data abeg.
Jesus
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by tonididdy(m): 5:07am On Oct 29, 2019
firstly, no sector of this country is growing unless for the entertainment sector.

everyone saying Nigerian Doctors are doing well overseas... I have being overseas and am yet to meet any Nigerian doctors on the streets or in a few Hospitals I have visited. you think a Nigerian Doctor will be shipped abroad and be given a head office ASAP, no a lot of work and steps goes into acquiring that privilege. most of this "doing very well" tagged everywhere is in terms of character (personality), if you are black, well behaved and devoted to your job post, the white man praises you a lot... Nigerians on the other hand bring it home and say, Nigerians are doing very well abroad.

in a system were a secondary school leaver goes to acquire 6months to 1year training of pre-medicine and tag themselves nurses and next thing they have a pharmaceutical shop, what do you expect.

in fact the country is Over... Nigeria is no longer existing as a country but more like a scavenging environment. people picking on left over crumbs.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by Kluez(m): 5:17am On Oct 29, 2019
Naija medical attentions and diagnostics na jinx.. No reason am
.pray we no fall into wrong hands claiming to be Doc's

1 Like

Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by Nnemuka(f): 5:32am On Oct 29, 2019
Nigerian medical doctors are more interested in the title more than saving lives.
quacks everywhere with private clinics killing people on a daily basis.

A story was told of a man who sold his properties so he can travel to india for a surgery after a Nigerian hospital told him during a scan that he had a cockroach in his chest.

well he finally went to india only to discover that the cockroach was in the scanning machine not his chest.
If you have money, be like your president, go to the end of the world if you can afford it for proper medical attention.
The ones here are just parading around claiming doctors when they are full time hired killers.
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by ultron12345: 5:42am On Oct 29, 2019
busomma:

Here in America b4 u get into medical school u must've obtained a bachelor's degree mostly in science which takes 5yrs after which u go into medical school for another 6yrs,internship inclusive. Simple math gives u the number of yrs.

Would you keep kwayet?
In the American system, you get a first degree in any course usually after 4 years and then go ahead to study medicine for 4 years. That's 8 years, with 2 degree, only 4 was actually spent studying medicine. After which, the doctor can choose to specialize which can take from 5-7 years.

In the system practiced in the UK (which Nigeria takes after), you go into a 6-year medicine programme straight from secondary school. If you have a previous degree or A-levels, it is reduced to 5-years (like Direct Entry). Some universities in the UK are even planning to reduce their medicine programmes to 5 years. After all this, the doctor can then choose to specialize which also ranges from 5-7years.

Nigeria practices the UK system.
I wonder why these Nigerian Doctors we call incompetent are always being rushed by foreign countries.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by xelly: 5:45am On Oct 29, 2019
Long tie and title has replaced professionalism. Doctors prefer to do the work of other health care providers and refer to them as quacks. You aren't good in the field you studied and you will pock nose into another area someone studied for years.

Those that studied administration in school can't manage hospitals but those that studied medicine are seen doing administrative functions and one will ask why we aren't getting it right.

Nigeria is a dumbass country.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by anonimi: 5:59am On Oct 29, 2019
RichDad1:
Most competent medical practitioners are finding their ways outside this country on a daily basis.
What we have now are mostly inexperienced doctors that have replaced their stethoscope with mobile Phones.

Because your barawo bubu failed to fix the issues as he promised, notably comparative pay to political office holders, starting from himself

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4257139_mumuhamadu_jpeg8f5b75be4e14a3d41f9327e6532cd03c

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2829596_img6325197050325_jpeg_jpeg61db8b350e65ada0da8fdf4018fb03e4

1 Like

Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by RichDad1(m): 6:04am On Oct 29, 2019
anonimi:

Because your barawo bubu failed to fix the issues as he promised, notably comparative pay to political office holders, starting from himself

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4257139_mumuhamadu_jpeg8f5b75be4e14a3d41f9327e6532cd03c

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2829596_img6325197050325_jpeg_jpeg61db8b350e65ada0da8fdf4018fb03e4
So doctors start emigrating from Nigeria since Buhari became President ?
Sometimes I wonder how you lot reason.
Must everything be politicized? undecided
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by anonimi: 6:19am On Oct 29, 2019
RichDad1:
So doctors start emigrating from Nigeria since Buhari became President ?
Sometimes I wonder how you lot reason.
Must everything be politicized? undecided

Do you understand what it means to fix an issue/problem?
Is it that the problem existed before hence the need to fix it?
Meanwhile, please note that everything is about politics- government policies affecting every aspect of life.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by tollyboy5(m): 6:34am On Oct 29, 2019
ikorodureporta:
Some of them do it just to make more money. Imagine sending someone for x-ray for no good reason, not even caring of the future side effects
last semester a friend of ours died of appendix when he was earlier diagnosed of malaria and was been giving malaria injection severally before he was referred and died.
my dept protested @ the sch health center but as you knw na. nothing was done by the sch we even had to seat 4 our exam the next day.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by anonimi: 6:43am On Oct 29, 2019
ikorodureporta:
Some of them do it just to make more money. Imagine sending someone for x-ray for no good reason, not even caring of the future side effects

Like most of us Nigerians in our different places of work and to our own personal persons whom we hail to no end?

1 Like

Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by partnerbizn3(f): 6:47am On Oct 29, 2019
busomma:
My family suffered from one of these doctors of death March 22nd of this year when my younger sister died of what may hv been avoidable death. When my sister got sick she was first diagnosed with gastric ulcer, then twisted intestines, then enlarged heart,then kidney failure, and finally stomach cancer. All these took about 7 months of carrying out one test after another followed by prescription & treatment for each supposedly ailment at an alarming cost both financially & emotionally to the family. My sister finally succumbed to her illness leaving behind 3 young boys & devastated family. Our hospitals are just a place where people go to die not places to get well. How can Nigerian doctors know what they're doing when it takes just 5yrs to go through medical school that don't even hv up to date medical textbooks not to talk of medical equipment that will aid in diagnosing sicknesses. In America it takes about 11yrs to qualify as a medical doctor & more yrs of practice to fo into a specialized field. In Nigeria all doctors cures every sicknesses.

We use the Uk system to study.
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by anselm791(m): 7:34am On Oct 29, 2019
shebi the good doctors are in the abroad, why not go see them there na, oh yeah, you are POOR, but you want the best, are you not a thief?
las las, we will fall sick and must have to visit the hospital, for your own benefit, keep the hate at home, and put your life in God's hand.
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by JhyMedex: 8:30am On Oct 29, 2019
RichDad1:
Most competent medical practitioners are finding their ways outside this country on a daily basis.
What we have now are mostly inexperienced doctors that have replaced their stethoscope with mobile Phones.
Yea..Nigerian doctors are the worst..

Given the deplorable conditions they work in how comes they aint making ground-breaking discoveries in medicine and surgery...
how about you begin patronising herbalist then..
I'm sure you'll get ypur money's worth..grin
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by Dextre(m): 9:37am On Oct 29, 2019
busomma:

But the 5years is no medical school,nor does it give you any medical experience. It's no different from doing biochemistry first here in naija and going to medical schl afta. At the end of the day,it only still take 6years to become a doctor cos medical schl is 6years.
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by eaglechild: 11:24am On Oct 29, 2019
Wrong diagnosis has become a major and lingering crisis afflicting Nigeria’s medical sector. No wonder, those who could afford it, including the nation’s president and the political leaders, whenever they fall ill, dust their passports and head to Europe, America, Middle East and Asia to seek help.

Absolute junk reportage.
Trying to justify politicians traveling outside to seek medical care.
Do you know what is required to make a diagnosis?

How many government hospitals have a functional up to date CT scan? I mean 64 or 128 slices
How many functional MRI scanners 1.5T
How many fluoroscopy machines
How many nuclear imaging centers
How many can do frozen slices
How many auroanalizers?
How many theatre c arms?

You take off and run to a country with all the facilities and think diagnosis is by magic?
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by bobntu: 1:46pm On Oct 29, 2019
I had wanted to refrain from commenting on this. But in order not to allow people perpetuate ignorance, I submit as follows:
1. Misdiagnosis is not peculiar to Nigeria. It happens in EVERY country of the world.
2. The percentage of clinicians culpable is very low
3. Doctors are not magicians. The patient's ability to communicate effectively, without hiding useful information or exaggerating symptoms will go a long way in achieving quick diagnosis.
4. A doctor can make an initial diagnosis and later change it based on empirical evidence that follows afterwards. it is not a crime, so long as the doctor follows due process in arriving at or changing the diagnosis.
5. A doctor's diagnosis is often a function of the state of the patient at time of presentation, in addition to newer facts that may have emerged from appropriate investigations. It is therefore not out of place for a diagnosis to sometimes change either with the same doctor, or by the time the patient moves to another doctor.
6. Economic factors grossly limit the extent to which doctors practicing in resource-poor countries can go with investigations. They therefore focus on most common likely causes within the environment before progressing to more expensive investigations if the patient does not respond to initial therapy. For instance, how many regular Nigerians can afford to pay for a CT- Scan just for 'simple headache'? Truth is that whereas the headache might most likely not be of any significant consequence, it sometimes might call for SERIOUS concern.
7. Without doubt, cases of poor patient care and nasty attitude by some hospital workers abound. But to generalize and label Nigerian doctors as incompetent is the height of IGNORANCE!
8. Indeed, despite all the challenges that exist, well over 90% of really sick Nigerians rely on these 'local doctors' for their survival. How many regular Nigerians can afford 'abroad' treatment?
9. Definitely, medical tourism is a worldwide phenomenon. Those who genuinely need it, have to go for it; especially for terminally ill persons that may require highly skilled care in any part of the world. Patients could move from US to Israel, or Germany and vice versa. Citizens of those western nations where healthcare is very expensive, occasionally resort to countries with cheaper options.
10. There are very wealthy individuals that will travel abroad to treat catarrh, for the same reasons they would only wear designer shoes from Italy, or even send their clothes from Nigeria to UK for dry cleaning. I am not even casting any aspersions on these ones as it is called CHOICE (unless they are taking the fund from taxpayers).
11. Funny enough, some people that have commented on this post will usually end up at roadside chemists and claim they've seen 'doctor'.
12. Lets be guided please.
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by Creativebae(f): 3:54pm On Oct 29, 2019
Humm
Am a living witness. After battling so many symptoms and several test, i was told to go for echocardiography text and was diagnosed of pericardiatis with effusion. Was placed on drugs prepping for operation. Few weeks to the operation i was asked to discontinue the drugs because their machine was malfunctioning and almost everyone that came for the test got the same result i had. I was referred to another lab to re do the test. Ladies and gentlemen there was no pericardiatis...
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by busomma: 4:53pm On Oct 29, 2019
Cmanforall:

Not all the bachelor programs before medicine take 5 years.
Stop confusing people!

Read my write up carefully. I said bachelor in science. Name one science degree that's less than 5yrs. Social sciences & humanities is 4yrs. I hv been through the system so I know what I'm talking about. There's nothing confusing in it. Thank u.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 29, 2019
Sapiosexuality:
Private with house officers is nonsense. Private with that no referral policy is a death trap.
Not all private.
The ones our politicians frequent has referral policy.

House officers started somewhere. No hospital can do without them. U crawl befor u walk. Applicable to all works of life.
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by ctex4real(m): 5:53pm On Oct 29, 2019
Is this the Dexter I know? John shocked
Dextre:
Everyone outchea just shouting medical doctor this medical doctor that... How come these medical doctors excel in other countries. The problem is the system not solely the medical doctors. Some doctors do 48hrs of call in hospitals,do you have any idea what that even is,48hrs of endless work and u expect him not to misdiagnose.
We need to fix our system first. The experiences some people wrote here that they had are things that could have been picked at first visit if only we had standard hospitals and functioning equipments. I have been to a general hospital that told me there wasn't gloves to treat patient,which day person no go die for dat kind place. See ehn, our problem pass doctors o
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by Dextre(m): 1:40am On Oct 30, 2019
ctex4real:
Is this the Dexter I know? John shocked

Nah bro
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by tck2000(m): 9:39pm On Oct 30, 2019
I kind of think that doctors are overworked.
Re: Doctors Of Death: Nigeria's Medical Misdiagnosis Crisis - PM News by Ilekokonit: 8:44pm On Dec 01, 2019
ikorodureporta:
Certainly, something is wrong with Nigerian doctors such that they keep missing the goal post in diagnosing their patients’ ailments.

20% of my Medical School class at UI were cheating to pass MB exams and an Ashawo arrested crawling the streets of Abuja for customers turned out to be a Medical Doctor.

Moral of the story is to always do your own research on Google before rushing to a Doctor and don't believe that all Doctors passed their exams on merit.

When 2 final year medical students are found on a guys bed selling their bodies for money, it tells you the lengths they will go to to become Doctors even if they become half baked Doctors.

Even some of my class mates at UI whose parent(s) were Professors of medicine had access to the exam questions days before the real exam. They know themselves.

2 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Alleviate Menstrual Cramps With Yoga Exercises [PICTURES And VIDEO] / Doctor Saves Woman Who Had Asthma Attack On A Flight From Lagos To Kano / Differentiating Between Typhoid And Malaria Fever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.