Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,413 members, 7,800,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:07 AM

Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% (15095 Views)

Air Ticket Prices Rise By 34.06% – NBS / FG To Inaugurate Kano-Kaduna Railway December 2022 / Abuja-kaduna Train Schedule (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by prof2007: 6:42am On Oct 29, 2019
The inscurity on the Abuja-Kaduna road has forced thousands of passengers to start using the train and raised the passenger volume on the railway by 270%. According to the Federal Government, the passenger traffic on the Abuja-Kaduna rail service has risen to 3,700 daily from its carrying capacity of 1,000 people.

The government also announced plans to commence a trial run of trains on the Lagos-Ibadan railway service in December and would be providing free rides to passengers.

The Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, said on Monday that the increase in the Abuja-Kaduna railway service was due to the level of insecurity on the Abuja-Kaduna road. The minister noted that the high passenger volume on the route was why thousands of passengers were often found standing on the coaches while travelling, but noted that more coaches would soon be added on the route.

Amaechi said, “The reason we allowed standing on the Abuja-Kaduna train is the insecurity that has made it unbearable to insist on sitting. But once we get the next 10 coaches we are sending to Abuja-Kaduna, the situation where passengers stand inside our coaches will be reduced. Although it will not solve the problem of the 3,700 passengers, at least it will reduce the number of those who stand.”

He added, “The actual number of passengers that the service can take for the sitting capacity is about 1,000 plus, but we are carrying 3,700 people daily. So if you add 10 coaches of 84 passengers per coach, you will know that we are under pressure. We know that when the coaches come and we make it more regular the pressure will be reduced.”

Amaechi also noted that on November 8, 2019, the Federal Government would lay the foundation for the Kajola factory in Ogun State where locomotives, wagons and coaches would be constructed by Chinese firms at no cost to Nigeria.

On the trail run on the new Lagos-Ibadan rail, the minister said, “Our target is to start by November 30 this year, specifically from Ebute-Meta in Lagos to Ibadan in Oyo State.” He urged the contractor, China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation, to complete the minor stations on the Lagos-Ibadan railway before November 25.

“If I spend sleepless nights to sign approvals for you, I don’t want to hear you use rain as an excuse why you can’t deliver your job as engineers,” the minister told the CCECC officials.

Amaechi said more coaches would be deployed on the Lagos-Ibadan route before Christmas, adding that he would ensure that the free ride would commence during the Yuletide.

“I will struggle to make sure that before Christmas it happens,” he stated.

SOURCE: https://punchng.com/insecurity-abuja-kaduna-railway-passengers-rise-by-270/

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 29, 2019
Nobody want dir

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by NwaOhafia: 7:16am On Oct 29, 2019
Even generals from NDA doesn't use Abuja - Kaduna highway let alone a common man. Everybody is feeling the heat.. upper level coming up ²00³ grin cheesy

21 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by 3rdavefarms(m): 7:17am On Oct 29, 2019
Great one , the fear of Buhari boys on high way is the beginning of train wisdom grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by mcmbonu: 7:17am On Oct 29, 2019
Hit LIKE, If you didn't read the long article

35 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by Ewedegubbler: 7:17am On Oct 29, 2019
Ancient trains .. who cursed Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by Nobody: 7:17am On Oct 29, 2019
Was almost kidnapped there last month.
Four passengers were taken away from the bus parked next to the one I boarded and we were their next target. This took place in broad daylight. One of them stood by our bus shooting. It was the scariet experience I have ever had. I lost all hope of surviving mainly because of where I come from plus my religious affiliation. Those guys don't spare Christians at all. I was just saying my last prayer while the dude sitted close to me was already speaking in tongues. You can only imagine the scenario.
It was the former governor of Kogi state, Idris Wada who saved us that day. But for him, I would have been in the grave now.

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by 3rdavefarms(m): 7:18am On Oct 29, 2019
Ewedegubbler:

Show us your own modern train Ota aje

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by NOETHNICITY(m): 7:18am On Oct 29, 2019
Although, I despise PDP passionately but I think the credit for this really goes to GEJ

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by anonimi: 7:19am On Oct 29, 2019
Ewedegubbler:

Please point out to the ones produced by Nigerians like yourself.
How many technicians are produced in Nigeria to complement engineers who will design and supervise manufacturing/maintenance?
Thanks.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3444716_img20160215224419_jpeg3a9d404699eb823dbaa7a23a7e345c55

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by Generalwoodz(m): 7:20am On Oct 29, 2019
Amaechi dey try for Transportation

What will happen when the bandits start derailing trains cos I know they would've noticed a drop in business and their Oga lamenting of 'Bad market ' and they'd try getting smarter..

Running on train wont help. I fear derailment!

What are All the military bases in kaduna doing

It wont cost on the part of the government to flush these guy out

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by infogenius(m): 7:22am On Oct 29, 2019
If insecurity is not addressed quickly, I see kidnappers devising plans to hijack and kidnap even more people through the rails.

Amaechi should of necessity advice bubu to show more sensitivity to the insecurity and plight of people travelling
along that route.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by anonimi: 7:23am On Oct 29, 2019

3 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by xtianh(m): 7:23am On Oct 29, 2019
sad

The minister is also aware indirectly admitting of the high rate of insecurity in the land.

How do we solve the insecurity problem?

3 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by anonimi: 7:24am On Oct 29, 2019
NOETHNICITY:
Although, I despise PDP passionately but I think the credit for this really goes to GEJ

You are not alone. grin

Previous Govts Initiated ‘Most Of The Things This Administration Is Doing’ – Adesina

A majority of the projects the Muhammadu Buhari administration is working on was inherited from previous administrations, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity has said.

Mr Femi Adesina said this when he appeared on Channels Television’s special Independence anniversary programme on Sunday.

“Most of the things this administration is doing – 60 to 70 percent of them – were initiated by previous governments,” he said.

“That shows you that in the past a government will come and say ‘this is not our project’ And it will discard what was being done and start fresh ones.”

As a result, Mr Adesina said there are many half and quarter-completed abandoned projects.
But rather than abandon the project, he explained that the current administration will complete it.

An example is the Abuja-Kaduna rail project which the Presidential aide said was up to maybe 60 to 70 percent complete when the last administration left.

https://www.channelstv.com/2017/10/01/previous-govts-initiated-most-of-the-things-this-administration-is-doing-adesina/

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by BrutusOj(m): 7:25am On Oct 29, 2019
Railway that the rich have hijacked since. Everything that is good, they want to enjoy alone. You go there to board the train, you will here something like no ticket for now

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by helinues: 7:25am On Oct 29, 2019
So because of the Railway alternative, should our roads be abandoned because of security threats?
Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by anonimi: 7:26am On Oct 29, 2019
xtianh:
sad

The minister is also aware indirectly admitting of the high rate of insecurity in the land.

How do we solve the insecurity problem?

There is no insecurity in our country since 2015 when all criminals have been technically defeated and crushed. undecided shocked

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4184367_img20160901212519_jpeg78b79ce1d41276755a59631319a61753

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by SimonRose(m): 7:30am On Oct 29, 2019
Even the train is been attacked now
Gun shots on Sunday, I thought it will be bye bye oooooo, Thank God the train na bullet proof.

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by sunsewa16: 7:35am On Oct 29, 2019
Borrowing the words of his brother and enemy wike,if I will sign ur money under the rain,I see no reason u will not carry out the contract under the rain. grin grin grin
Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by tsfxtech(m): 7:36am On Oct 29, 2019
Everybody is scared...

You will agree with me that short videos engages potential customers more than mere text and images. Animate your business today and make more money
Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by ZombieTERROR: 7:37am On Oct 29, 2019
Insecurity in Nigeria?

I think it's fake news

Buhari has made the country safe

Zombies are chanting sai barber

3 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by Coldie(m): 7:38am On Oct 29, 2019
That means if they open up Lagos Ibadan rail line passengers no go be here.

More money
More jobs

I so love Nigeria
Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by FloxySmart(f): 7:39am On Oct 29, 2019
grin
Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by michru: 7:40am On Oct 29, 2019
Should the government now be happy that the insecurity on the road is going to make more for them on the rails?

This is sad.

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by gbagyiza: 7:41am On Oct 29, 2019
MEJOISLAND:
Was almost kidnapped there last month.
Four passengers were taken away from the bus parked next to the one I boarded and we were their next target. This took place in broad daylight. One of them stood by our bus shooting. It was the scariet experience I have ever had. I lost all hope of surviving mainly because of where I come from plus my religious affiliation. Those guys don't spare Christians at all.
It was former governor of Kogi state, Idris Wada who saved us that day. But for him, I would have been in the grave now.

Our government has failed us. They r not even a shame of dishing out this news. So, the government is even rejoicing n happy that Abuja road is down n rail way is booming. Kai, Nigeria good bye.

2 Likes

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by Nobody: 7:43am On Oct 29, 2019
What measures has the government taken to stop the insincerity?
My mind tells me that this kidnapping is staged so that people start using the railway.

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by FloxySmart(f): 7:45am On Oct 29, 2019
But why does it sound like there is only one locomotive operating in that region? Abi more than one train can’t ply on a rail? If they add 3 more locomotives with a passenger capacity of 1000 then I think all should be fine at least for now

1 Like

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by DTeekay(m): 7:48am On Oct 29, 2019
No train in the South-south where all the money is coming from. Which way Nigeria. Come and see Federal roads in the south-south you will weep.

Gaping holes in the middle of the road. Causing chronic loss of man hours thereby hampering smooth flow of goods and services, which negatively affects the economy.

But this is the only part of the country that gives the oil money to build railways and roads in other parts of the country.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270% by unity004(m): 7:51am On Oct 29, 2019
grin grin Na 9ja we dey oooh! Very so the kidnappers will migrate to the abuja-kaduna railways, trust me

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Commercial Bus Driver Ran Into Another Bus,Crashes With Nissan Car In Anambra(pi / 3m Nigerians Living Illegally In UK – Senate Committee / 8 Wrong Things Okada Riders In Lagos Always Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.