Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... (573 Views)

Ruling On Seeking Intercession From The Prophet (salallahu Alayhi Wasalam) / Drawing A Picture Of The Prophet, Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam / Wording Of The Tashahhud And Sending Blessings On The Prophet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... by Rashduct4luv(m): 11:38am On Oct 29, 2019
NB: Please kindly report/neglect anyone who invades the thread to type trash.

Evidence to send Blessings on the Prophet

Allah, may He be glorified, has instructed us to send both blessings and greeting of peace upon him, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allah sends His Salat (Graces, Honours, Blessings, Mercy, etc.) on the Prophet (Muhammad SAW) and also His angels too (ask Allah to bless and forgive him). O you who believe! Send your Salat on (ask Allah to bless) him (Muhammad SAW), and (you should) greet (salute) him with the Islamic way of greeting (salutation i.e. As-Salamu Alaikum)”
[al-Ahzaab 33:56].

How do we send Blessings on the Prophet?
With regard to the ideal way of sending blessings upon the master of mankind (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), there are a number of ways of doing that, which you can find in the book Sifat Salaat an-Nabi (sall-Allahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) by al-‘Allaamah al-Albaani (may Allah have mercy on him), p. 165 of the edition published by Maktabat al-Ma ‘aarif in Riyaadh [this book is available in English as The Prophet’s Prayer Described]. Among the soundest and most well-known of these ways are the two ways that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) taught his Companions (may Allah be pleased with them) when they asked him how they should send blessings upon him (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him). These two ways are as follows:

~1~
“Allaahumma salli ‘ala Muhammad wa ‘ala aali Muhammad kama salayta ‘ala Ibraaheem wa ‘ala aali Ibraaheem, innaka hameedun majeed. Allaahumma baarik ‘ala Muhammad wa ‘ala aali Muhammad kama baarakta ‘ala Ibraaheem wa ‘ala aali Ibraaheem, innaka hameedun majeed (O Allaah, send prayers upon Muhammad and upon the family of Muhammad, as You sent prayers upon Ibraaheem and upon the family of Ibraaheem; You are indeed Worthy of Praise, Full of Glory. O Allaah, send blessings upon Muhammad and upon the family of Muhammad as You sent blessings upon Ibraaheem and upon the family of Ibraaheem; You are indeed Worthy of Praise, Full of Glory).”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari (3700) and Muslim (406) from the hadeeth of Ka‘b ibn ‘Ajrah (may Allah be pleased with him).

~2~
“Allaahumma salli ‘ala Muhammadin wa ‘ala azwaajihi wa dhurriyyatihi kama salayta ‘ala Ibraaheem, wa baarik ‘ala Muhammadin wa ‘ala azwaajihi wa dhurriyyatihi kama baarakta ‘ala aali Ibraaheem, innaka hameedun majeed (O Allaah, send Your salaah (grace, honour and mercy) upon Muhammad and upon his wives and offspring, as You sent Your salaah upon Ibraaheem, and send Your blessings upon Muhammad and upon his wives and offspring, as You sent Your blessings upon the family of Ibraaheem. You are indeed Praiseworthy, Most Glorious).”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari (3369) and Muslim (407) from the hadeeth of Abu Humayd as-Saa‘idi (may Allah be pleased with him).

The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) did not choose anything but that which is noblest and best.
See: Rawdat at-Taalibeen by an-Nawawi (11/66); Fath al-Baari by Ibn Hajar (11/166); Sifat Salaat an-Nabi (sall-Allahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) by al-Albaani, p. 175; al-Mawsoo‘ah al-Fiqhiyyah al-Kuwaitiyyah, 27/97

It is better to vary the phrases used, switching between the versions that have been narrated, sometimes reciting one and sometimes reciting another, so as to follow the Sunnah and sharee‘ah, and so that always reciting one version does not lead to neglecting another which is also proven, and because there are many other benefits in doing so which will not be attained by always reciting only one and not the other.

But we should point out that it is not prescribed to combine and mix these phrases so as to produce a combination of all of them in one; rather that is contrary to the Sunnah, as was stated by a number of scholars.
See: Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa by Ibn Taymiyyah (22/335, 458; 24/242, 247); Jala’ al-Ifhaam by Ibn al-Qayyim (p. 373 ); Qawaa‘id Ibn Rajab (p. 14); ash-Sharh al-Mumti‘ by Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (2/56, 65; 3/29, 98).

When do we send Blessings on the Prophet
There is actually no time prescribed to send blessings on the beloved Prophet in Islam. However we are to send lots of blessings to him on Fridays.
Choosing a particular day (e.g. Sundays, etc.) to send blessings on the Prophet is an innovation as this is unfounded and has no basis in Islam.

It was narrated from Aws ibn Aws that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The best of your days is Friday. On that day Adam (peace be upon him) was created; on that day he died; on that day the Trumpet will be blown; and on that day all of creation will swoon. So send a great deal of blessings upon me, for your blessings will be shown to me.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, how will our blessings upon you be shown to you when you have turned to dust?” He said, “Allaah has forbidden the earth to consume the bodies of the Prophets, peace be upon them.”
Narrated by Abu Dawood, 1047; classed as saheeh by Ibn al-Qayyim in his comments on Sunan Abi Dawood, 4/273; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 925.

How many times should it be sent?
There is no narration on the number of times to send blessings on the Prophet. It is an innovation to fix numbers with respect to supplications without evidence.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “whoever sends blessings upon me, Allaah will send blessings upon him tenfold.” Narrated by Muslim (384).

It was narrated that Ubayy ibn Ka’b (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: When two-thirds of the night had passed, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would say: “O people, remember Allaah, remember Allaah. The first Trumpet is about to sound, and will soon be followed by the second; death has come with all that it entails, death has come with all that it entails.” Ubayy said: I said: O Messenger of Allaah, I send blessings upon you a great deal; how much of my prayer (du’aa’) should be for you? He said: “Whatever you wish.”

I said: One quarter? He said: “Whatever you wish, and if you do more it is better for you.”

I said: Half? He said: “Whatever you wish, and if you do more it is better for you.”

I said: Two thirds? He said: “Whatever you wish, and if you do more it is better for you.”

I said: Should I make all my du’aa’ for you? He said: “Then your concerns will be taken care of and your sins will be forgiven.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2457); classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Can it be done in congregation?
The acts of worship that are to be done in congregation are as stated in the Qur'an and Sunnah. Sending blessings on the Prophet in congregation is an innovation as it was not done in the best generation of Islam.

The Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas was asked about an imam who raises his hands after the prescribed prayers, and the members of the congregation do likewise, and the imam offers du‘aa’ and the members of the congregation say Ameen to his du‘aa’.

They replied:
Acts of worship are based on tawqeef (i.e., it is not permissible to worship Allah, may He be exalted, through any act of worship unless this act of worship is proven in the shar‘i texts (Qur’aan and Sunnah) to be an act of worship that was prescribed by Allah), so it is not permissible to say that these acts of worship are prescribed in terms of their principle, number, form or place, except on the basis of shar‘i evidence to that effect. We do not know of any basis for that in the Sunnah of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) or in his words, deeds or what he approved of.

End quote from Majallat al-Buhooth al-Islamiyyah, 17/55

The actions common in some of our environments wherein some clerics hold gatherings with females purportedly to send blessings on the Prophet on Sundays, Thursdays, etc . is clearly Bid'a (innovation) and an avenue to spread fitan (Plural of Fitna) by free-mixing between male & females that are marriageable. This innovation is worsened if it includes imitation of the Kuffar as it was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Whoever imitates a people is one of them.’” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, al-Libaas, 3512. Al-Albaani said in Saheeh Abi Dawood, (it is) hasan saheeh. No. 3401).

We shouldn't obey a human (no matter how big/knowledgeable he seems to be) and disobey the Creator of all and His Messenger (salallahu 'alayhi wa salam).

The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Whoever does a deed that is not part of this matter of ours, it will be rejected.” Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh.

And Allah is the source of strength.

Culled from IslamQA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... by iamgenius(m): 5:45pm On Oct 29, 2019
Go on! Jazakumulahu khayran bro.

1 Like

Re: Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... by true2god: 7:23am On Oct 30, 2019
Why not send blessing to your African ancestors who gave birth to who gave birth to who gave birth to who gave birth to you? Why send blessings upon an obsure Arabian ancestor who gave no qualms about you and who you have no relationship with? Africans need to start using their senses.

May God bless my late mum (peace be upon her).

1 Like

Re: Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... by iamgenius(m): 7:44pm On Oct 30, 2019
true2god:
Why not send blessing to your African ancestors who gave birth to who gave birth to who gave birth to who gave birth to you? Why send blessings upon an obsure Arabian ancestor who gave no qualms about you and who you have no relationship with? Africans need to start using their senses.

There's nothing wrong in sending prayers upon our ancestors if they were Muslims. And you said an Arab who gave no qualms about us Africans, well that Arab who's a messenger of Allah also said:

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "You should listen to and obey, your ruler even if he was an Ethiopian (black) slave whose head looks like a raisin."

Sahih al-Bukhari 7142
In-book : Book 93, Hadith 6
USC-MSA web (English) : Vol. 9, Book 89, Hadith 256  (deprecated)

How high has he placed Africans in that narration, O slave of Allah? I believe your hypocrisy is very high, even if there's someone whom you had no relationship with and he had done good to you or the entire world you'll surely pray for that person. But when it comes to Islam, you're something else.

2 Likes

Re: Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... by true2god: 9:57am On Oct 31, 2019
iamgenius:
There's nothing wrong in sending prayers upon our ancestors if they were Muslims. And you said an Arab who gave no qualms about us Africans, well that Arab who's a messenger of Allah also said:

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "You should listen to and obey, your ruler even if he was an Ethiopian (black) slave whose head looks like a raisin."

Sahih al-Bukhari 7142
In-book : Book 93, Hadith 6
USC-MSA web (English) : Vol. 9, Book 89, Hadith 256  (deprecated)

How high has he placed Africans in that narration, O slave of Allah? I believe your hypocrisy is very high, even if there's someone whom you had no relationship with and he had done good to you or the entire world you'll surely pray for that person. But when it comes to Islam, you're something else.
The embolded is an insult to you ancestors. If you are a Yoruba muslim I am 99% sure that your last 4 generations were not muslims, why cant you send blessings to them as well? They are in hell fire right? Keep deluding yourself.

On the hadith you quoted, mohammed was both advising his people to be loyal to their leaders and insullting the black people. It is like me saying to someone 'obey your mother even if she a prostitute' or 'obey your leader even if he is a negro with a coconut head'. Your prophet insulted the sensibilities of black people in this hadith.
Re: Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... by iamgenius(m): 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2019
true2god:
The embolded is an insult to you ancestors. If you are a Yoruba muslim I am 99% sure that your last 4 generations were not muslims, why cant you send blessings to them as well? They are in hell fire right? Keep deluding yourself.

On the hadith you quoted, mohammed was both advising his people to be loyal to their leaders and insullting the black people. It is like me saying to someone 'obey your mother even if she a prostitute' or 'obey your leader even if he is a negro with a coconut head'. Your prophet insulted the sensibilities of black people in this hadith.

Well, I've got no problem with my ancestors. They have surely faced the reality concerning what they did on this earth. We pray for those that were Muslims among them only. Deal with that. Abi ki o fi ori f'ole.

About the Hadith. You'll be claiming again that you read things with your minds opened. Where's the insult in what the Prophet (peace be upon him) said? If you're sensible enough to want someone to do something while you didn't want him to be biased when making a choice about it. We surely know that you have to bring a worse example(if the person might not like the situation).

It's akin to the example that you brought about obeying ones mother. Yes, we have to obey our parents(even if they are none Muslims) unless they want us to worship none other than Allah. Being non Muslim is worse than being prostitute.
Re: Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... by true2god: 12:50pm On Nov 03, 2019
iamgenius:
Well, I've got no problem with my ancestors. They have surely faced the reality concerning what they did on this earth. We pray for those that were Muslims among them only. Deal with that. Abi ki o fi ori f'ole.
What did your ancestors do wrong that the Arabs did not do worse? Did your ancestors invade other people's land and impose their way of life on them? Did your ancestors kill to convert others into their religion? Your ancestors do not need your prayers because it has no effect whatsoever.

iamgenius:
About the Hadith. You'll be claiming again that you read things with your minds opened. Where's the insult in what the Prophet (peace be upon him) said? If you're sensible enough to want someone to do something while you didn't want him to be biased when making a choice about it. We surely know that you have to bring a worse example(if the person might not like the situation).
If I want to advise someone and I say 'obey iamgenious even if he has a dull brain and a coconut head' wil you, 'iamgenuious', feel offended? This is exactly what your mohammed did when he called black people 'raisin heads'.

iamgenius:
It's akin to the example that you brought about obeying ones mother. Yes, we have to obey our parents(even if they are none Muslims) unless they want us to worship none other than Allah. Being non Muslim is worse than being prostitute.
So all the muslims that have left Islam are worst than prostitutes? What about the ones that have joined Islam? What are they now? You need your brain examined bro.
Re: Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... by Empiree: 8:48pm On Nov 03, 2019
true2god:

troublemaker cheesy
Re: Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... by IMAliyu(m): 9:56pm On Nov 03, 2019
true2god:

I don't really see your problem with our decision to send blessings to the "obscure Arabian ancestor" you mentioned.
As for sending blessings to our parents and ancestors why do you assume that we don't and if we don't does it really have anything to do with you?
We get it, you hate the Islamic Prophet (PBH), but that's not our concern.
Re: Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... by true2god: 10:22pm On Nov 03, 2019
Empiree:
troublemaker cheesy
Ogbeni empire, kilosele? Oju to ri e ti gbo ooo!
Re: Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... by Empiree: 11:58pm On Nov 03, 2019
true2god:
Ogbeni empire, kilosele? Oju to ri e ti gbo ooo!
mo wa occupied ni faah
Re: Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... by true2god: 4:51am On Nov 04, 2019
Empiree:
mo wa occupied ni faah
Tó, oda be. Maba mi ki awon ara ile é.
Re: Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... by najib632(m): 2:41pm On Nov 23, 2019
iamgenius:

The guy quoting is daft. Don't waste your time with him.
Re: Sending Blessings On The Prophet (salallahu 'alayhi Wa Salam).... by Babaheekmat: 6:20pm On Nov 24, 2019
You belief act of worship is taokefiyah (unchangeable)

Yet you belief some act of worship that's changed is a sin

When you do not understand anything in Islam.

All that you do is copy and paste scholars fatawa without understanding one bit of it

(1) (Reply)

Is The Quran Perfect? / How I Am Memorizing The Quran Although I Am Lazy / Good News To All Muslims!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.