Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,983 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:34 AM

Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? (1720 Views)

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria / What Are Some Of The Weird And Funny Names In Your Language/Dialect? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Olu317(m): 6:52am On Dec 06, 2019
nlPoster:

The op never said he's Yoruba.

What he typed was the people behind him called him a Yoruba person.

It sounds to me he was referred to as Yoruba in a perjorative manner, ie as someone who is ignorant of his identity.
There is no iota of doubt about being accused of being from another ethnic group but my point is that the OP's intention is to debate on behavioural pattern of Yoruba people. After all, he didn't mention, his tribe at first on his Post . Instead, he mentioned, ‘I am from Kogi', which means, the Post has ethnic undertone until later that complains about his motive exposed.

Secondly, he did claim,one of the two guys, spoke in his own language about a Yoruba boy who has just smoked weed which was the reason for sneezing in their front while on queue! Interestingly, the OP intention fit well for the purpose of this post, for accusation of Yoruba people and counter accusation of not being. The reason being that he did no correction of his tribe's men about his o wn tribe's identity when he was insulted of being a weed smoker from assumably from a Yoruba ethnic group because of his facial look or *uncivilized conduct*. Although, I have seen many people calling others as people of another ethnic group when these people are not but such wrong ethnic identity are often corrected ,if one is different from such ethnic or tribe's ,which is expected to had been done instantaneously by OP at the scene but mischievously, he was silent about this part.
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by nlPoster: 11:32am On Dec 06, 2019
Olu317:
There is no iota of doubt about being accused of being from another ethnic group but my point is that the OP's intention is to debate on behavioural pattern of Yoruba people.

He mentioned his own people, who referred to him as Yoruba when he displayed certain behaviours, correct.

After all, he didn't mention, his tribe at first on his Post

From his point of view being an internal migrant or should I say internal diasporan, he prefers his state as a general means of identification before his tribe. Its about personal preferences and context.

Secondly, he did claim,one of the two guys, spoke in his own language about a Yoruba boy who has just smoked weed which was the reason for sneezing in their front while on queue! Interestingly, the OP intention fit well for the purpose of this post, for accusation of Yoruba people and counter accusation of not being. The reason being that he did no correction of his tribe's men about his o wn tribe's identity when he was insulted of being a weed smoker from assumably from a Yoruba ethnic group because of his facial look or *uncivilized conduct*. Although, I have seen many people calling others as people of another ethnic group when these people are not but such wrong ethnic identity are often corrected ,if one is different from such ethnic or tribe's ,which is expected to had been done instantaneously by OP at the scene but mischievously, he was silent about this part.

He didn't explain what took place afterwards. His point was his kinsmen referred to him as a Yoruba boy in their language which he assumes they thought was foreign to him. Yes, they ascribed certain anti-social behaviours to Yoruba, however, I dont know if the OP shares those views, perhaps he does as you say. But I think its inconclusive.
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Olu317(m): 3:36pm On Dec 06, 2019
nlPoster:

The op never said he's Yoruba.

What he typed was the people behind him called him a Yoruba person.

It sounds to me he was referred to as Yoruba in a perjorative manner, ie as someone who is ignorant of his identity.
Stop thinking for what some one claims as assumable view. I am not interested in engaging you any more on this issue because you aren't ready to read between the lines.....
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by nlPoster: 3:56pm On Dec 06, 2019
Olu317:
Stop thinking for what some one claims as assumable view. I am not interested in engaging you any more on this issue because you aren't ready to read between the lines.....

Ok then. Make sure you're reading correctly between the lines however.
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by GOFRONT(m): 7:41pm On Dec 06, 2019
Erm!!!....nlPoster, Pls just forget about this before you find yourself at loggerhead with Olu317.....I even tried to break the topic down for him to gulp, but I dnt really get what's happening...

I understand what Olu317 is tryna fight for!!!......Why should a yoruba play the role of a weed smoker in the drama that took place in Op's write up?? Why should Yoruba even appear in the picture? grin This is what Mr Olu is not okay with... grin. And Mr Olu317 doesn't even seem to understand with anybody on this thread at all.....He just dey blow him own plenty plenty Grammar cheesy

But Mr Olu, remember that there is no tribe in Nigeria that doesn't smoke weed. Don't forget...

Those two guyz Only Mis-identify the Op to be a Yoruba guy just because they are in Yoruba land; thereby tagging him a weed smoker.
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by Olu317(m): 9:38pm On Dec 06, 2019
GOFRONT:
Erm!!!....nlPoster, Pls just forget about this before you find yourself at loggerhead with Olu317.....I even tried to break the topic down for him to gulp, but I dnt really get what's happening...

I understand what Olu317 is tryna fight for!!!......Why should a yoruba play the role of a weed smoker in the drama that took place in Op's write up?? Why should Yoruba even appear in the picture? grin This is what Mr Olu is not okay with... grin. And Mr Olu317 doesn't even seem to understand with anybody on this thread at all.....He just dey blow him own plenty plenty Grammar cheesy

But Mr Olu, remember that there is no tribe in Nigeria that doesn't smoke weed. Don't forget...

Those two guyz Only Mis-identify the Op to be a Yoruba guy just because they are in Yoruba land; thereby tagging him a weed smoker.

Let the grammar thing be a jab at me! Although you actually got my point,despite the justification by nlPoster defensive mechanism. The reason being that the OP, tactically narrated deficient story because he mentioned only Yoruba ethnic group which is not part of the scene,since the affair is all Igala grouping, even if Yoruba language is intelligible to Igala people. As far as I am concern, he his mischievous in all ramification for not mentioning his ethnic background so as for him to have, a good response from his followers on this thread.
Re: Have They Ever Spoken Your Local Dialect Against You Unknowingly To Them? by nlPoster: 11:00pm On Dec 06, 2019
Olu317:

the justification by nlPoster defensive mechanism.

Actually, you're the one being overly defensive without letting us know why.

Do you have issues with the op's tribe?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo:Ooni Of Ife's Aides Beaten & Stripped By Owa Obokun Of Ijesaland's Thugs / This Was Seen Somewhere In Kaduna State / Yoruba: Ekuro/okuro Lalabaku Ewa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.