Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:14 PM

Why Duck Farming Is A Good Alternative To Chicken Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Duck Farming Is A Good Alternative To Chicken Farming (1242 Views)

How Profitable Pepper Farming Is In Nigeria / Duck Farming: Let's Journey Together / Duck Farming: Why It Is A Good Alternative To Chicken. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Duck Farming Is A Good Alternative To Chicken Farming by bnet1010(m): 8:08pm On Oct 29, 2019
If you are looking for an alternative, economically viable good source of income duck farming is your best option.

And a steady source of nutritious and tasty eggs including meat then you might as well consider raising ducks in your backyards. Or even as a commercial venture.

Though chickens have proven to be very good source of farm fresh eggs and meat, you cannot take that away from them.

If you really want to have an expansion and alternative to chickens then duke is a good option due to it hardiness.

Ducks can serve as a source of multiple streams of income and a good source of eggs and meat just like chickens.

Duck farming have supplied meat and eggs to many poor families, and not just supplying them with meat and eggs it has lifted a lot of them out of poverty.

Especially those from the rural community. I have seen families enjoying extra source of income from engaging in just backyard duck farming.

This highly profitable farming venture if only can be re-invented and pursued like chicken farming, it will lift a lot of families out of poverty.

Reasons Why Duck Farming Is a Good Alternative to Chicken Farming
Ducks are incredibly hardy and more resistance to disease than chickens. And can grow and survive more in a cold, wet and marshy environment than chickens.

Ducks also have a comparative advantage over chickens in terms of surviving floods. Chickens can be easily swept away. While ducks will just simple float on the waters and survive the flooded area until the situation subside.

Comparatively ducks have more laying period than chickens. i.e their laying periods is more longer than that of chickens.

Considering the hardiness, the foraging ability, and adaptability of ducks to grow and flourish in a free range environment. These attributes stands them out. And have succeeded in making these birds help a lot of families have a good source of livelihood and earn reasonable amount of income.

Ducks lay their eggs mostly at the early hours of the morning and at night. Thereby affording you the opportunity to do and achieve other routines for the day and at the same time keeping the ducks safe and well fed.

Ducks can also be used in controlling other harmful insects in your farm and as exterminators of snails, fleas etc. they can also be used to control the population of mosquitoes larvae as they feed on them.

Ducks have low mortality rate compared to chickens. Due to their hardy nature. Which gives the farmer an ample opportunity to increase his revenue base and enhance profitability.
source: https://bnethub.com/duck-farming-is-a-good-alternative-to-chicken-farming/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Duck Farming Is A Good Alternative To Chicken Farming by Nigerfine3: 11:27pm On Oct 30, 2019
I agree, I'm afraid about sakes. I have capacity for commercial production.

1 Like

Re: Why Duck Farming Is A Good Alternative To Chicken Farming by nauto15: 12:44pm On Oct 31, 2019
I will come back to comment

1 Like

Re: Why Duck Farming Is A Good Alternative To Chicken Farming by omoluabi87: 1:27pm On Oct 31, 2019
I’ve kept ducks before and you’re correct mostly; however ducks can fly!!!
Once they take off it’s almost impossible to catch them so i had to keep trimming their wings.
On a large scale this would be very difficult so do you have any ideas?

1 Like

Re: Why Duck Farming Is A Good Alternative To Chicken Farming by mfm04622: 2:10pm On Oct 31, 2019
omoluabi87:
I’ve kept ducks before and you’re correct mostly; however ducks can fly!!!
Once they take off it’s almost impossible to catch them so i had to keep trimming their wings.
On a large scale this would be very difficult so do you have any ideas?

As long as they recognise the place you keep them as home, they will come back

1 Like

Re: Why Duck Farming Is A Good Alternative To Chicken Farming by omoluabi87: 2:44pm On Oct 31, 2019
Lol. That is sooo untrue.
Ducks aren’t as domesticated as chicken; coming back is 50-50

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Guinea Corn Storage And Sales / Cow, Goat Sharing Is One Among The Best Business To Do Is Profitable / Turkey Birds For Sale!!!!! Over 150 Birds Available!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.