Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,955 members, 7,806,763 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? (7511 Views)

Oranmiiyan Was The Son Of A Benin Prince Who Was Exiled / Ayelala Is A Benin Worship Dont Mind The Yorubas For Claiming It / Are The Yorubas Real Owners Of Lagos? A Benin Man Speaks (PIC) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by lx3as(m): 4:46pm On Nov 01, 2019
nlPoster:
Uwa has various meanings in the different Nigerian languages, for Yoruba, I doubt wealth is one of them. I could be wrong of course.

Uwa seems to be wealth in the midwest (specifically Itsekiri).

Iwa or Uwa means manners in Yoruba. It's considered a suffix in Oduduwa: Odu to da Iwa ie the myth or spell that brought culture.

The op's context is Benin versus Esan, not Yoruba.

Is Itsekiri not Yoruboid language? What's the difference between 'Omotsola and Omosola or Omawumi and Omowumi'? I have two friends from the same community in Ekiti that have surnames: Ogunkuade and Ogunkọrọde (same meaning); there are another people with same meanings: Osakuade and Osakọrọde (Orisa has brought wealth); Adeluyi and Adeniyi, etc.
What you can argue is that, the 'w' in Adesuwa is most time silent in Yoruba's (Adesua). You can ask people in Eastern Yoruba states the meaning of names like "Olumilua" and several samples I already mentioned above. In Eastern Yoruba, 'owo - money' is 'egho, pronounced 'eo or eho'; when Itsekiri would say: mini/meni, meji; Ekiti would say: ini, eji; proper Yoruba: ookan, eeji. Uyọ̀̀(Ilaje), Ọyọ̀(Ekiti)̀=Ayọ̀ (the joy I have = uyọ meyọ/mẹyọ, ọyọ̀ meyọ/mọyọ = ayọ moyọ)̀. Adesuwa is a Bini name but it is also an Eastern Yoruba name. It's hard to find someone from Oyo state for example, having names like, Adesuwa, Osasọna, Adesọna (Ekiti/ Ondo states); what you'll have them bearing are Adesọrọ/Adesẹyẹ Oluwasewa/Olusewa, Adesewa. The Eastern and central Yoruba dialects respectively are older and deeper than the North Western Yoruba dialects; 'Ọnà and Okun' are deeper than 'ẹwà and pẹlẹ' (beauty and sorry).

2 Likes

Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by nlPoster: 6:15pm On Nov 01, 2019
Leave Osasona out of the discussion, thanks.

You're pushing it and dont quote me if you have an ulterior motive for so doing.

Lastly, I do not know you, if you know me, then make that fact known to me and any other interested party.

I dont do unseen ministration where some of you hide behind anonymity to type.
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by PureFace1(m): 6:57pm On Nov 01, 2019
lx3as:

In Ekiti it means, 'She has come to wealth, come to make wealth or crown makes wealth, also a celebrity...

'Uwa, Ua (some group do leave out 'w') mean 'wealth' or to celebrate just as 'Uyi' means 'fame or prestige' but in central Yoruba 'Iwa & Uwa in C/E Yoruba' can also mean 'Character' while 'Ọrọ'̀ is 'wealth'; 'Uyi' is 'Iyi'; Adesua/Adesuwa in C/E Yoruba=Adeṣẹyẹ in proper Yoruba.

Adesuwa is a Bini name, you can give your child but it's a name people bear across Edo, Ekiti, Ondo states and to some extent among Ìjèsà and Ife in Osun State. Just like names with predix like Osa, Ogun, Aideyan, etc and those with sufix like Uwa, Ua (Adesuwa, Adesua, Akinlua, Adelua, Ademilua), Uyi (Ademiluyi, Suyi, etc).

Benin people bear that name but the name actually take its root from Yoruba
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by lx3as(m): 8:40pm On Nov 01, 2019
nlPoster:
Leave Osasona out of the discussion, thanks.

You're pushing it and dont quote me if you have an ulterior motive for so doing.

Lastly, I do not know you, if you know me, then make that fact known to me and any other interested party.

I dont do unseen ministration where some of you hide behind anonymity to type.

''Uwa has various meanings in the different
Nigerian languages, for Yoruba, I doubt wealth
is one of them. I could be wrong of course.
Uwa seems to be wealth in the midwest
(specifically Itsekiri).
Iwa or Uwa means manners in Yoruba. It's
considered a suffix in Oduduwa: Odu to da
Iwa ie the myth or spell that brought culture.
The op's context is Benin versus Esan, not
Yoruba.''

This stuff you wrote above made me quote you.

You don't assume authority over issue you are not versed. I wonder if you speak or even understand any central Yoruba dialects (Ifẹ, Ìjèsà, Ekiti & Igbomina) or South Eastern Yoruba dialects ( Ọwọ, Akoko, Ijebu, Ondo, Ikale, Ìlájé, etc.)
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by nlPoster: 8:49pm On Nov 01, 2019
Think whatever you like, just don't be shadowing me unnecessarily, speak plainly to me and let me know who you are if you feel you know me.
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by geosegun(m): 11:15pm On Nov 01, 2019
gregyboy:
Adesuwa is a pure benin name not esan or yoruba name

The esan dont use the word

Ade meaning direction which the esan for direction sound different...
But it becoming noticeable that most esans are now bearing the benin names as of presently

For the yorubas they probably adopted the name not quite long from the edos since it sounds also like a yoruba name

Adesewa is pure Yoruba and while Adesuwa is Benin. Its probably the Benins corrupted the Original Yoruba name- Adesewa to Adesuwa. Very likely, knowing fully well that the Yoruba language was the lingua Franca in the Benin royal palace.
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by odigbosky(m): 12:43am On Nov 02, 2019
Yoruba's and their wahala. We call it Adesuwa you call it Adesewa which one is we corrupted it again na. Is it everything we adopted from you, why can't you guys just agree that the eastern Yoruba's corrupted it from us. The title Osemawe sounds Edo..and it sounds corrupted grin
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by odigbosky(m): 12:44am On Nov 02, 2019
geosegun:

Adesewa is pure Yoruba and while Adesuwa is Benin. Its probably the Benins corrupted the Original Yoruba name- Adesewa to Adesuwa. Very likely, knowing fully well that the Yoruba language was the lingua Franca in the Benin royal palace.

Shay dem born you for Benin palace when you take hear say Yoruba na lingua franca. Una can lie grin

3 Likes

Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by geosegun(m): 9:36am On Nov 02, 2019
odigbosky:

Shay dem born you for Benin palace when you take hear say Yoruba na lingua franca. Una can lie grin

I kind of like your curiosity.

Uptil 1934, the official Language of communications within the royal palace of Benin is Yoruba. #fact. History books are out there, or you can use Google to verify this, young man.
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by Nobody: 10:03am On Nov 02, 2019
geosegun:

Uptil 1934, the official Language of communications within the royal palace of Benin is Yoruba. #fact. History books are out there, or you can use Google to verify this, young man.
which history books? Better keep shut

1 Like

Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by nlPoster: 10:05am On Nov 02, 2019
Igbosmoker:
which history books? Better keep shut

Lolz.

They dont teach history anymore in Nigeria, I heard.
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by odigbosky(m): 10:44am On Nov 02, 2019
geosegun:

Well it's a lie. And anybody can write trash and put it on the internet. You have absolutely no proof

1 Like

Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by geosegun(m): 11:38am On Nov 02, 2019
odigbosky:

Well it's a lie. And anybody can write trash and put it on the internet. You have absolutely no proof

You can not deny this, because, this just happened of recent(1934). Stop deceiving yourself and face reality. Ask you Omo n oba to do a DNA test. This will put all your lies and inferiority complex to rest.

See your Oba of Benin among the Senior Yoruba Obas' here

https://www.nairaland.com/2926436/photo-senior-yoruba-obas-1937/12

Stop deceiving yourselves, accept reality and move with you life. Even the current British Royal Family have the German ancestry, so what's the fuse all about?
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by odigbosky(m): 12:06pm On Nov 02, 2019
geosegun:

You can not deny this, because, this just happened of recent(1934). Stop deceiving yourself and face reality. Ask you Omo n oba to do a DNA test. This will put all your lies and inferiority complex to rest.

See your Oba of Benin among the Senior Yoruba Obas' here

https://www.nairaland.com/2926436/photo-senior-yoruba-obas-1937/12

Stop deceiving yourselves, accept reality and move with you life. Even the current British Royal Family have the German ancestry, so what's the fuse all about?

Okay you win
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by gregyboy(m): 1:06pm On Nov 02, 2019
geosegun:

Lol....like the way benin was the lingual franca in yoruba lands...
Abeg dont make me laugh
The benin stool is spread all over yoruba land from osun to eko, ondo,ekiti
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by googi: 4:01pm On Nov 02, 2019
You guys have been told many times to stop confusing yourselves.

There is a difference between Edo and Bini. All Bini bear Yoruba names to demonstrate their relationship to Oba from Ile-Ife, Uhle.

They no longer do it in revolt to their Yoruba origin and in solidarity with Edo to prove their allegiance to the land they conquered.

The revolt of the father of the present Oba from a renter of the land after each installation cannot fool the Ogiso as another Yoruba ploy. This is why they got the highest Court judgment to retain their land and keep Yoruba as tenant.

Which Edo word is ADE?
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by nlPoster: 4:24pm On Nov 02, 2019
odigbosky:

Okay you win

For you, nairaland is a stronger source of history.
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by odigbosky(m): 4:57pm On Nov 02, 2019
nlPoster:

For you, nairaland is a stronger source of history.

Been here since 2013
E no get wetin all dis argument dy change.
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by nlPoster: 5:36pm On Nov 02, 2019
odigbosky:

Been here since 2013
E no get wetin all dis argument dy change.

You were very persistent though, until he brought up the nairaland thread.

Then you suddenly got discouraged.
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by scholes0(m): 5:43pm On Nov 02, 2019
lx3as:

Is Itsekiri not Yoruboid language? What's the difference between 'Omotsola and Omosola or Omawumi and Omowumi'? I have two friends from the same community in Ekiti that have surnames: Ogunkuade and Ogunkọrọde (same meaning); there are another people with same meanings: Osakuade and Osakọrọde (Orisa has brought wealth); Adeluyi and Adeniyi, etc.
What you can argue is that, the 'w' in Adesuwa is most time silent in Yoruba's (Adesua). You can ask people in Eastern Yoruba states the meaning of names like "Olumilua" and several samples I already mentioned above. In Eastern Yoruba, 'owo - money' is 'egho, pronounced 'eo or eho'; when Itsekiri would say: mini/meni, meji; Ekiti would say: ini, eji; proper Yoruba: ookan, eeji. Uyọ̀̀(Ilaje), Ọyọ̀(Ekiti)̀=Ayọ̀ (the joy I have = uyọ meyọ/mẹyọ, ọyọ̀ meyọ/mọyọ = ayọ moyọ)̀. Adesuwa is a Bini name but it is also an Eastern Yoruba name. It's hard to find someone from Oyo state for example, having names like, Adesuwa, Osasọna, Adesọna (Ekiti/ Ondo states); what you'll have them bearing are Adesọrọ/Adesẹyẹ Oluwasewa/Olusewa, Adesewa. The Eastern and central Yoruba dialects respectively are older and deeper than the North Western Yoruba dialects; 'Ọnà and Okun' are deeper than 'ẹwà and pẹlẹ' (beauty and sorry).

I agree.
Jus like Oluku is deeper and older than ore.

1 Like

Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by gregyboy(m): 6:13pm On Nov 02, 2019
googi:
You guys have been told many times to stop confusing yourselves.

There is a difference between Edo and Bini. All Bini bear Yoruba names to demonstrate their relationship to Oba from Ile-Ife, Uhle.

They no longer do it in revolt to their Yoruba origin and in solidarity with Edo to prove their allegiance to the land they conquered.

The revolt of the father of the present Oba from a renter of the land after each installation cannot fool the Ogiso as another Yoruba ploy. This is why they got the highest Court judgment to retain their land and keep Yoruba as tenant.

Which Edo word is ADE?

Ade averb : road ,diection
Ode’ verb= direction
Adesode -cetre of road
Adesuwa: centre of wealth
Uwa: wealth

Adesuwa a was a lady who was to be married by the oba ...at 17c which led to revolt of the whole of anioma state against the Benin's and benin came victorious

Read it yourself ....on goggle.

Benin ruled ife too and in ife dey once spoke bini before allowed them to speak thier language because they wanted to revolt
Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by googi: 7:43pm On Nov 02, 2019
Another circular dance.

Engage yourself to your satisfaction of who or what came before the other.

gregyboy:

Ade averb : road ,diection
Ode’ verb= direction
Adesode -cetre of road
Adesuwa: centre of wealth
Uwa: wealth

Adesuwa a was a lady who was to be married by the oba ...at 17c which led to revolt of the whole of anioma state against the Benin's and benin came victorious

Read it yourself ....on goggle.

Benin ruled ife too and in ife dey once spoke bini before allowed them to speak thier language because they wanted to revolt

2 Likes

Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by nlPoster: 8:50pm On Nov 02, 2019
Let's just agree everybody spoke English and leave it at that.

1 Like

Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by Nobody: 5:11am On Nov 03, 2019
Yoruba have found a way to distort Benin history with their convoluted made up stories. The earliest non African and objective historical account places the Benin monarchy ahead of the yoruba.

The yoruba should focus on clearing the air about the origin of the word "yoruba" as some are saying that it is a hausa word rather than their historical revisionist tales of Yoruba being spoken in the Benin palace. Lol

As for the name "Adesuwa", it is a purely Benin name and the name was made popular because of a Benin queen. The Adesewa we are getting now is obviously as usual an attempt by Yorubas in their usual cunning manner, make it have Yoruba origins

1 Like

Re: Is Adesuwa A Benin Name? by odigbosky(m): 9:16am On Nov 03, 2019
nlPoster:

You were very persistent though, until he brought up the nairaland thread.

Then you suddenly got discouraged.

Thought he was going to give me a good link to maybe an article or something I can read elsewhere. When I saw google and the NL thread I was discouraged as you said.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Most Long-lived Empires In History. / The Edos & The Children Of Israel - Born Of The Same Father! / Who Was Ezechime?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.