Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? - Fashion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? (30400 Views)

Top 10 Trendy Haircuts For Guys (PHOTOS) / PHOTOS: Ghana Must Go Boxers For Guys / Hair Wonder Natural Shampoo My Like And Dislike. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by ukaface(f): 1:27pm On Nov 01, 2019
Let me be a little racist and bias about this
Oyibo dreads make sense....like,them demigods with blue eyes,broad chest,and dreads? Damn...from afar you'll know it's neat,and would smell well..chai.

But narrow it down home, Nigerians? Forgerit..... it's always dirty and irritating,most times it makes them look absurd.
I cringe whenever I come in contact with em..

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Nov 01, 2019
africandictator:
Hello Nairalanders, I have been searching for reasons why most Nigerians have a phobia and dislike for boys and men with dreadlocks and I can’t find any credible reason.

Their reasons are senseless and baseless, most Nigerians tend to vilify boys and men with dreadlocks because for some people, dreads hairstyle doers can be very terrifying and they are adjudged to be criminals which is not always true.

In this part, I think it is a crime for a man to pursue happiness.. Nigerians have failed to take into consideration the dynamism in fashion because I wondered why the dread hairstyles where not present in the days of our fathers but the Afro hairstyle was appreciated and considered responsible during that era.

Our ethical compass as a nation have been destroyed because in recent times we have seen people under the guise of sheep and heavenly clothing commit grievous crimes.

Nigerian Parents who have lost their youths should allow the current youth to live theirs. fashion is dynamic and dreads are natural and beautiful... In fact dreads are africanlike, because they defined our appearance and blackness during ancient times as they added to our aesthetic value.

Nairalanders! let us begin to accept people with dreadlocks and see them as civil and normal citizens.. stop the stereotyping..

It is not a senseless fear. Majority of them are cultists. It won't kill you if you appear decent whereever you find yourself.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Taiwo20(m): 1:29pm On Nov 01, 2019
I only have issues with non-natural dreads especially if the person adorning such hairstyle is not an artiste,entertainer,sportsman etc

BTw, I am think of getting a tattoo.
I would appreciate a breakdown of the procedure,price and location from all and sundry.

Thank You.

P.S: Insults and Yabbing is very acceptable and welcomed. I no buy fine or data for anybody
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Marvieduke(f): 1:32pm On Nov 01, 2019
Dirty hair style

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 01, 2019
Locking hair is one thing, maintaining it is another.

These days, majority of working class women in Abuja have locked hairs under their wigs.
If u have full thick hair, your locks will be generating money for you if its neat and well maintained.
I have locks. More than 6 ladies started locking hairs when they saw mine. So beautiful and full. Some mistake it for weave on depending on the style I have.
Throughout my stay in Abuja, I can count not less than 7 times some big ladies will walk up to me to book my lock.
The first time I was asked if I sell my locks, I eyed the lady and walked away. A lady told me she use her locks to take care of her children's school needs.
A 14 inches lock is around 150k. Yes, u read well. Mine was priced 100 cos it wasn't very long then. Seems the longer, the costlier.
If u know your onions, locks are not expensive to maintain.

Guys don't know how to maintain locks. It requires dedication. Women are used to handling hair so it's just normal part of their beauty routine.

I lock my hair myself these days as loctician are not close to me.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by quizpaid(f): 1:39pm On Nov 01, 2019
Normal person won't do dreadlocks
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Taiwo20(m): 1:41pm On Nov 01, 2019
BORNTOSUCKPUSSY:
No girl will ever agree to date you with that shitty locs except you a superstar artiste...right now brush in 360 waves in your hair with a taper beard and watch ur sef getting all manner of pussy

So getting laid= 360 waves

Where can I buy that 360 waves. Is it available on Jumia?
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by InvertedHammer: 1:46pm On Nov 01, 2019
/
Most mad men you see back in the days had dreadlocks.

Don't forget the popular picture of Bob Marley with a wrap of marijuana.

Drill rappers (who are mostly menace to the society) seem to choose dreadlocks as their uniform.
/

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Nov 01, 2019
Because they were not born with dreadlocks, and look like rascals with their untidy hairs.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by TruthHurts100: 1:50pm On Nov 01, 2019
Higher percentage of people on dreads are criminals.

Agree LIKE Disagree SHARE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by shadeyinka(m): 1:58pm On Nov 01, 2019
gypsey:
Proves nothing still smiley This are choices people have made. Appart from the helpless/choiceless mad man.

Not everyone who smokes weed has dreadlocks and not everyone with dreadlocks smokes weed.
So, the part of the mad man is true!

How about Bob Marley the Reggae icon. He didn't smoke ganja?

Why do you think white garment churches encourage "Dada" Nazarene Culture?

Just like not every mad man has dreadlocks. But no one would feign a suprise to see a mad man in dreads
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by iammolise(m): 2:02pm On Nov 01, 2019
Too bad we see dreads in a negative outlook in this part of the world... But I think if u do ur dreads neat, park them tidily when u are going out, and dress decently (cooperate if it's necessary or ur choice)... I don't see any reason why anyone's opinion should mean "SHIT" really undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by shadeyinka(m): 2:05pm On Nov 01, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

The late Sam Okwaraji had dreadlocks...and as far as I know he 1) was not mad 2) was not a Rastafarian.. 3) was a member of a mainline church
The OP asked a question of why our society do not appreciate dread locks on men.

Do you have an opinion on his question?

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 01, 2019
shadeyinka:

The OP asked a question of why our society do not appreciate dread locks on men.

Do you have an opinion on his question?

See upthread. I have already written my opinion...before that post you quoted.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Alashoalash10: 2:10pm On Nov 01, 2019
africandictator:
Hello Nairalanders, I have been searching for reasons why most Nigerians have a phobia and dislike for boys and men with dreadlocks and I can’t find any credible reason.

Their reasons are senseless and baseless, most Nigerians tend to vilify boys and men with dreadlocks because for some people, dreads hairstyle doers can be very terrifying and they are adjudged to be criminals which is not always true.

In this part, I think it is a crime for a man to pursue happiness.. Nigerians have failed to take into consideration the dynamism in fashion because I wondered why the dread hairstyles where not present in the days of our fathers but the Afro hairstyle was appreciated and considered responsible during that era.

Our ethical compass as a nation have been destroyed because in recent times we have seen people under the guise of sheep and heavenly clothing commit grievous crimes.

Nigerian Parents who have lost their youths should allow the current youth to live theirs. fashion is dynamic and dreads are natural and beautiful... In fact dreads are africanlike, because they defined our appearance and blackness during ancient times as they added to our aesthetic value.

Nairalanders! let us begin to accept people with dreadlocks and see them as civil and normal citizens.. stop the stereotyping..

if it is the natural one,but the man made ones are common with drug addicts,criminals and smokers
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by MoIbrahim: 2:14pm On Nov 01, 2019
Nothing tangible, really.
Just the mental association with ganja

africandictator:

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by midnighter(f): 2:20pm On Nov 01, 2019
BORNTOSUCKPUSSY:
No girl will ever agree to date you with that shitty locs except you a superstar artiste...right now brush in 360 waves in your hair with a taper beard and watch ur sef getting all manner of pussy

Hmm...hope your waves look like that? How will you get away with wearing a durag??
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 01, 2019
shadeyinka:

So, the part of the mad man is true!

How about Bob Marley the Reggae icon. He didn't smoke ganja?

Why do you think white garment churches encourage "Dada" Nazarene Culture?

Just like not every mad man has dreadlocks. But no one would feign a suprise to see a mad man in dreads
Not really, i was just sympathising with the mad man, besides you gave me a mad man as an example. so i gave my sympathetic opinion on the mad.

Yes, he may have smoked weed but he wasn't irresponsible or mad According to you. he was one of the best Raggae musicians.

I woudn't know about the churche's case, i am not religious.

Not really, it depends on your idea of a mad man,
people with mental illness are they also mad men? i am bipolar. does that make me a mad man? in your view.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by EnaibeSam: 2:25pm On Nov 01, 2019
Instead of carrying dreadlocks that makes you look like a crazy man, when your family members will see you as a black sheep, and which will make your heart fly whenever you sight a uniform man, why not just give your hairs a fine cut that makes you look responsible and acceptable by everyone and allow good breeze to enter the scalp of your head. Imagine you going to see your bank manager and seeing Mr manager carrying dreadlocks on his head, what would you think?

I don't just like seeing men carry dreadlocks.
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by midnighter(f): 2:25pm On Nov 01, 2019
sinceraconcept:
Call it whatever you like but we are cultural and religious and proud to be. Religion and culture limits the rate at which people stray

But our culture also includes native tattoos and scarification, are they not harmless?

(Not talking about tribal marks that are done without your consent)

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by BlackCrainte: 2:30pm On Nov 01, 2019
It's the first sign of poverty!

Why people are so scared of it.

People with dread always die poor.

Mention one that died rich in last 1000 years.
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 2:41pm On Nov 01, 2019
TheGiftedOne:
...because it reeks of irresponsibility. Thank you!

Based on whose standard?

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Barzinime(m): 2:50pm On Nov 01, 2019
No.1 Can you marry someone going to a white garment church with dreads?
No.2 Is dreadlocks a Nigerian thing?
No.3 If your teenage child decide to be on dreads will you allow him/her?

Not saying dreads is a bad thing tho but people with dreads are associated with so many bad things in Nigeria
1. Chronic Weed Smokers
2. Internet Fraudster especially the ones with tattoos
3. White garment church member(which some people have phobia for)
4. A Lunatic
5. People that are not responsible cos its going to be hard getting a white collar job on dreads.

The problem with Nigerians is that we dont copy positive things from the western world only thing that is of no value or meaningful importance, if majority of Nigerians have phobia or dislike for people with dreads what has that got to do with the country progressing?
The reason i love Asian is that they dont allow the western way of life interfere with their culture and beliefs, its only here in Africa we allow bullshit.

africandictator:

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by ThatFairGuy: 2:56pm On Nov 01, 2019
Appearance says a lot about individual.... Dreadlocks shows sign of IRRESPONSIBILITY, It makes someone a SUSPECT, RIFFRAFF and denied them so many opportunities.... You don't expect me to give job to men on dreadlocks, when I'm not mad....
To me, it's only mentally derailed person that doesn't comb here, so they're mad people.
Can you Vote in to a political office, men on dreads?
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by midnighter(f): 2:58pm On Nov 01, 2019
Barzinime:
No.1 Can you marry someone going to a white garment church with dreads?
No.2 Is dreadlocks a Nigerian thing?
No.3 If your teenage child decide to be on dreads will you allow him/her?

Not saying dreads is a bad thing tho but people with dreads are associated with so many bad things in Nigeria
1. Chronic Weed Smokers
2. Internet Fraudster especially the ones with tattoos
3. White garment church member(which some people have phobia for)
4. A Lunatic
5. People that are not responsible cos its going to be hard getting a white collar job on dreads.

The problem with Nigerians is that we dont copy positive things from the western world only thing that is of no value or meaningful importance, if majority of Nigerians have phobia or dislike for people with dreads what has that got to do with the country progressing?
The reason i love Asian is that they dont allow the western way of life interfere with their culture and beliefs, its only here in Africa we allow bullshit.

You can't just reduce all issues to "what has that got to do with the country progressing".

This is a relevant issue to the poster and he opened it in the "fashion section". If someone opens up a debate about a social topic, is that not dialogue and therefore progress?

Must we talk about kainji dam every day?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Nov 01, 2019
Man..... I've always loved dreads and cornrows. I want to have long ass dreads like Damian Marley in my 30's.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by PrincessGift(f): 3:24pm On Nov 01, 2019
Their problem undecided local woman is not bothered
Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Nov 01, 2019
TheSourcerer:
cool but why would I sell my hair
Why not?

Indians make not less than 1b dollars annually selling their hairs.
That was like more that 10yrs ago when Chris Tucker did a documentary on human hair whatever.
Now our men that don't have hairs have started rocking wigs for men. Tell me, is it not people's hair they wear?
The problem with us is superstition and lack of knowledge.
U see costly dreadlocks weavon on the markets, that's somebody's hair.

Unless u didn't take care of it properly, u can rock it for yrs.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by tintingz(m): 3:56pm On Nov 01, 2019
midnighter:
Even in Jamaica where it originated it has a bad reputation

Its not to my personal taste but I dont think people who have them are automatically bad. The same goes for tattoos or piercings

You just reminded me of a lady I saw this morning with loc'ed hair...all the dreads were unform size, parted neatly... In fact I stopped walking just to look at them, they must have been the cleanest, neatest dreads I have ever seen

The dislike stems from the belief that people who wear them are irresponsible. And the spiritual connotation of "dada" doesnt really help either

I should think its a mixture of superstition and narrow-mindedness about what is "acceptable"

Correction: Dreadlocks didn't originate from Jamaica.

Do research before posting wrong info.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There A Senseless Fear And Dislike For Guys With Dreadlocks In Nigeria? by tintingz(m): 4:00pm On Nov 01, 2019
midnighter:

Excuse me, you are right. What I meant was where the recent "revival" started

They do not all detest dreadlocks but general society disapproves of it. It isnt really regarded well with them, if somebody like a minister wears it then they are doing it to make a statement.

Dreadlocks are kind of a sign of being razz for them. If they see you with it they will mentally put you in a particular category the same way most people here look down on tattoos

They are moving towards accepting it but a lot of schools and professions will not allow it

Another correction: Dreadlocks is not a sign of "razzness" in Jamaica, it's a religious thing called Rastafarian.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Get Your Long Lasting Designer Perfume Oil For Cheap / ”Agbada Is Not For Short Men” – Female Twitter User / How I Started My Fashion Jewelry Business With N100,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.