Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,195 members, 7,807,664 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:03 PM

Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? (24370 Views)

JAMB Score For Medicine, Is 248 Okay? / ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery / JAMB 2023 Cut Off Mark for Medicine, Law, Engineering, Accounting etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Ogegod87: 10:26am On Nov 02, 2019
iammo:
smiley

go to philipines and study medcine(its cheaper and faster), then strugule and smugle your self to america where your services are needed , the honest truth is doctors to patient ratio statistics shows that no matter how old a doctor is, he would still get a job

Plus, Adults learn better in universities than teenagers, especially when you are paying the tuition from your own pocket, you would want to enjoy all the value of your money in a classes

Thanks for this advice. This sort of applies to me. Been thinking of going back to school but by passion is nursing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Soul47(m): 10:26am On Nov 02, 2019
Go for it... Passion beats all in the long run

On the other hand, studying medicine and running a business may be quite complex

So weigh the options before going in for it.

If you can study overseas it'll be better tho cause the duration is usually shorter

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Isobug: 10:28am On Nov 02, 2019
lade007:

If you have about 3000dollars per year you can study in Romania. After your study you can work in any EU country. Thank me later
Hmmm....$3000 should be around #1.1M
if my calculation is right. Is that enough to Carter for the fees and processes? Is it this amount per session or what?
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Ogegod87: 10:31am On Nov 02, 2019
post=83674134:
@ 25, you are still very young to study medicine in school.

We went to school many years ago with a 39 year old man what was in 100 Level studying medicine.

He his doing very very well now as a full time medical Doctor.

Chase your dream.

If you can dream it, you can achieve it.

All the very best for the future.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by frozen70g(f): 10:37am On Nov 02, 2019
Your age shouldn't be a barrier, the most important thing is your passion for medicine, you will come out successfully if you commit your time to it

You don't need to go for service because you have done that before
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Truthbites: 10:37am On Nov 02, 2019
U are funny! I thought I u were 65 years! U are young at 25. U have a first degree. That's an added advantage. ...u may even start from 200 level..can medical students comment if he can start from 200level?

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Quality20(m): 10:37am On Nov 02, 2019
apply to cool universities like usmanu danfidiyo university Sokoto, u gonna even graduate on time, but I don't know if they take de
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by MT: 10:46am On Nov 02, 2019
Don't let your life be controlled by just a number. There is nothing that surpass fulfilment in this world. You could have loads of money and still die unfulfilled. That's just an incredible mystery of life
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Rajosh(m): 10:47am On Nov 02, 2019
isgombe:
Good afternoon my people.
I am currently 25years old and have A BSc. degree in physiology. I have passion for medicine an i wanted to re-apply, though the school that i want (is in my state) is partially accredited by MDCN, but they have final year student.

The reason i wanted to apply for the school is that i need to open a shop that i can be running my business and also.

Please I need your view considering my age? is it okay for me to start all over again from 100level or should i apply for DE in different state?

Thank you.
Bro after my pre-degree, I read a 5yr course, went for service and at 25, I went back to school to read my dream course Economics. I'm 27 now and I'm still in school. I tell you I have peace of mind now and joy. Forget about your age and read your dream course. you'll enjoy it in the long run

3 Likes

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Chukazu: 10:49am On Nov 02, 2019
isgombe:
Good afternoon my people.
I am currently 25years old and have A BSc. degree in physiology. I have passion for medicine an i wanted to re-apply, though the school that i want (is in my state) is partially accredited by MDCN, but they have final year student.

The reason i wanted to apply for the school is that i need to open a shop that i can be running my business and also.

Please I need your view considering my age? is it okay for me to start all over again from 100level or should i apply for DE in different state?

Thank you.

The Best advise I heard about pursuing Education with respect to Age.

If you don't enrol at the end of 30years you would be "30years with no additional certificate"

So is it not better you are " 30years with added certificate?"

4 Likes

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by mikkywebs(m): 10:54am On Nov 02, 2019
Go for what drives you regardless of your age.
Kudos. Never wake up to return to bed without making N10,000 per day. See my proof in the link below.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by pavoda: 10:54am On Nov 02, 2019
Do not allow the Nigerian society to set limitations to what you can focus and achieve.
Passion and the demand for service, should drive your decisions and not some arbitrary age limit. Use your head so you don’t regret not taking bold steps in life.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by olatunyemi(m): 10:54am On Nov 02, 2019
I am in OP shoe currently, may I know schools that take DE for MBSS, I have a very strong 2.1, very close to first class

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by RUDEBOYY(m): 11:01am On Nov 02, 2019
My brother you really don't need peoples opinion in pursuing what's right.
Also again is nothing when it comes with going after your dreams and aspirations.
If you really have the passion for savin life then what's it you are here seeking peoples say on it.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by ULSHERLAN(m): 11:04am On Nov 02, 2019
Whether you study medicine or not, you will still be 30 and even 40. So is it not better to study it

6 Likes

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by West2019(m): 11:11am On Nov 02, 2019
you have ur original primary school certificate ,go for business after one year u contest for councillor in ur ward .befor u get to the age of 32, u will come out for house of rep in ur state thank u
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 02, 2019
isgombe:
Thanks.

i need more suggestion please
I'm older than you, but I still went back to study medicine after my first degree. Like you, I was worrying myself about my age until I got the DE admission and discovered that guys who are over 40 are in medical school. I also saw an over 50-year old unmarried man studying law, and he's not distracted about what people say about him. Go for it, but check first if you can do it together with business. Medicine is not easy. If you don't work hard, you'll be expelled.

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Nobody: 11:43am On Nov 02, 2019
noblealuu:
Go for it but start a biz, number of Drs out there are jobless already and resorting to quackery to make ends meet shocked
That's a lie!!!
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Nobody: 11:50am On Nov 02, 2019
NNEWIsuper:
Let me advice you as a medical doctor, there is nothing wrong with you aspiring to go for mbbs through DE considering you're just 25. In my school then at unn almost half of my class where DE candidates or those who have been in one department or the other and only about 30% of us were pure freshers from secondary school.

here is the catch; never ever try to run business along with medicine, I mean never , it's stressful on its own and time consuming to study medicine let alone of combining it with business. Secondly never try to run the program in a partially accredited institution which is most likely going to be a state university. If you can abide by the two submissions above, as a physiology graduate you should be able to do your program and finish in time from a federal university
If he can afford the school fees of state universities, fully accredited state universities will offer him admission more easily than federal universities. Insofar as a medical school is fully accredited by MDCN, be it federal or state, doctor na doctor. So, he has a better chance of being offered admission in a fully accredited state university.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by mechanics(m): 11:50am On Nov 02, 2019
Why not, you are still young.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by maasoap(m): 11:59am On Nov 02, 2019
ornicus:

What is your passion for medicine? Do you want to help people, or do you just want the doctor status?

I was used to hearing this sentimental question a lot!
In Nigeria and elsewhere, people have different reasons for studying medicine: to help people, to be called medical doctor, i.e. tittle, to escape poverty as a result of good pay. One just need a motivation to go into it. "I want to help people", biggest lie of all

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by stevups(m): 12:03pm On Nov 02, 2019
Go for it. God help you. You will achieve it.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by airbrush: 12:04pm On Nov 02, 2019
kunleweb:
Go for it

i am doing law next year i am on the wrong end of 30
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Nov 02, 2019
iCauseTrouble:
Bro. I won't lie to you. Focus on ur business and grow it as if you are studying Medicine. Within the 6 years it will take you to acquire a MBBS certificate, you could have gathered enough money to build a hospital and employ doctors
OP, go for medicine if it's truly your dream. You'll regret it in 6 years if you don't pursue your dream. I'm talking out of experience. So many people discouraged me from studying medicine, that I should rather do a master's degree programme plus business. After 6 years, I realized I had not achieved my dream. My heart was filled with sadness. Within that 6 years, I saw my former coursemates who pursued their dream of being medical doctors immediately after our first degree, graduate and are now doing well. Undeterred, I went back to medical school. So, pursue your dream, original poster. You'll be glad you did.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Tony142: 12:07pm On Nov 02, 2019
iCauseTrouble:
Bro. I won't lie to you. Focus on ur business and grow it as if you are studying Medicine. Within the 6 years it will take you to acquire a MBBS certificate, you could have gathered enough money to build a hospital and employ doctors

Leave am, they will not listen, they think life is all about having a certificate embarassed
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Nov 02, 2019
maasoap:

I was used to hearing this sentimental question a lot!
In Nigeria and elsewhere, people have different reasons for studying medicine: to help people, to be called medical doctor, i.e. tittle, to escape poverty as a result of good pay. One just need a motivation to go into it. "I want to help people", biggest lie of all

the highlighted is the issue most people go into medicine because of status.
they assume money will come with it, but in this country, that is not guaranteed at all
i am an engineer, but i come from a medical family ;90% of my uni friends studied medicine
my sis is a doctor

most of them were extremely pissed at graduation. the people you entered uni with will start earning at least 4 years before you. and when you start earning it is not as if you will definitely be earning that much

things at a point were EXTREMELY messed up and my old man went to the middle east
OBJ did a lot with conmess, but it is still not enough.
even today, the real koko for doctors is public health. get a gig with CCCD or WHO.

I will not advise a person who is already old to study medicine.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by isgombe: 12:10pm On Nov 02, 2019
Thank you all for the contribution.

I will apply for jamb by God's Grace

1 Like

Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Nov 02, 2019
isgombe:

why?

The school has been running mbbs program for more than 9years now but they never graduate any set.

what am thinking is that in the next 2 to 3 years they will start graduating students

That guy is right. My Friend made a similar mistake and went to study architecture in a partially accredited school. Hoping they would get it before he graduates. It's been many years now and he hasn't graduated. Find a nearby school and run your program. Accreditation is not by magic and it may get to a point where they'll completely scrap the course.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by OgogoroFreak(m): 12:31pm On Nov 02, 2019
You are still young nah
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by EMDIEY: 12:51pm On Nov 02, 2019
[quote author=isgombe post=83655968]Good afternoon my people.

Well 25 is never late, especially if you are passionate as u said, but the reality is that MEDICINE is very demanding and can not be mixed with anything else. If u have someone trustworthy to run the business for u, good.
By accreditation from ur name i believe u mean GSU, i don't know what going on now but i believe by noe them prof kalaye and El nafaty should be pushing for the accreditation, cos it's long overdue. All the best.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by kman3000(m): 12:57pm On Nov 02, 2019
olatunyemi:
I am in OP shoe currently, may I know schools that take DE for MBSS, I have a very strong 2.1, very close to first class
almost all medical schools if not all take DE into 200l. Take the form and follow your dream, just do whatsoever makes sense to you. Do not go to a partially-accredited school.
Re: Should I Apply For Medicine Considering My Age? by iCauseTrouble: 1:14pm On Nov 02, 2019
Mandeyy:
OP, go for medicine if it's truly your dream. You'll regret it in 6 years if you don't pursue your dream. I'm talking out of experience. So many people discouraged me from studying medicine, that I should rather do a master's degree programme plus business. After 6 years, I realized I had not achieved my dream. My heart was filled with sadness. Within that 6 years, I saw my former coursemates who pursued their dream of being medical doctors immediately after our first degree, graduate and are now doing well. Undeterred, I went back to medical school. So, pursue your dream, original poster. You'll be glad you did.
Everything iw not certificate bro. Not just in the mood to share my personal story

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

#EndUniabujaOppression: University Of Abuja Students Protest (Photos) / Saratu Garba: 11-Year-Old Kano Maths Genius Gets World Bank-Assisted Scholarship / No Nigerian University Made It To The Top 1000 Universities In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.